FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

UK faces biggest rail strike in 30 years.

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Continue here, it was interesting to see the replies.

You can also copy and paste replies from the other thread to this one.

The biggest rail strikes in three decades are due to start on Monday night, with trains cancelled across geeat britain for much of the week.

The first of three 24 hour walkouts by 40,000 rmt members, including signallers, maintenance and train staff, will start just after midnight on tuesday morning, with only one in five trains running on strike days and halting services altogether in much of northern and south west england, wales and scotland.

What is the strike about do you think, is it cos of wages and wasnt there already a strike about a week ago or so and what did they achieve on that one?

I also heard that there will be more strikes to come, do you think that too?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ThundersMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I hope there are more strikes to come. For far too long fat cats have held far too much power over ordinary people. The unions aren't even asking for much. I'd much rather see more radical proposals; the UK is becoming a miserable place and big changes are needed.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My dad was a member of the NUR back in the seventies, the result of that strike did not become apparent until he passed, he passed leaving two houses, and money to leave in his will for his children, his children will pass on that wealth through generations.

So I see what the fight is here they strike for better opportunities for their children futures and a better standard of living for themselves and in their old age they can support themselves, without the need for a care home.

I agree with the right to withdraw labour if I am not benefitting from that labour.

over a year ago

Not sure what the solution is. It is pretty clear people are sick of stagnating wages and increasing prices. The current high inflation has just sped things up to strikes.

Highers taxes don't help either. Where is the money going? It's certainly not being well spent rejuvenating local communities or bringing services to a decent level.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"Not sure what the solution is. It is pretty clear people are sick of stagnating wages and increasing prices. The current high inflation has just sped things up to strikes.

Highers taxes don't help either. Where is the money going? It's certainly not being well spent rejuvenating local communities or bringing services to a decent level."

I'd think one area where taxes are being spent are on pandemic debt, £440 billion. Other than that, the usual NHS funding, infrastructure projects, defence projects, Scott, Welsh, Irish budgets, welfare spending and on and on

over a year ago

"I hope there are more strikes to come. For far too long fat cats have held far too much power over ordinary people. The unions aren't even asking for much. I'd much rather see more radical proposals; the UK is becoming a miserable place and big changes are needed."

A union is not a union if it excludes others. I didn't see Unite and others banging the same drum last week. Many of their members have been failed many times. Airline workers have a justifiable fight as they've been well fucked. Also if you're union leader is earning three times more than you. Who are they fighting for?

By *isandhers691127Couple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Only 3 times more, how much more does the ceo make?

over a year ago

"I hope there are more strikes to come. For far too long fat cats have held far too much power over ordinary people. The unions aren't even asking for much. I'd much rather see more radical proposals; the UK is becoming a miserable place and big changes are needed.

A union is not a union if it excludes others. I didn't see Unite and others banging the same drum last week. Many of their members have been failed many times. Airline workers have a justifiable fight as they've been well fucked. Also if you're union leader is earning three times more than you. Who are they fighting for? "

3 times more than whom? The lowest paid member of a union or the highest paid member ?

over a year ago

What you got to ask yourself is, why are the dozens of executives of these network rail and rail companies, earning 2,3,or even 4 times the salary of the prime minister before bonuses.

Taking money from the government in subsidies, but can't increase the average wage of the strikers of 31k in line with inflation.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

"Not sure what the solution is. It is pretty clear people are sick of stagnating wages and increasing prices. The current high inflation has just sped things up to strikes.

Highers taxes don't help either. Where is the money going? It's certainly not being well spent rejuvenating local communities or bringing services to a decent level."

Yes, it does seem that they already earn a lot, almost half of network rail staff earn more than £40,000, with more than a thousand employees earning £80,000-£120,000, do tube drivers earn the most compared to train drivers?

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"What you got to ask yourself is, why are the dozens of executives of these network rail and rail companies, earning 2,3,or even 4 times the salary of the prime minister before bonuses.

Taking money from the government in subsidies, but can't increase the average wage of the strikers of 31k in line with inflation. "

A bit like the nhs then and almost every other public sector company.

And the tax payer subsidies keep them going.

over a year ago

"What you got to ask yourself is, why are the dozens of executives of these network rail and rail companies, earning 2,3,or even 4 times the salary of the prime minister before bonuses.

Taking money from the government in subsidies, but can't increase the average wage of the strikers of 31k in line with inflation.

A bit like the nhs then and almost every other public sector company.

And the tax payer subsidies keep them going."

The NHS didn’t pay share holders £500 million last year

Post new Message to Thread