Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Official Name Changes

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This has been due for a but but today I’m annoyed at the world

Todays discussion will be the recent name change of Turkey to Turkiye at a formal UN level(basically this means every official body has to legally call it that in the English language),This will necessitate millions of pounds spent by various governments to accommodate this.This was done by Erdogan to increase his power and prestige.

Bear in mind there are several countries whose names are different internally and externally when talked about in foreign languages(The UK,Greece,Germany and Mexico are further examples) should they and we demand the same is done for us?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eachcplCouple
over a year ago

blackpool/preston/normandy france

Well if the dickhead of a prime minister has his way the UK will soon be changing to Boris World but don't worry he will get someone else to pay for all the changes

By *uninlondon69Man
over a year ago

Tower Bridge South

As an aside on Germany, it always intrigues me when you see them at the Olympics. Their kit has Germany, not Deutschland on it. Why?

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"As an aside on Germany, it always intrigues me when you see them at the Olympics. Their kit has Germany, not Deutschland on it. Why? "

The official languages of the olympics is French and English and host countries so you have to have your name as one recognised by that language.There names are announced in the most commonly accepted French/English.

Another example is that China internally is called Zhonggou while called China or Chine at the olympics.

Germany is generally a weird country when it comes to external names although.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Changing a name to prevent confusion between itself and a bird isn’t a bad thing.

Well there is the general confusion about speaking English and being English, but it’s normally suffixed with the country the person is from, But it is strange, it’s considering its British English, not Scottish English, or English English, or Welsh English or even Irish English.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"Well if the dickhead of a prime minister has his way the UK will soon be changing to Boris World but don't worry he will get someone else to pay for all the changes "

I think it is only England that will change to Boris World. The other nations have more sense

over a year ago

"Well if the dickhead of a prime minister has his way the UK will soon be changing to Boris World but don't worry he will get someone else to pay for all the changes

I think it is only England that will change to Boris World. The other nations have more sense"

Will not be BJ world. Now that would increase tourism dramatically

over a year ago

"This has been due for a but but today I’m annoyed at the world

Todays discussion will be the recent name change of Turkey to Turkiye at a formal UN level(basically this means every official body has to legally call it that in the English language),This will necessitate millions of pounds spent by various governments to accommodate this.This was done by Erdogan to increase his power and prestige.

Bear in mind there are several countries whose names are different internally and externally when talked about in foreign languages(The UK,Greece,Germany and Mexico are further examples) should they and we demand the same is done for us?

"

I think your being over dramatic about this. Name changes have been done by a lot countries in the past, and a country as a right to call itself whatever it wants.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Life's too short to be annoyed at such things, turn the phone to silent and get out in nature for a walk..

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

"Life's too short to be annoyed at such things, turn the phone to silent and get out in nature for a walk.. "

Indeed. Imagine how upset he'll be when Scotland doesn't have to change its name but rUK does? LOL

By *othin 2 proveCouple
over a year ago

Blackpool

Well the Nhs are happy to use terms like pregnant people and chest feeders etc etc so name changing is all around us.

Post new Message to Thread