Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Section 30

Jump to newest

By *oversfun OP   Couple
over a year ago

ayrshire

If england,wales or the north of ireland want to leave the uk would they need a section 30 order

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Building a hard border around the M25 would probably solve a lot of problems for all the UK nations.

By *oversfun OP   Couple
over a year ago

ayrshire

"Building a hard border around the M25 would probably solve a lot of problems for all the UK nations. "

So your same as me you dont know answer lol

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

[Removed by poster at 18/06/22 15:31:15]

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

"If england,wales or the north of ireland want to leave the uk would they need a section 30 order"

If England wanted independence from the UK, who would they ask for permission from to hold a referendum?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"If england,wales or the north of ireland want to leave the uk would they need a section 30 order

If England wanted independence from the UK, who would they ask for permission from to hold a referendum? "

It would have to be Scotland as the 1st King of England was Scottish!

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

That's not historically accurate; though I know what you meant.

The Union is a treaty, not a country - something many of our English friends, particularly their politicians, forget.

As far as leaving it goes, the Westminster Parliament does have to assent to a referendum being held (as in 2014) to see if the majority of the voters in the country that asks for it, actually want to leave.

I'm not sure what the procedure is if England wants to dissolve the Union - not that their politicians ever would; certainly not the Tory ones.

At any rate, you can be certain they'll never ask the English people - especially on independence for Scotland; partly due to the fact they can't be sure they won't vote for it.

Remember - none of them really thought the Brexit vote would be a Yes.

That's why they've made such a huge mess of it since it happened; they were not prepared. The few amongst them who really understood what leaving the EU meant, never thought they'd have to deal with it.

Well, that and massively incompetent leadership at every level of the Cabinet. That has to be factored in.

England is the only part of the UK that would not sustain significant economic hardship by leaving it.

It is also the only part that still wouldn't be a representative democracy.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"If england,wales or the north of ireland want to leave the uk would they need a section 30 order"

Like most I don't know either about section 30. I have found out that about 15-20 years ago there was a call for England to leave the UK but it never came to much. According to some of the bits I read, it was claimed that England is the only part of the UK to run a surplus in financial terms. I'm not sure how true that was and was quite a while ago

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

[Removed by poster at 19/06/22 02:40:30]

over a year ago

"If england,wales or the north of ireland want to leave the uk would they need a section 30 order

If England wanted independence from the UK, who would they ask for permission from to hold a referendum?

It would have to be Scotland as the 1st King of England was Scottish!"

No he wasn’t

over a year ago

Like most I don't know either about section 30. I have found out that about 15-20 years ago there was a call for England to leave the UK but it never came to much. According to some of the bits I read, it was claimed that England is the only part of the UK to run a surplus in financial terms. I'm not sure how true that was and was quite a while ago"

Around 2016 if I recall correctly the English Independence Party came to its highest popularity.

It was utter rubbish that didn’t take into account many factors not least the effects of drawing two long borders along the north and west and the fact that all the territories would have to be lost kicking them out of the med a massive source of UK prestige.

Basically its a lit of folks assuming a zero sum equation with magic sunlit uplands.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Like most I don't know either about section 30. I have found out that about 15-20 years ago there was a call for England to leave the UK but it never came to much. According to some of the bits I read, it was claimed that England is the only part of the UK to run a surplus in financial terms. I'm not sure how true that was and was quite a while ago

Around 2016 if I recall correctly the English Independence Party came to its highest popularity.

It was utter rubbish that didn’t take into account many factors not least the effects of drawing two long borders along the north and west and the fact that all the territories would have to be lost kicking them out of the med a massive source of UK prestige.

Basically its a lit of folks assuming a zero sum equation with magic sunlit uplands."

Oh wow, I did not know it was as recent as that. As you say it never came to anything in the end.

By *wosmilersCouple
over a year ago

Heathrowish

It would have to be Scotland as the 1st King of England was Scottish!"

I always thought it was Aethelstan ...and he was definitely born in England.

Post new Message to Thread