Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Ukraine and Joining the EU

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Good to see they are doing that, but considering Turkey a NATO ally and a key strategic partner of the EU for many years hasn’t been accepted and they have done quite a lot, doesn’t it feel that double standards are in play in the EU?

It just feels prejudiced.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Good to see they are doing that, but considering Turkey a NATO ally and a key strategic partner of the EU for many years hasn’t been accepted and they have done quite a lot, doesn’t it feel that double standards are in play in the EU?

It just feels prejudiced. "

Probably not the correct forum to even discuss this given the hatred towards the EU and all it stands for on here!

Expect a very biased response as how can Fabbers argue for Ukraine to be fast tracked into something that they despise and have argued would self destruct imminently?

Your point about Turkey (in my opinion) is however valid however Turkey has still not met the criteria to satisfy entry to the EU.

Ukraine may have been accepted to have their application fast tracked but they too will still have to meet the criteria and standards as laid down by the commission and be accepted by the other members.

Ukraine becoming an EU member and being fast tracked are two very different things.

Let's see how this plans out.

over a year ago

Like Diver says above Turkey(or Turkiye now) doesn't meet the standards to get into the EU at min.

Also like he says Ukrainian membership is only being fast tracked at minute they will still have to make the sacrifices required to join the EU and it will be subject to a veto. Basically Ukraine is being attacked by a sworn enemy of the EU that has sworn to dominate large parts of it of course they would like it in.

Turkey meanwhile is softly sliding towards dictatorship and seems to Erdogan seems to love comparing himself to an empire that has a lot of sour memories for the Balkan countries.

Turkey also hasn't made the monetary sacrifices required to join and breaks the EU rule that you can't dispute territory with another EU nation(for the most part) to join successfully.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Yes Turkey only applied in 1987 and was given the green light in 1999 that took only 12 years for the EU to make up their mind.23 years later they still have not met the requirements.

over a year ago

"Yes Turkey only applied in 1987 and was given the green light in 1999 that took only 12 years for the EU to make up their mind.23 years later they still have not met the requirements. "

Now that the country that put up all the vetoes and was such a pain in the ass has left (..checks notes .... Global Sovereign Britain....), perhaps things will run more smoothly.

over a year ago

"Yes Turkey only applied in 1987 and was given the green light in 1999 that took only 12 years for the EU to make up their mind.23 years later they still have not met the requirements.

Now that the country that put up all the vetoes and was such a pain in the ass has left (..checks notes .... Global Sovereign Britain....), perhaps things will run more smoothly. "

Countries are desperate to join the EU, only one country has ever left

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Yes Turkey only applied in 1987 and was given the green light in 1999 that took only 12 years for the EU to make up their mind.23 years later they still have not met the requirements.

Now that the country that put up all the vetoes and was such a pain in the ass has left (..checks notes .... Global Sovereign Britain....), perhaps things will run more smoothly.

Countries are desperate to join the EU, only one country has ever left "

But, but maybe they are all wrong..

over a year ago

Turkey is not a true ally. Turkey is only allowed in Natos umbrella to try and keep Russian and Chinese influence to a minimum with them.

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

Turkey? Hell no!

over a year ago

Double standards with NATO and the EU?

Never! What a crazy idea

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"Yes Turkey only applied in 1987 and was given the green light in 1999 that took only 12 years for the EU to make up their mind.23 years later they still have not met the requirements. "

Yes. They have very high standards, it's not easy to join. But yet every country wants to.

Imagine being a country doing something as moronic as voting to leave.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"Good to see they are doing that, but considering Turkey a NATO ally and a key strategic partner of the EU for many years hasn’t been accepted and they have done quite a lot, doesn’t it feel that double standards are in play in the EU?

Before this dreadful war started, was Ukraine eligible to join the EU. I dont mean the initial stages but did they meet the full criteria to actually join

over a year ago

Before this dreadful war started, was Ukraine eligible to join the EU. I dont mean the initial stages but did they meet the full criteria to actually join"

They haven't met the criteria to join now so doubtful that they met it beforehand!

A lot of UK people either upset that Ukraine has been fast tracked to join the EU.

Honest question...

Is that because they would advise Ukraine to not do so - given all the reasons cited for the UK to leave

Or

Is it because they have no say in the matter as they left the club?

over a year ago

Before this dreadful war started, was Ukraine eligible to join the EU. I dont mean the initial stages but did they meet the full criteria to actually join

They haven't met the criteria to join now so doubtful that they met it beforehand!

A lot of UK people either upset that Ukraine has been fast tracked to join the EU.

Honest question...

Is that because they would advise Ukraine to not do so - given all the reasons cited for the UK to leave

Or

Is it because they have no say in the matter as they left the club?"

Or

Is it because they are so bitter and twisted that what they really want is the EU to fail

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Honest question...

Or

Is it because they have no say in the matter as they left the club?"

To me its the other way around. I was thinking that at present with the war their economy is unlikely to meet the criterea. But before the war, did their econamy meet the criterea then?

Who are the people in the UK that do not want Ukraine to join the EU. I have not seen it on these threads though it's possible I missed it.

over a year ago

Honest question...

Or

To me its the other way around. I was thinking that at present with the war their economy is unlikely to meet the criterea. But before the war, did their econamy meet the criterea then?

Who are the people in the UK that do not want Ukraine to join the EU. I have not seen it on these threads though it's possible I missed it."

True, I haven’t seen anyone complain about it eityher however there are plenty of people who want the EU to fail , not sure why though

By *hybloke67Man
over a year ago

ROMFORD

Honest question...

Or

Who are the people in the UK that do not want Ukraine to join the EU. I have not seen it on these threads though it's possible I missed it."

Exactly, who are the people who have complained. Has anyone seen posters on here complain?

I can't remember reading on here about people complaining about it?

For Ukraine it will be a great move as a post war Ukraine will have to get €Billions from the EU to rebuild.

over a year ago

Honest question...

Or

Who are the people in the UK that do not want Ukraine to join the EU. I have not seen it on these threads though it's possible I missed it.

Exactly, who are the people who have complained. Has anyone seen posters on here complain?

For Ukraine it will be a great move as a post war Ukraine will have to get €Billions from the EU to rebuild. "

Of course they will - along with the unicorns and sunlit uplands promised by your great leader.

By *hybloke67Man
over a year ago

ROMFORD

Honest question...

Or

For Ukraine it will be a great move as a post war Ukraine will have to get €Billions from the EU to rebuild.

Of course they will - along with the unicorns and sunlit uplands promised by your great leader."

So you are saying Ukraine will not get money from the EU when they join?

over a year ago

Honest question...

Or

Of course they will - along with the unicorns and sunlit uplands promised by your great leader.

So you are saying Ukraine will not get money from the EU when they join?"

Why are you trying to get (me?) To answer a yes no question that you have created?

Do you think that I make the decisions for the EU?

You obviously have jumped to Uktaine already being accepted - on what authority do you make that assumption?

Do you perhaps have the final decision and are just testing us?

Perhaps that's it - you seem like a clever bloke who already knows all the answers so why bit spill the beans.

Or stop wasting our time talking shite.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Nothing to do with us.

By *hybloke67Man
over a year ago

ROMFORD

Honest question...

Or

So you are saying Ukraine will not get money from the EU when they join?

Why are you trying to get (me?) To answer a yes no question that you have created?

Do you think that I make the decisions for the EU?

You obviously have jumped to Uktaine already being accepted - on what authority do you make that assumption?

Do you perhaps have the final decision and are just testing us?

Perhaps that's it - you seem like a clever bloke who already knows all the answers so why bit spill the beans.

Or stop wasting our time talking shite.

"

Why, because you made a sarcastic reply to my previous post that's why!

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

Obviously, Ukraine won't be joining the EU any time soon.

Even if the current war were not a factor, their vast agricultural capacity would have meant a rewrite of CAP rules.

We all know that the one thing French politicians are all wary of is their farmers (to use the generic term).

So, even in ideal circumstances, Ukraine's membership would be hotly debated - on that issue alone.

I wonder if Boris tried to persuade Zelensky of the advantages of not being in the EU?

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Honest question...

Or

For Ukraine it will be a great move as a post war Ukraine will have to get €Billions from the EU to rebuild. "

I'm glad it's not just me that has not seen anyone complaining about Ukraine joining the EU. I agree they could possibly be a good fit for the EU though the problem could be.... they need money to rebuild and rebuild the economy. They may not qualify for the EU until they have done so which would be there main source of funds

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"I agree they could possibly be a good fit for the EU though the problem could be.... they need money to rebuild and rebuild the economy. They may not qualify for the EU until they have done so which would be there main source of funds"

I can't see the EU applying the rules too strictly there. The voter base will want Ukraine to be accepted quickly so that it can be helped to rebuild. I think there would be a lot of pressure to ignore the usual financial constraints in this one special case.

By *oldswarriorMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Honest question...

Or

Of course they will - along with the unicorns and sunlit uplands promised by your great leader."

Like our glorious leader is promising if we get independence.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"I agree they could possibly be a good fit for the EU though the problem could be.... they need money to rebuild and rebuild the economy. They may not qualify for the EU until they have done so which would be there main source of funds

I can't see the EU applying the rules too strictly there. The voter base will want Ukraine to be accepted quickly so that it can be helped to rebuild. I think there would be a lot of pressure to ignore the usual financial constraints in this one special case."

That is a possibility though the EU promotes itself as a rules based organization. I don't think people in general will have a problem with the rules being ignored given the situation but the other countries that are waiting to join may not be overly pleased

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

currently travelling down W France

Honest question...

Or

True, I haven’t seen anyone complain about it eityher however there are plenty of people who want the EU to fail , not sure why though "

The reason is quite simple, they've seen the disaster for the UK they voted for after we left and their only hope now is that the EU will fail and justify them.

Can't see it myself

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Honest question...

Or

True, I haven’t seen anyone complain about it eityher however there are plenty of people who want the EU to fail , not sure why though "

There may be a few though I think maybe they predict the EU will fail eventually which is not the same as wanting it to fail. I don't know what will happen to it but having prosperous European countries is good for everyone

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Honest question...

Or

True, I haven’t seen anyone complain about it eityher however there are plenty of people who want the EU to fail , not sure why though

There may be a few though I think maybe they predict the EU will fail eventually which is not the same as wanting it to fail. I don't know what will happen to it but having prosperous European countries is good for everyone "

Exactly this i haven't seen many wanting to see the eu fail you may get the odd one but thats the internet for you. Just another misconception by some remainers that if you voted leave you want it to fail.

over a year ago

Honest question...

Or

There may be a few though I think maybe they predict the EU will fail eventually which is not the same as wanting it to fail. I don't know what will happen to it but having prosperous European countries is good for everyone Exactly this i haven't seen many wanting to see the eu fail you may get the odd one but thats the internet for you. Just another misconception by some remainers that if you voted leave you want it to fail. "

at least weve created up that thinking something isn't going to work, isnt hoping it doesnt.

Post new Message to Thread