Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

No Fault Evictions - Banned

Jump to newest

By *V-Alice OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

Well done the Tories. Obviously, I don't say that much. In this case, the praise is warranted.

In case any of you are worried about this, they've been banned in Scotland since 1st December 2017. There's been no ill effects.

The ban doesn't stop private landlords from renting.

It just stops them making people homeless in the pursuit of money.

Anyway, nice one, HMG - a wee diamond in a mountain of shit.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Well done the Tories. Obviously, I don't say that much. In this case, the praise is warranted.

In case any of you are worried about this, they've been banned in Scotland since 1st December 2017. There's been no ill effects.

The ban doesn't stop private landlords from renting.

It just stops them making people homeless in the pursuit of money.

Anyway, nice one, HMG - a wee diamond in a mountain of shit."

I agree, it is welcome news

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

Who would have thought that it would be the Tories that brought in this policy?

The Labour-run Welsh government have only managed to extend the notice period from 2 months to 6 months. A welcome change, but it looks rather y now.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I dunno the specifics

Can a landlord still evict someone with proper notice?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"I dunno the specifics

Can a landlord still evict someone with proper notice? "

It's only a proposal so far, but the idea is that a tenant cannot be evicted unless they break the contract in some way.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"I dunno the specifics

It's only a proposal so far, but the idea is that a tenant cannot be evicted unless they break the contract in some way."

Hmmm… dunno if I agree with that. I’m all for giving ample time for tenants to find new housing. But if you own the house, I feel the house is yours. You should be able to evict someone without reason

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Hmmm… dunno if I agree with that. I’m all for giving ample time for tenants to find new housing. But if you own the house, I feel the house is yours. You should be able to evict someone without reason "

As a general principle, I can see your point of view.

However, the vast majority of section 21 evictions are being made by landlords that just want to get rid of an annoying tenant. Lots of landlords are letting their properties fall into disrepair, and when the tenant complains, they kick them out and get another one. It needs to be stopped.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"Hmmm… dunno if I agree with that. I’m all for giving ample time for tenants to find new housing. But if you own the house, I feel the house is yours. You should be able to evict someone without reason

As a general principle, I can see your point of view.

However, the vast majority of section 21 evictions are being made by landlords that just want to get rid of an annoying tenant. Lots of landlords are letting their properties fall into disrepair, and when the tenant complains, they kick them out and get another one. It needs to be stopped."

Hopefully there can be a middle ground then. Letting tenants live in a property indefinitely doesn’t sit well with me.

There needs to be a balance between tenants and landlords rights

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"I dunno the specifics

It's only a proposal so far, but the idea is that a tenant cannot be evicted unless they break the contract in some way.

Hmmm… dunno if I agree with that. I’m all for giving ample time for tenants to find new housing. But if you own the house, I feel the house is yours. You should be able to evict someone without reason "

I think a landlord can ask a tenant to leave with the appropriate notice period. However like the poster above points out, this change prevents a landlord from evicting a tenant who is asking for improvements, or their rights to be upheld. This will stop landlords replacing one tenant with another, without good reason.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

It’s to stop slum landlords rotating tenants and evicting those who complain or perhaps involve the local authority trying to insist on improvements such as fix the leaking boiler . You can still give due notice on a property.

If the tenant has complained immediately before you give notice then i think the courts will decide if it’s a fair notice or an unfair eviction.

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"It’s to stop slum landlords rotating tenants and evicting those who complain or perhaps involve the local authority trying to insist on improvements such as fix the leaking boiler . You can still give due notice on a property.

If the tenant has complained immediately before you give notice then i think the courts will decide if it’s a fair notice or an unfair eviction. "

You assume all landlords are arses and m tenants are angels. Nothing could be further from the truth

over a year ago

As I live and breath, a Corbyn policy being taken on by the tories, but as with all stolen policies it’s going to be riddled with get out clauses which are in favour of the landlords.

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"As I live and breath, a Corbyn policy being taken on by the tories, but as with all stolen policies it’s going to be riddled with get out clauses which are in favour of the landlords."

Because all tenants are angels

over a year ago

"As I live and breath, a Corbyn policy being taken on by the tories, but as with all stolen policies it’s going to be riddled with get out clauses which are in favour of the landlords.

Because all tenants are angels"

And all landlords are wonderful.

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"As I live and breath, a Corbyn policy being taken on by the tories, but as with all stolen policies it’s going to be riddled with get out clauses which are in favour of the landlords.

And all landlords are wonderful."

FFS you're an annoyance. It goes both ways yes you only support one side of the argument.

over a year ago

And all landlords are wonderful.

FFS you're an annoyance. It goes both ways yes you only support one side of the argument. "

Why thank you!, I’ll take that as progress! , let’s get you out of that echo chamber and into the actual world eh?

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"It’s to stop slum landlords rotating tenants and evicting those who complain or perhaps involve the local authority trying to insist on improvements such as fix the leaking boiler . You can still give due notice on a property.

If the tenant has complained immediately before you give notice then i think the courts will decide if it’s a fair notice or an unfair eviction.

You assume all landlords are arses and m tenants are angels. Nothing could be further from the truth "

I’m not saying anything of the sort so read my post again. I’m commenting on reasoning behind the changes .

Where do I pick a side and assume?

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

You assume all landlords are arses and m tenants are angels. Nothing could be further from the truth

I’m not saying anything of the sort so read my post again. I’m commenting on reasoning behind the changes .

Where do I pick a side and assume? "

the way that i see this there are bad actors on both sides landlords and tennants at the moment the law is skewed very much to the landlord who can evict on a wim the tenant can only go through the courts by wich time a section 29 order has been issued and they are out leaving the landlord to let there poorly maintained property to another unsuspecting tenant largley at you and i expence through housing benefits if you are happy for unscrupuless land lords to line thier pockets with your taxes crack on . no system is perfect

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Where do I pick a side and assume? the way that i see this there are bad actors on both sides landlords and tennants at the moment the law is skewed very much to the landlord who can evict on a wim the tenant can only go through the courts by wich time a section 29 order has been issued and they are out leaving the landlord to let there poorly maintained property to another unsuspecting tenant largley at you and i expence through housing benefits if you are happy for unscrupuless land lords to line thier pockets with your taxes crack on . no system is perfect

"

Not so do you have any idea how long it takes a landlord to evict someone who is not paying the rent legally?

Not all landlords are bad as not all tenants are but the good and bad works both ways.

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

I think this is just gong to be another “story” put about by the Tories to deflect from the upcoming by-elections. If it happens, and that’s a bloody big if, it will most likely be a very diluted version of this headline grabbing “story”.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Oh there’s a surprise someone has called it a deflection

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

"Oh there’s a surprise someone has called it a deflection "

Have you not noticed that ex-newspaper man Boris is constantly dropping “stories” to give the impression to the general public that he and his cabinet are getting on with things and these “stories” always appear at times when something dubious is being done ie breaking international laws and agreements which lead to your ethics adviser resigning. If you can’t see it then I pity you!

over a year ago

Want make much difference most will just unregister and I'll still get a list from my letting agent with the best potential client so can still stop pets and people with bad credit and what was dhss as for rent rises want make much just put in contact goes up every year simples.

Post new Message to Thread