Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Rwanda flight

Jump to newest

By *topthepress OP   Man
over a year ago

MANCHESTER

Why are people blaming the EU for this flight being cancelled? European court of Human rights was formed in 1959 years before the EU nothing to do with the EU

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Post Truth world.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

ive not seen anyone blaming the eu where have you seen that?

By *topthepress OP   Man
over a year ago

MANCHESTER

Been happening all day chatting to people in work

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

In fairness it's not unexpected. Something always seems to crop up when the government suddenly decide to take action. They can't win really, as folk will grumble if an entire plane took of with 6 or 7 people when hundreds arrive illegally every day.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Because some people are thick as shit.

These will be the same people who blamed the EU for the UK being unable to control illegal migration despite it being a continent wide problem and despite many countries, Germany in particular, taking far more asylum seekers than the UK and despite the fact the the free movement of EU citizens has absolutely nothing to do with illegal immigration.

I can't decide if the world would be a better or worse place if people were more intelligent. I think on balance it would be worse, at least those with a complete lack of empathy and an outsize helping of bigotry are on average too thick to do anything but spout nonsense.

Mr

By *topthepress OP   Man
over a year ago

MANCHESTER

I agree I wonder how many people who voted leave EU actually know anything about it or how it works

By *bernathCouple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

We sign up to a convention, we agreed to it, and now they are backing out of our obligations, they break laws and they lie, they damage our reputation as a force for justice in this world.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

I was under the illudion that all illegal immigrants would be taken there, processed and those who were successful return here. I recently found out that only 500 people would be sent there, if you get accepted you get to live in Rwands.

Is it me, or is this another tory shit show that is only another deflection.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

"Why are people blaming the EU for this flight being cancelled? European court of Human rights was formed in 1959 years before the EU nothing to do with the EU"

Dunno, but we signed it and agreed to abide by it is and that's exactly what we should do.

Another Tory home goal.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

"I agree I wonder how many people who voted leave EU actually know anything about it or how it works "

Or did they just believe the government's who deflected blame wrongly in the direction of Brussels to save their own faces.

Red Tops were always quick to slate the EU instead of the government and they played a major park in the 30 year anti European rhetoric.

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"I was under the illudion that all illegal immigrants would be taken there, processed and those who were successful return here. I recently found out that only 500 people would be sent there, if you get accepted you get to live in Rwands.

Is it me, or is this another tory shit show that is only another deflection. "

,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, No its not you its a Tory sh1t show

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"I agree I wonder how many people who voted leave EU actually know anything about it or how it works "

Even now, a lot of people have no clue about what the EU is or does.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"In fairness it's not unexpected. Something always seems to crop up when the government suddenly decide to take action. They can't win really, as folk will grumble if an entire plane took of with 6 or 7 people when hundreds arrive illegally every day."

It's always a grumble when those pesky human rights pop up to interfere with the government distracting stupid people with "immigrants are causing all your problems" nonsense.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"In fairness it's not unexpected. Something always seems to crop up when the government suddenly decide to take action. They can't win really, as folk will grumble if an entire plane took of with 6 or 7 people when hundreds arrive illegally every day.

It's always a grumble when those pesky human rights pop up to interfere with the government distracting stupid people with "immigrants are causing all your problems" nonsense. "

I’ve never heard or seen anything where it’s claimed “immigrants are causing all the problems “. Did you make it up?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"In fairness it's not unexpected. Something always seems to crop up when the government suddenly decide to take action. They can't win really, as folk will grumble if an entire plane took of with 6 or 7 people when hundreds arrive illegally every day.

It's always a grumble when those pesky human rights pop up to interfere with the government distracting stupid people with "immigrants are causing all your problems" nonsense.

I’ve never heard or seen anything where it’s claimed “immigrants are causing all the problems “. Did you make it up? "

I would give up mate you cant debate with someone who believes the voices in their head.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

I’ve never heard or seen anything where it’s claimed “immigrants are causing all the problems “. Did you make it up? "

You should read these forums, and the newspapers/media that the majority of Fab users read. It's a firm view held by a lot of people.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

I’ve never heard or seen anything where it’s claimed “immigrants are causing all the problems “. Did you make it up? I would give up mate you cant debate with someone who believes the voices in their head. "

Ridiculous comment.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

I’ve never heard or seen anything where it’s claimed “immigrants are causing all the problems “. Did you make it up?

You should read these forums, and the newspapers/media that the majority of Fab users read. It's a firm view held by a lot of people."

You got any links or examples as all i see in the media is Russia,corona virus, leaving the eu and boris are causing the problems not once have i seen immigrants being blamed.So a link or too would be good to see to back up your claim,ive no idea what media you look at.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

You should read these forums, and the newspapers/media that the majority of Fab users read. It's a firm view held by a lot of people.You got any links or examples as all i see in the media is Russia,corona virus, leaving the eu and boris are causing the problems not once have i seen immigrants being blamed.So a link or too would be good to see to back up your claim,ive no idea what media you look at. "

Can't post links on here.

And you're being deliberately ridiculous.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

You should read these forums, and the newspapers/media that the majority of Fab users read. It's a firm view held by a lot of people.You got any links or examples as all i see in the media is Russia,corona virus, leaving the eu and boris are causing the problems not once have i seen immigrants being blamed.So a link or too would be good to see to back up your claim,ive no idea what media you look at.

And you're being deliberately ridiculous. "

yes you can if they are from a credible source ive done it loads of times when ask and im not being ridiculous im asking for you to back up your claim with some evidence when i cannot find one thing that backs it up.

Either these media reports exist or as i said they are just in your head.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

You should read these forums, and the newspapers/media that the majority of Fab users read. It's a firm view held by a lot of people.You got any links or examples as all i see in the media is Russia,corona virus, leaving the eu and boris are causing the problems not once have i seen immigrants being blamed.So a link or too would be good to see to back up your claim,ive no idea what media you look at.

And you're being deliberately ridiculous. yes you can if they are from a credible source ive done it loads of times when ask and im not being ridiculous im asking for you to back up your claim with some evidence when i cannot find one thing that backs it up.

Either these media reports exist or as i said they are just in your head. "

Of course you can post links, you aren't someone who expresses critical options of the government/brexit etc.

Try being someone who questions the government. You get hounded to shit and all your posts get reported.

I won't be goaded into a forum ban.

Clearly a large portion of the population blame immigrants for problems caused by the government. You can deny it, fine, but it's utterly pointless to discuss anything if you pretend that reality isn't real.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

You should read these forums, and the newspapers/media that the majority of Fab users read. It's a firm view held by a lot of people."

And why some voted to leave..

Note the word some before getting all red faced 'some of you'..

over a year ago

in Lancashire

And you're being deliberately ridiculous. yes you can if they are from a credible source ive done it loads of times when ask and im not being ridiculous im asking for you to back up your claim with some evidence when i cannot find one thing that backs it up.

Either these media reports exist or as i said they are just in your head.

Of course you can post links, you aren't someone who expresses critical options of the government/brexit etc.

Try being someone who questions the government. You get hounded to shit and all your posts get reported.

Clearly a large portion of the population blame immigrants for problems caused by the government. You can deny it, fine, but it's utterly pointless to discuss anything if you pretend that reality isn't real."

It was some who blamed the Heuguenot in the 16th century, then the Jew's in the 18th century, then the Windward immigrants, then the Ugandan Asians, then the Romanian etc..

And the Irish let's not forget..

Common fact is that division and someone to blame has been the easy line to put out as some don't want to see further than that for their own misfortune ..

Tried and tested and it works today, fucks sake Roman politicians were doing it as was Goebbels..

Divide and rule, look over there..

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Illegal immigrants aren't causing all the problems. They are their own problem for us to solve as there is only so much treasury money to spend each year.

Without resorting to baseless slander of stupidity or bigotry perhaps folk should come up with a solution that is better? That is a solution aside from "Blame the Tories and those who vote for them". That thinking is what's really thick as you're just passing the problems onto your own fictional malicious group.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"Illegal immigrants aren't causing all the problems. They are their own problem for us to solve as there is only so much treasury money to spend each year.

Without resorting to baseless slander of stupidity or bigotry perhaps folk should come up with a solution that is better? That is a solution aside from "Blame the Tories and those who vote for them". That thinking is what's really thick as you're just passing the problems onto your own fictional malicious group."

Lol

Look! This post is exactly what we're saying. Don't blame the Tories! It's the immigrants.

Amazing.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Illegal immigrants aren't causing all the problems. They are their own problem for us to solve as there is only so much treasury money to spend each year.

Without resorting to baseless slander of stupidity or bigotry perhaps folk should come up with a solution that is better? That is a solution aside from "Blame the Tories and those who vote for them". That thinking is what's really thick as you're just passing the problems onto your own fictional malicious group."

To clarify, you think the only solution to this problem is to fly them to Rwanda and return with people from Rwanda?

over a year ago

in Lancashire

The solution given we have the equivalent of an idealogical cabal where some of the decent embers of the Tory party were hounded out before the last election and the cabinet is made up largely of blinkered brexiteers is to either remove the current party from office or watch as the PM continues to debase the position he holds which 41% of his own think he's not fit for..

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Without resorting to baseless slander of stupidity or bigotry perhaps folk should come up with a solution that is better? That is a solution aside from "Blame the Tories and those who vote for them". That thinking is what's really thick as you're just passing the problems onto your own fictional malicious group.

To clarify, you think the only solution to this problem is to fly them to Rwanda and return with people from Rwanda? "

To be fair the poster said, come up with solutions that are better.

I have a feeling a solutions thread would be a rather small thread, but very heated.

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

Just send them back to France.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Just send them back to France. "

How?

over a year ago

Illegal, we could when we were in the EU but you voted for Brexit , try again

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Refugees are a cost. Agreed.

There is only so much the treasury can spend. Mostly agree. (They have a tax and debt lever).

Imo the spend on refugees is a distraction from looking at other areas. Spending money on people who need real help feels an okay spend, even if they don't have a UK passport. Yes, there will be limits. But I'd bet there are better ways of saving 2bn if we really needed to.

If we do want to reduce spend on refugees, I'm not convinced Rwanda is the answer. Irrc the benefit case is "if people know they will end up in Rwanda that will put them off from coming". Rather than we can reduce the costs per refugee.

My quick solution (as others have also suggested) is to work with other countries to manage closer to asylum hot spots. And find ways of better encouraging ppl to use these sites.

Unfortunately I feel we are burning collaboration bridges quickly. Ironically that may be a reason why we are seeing more boat crossings. There is no Dublin accord to fall back on.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"Just send them back to France.

How?"

Cheapest form of transport available - P&O ferry.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Can't post links on here.

I won't be goaded into a forum ban."

You won't get a forum ban. The forum rules explicitly state "You can link to: Any well recognised news site (bbc, times, telegraph, sun, notw, cnn and all the rest)". So you're able to post any news story from a major news site. Even the News of the World seems to count as a reputable source, despite having been shut down 11 years ago.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Trouble is, the people didn't want this ability. We voted to remove that option. Gotta accept democracy.

over a year ago

How?

Cheapest form of transport available - P&O ferry. "

It is illegal, try again

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

You won't get a forum ban. The forum rules explicitly state "You can link to: Any well recognised news site (bbc, times, telegraph, sun, notw, cnn and all the rest)". So you're able to post any news story from a major news site. Even the News of the World seems to count as a reputable source, despite having been shut down 11 years ago."

Happens though, try being critical of the government, and see how you get hounded.

Anyway, if someone believes the world of flat, no amount of links is going to change that.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

How?

It is illegal, try again "

That is an illegal full house

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

Britain is looking to get out of the ECHR anyway. And about time!

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

There is only so much the treasury can spend. Mostly agree. (They have a tax and debt lever).

Imo the spend on refugees is a distraction from looking at other areas. Spending money on people who need real help feels an okay spend, even if they don't have a UK passport. Yes, there will be limits. But I'd bet there are better ways of saving 2bn if we really needed to.

If we do want to reduce spend on refugees, I'm not convinced Rwanda is the answer. Irrc the benefit case is "if people know they will end up in Rwanda that will put them off from coming". Rather than we can reduce the costs per refugee.

My quick solution (as others have also suggested) is to work with other countries to manage closer to asylum hot spots. And find ways of better encouraging ppl to use these sites.

Unfortunately I feel we are burning collaboration bridges quickly. Ironically that may be a reason why we are seeing more boat crossings. There is no Dublin accord to fall back on. "

The French happily send all of them to the UK.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Britain is looking to get out of the ECHR anyway. And about time! "
whys this a good thing ?

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

How?

It is illegal, try again

That is an illegal full house "

As much as I love France and the French we know they won’t put up a fight.

Anyway, a cunning plan - offload them at lunchtime.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Lol

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

How?

It is illegal, try again

That is an illegal full house

As much as I love France and the French we know they won’t put up a fight.

Anyway, a cunning plan - offload them at lunchtime. "

That made me laugh more than it should

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

You won't get a forum ban. The forum rules explicitly state "You can link to: Any well recognised news site (bbc, times, telegraph, sun, notw, cnn and all the rest)". So you're able to post any news story from a major news site. Even the News of the World seems to count as a reputable source, despite having been shut down 11 years ago."

He knows that he has made a statement that is pure fiction and so will go round and round until its dropped.

I personally have not seen anything in the media blaming immigrants for the current crisis and just want to know the source of this information nothing more.

over a year ago

PMSL, you really haven’t got a clue

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Unfortunately I feel we are burning collaboration bridges quickly. Ironically that may be a reason why we are seeing more boat crossings. There is no Dublin accord to fall back on.

The French happily send all of them to the UK. "

they don't send them to, do they? They may not do as much as you like to stop them... But is it Frances job to deny someone their right to claim asylum in the UK?

(My way would actually renive the while France problem)

A year or so ago, we were able to send a fair number back to France. Apparently that wasn't a good arrangement to be in, or at least was worth sacrificing for the greater good. Not the choice I would have made. But there you go. Democracy.

over a year ago

The French happily send all of them to the UK. they don't send them to, do they? They may not do as much as you like to stop them... But is it Frances job to deny someone their right to claim asylum in the UK?

(My way would actually renive the while France problem)

A year or so ago, we were able to send a fair number back to France. Apparently that wasn't a good arrangement to be in, or at least was worth sacrificing for the greater good. Not the choice I would have made. But there you go. Democracy. "

Will of the people

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

"Britain is looking to get out of the ECHR anyway. And about time!

PMSL, you really haven’t got a clue "

Actually,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/15/boris-johnson-news-rwanda-ni-protocol-brexit-starmer-pmqs-live/

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Not true..

A few rabid types in the cabinet are excitedly wanting to but thankfully there's still some decent back benchers in the Tory party who won't allow it..

It was Churchills idea and respect deserved, we wrote most of what it is and were one of the main drivers of it..

Ripping up something that important because off an Ill thought through ridiculous idea which was rightly stopped is nonsense..

over a year ago

Actually,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/15/boris-johnson-news-rwanda-ni-protocol-brexit-starmer-pmqs-live/"

Like I said, you really haven’t got a clue,

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Actually,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/15/boris-johnson-news-rwanda-ni-protocol-brexit-starmer-pmqs-live/

Like I said, you really haven’t got a clue, "

It's all a bit trumpian and the Mexicans will pay for the wall..

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

Actually,

Like I said, you really haven’t got a clue, "

We do. We aren’t all socialist workers here….

over a year ago

Actually,

We do. We aren’t all socialist workers here…."

PMSL, imagine thinking we are going to leave the ECHR, deluded and confused

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Actually,

We do. We aren’t all socialist workers here…."

Why do you think anyone who doesn't want to scrap human rights, is a "socialist worker"?

Bizarre.

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Surely the easiest way is to ask them to president their passports so the uk can see how they are and so can then match them with the family they have here so they can go stay wit them.

In the meantime they can then be processed

Oh wait they have all destroyed their passports

The ones who do not have families should be sent to processing Centres I’m sure we have all of airports with barracks they can be accommodated.

Oh wait they burnt one of those down last time didn’t they ?

Maybe because they deemed it as not luxurious enough ?

They could always open some more accommodation blocks in Manchester they have plenty of people who will more then welcome them

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

PMSL, you really haven’t got a clue "

How long did it take us to get rid of the hook because of them? about 8 years if i remember.

over a year ago

PMSL, you really haven’t got a clue How long did it take us to get rid of the hook because of them? about 8 years if i remember. "

PMSL, you haven’t got a clue either

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Actually,

We do. We aren’t all socialist workers here….

PMSL, imagine thinking we are going to leave the ECHR, deluded and confused "

But, but..

40 new hospitals..

Leveling up..

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

PMSL, you really haven’t got a clue How long did it take us to get rid of the hook because of them? about 8 years if i remember.

PMSL, you haven’t got a clue either "

smart answer i see you are on form today.

over a year ago

PMSL, you really haven’t got a clue How long did it take us to get rid of the hook because of them? about 8 years if i remember.

PMSL, you haven’t got a clue either smart answer i see you are on form today. "

Haha, so, are you with Mitzi? We should leave the ECHR?

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Clearly there are opposing views here, but be nice everyone please.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

PMSL, you haven’t got a clue either smart answer i see you are on form today.

Haha, so, are you with Mitzi? We should leave the ECHR? "

I personally think like everything rules and regulations should be updated to reflect modern day situations what applied over 70 years ago may not reflect the current day.

You wouldn't for example expect the same driving standards to have not been updated for 70 years would you?

Before you start banging on about me thinking driving and human right are the same as i know you will it was an example.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

PMSL, you really haven’t got a clue How long did it take us to get rid of the hook because of them? about 8 years if i remember. "

looks closer to 5. But I suspect that Wong cahnge yet view.

Are you supportive of extraditing ppl to countries they may face torture or the death penalty. (as a point of principle, not thinking about a specific case)

over a year ago

Haha, so, are you with Mitzi? We should leave the ECHR? I personally think like everything rules and regulations should be updated to reflect modern day situations what applied over 70 years ago may not reflect the current day.

You wouldn't for example expect the same driving standards to have not been updated for 70 years would you?

Before you start banging on about me thinking driving and human right are the same as i know you will it was an example. "

Are you stating that they haven’t been updated?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

PMSL, you really haven’t got a clue How long did it take us to get rid of the hook because of them? about 8 years if i remember. looks closer to 5. But I suspect that Wong cahnge yet view.

Are you supportive of extraditing ppl to countries they may face torture or the death penalty. (as a point of principle, not thinking about a specific case)"

NO because it was 8 years.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/abu-hamza-deported-from-uk-after-1363430

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Haha, so, are you with Mitzi? We should leave the ECHR? I personally think like everything rules and regulations should be updated to reflect modern day situations what applied over 70 years ago may not reflect the current day.

Before you start banging on about me thinking driving and human right are the same as i know you will it was an example. "

70mph on motorways were set in the 60s. Depsite cars changing weve stuck by it !

Are you against the institution, or some specific human rights that no longer make sense in 2022?

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

PMSL, you really haven’t got a clue How long did it take us to get rid of the hook because of them? about 8 years if i remember. looks closer to 5. But I suspect that Wong cahnge yet view.

Are you supportive of extraditing ppl to countries they may face torture or the death penalty. (as a point of principle, not thinking about a specific case)NO because it was 8 years.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/abu-hamza-deported-from-uk-after-1363430"

I was using the date he appealed to ECHR. The years then were UK due process.

But I accept the principal of your point. I just can't type!

Happy with extradition with risk of death penalty ?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Before you start banging on about me thinking driving and human right are the same as i know you will it was an example. 70mph on motorways were set in the 60s. Depsite cars changing weve stuck by it !

Are you against the institution, or some specific human rights that no longer make sense in 2022?"

yep but seat belts, drink driving, drug driving, driving tests,cyclists etc etc etc are all rules that have evolved since.Cherry picking again i think.

over a year ago

Before you start banging on about me thinking driving and human right are the same as i know you will it was an example. 70mph on motorways were set in the 60s. Depsite cars changing weve stuck by it !

Are you against the institution, or some specific human rights that no longer make sense in 2022?yep but seat belts, drink driving, drug driving, driving tests,cyclists etc etc etc are all rules that have evolved since.Cherry picking again i think."

I agree that any laws should be continuously updated and there will always be cases where any law has been ‘abused’.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Are you supportive of extraditing ppl to countries they may face torture or the death penalty. (as a point of principle, not thinking about a specific case)NO because it was 8 years.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/abu-hamza-deported-from-uk-after-1363430I was using the date he appealed to ECHR. The years then were UK due process.

Happy with extradition with risk of death penalty ?"

If thats the countries rules and the person gets a fair trial personally yes.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Are you against the institution, or some specific human rights that no longer make sense in 2022?yep but seat belts, drink driving, drug driving, driving tests,cyclists etc etc etc are all rules that have evolved since.Cherry picking again i think."

Cars and driving has changed to so rules need to be changed.

Has something changed that means humans no longer require human rights?

over a year ago

Are you against the institution, or some specific human rights that no longer make sense in 2022?yep but seat belts, drink driving, drug driving, driving tests,cyclists etc etc etc are all rules that have evolved since.Cherry picking again i think.

Has something changed that means humans no longer require human rights?"

Yes, the British government can not forcibly send refugees to Rwanda

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Are you against the institution, or some specific human rights that no longer make sense in 2022?yep but seat belts, drink driving, drug driving, driving tests,cyclists etc etc etc are all rules that have evolved since.Cherry picking again i think.

Has something changed that means humans no longer require human rights?"

yes they are always changing if not why not go back to the original one the magna carta?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Yes, the British government can not forcibly send refugees to Rwanda "

Fair point.

It does appear that people who vote Tory support anything they say.

Human rights - don't need 'em

Rivers - pump human shit into them.

PPE contracts - fast track Tory party donors

Bullshitting the queen - crack on.

Etc etc.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/abu-hamza-deported-from-uk-after-1363430I was using the date he appealed to ECHR. The years then were UK due process.

Happy with extradition with risk of death penalty ?If thats the countries rules and the person gets a fair trial personally yes."

what if you can't guarantee a fair trial.... Eg risk of torture ?

I'm not saying ECHR is perfect. Maybe we want to create our own version (depsite being part of ECHR). I guess I'm challenging whether the above case would have been quicker in a universe where we had just the Uk verison of human rights. (I don't know if we'd have that as being part of the supreme court or a separate body)

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Has something changed that means humans no longer require human rights?yes they are always changing if not why not go back to the original one the magna carta? "

If you think that's better, crack on.

In the meantime, scrapping human rights might suit the agenda to treat some people as sub-human. Which is anyone's free opinion to support of course. But it seems like a large step backwards.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Happy with extradition with risk of death penalty ?If thats the countries rules and the person gets a fair trial personally yes.what if you can't guarantee a fair trial.... Eg risk of torture ?

I'm not saying ECHR is perfect. Maybe we want to create our own version (depsite being part of ECHR). I guess I'm challenging whether the above case would have been quicker in a universe where we had just the Uk verison of human rights. (I don't know if we'd have that as being part of the supreme court or a separate body)

"

Would you trust the government to make a new charter for human rights?

Would it be better, or worse for humans?

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Fair point.

Etc etc."

You have a very low regard of people that vote Conservative.

over a year ago

Fair point.

Etc etc.

You have a very low regard of people that vote Conservative. "

THE PM and his government have a very low regard for the people who vote Conservative

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I agree that any laws should be continuously updated and there will always be cases where any law has been ‘abused’. "

I agree. I also don't know what part of the current version has become outdated. And why there is a view it hasn't changed in 60 years.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Fair point.

Etc etc.

You have a very low regard of people that vote Conservative. "

What makes you say that? I'm just commenting on what they vote for.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Fair point.

Etc etc.

You have a very low regard of people that vote Conservative.

THE PM and his government have a very low regard for the people who vote Conservative "

I can’t disagree with that.

over a year ago

I agree that any laws should be continuously updated and there will always be cases where any law has been ‘abused’. I agree. I also don't know what part of the current version has become outdated. And why there is a view it hasn't changed in 60 years. "

Because some Tories don’t agree with it because it prevented them forcibly sending refugees to Rwanda

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Happy with extradition with risk of death penalty ?If thats the countries rules and the person gets a fair trial personally yes.what if you can't guarantee a fair trial.... Eg risk of torture ?

"

As you pointed out it took 5 years after the uk decision and so yes i think it would have been quicker and cheaper.

Cant you see that its cases like this and the interference of these judges that fuel the haters and give them ammunition to spread it.

I dont think im alone in thinking i elect a government to govern the country and make rules for the benefit of the country and people and if i dont like what they have done i will vote for someone different next time.

This has been the cause of wars from the year dot countries trying to impose their version of civilization and religion on others.Let the people make up their own mind how they want to live.

over a year ago

As you pointed out it took 5 years after the uk decision and so yes i think it would have been quicker and cheaper.

Cant you see that its cases like this and the interference of these judges that fuel the haters and give them ammunition to spread it.

I dont think im alone in thinking i elect a government to govern the country and make rules for the benefit of the country and people and if i dont like what they have done i will vote for someone different next time.

This has been the cause of wars from the year dot countries trying to impose their version of civilization and religion on others.Let the people make up their own mind how they want to live."

The ECHR has caused wars??

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

This has been the cause of wars from the year dot countries trying to impose their version of civilization and religion on others.Let the people make up their own mind how they want to live.

The ECHR has caused wars??"

Totally missing the point as usual as i ssaid before you are on fire today.

over a year ago

The ECHR has caused wars??Totally missing the point as usual as i ssaid before you are on fire today. "

The post was about the ECHR, so you can agree that their laws never have it never will cause a war?

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

UK citizens already have the bill of rights and the great charter, there is no need for anything else.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

The ECHR has caused wars??Totally missing the point as usual as i ssaid before you are on fire today.

The post was about the ECHR, so you can agree that their laws never have it never will cause a war? "

I never said it has or would do try and read what is written.

over a year ago

"UK citizens already have the bill of rights and the great charter, there is no need for anything else."

So you know more than Churchill ?

over a year ago

The ECHR has caused wars??Totally missing the point as usual as i ssaid before you are on fire today.

The post was about the ECHR, so you can agree that their laws never have it never will cause a war? I never said it has or would do try and read what is written. "

Thanks for the clarification,

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

This has been the cause of wars from the year dot countries trying to impose their version of civilization and religion on others.Let the people make up their own mind how they want to live."

who are the haters in this situation?

I accept that for every rule, there will be an adverse consequence. And that people will want to throw the baby out with the bath water because of it.

And I also accept that we may have different views on whether we should send someone to another country to be tried under that countries rulea if their is a belief that country's laws have been broken, regardless of our own views on the fairness of the regime.

Personally, for such big changes, a government should stand on that ticket. We can vote out the Tories next time... But almost irreversible changes shouldn't be made on a whim. That's dangerous governing imo.

I mean, they've not really established the value of Rwanda to the country yet. Or been held to account by the electorate for it.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

This has been the cause of wars from the year dot countries trying to impose their version of civilization and religion on others.Let the people make up their own mind how they want to live.who are the haters in this situation?

I accept that for every rule, there will be an adverse consequence. And that people will want to throw the baby out with the bath water because of it.

And I also accept that we may have different views on whether we should send someone to another country to be tried under that countries rulea if their is a belief that country's laws have been broken, regardless of our own views on the fairness of the regime.

Personally, for such big changes, a government should stand on that ticket. We can vote out the Tories next time... But almost irreversible changes shouldn't be made on a whim. That's dangerous governing imo.

I mean, they've not really established the value of Rwanda to the country yet. Or been held to account by the electorate for it. "

They will be in the next election and labour can always stand on a ticket to reverse it thats the way it works.

Anyway nice chatting got to get rail tickets to Twickenham tomorrow that is if the rail union haven't interfered with my human right to get a train to the match.

over a year ago

This has been the cause of wars from the year dot countries trying to impose their version of civilization and religion on others.Let the people make up their own mind how they want to live.who are the haters in this situation?

I mean, they've not really established the value of Rwanda to the country yet. Or been held to account by the electorate for it. They will be in the next election and labour can always stand on a ticket to reverse it thats the way it works.

Anyway nice chatting got to get rail tickets to Twickenham tomorrow that is if the rail union haven't interfered with my human right to get a train to the match. "

Don’t worry, the human rights of the strikers have been protected

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I mean, they've not really established the value of Rwanda to the country yet. Or been held to account by the electorate for it. They will be in the next election and labour can always stand on a ticket to reverse it thats the way it works.

Anyway nice chatting got to get rail tickets to Twickenham tomorrow that is if the rail union haven't interfered with my human right to get a train to the match. "

it's easier to leave than get back in.

Good advice for the game too.... Don't leave the stadium unless it's a definite decision to stay out!

By *lex D.Man
over a year ago

London

I'd be prepared to bet you hadn't heard of the ECHR before this Rwanda debacle.

UK is signatory and if it pulls away it breaks international law as it's embedded in the Good Friday Agreement. Now, I can guarentee you didn't know that.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

UK is signatory and if it pulls away it breaks international law as it's embedded in the Good Friday Agreement. Now, I can guarentee you didn't know that. "

I think they really came to the fore when they tried to impose prisoners rights to vote the uk threatened to pull out over that.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Why’s that then? BTW...

ECHR is NOT an EU institution.

Founded in 1953 and Originally proposed by Winston Churchill and drafted mainly by British lawyers, the Convention was based on the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It was signed in Rome in 1950 and came into force in 1953.

Interestingly Boris Johnson is the grandson of Sir James Fawcett, a member of the European Commission for Human Rights for 20 years and its president for half that time.

The ECHR is not “some foreign court” as some are trying to to declare. It is an international body to which the UK is a founding member and signatory.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

UK is signatory and if it pulls away it breaks international law as it's embedded in the Good Friday Agreement. Now, I can guarentee you didn't know that. I think they really came to the fore when they tried to impose prisoners rights to vote the uk threatened to pull out over that."

That's a bit of a poor summary Costa, it's a bit like saying Beckham missed that sitter against so and so whilst playing for England and his time should be judged on that alone..

I think you yourself know we won't leave it, and yes it's fair to say any organisation gets some things wrong (in someone's opinion) but on the whole it's a good thing..

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Just send them back to France."

"How?"

Given that the Navy is now responsible for border control, I'm genuinely surprised that no one has proposed the idea of putting a landing craft in the middle of the channel, gathering up all the small boat travellers into it, then just motoring up to a beach in France and dropping them all off.

I'm sure that plan would go down a storm with many people, happy that we can stop the immigrants reaching our shores, and stick two fingers up to the French at the same time.

I wonder why no one has proposed it yet.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

I would bet that all these, IMHO, odd people who are seemingly in favour of leaving the European Convention on HUMAN RIGHTS would be the first to shout when their own rights were harmed or removed.

It’s always ok when it seemingly only impacts on other people!

I find it especially confusing when a Jewish person is so in favour of leaving the Convention. After all...

“In the aftermath of the Second World War, the convention, drawing on the inspiration of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, can be seen as part of a wider response from the Allied powers in delivering a human rights agenda to prevent the most serious human rights violations which had occurred during the Second World War from happening again.”

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

How?

Given that the Navy is now responsible for border control, I'm genuinely surprised that no one has proposed the idea of putting a landing craft in the middle of the channel, gathering up all the small boat travellers into it, then just motoring up to a beach in France and dropping them all off.

I'm sure that plan would go down a storm with many people, happy that we can stop the immigrants reaching our shores, and stick two fingers up to the French at the same time.

I wonder why no one has proposed it yet."

I'm sure they have. Is it legal ?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Given that the Navy is now responsible for border control, I'm genuinely surprised that no one has proposed the idea of putting a landing craft in the middle of the channel, gathering up all the small boat travellers into it, then just motoring up to a beach in France and dropping them all off.

"I'm sure they have. Is it legal ?"

If they claimed that they were just rescuing people in difficulty and returning them safely to their country of origin, then I can't see any law that it would break. I suspect that there would be legal challenges though, in both the British and French courts.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Given that the Navy is now responsible for border control, I'm genuinely surprised that no one has proposed the idea of putting a landing craft in the middle of the channel, gathering up all the small boat travellers into it, then just motoring up to a beach in France and dropping them all off.

I'm sure they have. Is it legal ?

If they claimed that they were just rescuing people in difficulty and returning them safely to their country of origin, then I can't see any law that it would break. I suspect that there would be legal challenges though, in both the British and French courts."

hard to prove country of origin mid-trip....

No sir, we were just on a boating trio from Folkestone and we lost our bearings. No we aren't french ...

Also, once they have left french waters ... Wouldn't taking them back mean we are helping them enter France illegally ... Isn't that .... Bad ?

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

No faith in a ECHR that has Russia as a member

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

Anyone who still isn't sure what the ECHR does for us should watch this video:

http://youtu.be/ptfmAY6M6aA

(4 minutes, contains humour, strong language)

over a year ago

How?

Why don't the French ship them to NI where they can then legally claim asylum?

Sorted and saves any hassle!

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"hard to prove country of origin mid-trip...."

That shouldn't be a problem. We already track all vessels crossing the channel, so we'd be able to prove where the boat came from. The Royal Navy are quite good at that sort of thing.

"Also, once they have left french waters ... Wouldn't taking them back mean we are helping them enter France illegally ... Isn't that .... Bad ?"

I can't see how it would mean entering illegally. If we can prove that the boat set off from France, then we are just returning them to a country which they have already entered.

I'm not good on French law, but I expect they wouldn't be happy. However, I don't see that the UK government would mind breaking a law, especially if it was a French one.

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

"I would bet that all these, IMHO, odd people who are seemingly in favour of leaving the European Convention on HUMAN RIGHTS would be the first to shout when their own rights were harmed or removed.

I find it especially confusing when a Jewish person is so in favour of leaving the Convention. After all...

“In the aftermath of the Second World War, the convention, drawing on the inspiration of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, can be seen as part of a wider response from the Allied powers in delivering a human rights agenda to prevent the most serious human rights violations which had occurred during the Second World War from happening again.”"

Human flesh and blood rights are undeniable, unless you agree to have your ""rights given and taken from a big book.

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

"I would bet that all these, IMHO, odd people who are seemingly in favour of leaving the European Convention on HUMAN RIGHTS would be the first to shout when their own rights were harmed or removed.

“In the aftermath of the Second World War, the convention, drawing on the inspiration of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, can be seen as part of a wider response from the Allied powers in delivering a human rights agenda to prevent the most serious human rights violations which had occurred during the Second World War from happening again.”

Human flesh and blood rights are undeniable, unless you agree to have your ""rights given and taken from a big book."

And if you do agree with the script of the book, the book says you have no right to sunlight.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

How?

Sorted and saves any hassle!"

What would the residents and taxpayers in NI make of that I wonder?

over a year ago

How?

What would the residents and taxpayers in NI make of that I wonder? "

They would be on British soil and the responsibility of the British Goverment.

I was just pointing out that this would save the UK taxpayer all the hassle of having to use the Royal Navy to patrol the channel or having to take prospective migrants to France. It offers a safe route so also saves lives and, as far as I can see is perfectly legal as they can travel within the EU to Ireland and walk across into NI.

Surely that is a saving for everyone?

It also meets the goverment mantra where they continually say that migrants can enter via safe routes.

All solved!

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

How?

I was just pointing out that this would save the UK taxpayer all the hassle of having to use the Royal Navy to patrol the channel or having to take prospective migrants to France. It offers a safe route so also saves lives and, as far as I can see is perfectly legal as they can travel within the EU to Ireland and walk across into NI.

It also meets the goverment mantra where they continually say that migrants can enter via safe routes.

All solved!"

But what would the residents and taxpayers of NI think of it?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

How?

All solved!

But what would the residents and taxpayers of NI think of it? "

Some are probably nice people. And others not.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

How?

All solved!

But what would the residents and taxpayers of NI think of it?

Some are probably nice people. And others not. "

What does that mean?

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"hard to prove country of origin mid-trip....

That shouldn't be a problem. We already track all vessels crossing the channel, so we'd be able to prove where the boat came from. The Royal Navy are quite good at that sort of thing.

Also, once they have left french waters ... Wouldn't taking them back mean we are helping them enter France illegally ... Isn't that .... Bad ?

I can't see how it would mean entering illegally. If we can prove that the boat set off from France, then we are just returning them to a country which they have already entered.

I'm not good on French law, but I expect they wouldn't be happy. However, I don't see that the UK government would mind breaking a law, especially if it was a French one."

I thought there was a fear some boats slipped through the net.

Even then, I'm not sure you can force someone back just because you've shown they've been there.

Once upon a time we had a legal recourse to send them back... We decided we didn't want that. Seems odd then to resort to dodgy methods ....

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"hard to prove country of origin mid-trip....

I'm not good on French law, but I expect they wouldn't be happy. However, I don't see that the UK government would mind breaking a law, especially if it was a French one."

untill the French start a tit for tat trade war and blockade eurotunnel and Calais.

over a year ago

It won't be tit for tat - it will be full implementation of any rules which the UK leaves in place!

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"It won't be tit for tat - it will be full implementation of any rules which the UK leaves in place!"

over a year ago

"No faith in a ECHR that has Russia as a member "

We have a Russian in the House of Lords

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"No faith in a ECHR that has Russia as a member

We have a Russian in the House of Lords "

yeah get rid of all those hangers on too.

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

... .. ... ... ... .... ... .. Churchill wont b happy

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"I'm not good on French law, but I expect they wouldn't be happy. However, I don't see that the UK government would mind breaking a law, especially if it was a French one."

"untill the French start a tit for tat trade war and blockade eurotunnel and Calais. "

I don't know what the French opinion is on immigrants crossing the channel. Do they even know that the UK is trying to solve this issue?

But you're right, even if they have no idea, they'll be told that the UK is doing something wrong, and they'll immediately start blockading ports. It's the French way.

Post new Message to Thread