Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Westminster

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Watching "Politics Live" at the moment.

For those who many be unfamiliar with this - it is a televised window into what happens in Parliament with a focus on Prime Minister Questions (on a Wednesday).

It also demonstrates quite succinctly how pathetically childish these representatives of our great nation are.

They lie, twist the truth, deflect questions, stage questions to deflect focus - it is like going back 100 years. No wonder we are considering imperial measures.

These people are paid handsome salaries with benifits to effectively 'take the piss'.

To see the smirking, shouting, laughter and catch phrases which obviously have been painstakingly worked on by junior ministers to win the argument is pathetic.

Why do we continue to allow such a useless and ineffective parade of incompetence to continue.

The goverment is elected to run the country based on their manifesto (bearing in mind that things do come along which deflect their course of action).

Better that they simply do this. If votes and debates are required then have them but in a fashion where people answer questions with facts.

Politics needs to be shaken up and this old Etonian debating society scrapped.

It serves no purpose apart from inflating their own egos.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Starmer got spanked again at pm,s questions and came across as a total dick with star wars and love island quips.

He cant see it though and has ordered his front bench to stop briefing the press on how boring he is. Seems this was backed up when one of them repeatedly refused to answer the question just now.

over a year ago

Watching "Politics Live" at the moment.

For those who many be unfamiliar with this - it is a televised window into what happens in Parliament with a focus on Prime Minister Questions (on a Wednesday).

It also demonstrates quite succinctly how pathetically childish these representatives of our great nation are.

They lie, twist the truth, deflect questions, stage questions to deflect focus - it is like going back 100 years.

No wonder we are considering imperial measures.

These people are paid handsome salaries with benifits to effectively 'take the piss'.

To see the smirking, shouting, laughter and catch phrases which obviously have been painstakingly worked on by junior ministers to win the argument is pathetic.

Why do we continue to allow such a useless and ineffective parade of incompetence to continue.

The goverment is elected to run the country based on their manifesto (bearing in mind that things do come along which deflect their course of action).

Better that they simply do this. If votes and debates are required then have them but in a fashion where people answer questions with facts.

It serves no purpose apart from inflating their own egos.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Boris never answers a question . And what’s his go to line - we delivered Brexit .

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Watching "Politics Live" at the moment.

They lie, twist the truth, deflect questions, stage questions to deflect focus - it is like going back 100 years. No wonder we are considering imperial measures.

It serves no purpose apart from inflating their own egos."

And the rightous religiously vote for it.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Why they cannot actually debate and talk is beyond us.

Seriously, would it be so politically damaging to say something like "oh that's actually not a bad idea, how would you cope with such and such".

You know, actually talk and try to resolve problems instead of constantly trying to score petty political points.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Why they cannot actually debate and talk is beyond us.

Seriously, would it be so politically damaging to say something like "oh that's actually not a bad idea, how would you cope with such and such".

You know, actually talk and try to resolve problems instead of constantly trying to score petty political points."

Because its theatre that has been going on from year dot.I suggest you watch some of the debates and inquiries on bbc parliament most of the time its very civil and polite,they are not at each others throats.

PM,s questions is not the way parliament works its just a weekly charade and one up man ship they even know the questions before they enter the chamber. Not a good look i agree but i guess Britain prides itself on pomp and ceremony and traditions.

over a year ago

You know, actually talk and try to resolve problems instead of constantly trying to score petty political points.Because its theatre that has been going on from year dot.I suggest you watch some of the debates and inquiries on bbc parliament most of the time its very civil and polite,they are not at each others throats.

PM,s questions is not the way parliament works its just a weekly charade and one up man ship they even know the questions before they enter the chamber. Not a good look i agree but i guess Britain prides itself on pomp and ceremony and traditions. "

Surely, in this day and age, it is about time that we dumped all this pomp and ceremony, the traditions and the pretence?

We need a functioning parliament that does not waste their time and our money playing to the audience.

We need a process that can be held accountability and is respected - not something from 100 odd years ago.

Where is Guy Fawkes when you need him?

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

It's a constant irritation when MP's from all sides don't answer a simple question with a straight answer. This morning on breakfast news an MP was asked about the Rwanda saga and what he would do instead. He constantly just repeated the problems of the existing policy but bluntly refused to give his own ideas.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"It's a constant irritation when MP's from all sides don't answer a simple question with a straight answer. This morning on breakfast news an MP was asked about the Rwanda saga and what he would do instead. He constantly just repeated the problems of the existing policy but bluntly refused to give his own ideas. "

Because the second you nail your colours to the mast and make a suggestion or voice an opinion, it will come back to haunt you. You will be held to it forevermore, and it will become ammunition by the opposition to crucify you with over and over again.

Plus, no MP or other human for that matter has a "crystal ball" and can see in to the future. What seemed like a jolly good idea one moment, may be absolutely pilloried the next.

Plus Career Damage. If "Bob" says definitively that he believes in XYZ and the government should have a policy to address that. What do you think when Bob's PM changes, and a new PM comes on board and want's to shuffle his top Cabinet ? And said new PM strongly disagrees with what Bob said x months/years ago. Can you see Bob being picked for a top job ? I cannot.

It's called politics, and it plays out in Parliament, in Boardrooms and even in bedrooms across the world. It's human nature. And it's fascinating and can be very addictive and educational / entertaining.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

[Removed by poster at 15/06/22 23:42:38]

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

"It's a constant irritation when MP's from all sides don't answer a simple question with a straight answer. This morning on breakfast news an MP was asked about the Rwanda saga and what he would do instead. He constantly just repeated the problems of the existing policy but bluntly refused to give his own ideas. "

Try asking an MP if women have penises and watch them squirm.

By *lixerMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Westminster and the unwritten constitution have to go. The system doesn't work for any of the four nations. It only protects those with power.

Either Ireland or Scotland will break the Union at some point in the future, hopefully the near future.

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

You know, actually talk and try to resolve problems instead of constantly trying to score petty political points.Because its theatre that has been going on from year dot.I suggest you watch some of the debates and inquiries on bbc parliament most of the time its very civil and polite,they are not at each others throats.

PM,s questions is not the way parliament works its just a weekly charade and one up man ship they even know the questions before they enter the chamber. Not a good look i agree but i guess Britain prides itself on pomp and ceremony and traditions.

Surely, in this day and age, it is about time that we dumped all this pomp and ceremony, the traditions and the pretence?

We need a functioning parliament that does not waste their time and our money playing to the audience.

We need a process that can be held accountability and is respected - not something from 100 odd years ago.

Where is Guy Fawkes when you need him?"

We don't need an attempted murderer, we need a change to the electoral system.

If the UK, as a whole, was an actual democracy - as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are - we wouldn't have half the problems we do now.

The FPTP voting system is the problem. It allows the Tories (and, occasionally Labour) to govern with a majority for which they have no mandate, based on the votes cast for them.

The current government - and the PM in particular - are unfit to govern. They lack the integrity, credibility and intelligence to do so.

Their reluctance to ditch the sort of "traditional conservative values" - which cannot cope with the major crises they've faced and continue to - is evidence of their incompetence.

But if the UK Parliament were elected by PR, they would either be a minority government, or in opposition.

Unfortunately, when given the chance to change that, under the Coalition, the UK electorate chose not to.

Presumably because - quite reasonably - they could never have imagined being governed as ineptly, by people so openly proud of their "fuck you, little people" attitude.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"It's a constant irritation when MP's from all sides don't answer a simple question with a straight answer. This morning on breakfast news an MP was asked about the Rwanda saga and what he would do instead. He constantly just repeated the problems of the existing policy but bluntly refused to give his own ideas.

Because the second you nail your colours to the mast and make a suggestion or voice an opinion, it will come back to haunt you. You will be held to it forevermore, and it will become ammunition by the opposition to crucify you with over and over again.

Plus, no MP or other human for that matter has a "crystal ball" and can see in to the future. What seemed like a jolly good idea one moment, may be absolutely pilloried the next.

Plus Career Damage. If "Bob" says definitively that he believes in XYZ and the government should have a policy to address that. What do you think when Bob's PM changes, and a new PM comes on board and want's to shuffle his top Cabinet ? And said new PM strongly disagrees with what Bob said x months/years ago. Can you see Bob being picked for a top job ? I cannot.

It's called politics, and it plays out in Parliament, in Boardrooms and even in bedrooms across the world. It's human nature. And it's fascinating and can be very addictive and educational / entertaining.

"

For someone like me who has decided I will not even consider to vote Tory while boris is in charge, it would help to know alternatives. If an opposition person only criticises policy without giving an alternative or even to say they will reverse certain changes, then it does not win my vote. It looks increasingly likely I will see if any independents run at the next GE in my area

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"It's a constant irritation when MP's from all sides don't answer a simple question with a straight answer. This morning on breakfast news an MP was asked about the Rwanda saga and what he would do instead. He constantly just repeated the problems of the existing policy but bluntly refused to give his own ideas.

For someone like me who has decided I will not even consider to vote Tory while boris is in charge, it would help to know alternatives. If an opposition person only criticises policy without giving an alternative or even to say they will reverse certain changes, then it does not win my vote. It looks increasingly likely I will see if any independents run at the next GE in my area"

there is little incentive for the opposition to offer alternatives until closer to the election. Their role is to scrutinize HMG polcies. Sometimes they may offer an idea on more simple matters (cough windfall) but what value is there in setting out a five year on immigration when it can't be seen thru...

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

For someone like me who has decided I will not even consider to vote Tory while boris is in charge, it would help to know alternatives. If an opposition person only criticises policy without giving an alternative or even to say they will reverse certain changes, then it does not win my vote. It looks increasingly likely I will see if any independents run at the next GE in my areathere is little incentive for the opposition to offer alternatives until closer to the election. Their role is to scrutinize HMG polcies. Sometimes they may offer an idea on more simple matters (cough windfall) but what value is there in setting out a five year on immigration when it can't be seen thru..."

I would have thought the incentive would be to win voters and show they are ready for government. Looks like my search for a non Boris led party will be long

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

PM,s questions is not the way parliament works its just a weekly charade and one up man ship they even know the questions before they enter the chamber. Not a good look i agree but i guess Britain prides itself on pomp and ceremony and traditions. "

I agree with you the work is mostly done in committees but do you think the chamber charade needs to be brought up to date with less show boating and more serious behaviour.

Maybe even some serious questions followed by serious answers to the actual questions?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

I agree with you the work is mostly done in committees but do you think the chamber charade needs to be brought up to date with less show boating and more serious behaviour.

Maybe even some serious questions followed by serious answers to the actual questions? "

well of course those of us who bother to watch the charade every week would love it but as i said its just a bit of theatre which has been going on since year dot and only last 1/2 hour or so a week.I think it was Blair who reduced it because he couldn't handle it.Im pretty sure it was twice a week before.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Maybe even some serious questions followed by serious answers to the actual questions? well of course those of us who bother to watch the charade every week would love it but as i said its just a bit of theatre which has been going on since year dot and only last 1/2 hour or so a week.I think it was Blair who reduced it because he couldn't handle it.Im pretty sure it was twice a week before."

It’s just the best club in the world. Very little real work for most. Far too many of them and far too detached from real life.

Over thirty subsidised bars while industry bans drink and drugs. Second homes when they could have state accommodation in London. Family employed when there should be a local MPs office manned by civil servants and who ever wins get it but no nepotism and no extra funding from anyone. Global jolly’s - just no, you can’t fucking go to Dubai again and you can’t take your wife or be paid for by a business or foreign state. Then the school boy behaviour in the chamber .

It’s corrupt and not fit or quick enough for todays very fast world.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Maybe even some serious questions followed by serious answers to the actual questions? well of course those of us who bother to watch the charade every week would love it but as i said its just a bit of theatre which has been going on since year dot and only last 1/2 hour or so a week.I think it was Blair who reduced it because he couldn't handle it.Im pretty sure it was twice a week before.

It’s just the best club in the world. Very little real work for most. Far too many of them and far too detached from real life.

Over thirty subsidised bars while industry bans drink and drugs. Second homes when they could have state accommodation in London. Family employed when there should be a local MPs office manned by civil servants and who ever wins get it but no nepotism and no extra funding from anyone. Global jolly’s - just no, you can’t fucking go to Dubai again and you can’t take your wife or be paid for by a business or foreign state. Then the school boy behaviour in the chamber .

It’s corrupt and not fit or quick enough for todays very fast world. "

True but i doubt its any different in most other countries as the old saying goes power corrupts.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Maybe even some serious questions followed by serious answers to the actual questions? well of course those of us who bother to watch the charade every week would love it but as i said its just a bit of theatre which has been going on since year dot and only last 1/2 hour or so a week.I think it was Blair who reduced it because he couldn't handle it.Im pretty sure it was twice a week before.

It’s corrupt and not fit or quick enough for todays very fast world. True but i doubt its any different in most other countries as the old saying goes power corrupts."

True but I don’t think they are quite the circus we have . Also the US and India have less MPs and a fraction of the numbers in the second house so there’s a good place to start. Get the numbers down.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

It’s corrupt and not fit or quick enough for todays very fast world. True but i doubt its any different in most other countries as the old saying goes power corrupts.

True but I don’t think they are quite the circus we have . Also the US and India have less MPs and a fraction of the numbers in the second house so there’s a good place to start. Get the numbers down. "

Have to agree there especially in the house of lords.

Post new Message to Thread