Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Work and alcohol

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So, inspired by partygate, I have laid awake all night wondering about the protocols of drinking and working.

I'm wondering in which occupations is drinking acceptable and when is it acceptable?

For example, Ambulance drivers. Is it acceptable or not to drink whilst on lunch break, in the pub after shift, only when off duty for at least a day.

Does wearing work clothes or uniform alter this?

Similarly, politicians, bus drivers, supermarket workers, doctors, project managers, etc.

Also I wonder which occupations have any mention of alcohol in their contracts of employment?

Finally, I'm wondering how much alcohol is it acceptable to consume and then drive afterwards? How long afterwards?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"So, inspired by partygate, I have laid awake all night wondering about the protocols of drinking and working.

I'm wondering in which occupations is drinking acceptable and when is it acceptable?

For example, Ambulance drivers. Is it acceptable or not to drink whilst on lunch break, in the pub after shift, only when off duty for at least a day.

Does wearing work clothes or uniform alter this?

Similarly, politicians, bus drivers, supermarket workers, doctors, project managers, etc.

Also I wonder which occupations have any mention of alcohol in their contracts of employment?

Finally, I'm wondering how much alcohol is it acceptable to consume and then drive afterwards? How long afterwards?

"

In my former and wholly hedonistic younger life I was paid to drink and get people d*unk and party.

I recall thinking in the summer of 1985 whilst partaking in the three-legged vicars and tarts themed pub crawl that I had organised earlier, it was a pretty great way to earn a living.

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

The company I worked for before retirement. Had a very strict policy on drink , d**gs. You could be called in at start of shift to do test. For drink it was half England legal limit . If test positive . Then sent home for advanced test. If over limit then dismissed . Same as d**g test. If fail sent home , wait for further result. Then if positive. Dismissed.

By *9alMan
over a year ago

Bridgend

I think in recent years its become less acceptable to drink at work, some professions, such as journalism & hospitality have had a more relaxed attitude to drinking at work, perhaps some of Boris Johnsons problems are because of his background in Journalism.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

I used to work in a company where all the conference rooms had fridges in them, full of beer. Any meetings that were to discuss successes, or just meetings that went on too long, had a break where everyone had a drink.

But then the company was tech-oriented, the staff were all responsible people, and we all chose to not have more than 2 beers in any one day.

If you have the right people, drinking at work really isn't a problem.

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

Firm im at we sometimes have a drink on a friday afternoon if theres nothing to do and the sun is shinning, office staff warehouse staff and even the management pop up the off licence grab some drink and relax, dont do it every week and wen we do its only in the summer months

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

In my last job I had to sign for my beer ration. Early in that job I had to sign for fag stamps.

How did I manage a days graft.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Zero tolerance should be the normal. Accidents still happen even though under legal driving limit and completely irresponsible to drive or operate any machinery with ANY alcohol in the blood.

Driving in 2022, should also be Zero Alcohol as there is increased risk. If driving, I drink Coke and no hard ship in doing so for a clear conscience.

Boring, I know.. but..

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I don’t drink at all if driving, or driving the next morning. Tbh I barely touch a drop these days.

But back in the day we used to go down the pub for a pint at lunch and on a Friday it could have been 2 or 3.

I used to get the train to work so no problems with driving, but CHRIST we didn’t get much done. And any coding would need to get redone on the Monday opening

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

Beer taster, I guess it is part of the job

Post new Message to Thread