Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

The Boris Johnson ship is sinking!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

With more MP’s calling for the slob to resign, and guarantees that Foreign Policy in Ukraine is going to be the same. It looks like the Conservatives are going to lance the boil and let the rancid pus ooze finally!

It looks like desperation has set in, with the Pro Slob faction utilising the the daily fail to stop MP’s from sending more letters to the 1922 committee.

Looks like this is the Beginning of the End for the slob and his cronies, or is it going to be left to the people of the UK to inflict the decisive blow?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ak777Man
over a year ago

shaw

hope so

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's been sinking for ages. But, for some mad reason, he's still there at the mo

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

"It's been sinking for ages. But, for some mad reason, he's still there at the mo"

Because the right wing media are busy bailing out the boat and the Daily Heil readers are plugging the gaps with the rolled up paper (plus sticking some in their ears and over their eyes).

over a year ago

"It's been sinking for ages. But, for some mad reason, he's still there at the mo

Because the right wing media are busy bailing out the boat and the Daily Heil readers are plugging the gaps with the rolled up paper (plus sticking some in their ears and over their eyes)."

I think he's mainly still there simply because they haven't decided who's gonna replace him yet.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Well judging by the telegraph and Bloomberg today the state of our economy is starting to cause serious concerns in the market.

One of the comments was the government is completely failing to address the problems inflicted on the economy by Brexit. Their refusal to even acknowledge the problems is in their words pushing the former stable sterling into erratic emerging market territory.

The traders are moving more and more towards backing the Euro Zone against the UK.

Where has the common sense of adaptable government gone?

If the rumours around Land Rover turn out to be true then that may be a catalyst for many others exiting and none of us want that.

Boris has to go.

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

rats jump ship just before it goes down, not enough rattus are squeaking to convince the captain the ship is sinking.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"With more MP’s calling for the slob to resign, and guarantees that Foreign Policy in Ukraine is going to be the same. It looks like the Conservatives are going to lance the boil and let the rancid pus ooze finally!

It looks like desperation has set in, with the Pro Slob faction utilising the the daily fail to stop MP’s from sending more letters to the 1922 committee.

Looks like this is the Beginning of the End for the slob and his cronies, or is it going to be left to the people of the UK to inflict the decisive blow?"

Why don't you say what you really feel rather than holding back

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"With more MP’s calling for the slob to resign, and guarantees that Foreign Policy in Ukraine is going to be the same. It looks like the Conservatives are going to lance the boil and let the rancid pus ooze finally!

Looks like this is the Beginning of the End for the slob and his cronies, or is it going to be left to the people of the UK to inflict the decisive blow?"

I think it's probably the Tories best hope for the next GE. Even with a new leader the chances are slim but I guess that's better than no chance

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

What government has ever been ahead in the polls mid term ?

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

How do you think Boris being ousted will help normal people?

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"What government has ever been ahead in the polls mid term ?"

Mrs Thatcher managed I’m sure at least once if not twice .

By *xhib12Man
over a year ago

Blyth

"Well judging by the telegraph and Bloomberg today the state of our economy is starting to cause serious concerns in the market.

One of the comments was the government is completely failing to address the problems inflicted on the economy by Brexit. Their refusal to even acknowledge the problems is in their words pushing the former stable sterling into erratic emerging market territory.

The traders are moving more and more towards backing the Euro Zone against the UK.

If the rumours around Land Rover turn out to be true then that may be a catalyst for many others exiting and none of us want that.

Boris has to go.

"

GBP is currently rising against both the USD and the Euro. Bit strange if Sterling and the markets are struggling don't you think?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"What government has ever been ahead in the polls mid term ?

Mrs Thatcher managed I’m sure at least once if not twice . "

She did but i think you will find she was behind mid term it was only the falklands that saved her.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Former Attorney General Jeremy Wright is the ninth Conservative MP to publicly call for Johnson’s resignation since the release of the Sue Gray report, bringing the total to 25.

They best be careful or Haymaker will be along soon to call them all “Boris Haters”

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Mrs Thatcher managed I’m sure at least once if not twice . She did but i think you will find she was behind mid term it was only the falklands that saved her."

Why do you think Johnson is trying to be all Rambo with Ukraine War! If Russia didn’t have Nukes be would have committed troops, who could have died to save the slobs hide!

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"Well judging by the telegraph and Bloomberg today the state of our economy is starting to cause serious concerns in the market.

Boris has to go.

GBP is currently rising against both the USD and the Euro. Bit strange if Sterling and the markets are struggling don't you think?"

lol it is currently 1.27 to the USD, up .05 since the 15th May when it hit rock bottom and 1.22 and then there was an interest rate rise… phew…

By *lixerMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Smash the system.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Boris has to go.

GBP is currently rising against both the USD and the Euro. Bit strange if Sterling and the markets are struggling don't you think?"

Think you will find the pound has consistently weakening against the dollar. It reached a two year low against the dollar on the 12th of this month. The Rishi £15 baleout fund raised it 4 cents against he dollar but it’s trajectory is still down. Feel free to check the years performance on a market report. It’s like Boris saying we had the gayest growing economy recently. He failed to say it’s because we’re trading out of Covid whereas others weren’t up and running. Looking at the euro it’s been pretty balanced but the warnings are this won’t last. .

So you’re saying the markets must be wrong in their assessments of our future then . But then they did predict the losses in GDP from Brexit.

The markets reports are forecasting so if you read again what I, put they are concerned about the state of our economy and the BOE disconnect from the true issues.

I also said if with Land Rover . So no mention of today but I’m sure the traders know nothing.

Funny how they make so much money being wrong all the time.

Paywall to this report today but if you can’t read it the headline gives you the gist.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-30/sterling-risks-existential-crisis-with-em-parallels-bofa-says

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Yes of course that will help

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Typo should read “fastest” growing economy

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Mrs Thatcher managed I’m sure at least once if not twice . She did but i think you will find she was behind mid term it was only the falklands that saved her.

Why do you think Johnson is trying to be all Rambo with Ukraine War! If Russia didn’t have Nukes be would have committed troops, who could have died to save the slobs hide!"

I still stand by my statement most past governments have been behind in the polls mid term.

over a year ago

Feels like a vote of no cofidence is on its way. Entirely possible Johnson would still win that vote, though, as crazy as that is.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Feels like a vote of no cofidence is on its way. Entirely possible Johnson would still win that vote, though, as crazy as that is."

I tend to agree he won’t lose as the red wall MPs and others are vacant of ideas without their slogan pronouncer in chief. They know Boris doesn’t have any useful ideas either but he’s a master at those slogans.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Feels like a vote of no cofidence is on its way. Entirely possible Johnson would still win that vote, though, as crazy as that is."
Thats the last thing labour would want its clear there is no appetite to replace him and if they did scrap enough people for a vote of no confidence its pretty clear boris would survive.This would mean due to the rules he would have at least another year as PM which then gets near the GE.The tories are not that stupid to replace him just before a GE which means he would lead the next one the last thing labour want.

By *ayturners turn hayMan
over a year ago

Wellingborugh

. I cannot see anyone being too worried about Boris having a few enemies - everyone has them .

Deep down most party members know that they have backed an all time great - one of lifes winners and a true success story . The Boris bashers must live in a world of false reality - he still has a majority of circa 77 . I bet Kier Starmer or Ed Davey wished they were hated as much as Boris . They cannot even get off the starting line , yet alone come even close to his majority .

Just as well most people keep their feet firmly on the ground and do not fall for the thoughts of the Boris bashers

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Boris has to go.

GBP is currently rising against both the USD and the Euro. Bit strange if Sterling and the markets are struggling don't you think?

Think you will find the pound has consistently weakening against the dollar. It reached a two year low against the dollar on the 12th of this month. The Rishi £15 baleout fund raised it 4 cents against he dollar but it’s trajectory is still down. Feel free to check the years performance on a market report. It’s like Boris saying we had the gayest growing economy recently. He failed to say it’s because we’re trading out of Covid whereas others weren’t up and running. Looking at the euro it’s been pretty balanced but the warnings are this won’t last. .

So you’re saying the markets must be wrong in their assessments of our future then . But then they did predict the losses in GDP from Brexit.

The markets reports are forecasting so if you read again what I, put they are concerned about the state of our economy and the BOE disconnect from the true issues.

I also said if with Land Rover . So no mention of today but I’m sure the traders know nothing.

Funny how they make so much money being wrong all the time.

Paywall to this report today but if you can’t read it the headline gives you the gist.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-30/sterling-risks-existential-crisis-with-em-parallels-bofa-says"

Definitely falling against and concerning. Order I placed for £75,000 in March is now £84,000 for same this week.

That's £9k off the bottom line before shipment even arrives, do I raise pricing?

By *ayturners turn hayMan
over a year ago

Wellingborugh

Boris has to go.

"

. Maybe we can just ignore the traders and concentrate on long term investments . The FTSE is up today and is probably recovering . I do not see many companies issuing profit warnings and quite a few have increased dividends . The performance of a company such as Slough Estates is hardly indicative of a country facing long term problems . Profits are at an all time high and dividend payments increased by 10 % Wincanton logistics turned in good results and Clipper logistics have performed so well that they are now the subject of a take over .

Unemployment is at an all time low . It is difficult to see why it would be necessary to for the government to take any action as a result of Brexit as there is little evidence of any damage to the economy ( based on actual results as opposed to estimates which some people love to quote . ) . I have yet to see any Uk company state that Brexit has any material impact on their profits or future plans . Dividend payments are actually increasing .

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Mine for one, now hit with shit loads of paperwork into and out of the EU.

Everybody I know with business that deals with the EU is subject to long Customs checks, additional costs, additional 'processing fees', additional wasted time so don't know how you've not seen or heard it.

Duty 5% to 10%

Bank Tranfers £55 instead of SWIFT £15

Time processing documents

Couriers charging processing fees

For starters..

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

BoJo will not go.

He has surrounded himself with incompetent people and politically assassinated Sunak by going after his wife who might have been half credible.

Downing Street is now throwing out every policy soundbite possible to the backbench. Imperial measures (which we have), grammar schools, immigrant deportations, fossil fuels not so bad...

No replacement for him. He may well take the Conservative party down with him at the election and do the thing that Brexit was actually trying to avoid.

It will be an achievement of sorts.

Led by Donkeys provides you with the timeline of the Downing Street parties:

https://youtu.be/y9g_DiHL1cM

Yet, apparently, he's done great things as we head into cost of living and economic crisis whilst threatening a trade war with the EU.

Go figure.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Boris has to go.

. Maybe we can just ignore the traders and concentrate on long term investments . The FTSE is up today and is probably recovering . I do not see many companies issuing profit warnings and quite a few have increased dividends . The performance of a company such as Slough Estates is hardly indicative of a country facing long term problems . Profits are at an all time high and dividend payments increased by 10 % Wincanton logistics turned in good results and Clipper logistics have performed so well that they are now the subject of a take over .

Unemployment is at an all time low . It is difficult to see why it would be necessary to for the government to take any action as a result of Brexit as there is little evidence of any damage to the economy ( based on actual results as opposed to estimates which some people love to quote . ) . I have yet to see any Uk company state that Brexit has any material impact on their profits or future plans . Dividend payments are actually increasing . "

How can you see the world so determinedly from only one side?

Do you really see nothing negative happening in the UK today?

Do you really believe that a Prime Minister who lies to the population and to Parliament is a good thing for the country? Do you think that our Prime Minister does not lie?

over a year ago

Well he's thrown out the seven Nolan principles of public life – integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest from the ministerial code. He's certainly pulling all the stops to survive.

over a year ago

Who knows? They might actually jettison Johnson after all if the Partygate stories keep coming + they keep getting caught lying. That drip drip drip is poison for the Tories + they know it. Fresh info recently came out about the party in Johnson's flat.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

"Who knows? They might actually jettison Johnson after all if the Partygate stories keep coming + they keep getting caught lying. That drip drip drip is poison for the Tories + they know it. Fresh info recently came out about the party in Johnson's flat. "

Who replaces him?

There seem to be a few backbenchers with some integrity WRT to party gate, but we know precious little else about them Nd they supported him before now over a number of things...

over a year ago

"Who knows? They might actually jettison Johnson after all if the Partygate stories keep coming + they keep getting caught lying. That drip drip drip is poison for the Tories + they know it. Fresh info recently came out about the party in Johnson's flat.

Who replaces him?

There seem to be a few backbenchers with some integrity WRT to party gate, but we know precious little else about them Nd they supported him before now over a number of things..."

That seems to be what has kept Johnson in place so far. no clear frontrunner as replacement. Sunak was popular for a bit. Then he got torpedoed by his tax arrangements. Convenient for Johnson, that...

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Time for an early GE in my opinion.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"BoJo will not go.

He has surrounded himself with incompetent people and politically assassinated Sunak by going after his wife who might have been half credible.

Downing Street is now throwing out every policy soundbite possible to the backbench. Imperial measures (which we have), grammar schools, immigrant deportations, fossil fuels not so bad...

No replacement for him. He may well take the Conservative party down with him at the election and do the thing that Brexit was actually trying to avoid.

Yet, apparently, he's done great things as we head into cost of living and economic crisis whilst threatening a trade war with the EU.

Go figure."

Do you really believe the UK is the only country to have an economic and cost of living crisis? its world wide mate get out and travel a bit you will find virtually every country in the world is going through the same shit at the moment.

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

Boris has to go.

Unemployment is at an all time low . It is difficult to see why it would be necessary to for the government to take any action as a result of Brexit as there is little evidence of any damage to the economy ( based on actual results as opposed to estimates which some people love to quote . ) . I have yet to see any Uk company state that Brexit has any material impact on their profits or future plans . Dividend payments are actually increasing . "

Just loving this parallel universe you live in!

Now, as you are the No.1 Boris fan on here, can you tell me whether sterling has been devalued against other major currencies since Boris got Brexit Done and by how much? I would love to have just a straight factual answer from you quoting a reliable source such as Bloomberg or Reuters and without the usual flim-flammery or genuflection. Do you think that’s possible?

By *xhib12Man
over a year ago

Blyth

"BoJo will not go.

Go figure.Do you really believe the UK is the only country to have an economic and cost of living crisis? its world wide mate get out and travel a bit you will find virtually every country in the world is going through the same shit at the moment. "

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"BoJo will not go.

Go figure.Do you really believe the UK is the only country to have an economic and cost of living crisis? its world wide mate get out and travel a bit you will find virtually every country in the world is going through the same shit at the moment. "

Ours is just extra special shit with a Brexit cherry on top!!

Boris clearly and unambiguously states the checks needed to ship to NI are hurting business through added costs and delays, causing a reduction in trade with businesses in NI. . Those are the same checks used, costs added and delays caused for exports from the U.K. to the rest of the EU. What’s the difference other than the DUP getting what they deserve?

By *amantMan
over a year ago

Alnmouth

"Time for an early GE in my opinion."

This isn't as half-baked as some might say. The tories know that a recession is coming and that things are very likely going to turn even worse. It would arguably be even more foolish to wait until 2024 for an election when things are worse. And I think Johnson's track record in elections (much worse on closer inspection) could sway some Tories into thinking he could reverse the polls.

Personally, I can't see it. It's all fine and good defeating Ken Livingstone and Jeremy Corbyn but going into the next election, he won't go into it with a clean slate and most people do not think he should be PM. That would be okay, if the alternative was as bad as it was seen to be in 2019. But it isn't. The alternative to Johnson will be someone who is, at worst, bland and boring. After the last few years, I think that could be a strength and not a weakness. It's not a certainty Labour wins the next election, now or in 2024, but if Johnson is at the helm, it'll be the most interesting since 2017. For me, it's all in Labour's manifesto and messaging.

If it reverts to the messaging of 2019, the manifesto won't matter. 1 month before the general election, Labour promised free fibre optic broadband for all, 'broadband communism'. The policy was sound but the messaging was befitting a party of perpetual opposition. Rather than being a centrepiece of Labour's manifesto, it was an afterthought. The manifesto promised too much too soon and the messaging around it managed to be worse.

The manifesto of '17 appeared to be Labour's sweet spot, a lot of people voted for Starmer as they felt he represented that manifesto with a more electable face. I hope and believe we'll get a better manifesto but if the messaging is rubbish, it won't matter.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"... but I’m sure the traders know nothing. Funny how they make so much money being wrong all the time."

Only some of them make money. Trading is a zero-sum game, so if one of them makes money, that means that another one has lost it. It's only after the event that you can be sure whether you were listening to the right trader.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Typo should read “fastest” growing economy "

Shame. I quite liked being in the country with the "gayest growing economy".

over a year ago

There was a study that said the economic damage of Brexit was gonna be twice that of Covid. Twice. So yes Johnson has done huge damage to this country, no matter how much he tries to hide it all under the veil of global events...

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Imperial measures (which we have)"

No we don't. We're allowed to mark things with imperial units, but we can't use imperial measures.

over a year ago

"Imperial measures (which we have)

No we don't. We're allowed to mark things with imperial units, but we can't use imperial measures."

Really? My local pub has breaking the law left right an centre with all their pints then...

over a year ago

Leadsom just came out against Johnson. That feels like a tipping point. In the past she supported Johnson + Brexit.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"... but I’m sure the traders know nothing. Funny how they make so much money being wrong all the time.

Only some of them make money. Trading is a zero-sum game, so if one of them makes money, that means that another one has lost it. It's only after the event that you can be sure whether you were listening to the right trader."

Just buying a spread of the footsie and you make money over the years and if that fails you churn your clients investments making a little with every churn. If you lose you are a very poor trader or take too many risks .

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Typo should read “fastest” growing economy

Shame. I quite liked being in the country with the "gayest growing economy". "

Freudian for this site

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Well he's thrown out the seven Nolan principles of public life – integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest from the ministerial code."

No he hasn't.

Those principles still appear in the code. The only place those words were removed was in the foreword, which has been entirely re-written, just like every other PM has done every time the code has been updated.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Well he's thrown out the seven Nolan principles of public life – integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest from the ministerial code.

No he hasn't.

Those principles still appear in the code. The only place those words were removed was in the foreword, which has been entirely re-written, just like every other PM has done every time the code has been updated."

Was every other PM accused of all of those during their tenure?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Imperial measures (which we have)"

"No we don't. We're allowed to mark things with imperial units, but we can't use imperial measures."

"Really? My local pub has breaking the law left right an centre with all their pints then..."

True we do have a derogation which allows the use of pint measures for draught beer or cider, and milk in returnable containers. We're also allowed to measure precious metals in Troy ounces, but that's it. All the rest of the Imperial system is banned for measurement.

over a year ago

No we don't. We're allowed to mark things with imperial units, but we can't use imperial measures.

Really? My local pub has breaking the law left right an centre with all their pints then...

True we do have a derogation which allows the use of pint measures for draught beer or cider, and milk in returnable containers. We're also allowed to measure precious metals in Troy ounces, but that's it. All the rest of the Imperial system is banned for measurement."

What was that? I just got in from a drive. A car zoomed past me. Must have been going 100 miles an hour...

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

True we do have a derogation which allows the use of pint measures for draught beer or cider, and milk in returnable containers. We're also allowed to measure precious metals in Troy ounces, but that's it. All the rest of the Imperial system is banned for measurement."

isn't it just banned from being more prominent than the metric?

https://www.gov.uk/weights-measures-and-packaging-the-law

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

Boris has to go.

Unemployment is at an all time low . It is difficult to see why it would be necessary to for the government to take any action as a result of Brexit as there is little evidence of any damage to the economy ( based on actual results as opposed to estimates which some people love to quote . ) . I have yet to see any Uk company state that Brexit has any material impact on their profits or future plans . Dividend payments are actually increasing .

Do you really believe that a Prime Minister who lies to the population and to Parliament is a good thing for the country? Do you think that our Prime Minister does not lie?"

Tony Blair LIED about the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq… yet he’s going to become a Lord.

over a year ago

Boris has to go.

Do you really believe that a Prime Minister who lies to the population and to Parliament is a good thing for the country? Do you think that our Prime Minister does not lie?

Tony Blair LIED about the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq… yet he’s going to become a Lord. "

Fuck Blair for lying + for Iraq.

But also fuck Johnson for his mountain of lies + Brexit + his corruption + Partygate etc...

They can both be condemned you know. It's not about picking a side.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"isn't it just banned from being more prominent than the metric?

"

The very first words on the page that you linked to are "You must use metric measurements".

That document isn't a legal text, so it's been a bit inconsistent with it's language. Where it says "You can display an imperial measurement ...", it really means "You can display an imperial marking".

You can mark in imperial if you want, but you must measure in metric, and display a metric marking.

over a year ago

The very first words on the page that you linked to are "You must use metric measurements".

That document isn't a legal text, so it's been a bit inconsistent with it's language. Where it says "You can display an imperial measurement ...", it really means "You can display an imperial marking".

You can mark in imperial if you want, but you must measure in metric, and display a metric marking."

And that's basically the key. We already can + do use imperial markings prominently on eg milk/booze. It's no big deal.

Johnson just threw out this dead cat non-story to try and make a section of Brexiters froth at the mouth at the thought of the EU stealing their precious imperial measurements. + to distract from the ever-growing shit mountain that is Partygate.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

You can mark in imperial if you want, but you must measure in metric, and display a metric marking."

I'm not sure how you are defining marking and measurement differently.

I suspect you mean companies choose a nice round metric number to package food in. And then may say what that is in ounces. Rather than sell a quart of butter.

But nothing is stopping anyone from selling a quart of butter. (is that imperial, no idea).

Can you clarify?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

You can mark in imperial if you want, but you must measure in metric, and display a metric marking.I'm not sure how you are defining marking and measurement differently.

I suspect you mean companies choose a nice round metric number to package food in. And then may say what that is in ounces. Rather than sell a quart of butter.

But nothing is stopping anyone from selling a quart of butter. (is that imperial, no idea).

Can you clarify?"

Yes there is its the eu rule that was carried over with brexit along with all the others.Apart from milk,beer and precious metals the metric system has to take preference on all other goods getting rid of this rule will give a choice.You cannot label a quart of butter as the rules stand it has to be in metric 1st.

over a year ago

You can mark in imperial if you want, but you must measure in metric, and display a metric marking.I'm not sure how you are defining marking and measurement differently.

Can you clarify?Yes there is its the eu rule that was carried over with brexit along with all the others.Apart from milk,beer and precious metals the metric system has to take preference on all other goods getting rid of this rule will give a choice.You cannot label a quart of butter as the rules stand it has to be in metric 1st."

Actually, getting rid of the metric rule will likely push up food prices due to the pointless hassle of things like mass relabelling. A really smart move during a cost of living crisis. And all to try and distract from the lies + lawbreaking of our glorious leader.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"I'm not sure how you are defining marking and measurement differently."

In the most literal sense possible.

The device that you use to measure your product must be metric. If you want to sell butter in quarter pound lumps, you must use a metric measuring device to determine that the butter weighs at least 113.398g. You can then mark the packaging with the words "quarter pound", as long as you also put "113g" in a no-less-prominant manner.

If a customer in a butchers asks for a quarter pound of mince, you can give them a quarter pound of mince, but you must weigh out 113g on a metric scale, and you must use that metric scale value to calculate the price.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Will anyones life improve by having imperial as the sole measurement?

If not, then again I claim dead cat all day long.

Imperial like the empire is history so very nostalgic to see and discuss but pretty pointless otherwise.

The world has moved on. We need to join them.

over a year ago

"Will anyones life improve by having imperial as the sole measurement?

If not, then again I claim dead cat all day long.

Imperial like the empire is history so very nostalgic to see and discuss but pretty pointless otherwise.

The world has moved on. We need to join them. "

It'll give a few Brexiter loons multiple orgasms. That's about it, when it comes to benefits. Oh that + helping Johnson dodge Partygate.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"I'm not sure how you are defining marking and measurement differently.

In the most literal sense possible.

The device that you use to measure your product must be metric. If you want to sell butter in quarter pound lumps, you must use a metric measuring device to determine that the butter weighs at least 113.398g. You can then mark the packaging with the words "quarter pound", as long as you also put "113g" in a no-less-prominant manner.

If a customer in a butchers asks for a quarter pound of mince, you can give them a quarter pound of mince, but you must weigh out 113g on a metric scale, and you must use that metric scale value to calculate the price."

thank you. So from a customer pov I can order a quarter piund of mince. And a butcher could price in quarter pounds. But would also need to show the price equally as prominent in kg. And their scales may need to be metric.

If true, as a customer I don't feel that imperial is banned. In your example I can still order in it. It may just be the signs look a little different in the future.

If HMG actually make a change.

Tbh, I don't actually care. Just feels like a lot of effort and PR for not much benefit.

Be more if an interesting debate if we flipped the eu approach. Metric must be no more prominent than imperial ... Would you see that as a positive ?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Will anyones life improve by having imperial as the sole measurement? ... Imperial like the empire is history so very nostalgic to see and discuss but pretty pointless otherwise. The world has moved on. We need to join them. "

I'm surprised that it hasn't been said already in this thread, but ...

There no plans to bring back imperial measurements. The government is just setting up a committee to investigate which bits of law might benefit from a tidying up of metric rules.

over a year ago

"Will anyones life improve by having imperial as the sole measurement? ... Imperial like the empire is history so very nostalgic to see and discuss but pretty pointless otherwise. The world has moved on. We need to join them.

I'm surprised that it hasn't been said already in this thread, but ...

There no plans to bring back imperial measurements. The government is just setting up a committee to investigate which bits of law might benefit from a tidying up of metric rules."

I'll translate that for you. Johnson is just throwing out a pointless + stupid policy that he knows will get stupid headlines + give some Brexiters orgasms. All to distract from his own lies + lawbreaking.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Be more if an interesting debate if we flipped the eu approach. Metric must be no more prominent than imperial ... Would you see that as a positive ? "

No!

Metric is clearly the better system and allowing 2 different measurement systems would be a disaster.

The reason we needed the law is that, back in the 80s the majority of people didn't have an understanding of metric, and didn't see why they should change. In turn, shops didn't want to move over because they were worried about losing their customers. We needed the laws to force people to move forward.

When I say that they didn't have an understanding of metric, I mean that they couldn't relate metric measurements to the real world. I was educated entirely in metric, but I didn't know what a kilo felt like, because I'd never held one. I knew what 2lbs felt like because I regularly handled bags of sugar. If someone had said to me "do you want 200g of ham, or 400g", I would have no idea how much either of those measurements were, but I knew what 6oz or 12oz was.

Today we 'd have exactly the same issue. No retailer would want to change to imperial just to satisfy a few pensioners. They would alienate all of the young and middle aged people.

I'm quite sure that the committee will recommend a few changes to re-instate some traditional obscure measurements, but the majority of it will stay exactly as it is.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Be more if an interesting debate if we flipped the eu approach. Metric must be no more prominent than imperial ... Would you see that as a positive ?

No!

Metric is clearly the better system and allowing 2 different measurement systems would be a disaster.

The reason we needed the law is that, back in the 80s the majority of people didn't have an understanding of metric, and didn't see why they should change. In turn, shops didn't want to move over because they were worried about losing their customers. We needed the laws to force people to move forward.

When I say that they didn't have an understanding of metric, I mean that they couldn't relate metric measurements to the real world. I was educated entirely in metric, but I didn't know what a kilo felt like, because I'd never held one. I knew what 2lbs felt like because I regularly handled bags of sugar. If someone had said to me "do you want 200g of ham, or 400g", I would have no idea how much either of those measurements were, but I knew what 6oz or 12oz was.

Today we 'd have exactly the same issue. No retailer would want to change to imperial just to satisfy a few pensioners. They would alienate all of the young and middle aged people.

I'm quite sure that the committee will recommend a few changes to re-instate some traditional obscure measurements, but the majority of it will stay exactly as it is."

I totally agree. Which is why I see this as a complete waste of time for all involved. Dead cat.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Be more if an interesting debate if we flipped the eu approach. Metric must be no more prominent than imperial ... Would you see that as a positive ?

No!

I'm quite sure that the committee will recommend a few changes to re-instate some traditional obscure measurements, but the majority of it will stay exactly as it is.I totally agree. Which is why I see this as a complete waste of time for all involved. Dead cat. "

exactly what i said in the first place a load of old remoaners getting worked up about nothing as usual nothing will change but if a grocer wants to price up his potatoes in lbs and not kilos he wont be breaking the law.

over a year ago

No!

I'm quite sure that the committee will recommend a few changes to re-instate some traditional obscure measurements, but the majority of it will stay exactly as it is.I totally agree. Which is why I see this as a complete waste of time for all involved. Dead cat. exactly what i said in the first place a load of old remoaners getting worked up about nothing as usual nothing will change but if a grocer wants to price up his potatoes in lbs and not kilos he wont be breaking the law."

Are you truly this credulous? The whole imperial thing is clearly just Johnson's dead cat of the day. And you seem to be falling for it.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

No!

I'm quite sure that the committee will recommend a few changes to re-instate some traditional obscure measurements, but the majority of it will stay exactly as it is.I totally agree. Which is why I see this as a complete waste of time for all involved. Dead cat. exactly what i said in the first place a load of old remoaners getting worked up about nothing as usual nothing will change but if a grocer wants to price up his potatoes in lbs and not kilos he wont be breaking the law.

Are you truly this credulous? The whole imperial thing is clearly just Johnson's dead cat of the day. And you seem to be falling for it."

Im not at all mate i didnt start the thread but im all for getting rid of rules that are pointless to the uk.Its you remainers that have fell for a bad press day and got your knickers in a twist over nothing.

over a year ago

No!

I'm quite sure that the committee will recommend a few changes to re-instate some traditional obscure measurements, but the majority of it will stay exactly as it is.I totally agree. Which is why I see this as a complete waste of time for all involved. Dead cat. exactly what i said in the first place a load of old remoaners getting worked up about nothing as usual nothing will change but if a grocer wants to price up his potatoes in lbs and not kilos he wont be breaking the law.

Are you truly this credulous? The whole imperial thing is clearly just Johnson's dead cat of the day. And you seem to be falling for it.Im not at all mate i didnt start the thread but im all for getting rid of rules that are pointless to the uk.Its you remainers that have fell for a bad press day and got your knickers in a twist over nothing. "

do you think this is a real policy or a dead cat to distract from Johnson's lies + lawbreaking? I'm curious.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Are you truly this credulous? The whole imperial thing is clearly just Johnson's dead cat of the day. And you seem to be falling for it."

As I said in one of my earlier posts in this thread:

"There no plans to bring back imperial measurements. The government is just setting up a committee to investigate which bits of law might benefit from a tidying up of metric rules".

There's nothing to see here.

over a year ago

"Are you truly this credulous? The whole imperial thing is clearly just Johnson's dead cat of the day. And you seem to be falling for it.

"There no plans to bring back imperial measurements. The government is just setting up a committee to investigate which bits of law might benefit from a tidying up of metric rules".

There's nothing to see here."

Again some translation needed. Johnson is throwing out a stupid story that he knows some Brexiters will orgasm over + some papers will print flagwaving headlines about. All to try and keep Johnson's lies + lawbreaking out of the papers.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

No!

Are you truly this credulous? The whole imperial thing is clearly just Johnson's dead cat of the day. And you seem to be falling for it.Im not at all mate i didnt start the thread but im all for getting rid of rules that are pointless to the uk.Its you remainers that have fell for a bad press day and got your knickers in a twist over nothing.

do you think this is a real policy or a dead cat to distract from Johnson's lies + lawbreaking? I'm curious."

I stated in one of my 1st posts on the subject that it was a good headline to sell newspapers on a dead news day and that its not really a story at all, they are systematically going through all the eu rules we carried over and intend to do away with the ones that are not applicable to the uk.Newspaper editors need to sell papers and im sure if a new party had been discovered in number 10 they would have been all over that so no not a distraction a way to generate more income. Remainers have been suckered in by a headline yet again because they are always looking for things to justify themselves and the media know it.

over a year ago

No!

Are you truly this credulous? The whole imperial thing is clearly just Johnson's dead cat of the day. And you seem to be falling for it.Im not at all mate i didnt start the thread but im all for getting rid of rules that are pointless to the uk.Its you remainers that have fell for a bad press day and got your knickers in a twist over nothing.

do you think this is a real policy or a dead cat to distract from Johnson's lies + lawbreaking? I'm curious.I stated in one of my 1st posts on the subject that it was a good headline to sell newspapers on a dead news day and that its not really a story at all, they are systematically going through all the eu rules we carried over and intend to do away with the ones that are not applicable to the uk.Newspaper editors need to sell papers and im sure if a new party had been discovered in number 10 they would have been all over that so no not a distraction a way to generate more income. Remainers have been suckered in by a headline yet again because they are always looking for things to justify themselves and the media know it. "

Um but there is recent new evidence about the party in Johnson's flat. It's as if Johnson wants to distract from that...

over a year ago

Also, it's far from the 1 event. Johnson wants to distract from ALL Partygate stories. That's why the flagwaving imperial stupidity seems like his dead cat of the day.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Again some translation needed. Johnson is throwing out a stupid story that he knows some Brexiters will orgasm over + some papers will print flagwaving headlines about."

I think that part of it was also to get the left wing media up in arms about the disaster that bringing back imperial measurements would be. Again to pull attention from other issues, but also to make them look like they are fussing over nothing.

It'll be interesting to see if it come up in PMQs tomorrow.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Also, it's far from the 1 event. Johnson wants to distract from ALL Partygate stories. That's why the flagwaving imperial stupidity seems like his dead cat of the day."
So you keep saying but i havnt seen much evidence of it,i personally dont buy newspapers but see the headlines when out shopping and the last few months have been party,party,party why wasnt there any distraction then? Its a nice theory if you so against him but thats all it is.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I don't get why this is a remain dead cat. What do remian want us to be distracted from ?

This is going to be a three month review apparently.

If this is just a case of going through old EU laws, then it a) surprises me this is towards the top of the list given noone can really decribe a huge benefit but also b) makes me wonder how many many hours are we going to take to review them all? It's going to be over a year since announcing the idea of the review to finding out it's recommendations... Let alone implementating them. Even the EU could move quicker....

over a year ago

"Also, it's far from the 1 event. Johnson wants to distract from ALL Partygate stories. That's why the flagwaving imperial stupidity seems like his dead cat of the day.So you keep saying but i havnt seen much evidence of it,i personally dont buy newspapers but see the headlines when out shopping and the last few months have been party,party,party why wasnt there any distraction then? Its a nice theory if you so against him but thats all it is."

It's hard to see any evidence when you cover your eyes + ears and sing lalalalala v loudly.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"Are you truly this credulous? The whole imperial thing is clearly just Johnson's dead cat of the day. And you seem to be falling for it.

There's nothing to see here."

This is my understanding too and even if they take up the idea, no one is banning anything, no unnecessary labelling costs to business as they are free to choose and the metric system is not being banned.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Nothing is "banned" from measurement.

You must, simply, use a specific measurement scale for the sale of various goods and services so that there is a single reference.

All Imperial units are referenced relative to SI units. No reference measurements exist for Imperial units.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

It’s a non event and yet Boris felt the need to have a full on announcement and praise it a vital Brexit win.

As we all agree it’s nonsense why the announcement? It’s not even slightly worth the trouble unless you want the blue rinse brigade rallying.

Dead cat all over it.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"It’s a non event and yet Boris felt the need to have a full on announcement and praise it a vital Brexit win."

Did he?

All of the reports I can find say that he was 'expected to announce later today'. Did he actually make any such announcement?

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Love it, seems some people want to bury this thread in trivialities about measurements , because they know what is coming, the Big Slob and his party yacht are sinking even faster now, his supporters are seriously running scared now, I guess they are burning all the paperwork and deleting all the messages as we speak.

Post new Message to Thread