Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

£400 heating Benefit grant

Jump to newest

By *imonfab OP   Man
over a year ago

Southampton

I would like to see a charity start a scheme where those of us that don’t need the government grant can donate it to families in need.

Personally I would like it to go to pensioners who have no way of increasing their earnings to keep up with the cost of living.

Anyone agree?

Have an idea how to start a campaign like this?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Love the sentiment but could individuals not just gift theirs as they like? (DM me for my bank details btw.)

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I'd like to see the government stop with these pointless attempts to distract from their behaviour and try to recoup some votes and start thinking more logically.

They promised in their manifesto to remove VAT on fuel. So do that.

They could cut duty of fuel.

Instead of a windfall tax which will cut company profits a little in the short term, instead just make them reduce the standing charge back to pre-increase levels.

All those actions would mean they wouldn't have to borrow money and would impact budgeting less as increases in prices recently will have already meant higher tax and duty income.

But hey. Sensible policies from this lot is an unrealistic expectation.

I do like your idea OP. But logistically I think it would be difficult to ensure the money reaches those most in need.

A

By *wist my nipplesCouple
over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

"I'd like to see the government stop with these pointless attempts to distract from their behaviour and try to recoup some votes and start thinking more logically.

Instead of a windfall tax which will cut company profits a little in the short term, instead just make them reduce the standing charge back to pre-increase levels.

All those actions would mean they wouldn't have to borrow money and would impact budgeting less as increases in prices recently will have already meant higher tax and duty income.

I do like your idea OP. But logistically I think it would be difficult to ensure the money reaches those most in need.

A"

Where are the clapping hand emojis when you need them?

Mrs TMN x

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Could you donate your £400 to Help the Aged ?

over a year ago

"I'd like to see the government stop with these pointless attempts to distract from their behaviour and try to recoup some votes and start thinking more logically.

A"

Absolutely this! The government are just using deflection and duct tape to hide the cracks...Treat the problem at source and really help people

By *imonfab OP   Man
over a year ago

Southampton

"Could you donate your £400 to Help the Aged ? "

I actually emailed them before posting the idea on here…

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

£400 will only help soften the blow of the £800 increase of the price cap due in October

over a year ago

Its a magician trick is all everytime the people start turning on bojo he flips a u turn just to seem like a hero same happened with rashford and all thru lockdown and the people lap it up £400 isnt worth a cats cock when bills for familys will be 5 to 800 per month come january a real leader would order the cap not to increase again based on the profits these firms just announced but hes really a coward i never got the council tax or energy thing i was promised the first time around i dont expect you to pay up now either its all bullshit if this is democracy you all can keep it

over a year ago

"£400 will only help soften the blow of the £800 increase of the price cap due in October"
dunno wear this 800 figure is coming from its so much more than that in reality

over a year ago

"Could you donate your £400 to Help the Aged ?

I actually emailed them before posting the idea on here… "

If they get back let us know

By *rtic explorerMan
over a year ago

ring road bristol

A"

if only we had done what so many other oil and gas nations did and still do and own part of the companies extracting the hydrocarbons, making profits from no investment. The Norwegian example started at a similar time to our extraction and look how differently its turned out, they have a massive portfolio now generating revenue for the nation and we have a bunch of wealthy shareholders and a load of business that paid no tax for 5 years from the North Sea

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

If they get back let us know "

Anyone can donate £400 to whatever charity they like, right now. No need to wait for answers.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

A charity already exists.

National Energy Action

over a year ago

If they get back let us know

Anyone can donate £400 to whatever charity they like, right now. No need to wait for answers. "

Yes obviously but I would be interested to see if the charity likes the idea, it adds weight and will spread it

By *abarellaWoman
over a year ago

Warminster

Dont give it to a charity! It wont make it to the ones who need it most.

There must be someone local to you who needs it? All you have to do is look.

By *rumpyandsexyCouple
over a year ago

mansfield

Call me selfish but I'm going on holiday for a fortnight in Dec with mine.

Double bonus I won't use any power??

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

Dont give it to a charity! It wont make it to the ones who need it most.

There must be someone local to you who needs it? All you have to do is look. "

Exactly this^^

By *JstarsoloWoman
over a year ago

Wombwell, Barnsley

"A charity already exists.

National Energy Action"

Yes. I was going to say that. It was mentioned by some expert when the £400 was announced. Don't know if you can be specific about to which specific people it goes to though.

By *abarellaWoman
over a year ago

Warminster

"A charity already exists.

National Energy Action

Yes. I was going to say that. It was mentioned by some expert when the £400 was announced. Don't know if you can be specific about to which specific people it goes to though."

It'll go towards advising people how to budget better, what benefits to claim, where the local food banks are, oh not to mention paying some fat cats heating bill for both of their properties!!

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Conservative MP Lee Anderson (who told us we can cook meals for 30p) applied on expenses for heating his stables. The claim was refused

over a year ago

Help the Aged has been proved to be a badly run charity that spends a fortune on salaries and administration - please don’t give them any money.

By *abarellaWoman
over a year ago

Warminster

"Conservative MP Lee Anderson (who told us we can cook meals for 30p) applied on expenses for heating his stables. The claim was refused"

Haha that sounds about right.

1 cold baked been on a crumb of bread?

over a year ago

"Conservative MP Lee Anderson (who told us we can cook meals for 30p) applied on expenses for heating his stables. The claim was refused"

The shame of him, disgusting

By *aui.Man
over a year ago

around here

"Call me selfish but I'm going on holiday for a fortnight in Dec with mine.

Double bonus I won't use any power??"

I like your thinking, I'll do that too

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

It's a laudable idea, but perhaps best to spread across numerous charities. I've got some mixed feelings on charities after seeing the salaries of their executives.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Double bonus I won't use any power??"

Blimey! Where are you going for two weeks for £400?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

you could go to your local food bank and donate it,there are plenty of ways to give money away and plenty who will take it.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

I actually emailed them before posting the idea on here… you could go to your local food bank and donate it,there are plenty of ways to give money away and plenty who will take it."

Alex Bourne. Maybe we could just all get it transferred directly to his account.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

This is how things get taken out of context as usual.

Mr Anderson said people at a food bank in his Nottinghamshire constituency of Ashfield were being shown how they could cook "cheap and nutritious meals" from scratch on a budget of about 30p a day.

That is the food bank saying it.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Conservative MP Lee Anderson (who told us we can cook meals for 30p) applied on expenses for heating his stables. The claim was refusedThis is how things get taken out of context as usual.

Mr Anderson said people at a food bank in his Nottinghamshire constituency of Ashfield were being shown how they could cook "cheap and nutritious meals" from scratch on a budget of about 30p a day.

That is the food bank saying it. "

This is what Lee Anderson said to ITV news

"The last cooking session we did, which we publicised - where we had four MPs here - we made I think 180 meals for fifty quid, which is 30p each.

So there's the real proof, so if people want to come here and have a go and we can teach them then surely they will stand back and say we can cook on a budget and thank you for doing it."I

So not 30p a day and he was claiming its possible if you're cooking for 180 in a professional kitchen after being able to buy in bulk and take advantage of the resultant economies of scale.

By *rumpyandsexyCouple
over a year ago

mansfield

Double bonus I won't use any power??

Blimey! Where are you going for two weeks for £400? "

My apartment

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

"£400 will only help soften the blow of the £800 increase of the price cap due in Octoberdunno wear this 800 figure is coming from its so much more than that in reality "

Absolutely.. OFGEM already stated they calculated an 'average family' undervalued, add working at home, kettle, heating, lighting and electricity it becomes way over.

over a year ago

"£400 will only help soften the blow of the £800 increase of the price cap due in Octoberdunno wear this 800 figure is coming from its so much more than that in reality

Absolutely.. OFGEM already stated they calculated an 'average family' undervalued, add working at home, kettle, heating, lighting and electricity it becomes way over."

So don’ work from home then. I don’t think many companies are making it mandatory.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Good news for Rishi that he gets 3 X £400 as he owns three houses

over a year ago

"Good news for Rishi that he gets 3 X £400 as he owns three houses "

Do we get that per property? Or is it per person?

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"Good news for Rishi that he gets 3 X £400 as he owns three houses

Do we get that per property? Or is it per person? "

Per household

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

Per household "

Per property. If you rent the landlord gets it not you

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"

Per household

Per property. If you rent the landlord gets it not you"

thank god for that then lol

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Do we get that per property? Or is it per person?"

"Per household"

"Per property. If you rent the landlord gets it not you"

It's granted per domestic electricity connection. So if you pay an electricity bill, you get the grant. Landlords will not be able to take it away from tenants.

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

Seems like a bit of an illusion to me.. giving every household £400 is publicity at no / very little cost to the exchequer.

By October, the average energy bill will have increased by almost £1,600, from under £1,300 to £2,800.

25% of that increase is green taxes and VAT...so about £400.

All they're doing is giving you your own money back...and getting praise for it while you'll still be net £100 a month worse off after the payout.

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"Seems like a bit of an illusion to me.. giving every household £400 is publicity at no / very little cost to the exchequer.

By October, the average energy bill will have increased by almost £1,600, from under £1,300 to £2,800.

All they're doing is giving you your own money back...and getting praise for it while you'll still be net £100 a month worse off after the payout."

Any reason why we shouldn't just scrap HS2 and use the £100bn in other areas?

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

"Do we get that per property? Or is it per person?

Per household

Per property. If you rent the landlord gets it not you

It's granted per domestic electricity connection. So if you pay an electricity bill, you get the grant. Landlords will not be able to take it away from tenants."

Unless electricity is included in the rent- suppose that doesn't happen either!

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"So if you pay an electricity bill, you get the grant. Landlords will not be able to take it away from tenants."

"Unless electricity is included in the rent- suppose that doesn't happen either!"

Lots of people pay for electricity as an element of their rent.

However, section 44(4) of the Electricity Act 1989, as amended by the Utilities Act 2000 prevents landlords from charging more for electricity than they pay for it.

Any landlord that can't show that they have passed on the £400 saving to their tenants is liable to end up in court.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Seems like a bit of an illusion to me.. giving every household £400 is publicity at no / very little cost to the exchequer.

All they're doing is giving you your own money back...and getting praise for it while you'll still be net £100 a month worse off after the payout.

Any reason why we shouldn't just scrap HS2 and use the £100bn in other areas?"

That doesn’t work as we need the rail capacity more than ever due to the lack of truck drivers and road capacity .

Decades of under investment resulting in a perfect storm. Smart motorways to save on building new capacity what terrible deadly joke.

A lot of this lies with that moron Prescott . He stopped the investment and others of various parties followed suit.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

I love all this argument over who gets what end of the day the energy companys are getting a £400 per household subsidy from the government we the general public are just the middle man .now could you imagine the outcry from the right wing media had this been enacted by a labour goverment ?

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

"So if you pay an electricity bill, you get the grant. Landlords will not be able to take it away from tenants.

Unless electricity is included in the rent- suppose that doesn't happen either!

Lots of people pay for electricity as an element of their rent.

However, section 44(4) of the Electricity Act 1989, as amended by the Utilities Act 2000 prevents landlords from charging more for electricity than they pay for it.

Any landlord that can't show that they have passed on the £400 saving to their tenants is liable to end up in court."

Then the Section 21 notice arrives for thrratening or taking it to court.

I've used the Utilities Act many times on holiday lettings such as apartments or chalets in Scotland where electricity is being sold at a profit.

Most back down when questioned, once I took to court.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"I've used the Utilities Act many times on holiday lettings such as apartments or chalets in Scotland where electricity is being sold at a profit.

Most back down when questioned, once I took to court."

Section 44 of the Utilities Act 1989 only applies to residential properties. I'm interested to hear how you applied it to a holiday letting, which should be a commercial transaction.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Scottish Law covered it..

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

OFGEM 2005

- 11782-resaleupdateoct05_3-2.pdf

Covers holiday and student rental.

Was charged 35p/kw when import rate was 4.5p/kw at the time (remember those days). They could not prove reasonable 'transmission' costs, backed down and refunded also paying costs.

Was a very expensive Highlands weekend in January where power cost as much as the rent itself considering hot water, space and storage heating was all electric.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"OFGEM 2005

- 11782-resaleupdateoct05_3-2.pdf

Covers holiday and student rental.

Was charged 35p/kw when import rate was 4.5p/kw at the time (remember those days). They could not prove reasonable 'transmission' costs, backed down and refunded also paying costs.

Was a very expensive Highlands weekend in January where power cost as much as the rent itself considering hot water, space and storage heating was all electric.

"

Ah, yes. I always forget that Scottish law is different.

That's a ridiculous mark up. They should be ashamed. Well done you for sorting them out.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

You seem very quick to try and prove me a fool? Twice now.

The OFGEM Document covers the WHOLE of the UK and clearly states holiday let's. I suggest others download and read and reject pricing if deemed excessive.

Since then, anytime I rent somewhere with more than 5% uplift, I ask for a breakdown as to how they get to their figures as 'loading' additional rent into services is offensive and as the place I referred to earlier is a global Hotel chain I won't name. I am not prepared for my bill to cover a share of the whole complex including the restaurants and coffee shops where they also make profit as they tried fobbing me off with.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"You seem very quick to try and prove me a fool? Twice now."

Not at all. When you first posted that you had used the act against holiday let owners, I was intrigued. As I say the Act places this rule under consumer protection measures, so it doesn't apply to businesses. I was unaware that holiday lets come under the consumer protection umbrella.

Then you said "Scottish Law covered it", and I just believed you, without reading the OfGem document.

So I agree with you, you're right to say that it is UK law, and you're right to say that it covers holiday lets.

"Since then, anytime I rent somewhere with more than 5% uplift, I ask for a breakdown as to how they get to their figures ..."

Does this happen a lot? I've not used holiday lets and I was unaware that they made separate charges for electricity. I've definitely never heard of a hotel doing it. I can't even imagine how they could do that.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 03/06/22 00:50:03]

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Yes..

Although not been in the Grampians for around 5 years.

Yes, everytime I'd been, mostly time share swaps with apartments and chalets on a park, usually with Golf Coarse.

I used to cash in the summer share for a winter break. Meant getting a £750/w chalet for equivalent of £140 as by being in the 'pool', you got first refusal on them.

It used to piss me that as it was winter, storage heaters and hot water tanks ate power. Most weeks were £130-£180 electric at checkout.

When it hit £290 at the one I mentioned, I paid in protest and search for advice, which is where the confusion may had come as read many documents and came across the OFGEM nugget.

Having wrote demanding refund of difference to rates they pay, they refuses, sending a bullshit letter that "everyone contributes" to the power of the whole site, ovens in restaurants I'd never set foot in, coffee machines where coffees were very expensive I didn't bother, power for computers etc etc..

I rejected all of them, except contributing to street lighting and started small claims. They backed down and refunded £220..

I should have taken others who had previously done the same at Statute Law is 6 years but never got round to it.

I assume it's the same, but I did write formal complaints to the Scottish Tourist board and Trading Standards.

Anyone else staying atva place you pay per Kwh, check local rates and demand an explanation as to why margin so high and ask fir reduction otherwise you'll take it to court.

It's wrong and just a way of bumping more profit.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I would like to see a charity start a scheme where those of us that don’t need the government grant can donate it to families in need.

Personally I would like it to go to pensioners who have no way of increasing their earnings to keep up with the cost of living.

Anyone agree?

Have an idea how to start a campaign like this?"

Just to let you know that pensioners will get the 400 per household…. Plus an extra 300 … plus the normal winter fuel payment

They aren’t doing too badly under what was announced

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

And not means tested, so many more than the rest of us..

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Loving my two new 2kw patio heaters.

Nights are still cool considering it's summer, these have made a massive difference..

Post new Message to Thread