Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

freeports in Scotland.

Jump to newest

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

so after a year of opposing freeports and rejecting proposals a few months ago at the snp party conference they are now going ahead re branding them green ports do they think that the electorate are that thick they wont notice?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"so after a year of opposing freeports and rejecting proposals a few months ago at the snp party conference they are now going ahead re branding them green ports do they think that the electorate are that thick they wont notice?"

So are you saying that no decision should ever be reconsidered ?

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

"so after a year of opposing freeports and rejecting proposals a few months ago at the snp party conference they are now going ahead re branding them green ports do they think that the electorate are that thick they wont notice?

So are you saying that no decision should ever be reconsidered ?"

Of course not thats why i didnt use the "u turn" phrase that so many people like its the rebranding them as green ports that i find funny as if people are not going to notice they are the same as freeports.

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"so after a year of opposing freeports and rejecting proposals a few months ago at the snp party conference they are now going ahead re branding them green ports do they think that the electorate are that thick they wont notice?

So are you saying that no decision should ever be reconsidered ?Of course not thats why i didnt use the "u turn" phrase that so many people like its the rebranding them as green ports that i find funny as if people are not going to notice they are the same as freeports."

. ,,, ,,, ,,, if you are really looking for a U turn on Freeports ,look no further than the Conservative Party who scrapped Freeports in the UK in 2012

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

"so after a year of opposing freeports and rejecting proposals a few months ago at the snp party conference they are now going ahead re branding them green ports do they think that the electorate are that thick they wont notice?"

Scottish electorate are pretty savvie, look who the electorate in your country voted for PM! Not sure why what the government in a devolved nation does would bother you that much?

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

Scottish electorate are pretty savvie, look who the electorate in your country voted for PM! Not sure why what the government in a devolved nation does would bother you that much? "

It doesn't bother me at all this is a political forum and im sorry i didnt know it was only for English politics.

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

Scottish electorate are pretty savvie, look who the electorate in your country voted for PM! Not sure why what the government in a devolved nation does would bother you that much? It doesn't bother me at all this is a political forum and im sorry i didnt know it was only for English politics. "

It's not just for English politics obviously. But I find it odd that someone based in England would have a pop at the snp government for changing their mind on an issue when you consider A all the good things they do that could be highlighted B the absolute mess of the country that English based parties/ politicians have created by lying/misleading the English electorate to vote for.

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

Scottish electorate are pretty savvie, look who the electorate in your country voted for PM! Not sure why what the government in a devolved nation does would bother you that much? It doesn't bother me at all this is a political forum and im sorry i didnt know it was only for English politics.

It's not just for English politics obviously. But I find it odd that someone based in England would have a pop at the snp government for changing their mind on an issue when you consider A all the good things they do that could be highlighted B the absolute mess of the country that English based parties/ politicians have created by lying/misleading the English electorate to vote for. "

I was just asking the question why she thought changing the name from freeport to green port was necessary, obviously the electorate are not fooled by that so why not just say we have changed our mind the investment in our ports will be a great asset?

Im sorry you are so sensitive about the snp but they are a political party in the uk and worth asking questions about just like any other.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Scottish electorate are pretty savvie, look who the electorate in your country voted for PM! Not sure why what the government in a devolved nation does would bother you that much? It doesn't bother me at all this is a political forum and im sorry i didnt know it was only for English politics.

It's not just for English politics obviously. But I find it odd that someone based in England would have a pop at the snp government for changing their mind on an issue when you consider A all the good things they do that could be highlighted B the absolute mess of the country that English based parties/ politicians have created by lying/misleading the English electorate to vote for. I was just asking the question why she thought changing the name from freeport to green port was necessary, obviously the electorate are not fooled by that so why not just say we have changed our mind the investment in our ports will be a great asset?

Im sorry you are so sensitive about the snp but they are a political party in the uk and worth asking questions about just like any other. "

With respect your original post gives the impression you are poking fun at the Scots,not asking a question.

I'm not saying that was your intentions, but the smiley face implies you thought it was funny when you wrote it

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

It's not just for English politics obviously. But I find it odd that someone based in England would have a pop at the snp government for changing their mind on an issue when you consider A all the good things they do that could be highlighted B the absolute mess of the country that English based parties/ politicians have created by lying/misleading the English electorate to vote for. I was just asking the question why she thought changing the name from freeport to green port was necessary, obviously the electorate are not fooled by that so why not just say we have changed our mind the investment in our ports will be a great asset?

Im sorry you are so sensitive about the snp but they are a political party in the uk and worth asking questions about just like any other.

With respect your original post gives the impression you are poking fun at the Scots,not asking a question.

I'm not saying that was your intentions, but the smiley face implies you thought it was funny when you wrote it "

Exactly my thoughts.

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

I'm not saying that was your intentions, but the smiley face implies you thought it was funny when you wrote it "

yes you are right i did find it funny (funny as strange) but i was still asking the question.

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

Thats besides the point what will it do to the coalition with the greens? it seems they are not happy and some newspapers saying the greens think she has sold out to the tories.it would be nice to hear from a Scottish point of view.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

I'm not saying that was your intentions, but the smiley face implies you thought it was funny when you wrote it yes you are right i did find it funny (funny as strange) but i was still asking the question."

Again no disrespect, but as you are so interested in the subject and have obviously been following the event then perhaps you are best qualified to answer your question. Or have you already ?

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

"Thats besides the point what will it do to the coalition with the greens? it seems they are not happy and some newspapers saying the greens think she has sold out to the tories.it would be nice to hear from a Scottish point of view."

The only question you asked was if the snp thought the electorate were too thick to notice? If you wanted a scottish point of view then you should have asked for one.

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Thats besides the point what will it do to the coalition with the greens? it seems they are not happy and some newspapers saying the greens think she has sold out to the tories.it would be nice to hear from a Scottish point of view.

The only question you asked was if the snp thought the electorate were too thick to notice? If you wanted a scottish point of view then you should have asked for one. "

Well i thought the subject would have generated some debate but it seems i was wrong sorry i didnt ask a specific question you obviously don't follow many posts as if you did you would find neither does anyone else they usually evolve.Its obvious to me debating the snp is definitly a no no.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Freeports or greenports

Doesn't matter which, if you are an MP would you seriously consider Dover when Peel ports have such a monopoly on river crossings across the Mersey?

By *ebbie69Couple
over a year ago

milton keynes

They have been debating this for a few months now. The name for them is to be 'Green Freeports'. Seems it was a compromise between Westminster and Scotland. I think any bidders need to show some sort of green credentials or something along those lines. Looks like their coalition partners (greens) are not so happy though. I think Wales are considering some as well

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

Im sorry you are so sensitive about the snp but they are a political party in the uk and worth asking questions about just like any other. "

. ,,, ,,, ,,, sometimes it is necessary to change the name , , take the minimum wage for example , every Conservative MP voted against the minimum wage , , but they changed its name,now refer to it as the living wage and claim they introduced it ,,,,,,the point that should be repeated time after time is that Freeports are not a benefit of brexit,we had freeports while we were a member of the EU , and currently EU. countries have Freeports , , ,

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

Im sorry you are so sensitive about the snp but they are a political party in the uk and worth asking questions about just like any other. . ,,, ,,, ,,, sometimes it is necessary to change the name , , take the minimum wage for example , every Conservative MP voted against the minimum wage , , but they changed its name,now refer to it as the living wage and claim they introduced it ,,,,,,the point that should be repeated time after time is that Freeports are not a benefit of brexit,we had freeports while we were a member of the EU , and currently EU. countries have Freeports , , , "

Not so the minimum wage is different from the living wage.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"Thats besides the point what will it do to the coalition with the greens? it seems they are not happy and some newspapers saying the greens think she has sold out to the tories.it would be nice to hear from a Scottish point of view.

The only question you asked was if the snp thought the electorate were too thick to notice? If you wanted a scottish point of view then you should have asked for one. Well i thought the subject would have generated some debate but it seems i was wrong sorry i didnt ask a specific question you obviously don't follow many posts as if you did you would find neither does anyone else they usually evolve.Its obvious to me debating the snp is definitly a no no. "

What are the benefits of a free port?

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

"Not so the minimum wage is different from the living wage. "

If you go to the government website and look for NMW you will find that it is actually now called NLW (clever ploy?). Which from April will be £9.50. There is an independently calculated rate called the real living wage which is £9.90 outwith London and £11.05 within London. The government class the rate for someone over 23 as NLW and the rest as NMW.

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Not so the minimum wage is different from the living wage.

If you go to the government website and look for NMW you will find that it is actually now called NLW (clever ploy?). Which from April will be £9.50. There is an independently calculated rate called the real living wage which is £9.90 outwith London and £11.05 within London. The government class the rate for someone over 23 as NLW and the rest as NMW. "

Exactly what i said 2 different things.

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

"Not so the minimum wage is different from the living wage.

If you go to the government website and look for NMW you will find that it is actually now called NLW (clever ploy?). Which from April will be £9.50. There is an independently calculated rate called the real living wage which is £9.90 outwith London and £11.05 within London. The government class the rate for someone over 23 as NLW and the rest as NMW. Exactly what i said 2 different things. "

Ok so what is the government NLW and NMW rates for a 30 year old come April?

By *astlincscoupleCouple
over a year ago

Tinsel Town

So as someone has said above, what will be the benefits of these Greenports?

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

"So as someone has said above, what will be the benefits of these Greenports?"

I imagine they will bring new jobs, businesses and investment to the area where they are situated.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"So as someone has said above, what will be the benefits of these Greenports?

I imagine they will bring new jobs, businesses and investment to the area where they are situated. "

Yes they have tax benefits so companies move to them away from other areas, they have been accused of aiding money laundering. They don’t create an overall increase in wealth for the U.K. they just move it. Good for the areas included but not if your nearby but outside.

It’s a bit like the enterprise zones of the thatcher years. They were stopped as companies used them as a fee lift to profits at other’s areas expense.

The Tory party abandoned free ports as there was no discernible benefit to the U.K. The reduce tax revenue overall. Strange how they are back.

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

well teesside freeport has attracted a multi million pound investment from ge renewables with up to 750 direct jobs and an estimated 1500 in the supply chain whats not to like?

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"well teesside freeport has attracted a multi million pound investment from ge renewables with up to 750 direct jobs and an estimated 1500 in the supply chain whats not to like?"

I agree it’s good for Teesside. Not so good for the other bids from the U.K. though who don’t have the tax status benefit. I don’t think there a call for offshore wind farms manufacture in Hertfordshire or Surrey so it’s not a levelling up thing.

Oh and the offshore wind farm thing is scaling back a bit but likely to be going ahead from what I’ve been told. So some good news there for Teeside too. Job numbers less which is a shame but those jobs are elsewhere in the U.K. so not gone abroad. I made a point of actually asking someone involved in this as Foxy was passionate about it. Fingers crossed but so far so good.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

The only question you asked was if the snp thought the electorate were too thick to notice? If you wanted a scottish point of view then you should have asked for one. Well i thought the subject would have generated some debate but it seems i was wrong sorry i didnt ask a specific question you obviously don't follow many posts as if you did you would find neither does anyone else they usually evolve.Its obvious to me debating the snp is definitly a no no.

What are the benefits of a free port? "

Think it's tax based mainly. To do with import duties and tax on buildings, even NI rates as well possibly. Scotland were against them at first but now decided they want them too. Wales also looking like they may follow suit.

over a year ago

"So as someone has said above, what will be the benefits of these Greenports?"

I have seen Felixstowe, Dover, Holyhead, Bootle, Milford Haven, Aberdeen, Castleford, Manchester Ringway, Rugby, Rosyth, Mostyn and even Wigan Pier.

I have also seen Europort in The Netherlands.

Basically, we can't ever dream to compete with that.

Maybe a greenport is a port where the natural growth of green moss will be encouraged because the offloading cranes will spend so much time doing jack shit?

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

I have seen Felixstowe, Dover, Holyhead, Bootle, Milford Haven, Aberdeen, Castleford, Manchester Ringway, Rugby, Rosyth, Mostyn and even Wigan Pier.

Maybe a greenport is a port where the natural growth of green moss will be encouraged because the offloading cranes will spend so much time doing jack shit?"

The green freeports are a Scotland only thing

By *lixerMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Tory trap. We just want to be a normal nation state and ring our own till. Without Tory rats pissing in our water tank. But this is the game as it stands.

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Tory trap. We just want to be a normal nation state and ring our own till. Without Tory rats pissing in our water tank. But this is the game as it stands. "
I think most of the uk feels the same way i hope you get what you wish for soon.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"Tory trap. We just want to be a normal nation state and ring our own till. Without Tory rats pissing in our water tank. But this is the game as it stands. "

It is the SNP government that has decided that they want to have some of these ports

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 18/02/22 16:04:53]

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Maybe a greenport is a port where the natural growth of green moss will be encouraged because the offloading cranes will spend so much time doing jack shit?"

nterestingly Southampton was planned as the original Europort as it had four tides a day and plenty of deep river front. The dockers going on strike so much put paid to that. Still a busy port but what could have been eh!

Btw only what I’ve been told by a port Master so feel free to challenge.

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

Maybe a greenport is a port where the natural growth of green moss will be encouraged because the offloading cranes will spend so much time doing jack shit?

nterestingly Southampton was planned as the original Europort as it had four tides a day and plenty of deep river front. The dockers going on strike so much put paid to that. Still a busy port but what could have been eh!

Btw only what I’ve been told by a port Master so feel free to challenge."

Probably didnt happen due to the bramble bank its a bit of a navigation hazard.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Btw only what I’ve been told by a port Master so feel free to challenge.Probably didnt happen due to the bramble bank its a bit of a navigation hazard. "

The famous cricket pitch.

That doesn’t stop massive ships from docking. So I’ll stick with the national dock labour board being the main hurdle., having been on the receiving end of that I can understand why.

It was a good idea but it was abused by the unions.

By *ostafun OP   Man
over a year ago

near ipswich

Btw only what I’ve been told by a port Master so feel free to challenge.Probably didnt happen due to the bramble bank its a bit of a navigation hazard.

That doesn’t stop massive ships from docking. So I’ll stick with the national dock labour board being the main hurdle., having been on the receiving end of that I can understand why.

"

No it doesn't cruise liners are in and out regularly but gateway and felixstowe are much more easy to access and not sure that a ship as big as the evergreen would manage it.As for four tides a day i presume you are talking 2 low and 2 high which all uk ports have.

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

Im sorry you are so sensitive about the snp but they are a political party in the uk and worth asking questions about just like any other. . ,,, ,,, ,,, sometimes it is necessary to change the name , , take the minimum wage for example , every Conservative MP voted against the minimum wage , , but they changed its name,now refer to it as the living wage and claim they introduced it ,,,,,,the point that should be repeated time after time is that Freeports are not a benefit of brexit,we had freeports while we were a member of the EU , and currently EU. countries have Freeports , , , Not so the minimum wage is different from the living wage. "

. ,,,, ,,, ,, ,,, ,,, ,,, ,,, another example of where it benefits the government to change the name of something is when ,what used to be called a party is now referred to as a work event

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Btw only what I’ve been told by a port Master so feel free to challenge.Probably didnt happen due to the bramble bank its a bit of a navigation hazard.

No it doesn't cruise liners are in and out regularly but gateway and felixstowe are much more easy to access and not sure that a ship as big as the evergreen would manage it.As for four tides a day i presume you are talking 2 low and 2 high which all uk ports have."

Sorry I didn’t make that clear. it’s four high tides a day and 2 per 12 hours one of the few port operation places in the world.

Felixstowe is a busy port I agree and the U.K’s busiest container port. The biggest tonnage wise is Immingham which also has 10 ferry berths . The Munich Maersk and the MOL Triumph both calling in Southampton with 20k plus TEU capacity means it can indeed take the big ships. I think the biggest is 24k TEU so can’t confirm that but as they take so long to load and unload not sure if that’s a good or bad thing.

It’s also quicker to Southampton than Felixstowe and Gateway for west bound traffic. It’s the link to London where Gateway definitely has the advantage.

Southampton has far more usable water front . It’s hasn’t been developed because they decided not to make it Europort.

I haven’t been for years so maybe it’s housing and yachts .

By *TMA that man againMan
over a year ago

worester

So are you saying that no decision should ever be reconsidered ?Of course not thats why i didnt use the "u turn" phrase that so many people like its the rebranding them as green ports that i find funny as if people are not going to notice they are the same as freeports.. ,,, ,,, ,,, if you are really looking for a U turn on Freeports ,look no further than the Conservative Party who scrapped Freeports in the UK in 2012 "

How many did we have in 2012??...oh yes, that's right..none! So how could they scrap them? Were they not allowed under EU?

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

I think the Tory’s got rid of the free ports because there’s no money in them.

They are basically bonded warehouse’s or indeed compounds where goods are technically not counted as British soil so no taxes or import duty.

I used to work on the docks when daewoo were exporting cars to the uk we had bonded areas where cars would sit until they were ordered and the bond paid allowing the car into uk soil.

It was a £10,000 fine if a car ever made it out without the bond paid

As far as I know it never happened

I’m presuming it would be the same for other goods ?

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

I should add that cars could be reloaded onto ships for onward journeys so I suppose they would not pay any tax on them and could possibly avoid taxes in other countries because of the destinations.

I’m not in customs so don’t really know

By *ebbie69Couple
over a year ago

milton keynes

"I think the Tory’s got rid of the free ports because there’s no money in them.

They are basically bonded warehouse’s or indeed compounds where goods are technically not counted as British soil so no taxes or import duty.

I used to work on the docks when daewoo were exporting cars to the uk we had bonded areas where cars would sit until they were ordered and the bond paid allowing the car into uk soil.

It was a £10,000 fine if a car ever made it out without the bond paid

As far as I know it never happened

I’m presuming it would be the same for other goods ?"

That's basically how I understand their role. I think if an item is imported to one of these ports, then turned into something else or assembled to other parts it can be 're exported without import taxes. If it goes into the rest of the UK then taxes are paid at that point. I think I recall reading that the likes of big manufacturing may use them so they only pay any taxes due when they know for sure that they actually need the parts. Apparently this helps cash flow.

By *ebbie69Couple
over a year ago

milton keynes

So are you saying that no decision should ever be reconsidered ?Of course not thats why i didnt use the "u turn" phrase that so many people like its the rebranding them as green ports that i find funny as if people are not going to notice they are the same as freeports.. ,,, ,,, ,,, if you are really looking for a U turn on Freeports ,look no further than the Conservative Party who scrapped Freeports in the UK in 2012

How many did we have in 2012??...oh yes, that's right..none! So how could they scrap them? Were they not allowed under EU?"

Pretty sure freeports are allowed under EU law with several operating across the continent at present

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

So are you saying that no decision should ever be reconsidered ?Of course not thats why i didnt use the "u turn" phrase that so many people like its the rebranding them as green ports that i find funny as if people are not going to notice they are the same as freeports.. ,,, ,,, ,,, if you are really looking for a U turn on Freeports ,look no further than the Conservative Party who scrapped Freeports in the UK in 2012

How many did we have in 2012??...oh yes, that's right..none! So how could they scrap them? Were they not allowed under EU?

Pretty sure freeports are allowed under EU law with several operating across the continent at present"

This

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"I should add that cars could be reloaded onto ships for onward journeys so I suppose they would not pay any tax on them and could possibly avoid taxes in other countries because of the destinations.

I’m not in customs so don’t really know "

I don’t know for sure but seem to remember they also have low tax regimes in general for companies manufacturing or based there. Things such as low rates and corporation tax. They are used in large part for importing and storing consignment stock so can it be drawn down at will but not pay tax on the full shipment in one go .

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

How many did we have in 2012??...oh yes, that's right..none! So how could they scrap them? Were they not allowed under EU?"

. ,,, ,,, While a member of the EU , the UK had 5 Freeports in 2012 ( Liverpool , Tilbury , Sheerness , Prestwich Airport and Southampton ) , the Conservative government allowed the licences required to expire , The current Conservative government are claiming a benefit of brexit is that we can now have Freeports in the UK because we have left the EU , apparently blissfully unaware that we had Freeports while we were a member and additionally equally blissfully unaware that there are around 80 Freeports in 20 EU countries

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

How many did we have in 2012??...oh yes, that's right..none! So how could they scrap them? Were they not allowed under EU?. ,,, ,,, While a member of the EU , the UK had 5 Freeports in 2012 ( Liverpool , Tilbury , Sheerness , Prestwich Airport and Southampton ) , the Conservative government allowed the licences required to expire , The current Conservative government are claiming a benefit of brexit is that we can now have Freeports in the UK because we have left the EU , apparently blissfully unaware that we had Freeports while we were a member and additionally equally blissfully unaware that there are around 80 Freeports in 20 EU countries "

We're the old UK ones and the EU ones the same as the new ones in the UK now?

over a year ago

Btw only what I’ve been told by a port Master so feel free to challenge."

I won't be challenging that.

Just search google maps for FutureLand and Rotterdam World Gateway.

The problem which Rotterdam faced was, it had too many boats and not enough docks. So they solved this problem by building a new island, with many docks, many terminals, and they made it ecological by also creating wonderful, golden, sandy beaches.

The Dutch aren't daft.

4 years ago, virtually every taxi in Amsterdam was already electric. (not hybrid, but electric)

4 years ago, in Amsterdam, if you bought an electric car, the local council would ensure you had a free charging point right outside your front door.

The Dutch are very house proud. That is understandable in places such as Amsterdam. If you're a home owner in Amsterdam and you don't maintain the appearance of your house to an acceptable standard, the local council will take ownership of your house.

Take care, and take pride!

over a year ago

How many did we have in 2012??...oh yes, that's right..none! So how could they scrap them? Were they not allowed under EU?. ,,, ,,, While a member of the EU , the UK had 5 Freeports in 2012 ( Liverpool , Tilbury , Sheerness , Prestwich Airport and Southampton ) , the Conservative government allowed the licences required to expire , The current Conservative government are claiming a benefit of brexit is that we can now have Freeports in the UK because we have left the EU , apparently blissfully unaware that we had Freeports while we were a member and additionally equally blissfully unaware that there are around 80 Freeports in 20 EU countries "

I like your comment. I was born and bread in 'Uddersfield. I have a quaint story about Empire.

Meanwhile, is Castleford still an Europort?

Post new Message to Thread