Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Crossing the floor

Jump to newest

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

Shouldn't this automatically trigger a by-election?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Shouldn't this automatically trigger a by-election?"

Not sure, hilarious though

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"Shouldn't this automatically trigger a by-election?

Not sure, hilarious though "

Certainly not ideal timing for BJ but, that aside, whichever way it goes, the electorate should have the opportunity to have their say again

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

I don't know, but I think that Johnson being so toxic that he's caused this is probably the bigger problem for the Tories to worry about than a by election.

over a year ago

Certainly not ideal timing for BJ but, that aside, whichever way it goes, the electorate should have the opportunity to have their say again "

Yep, I agree, if there is a by election labour will win

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

Certainly not ideal timing for BJ but, that aside, whichever way it goes, the electorate should have the opportunity to have their say again

Yep, I agree, if there is a by election labour will win "

I don't know about the constituency concerned, I'm just interested in the general principle.

over a year ago

I don't know about the constituency concerned, I'm just interested in the general principle. "

Tbh I don’t know, I guess you vote for the MP not the party??

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

No, it doesn't trigger a by-election.

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"No, it doesn't trigger a by-election. "

Yes, I'm aware of that. My post was more to question why it doesn't and if it's agreed that it should. Apologies if that wasn't clear

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"No, it doesn't trigger a by-election.

Yes, I'm aware of that. My post was more to question why it doesn't and if it's agreed that it should. Apologies if that wasn't clear"

Personally, I think it should as I think a lot of people vote for the same party, regardless of which toff they wheel in to the constituency.

So people should be given a chance to select again.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Yep, I agree, if there is a by election labour will win "

The conservatives only won it by 400 last time… it saves money just to give it back without the embarrassment!!!!

Always wondered how the local parties take the defection… do you just turn up at local party hq and pretend nothing happened!!!

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Yes of course people vote for policies not people.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

The conservatives only won it by 400 last time… it saves money just to give it back without the embarrassment!!!!

Always wondered how the local parties take the defection… do you just turn up at local party hq and pretend nothing happened!!! "

They have different coloured ties in the cupboard ready for just such an occasion. It saves on office moving costs.

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

Yes, it should. He may have rediscovered his conscience and turned away from the dark side - but there's no guarantee that the pitiful creatures who voted for him in 2019 have.

They may well be irredeemable and want an MP who represents their views in Westminster.

So, it should be put to the test.

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

"Yes of course people vote for policies not people."

Not entirely true - and you know it. Particularly in the cases of Johnson and Trump.

And, let's say, for the sake of argument, that it's as simple as you claim; can you explain to us all why you're so content to vote for policies which increase hardship, hunger and homelessness - in this country - even for children?

Only kidding. I know why. You've already told us it's because you don't give a fuck, as long as you and yours are ok.

It's the Tory way.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Yes of course people vote for policies not people.

Not entirely true - and you know it. Particularly in the cases of Johnson and Trump.

And, let's say, for the sake of argument, that it's as simple as you claim; can you explain to us all why you're so content to vote for policies which increase hardship, hunger and homelessness - in this country - even for children?

Only kidding. I know why. You've already told us it's because you don't give a fuck, as long as you and yours are ok.

It's the Tory way."

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

I think this came up a few years ago when some MP's left their parties to form a new party (during the early brexit time). I think they got away with no bi election then, so doubt it's changed

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

I have to agree with Costa which surprises me

He should resign and there should be a by election. He stood on the Tory party platform not the labour. So whilst I can see he’s trying to keep his job at the next election it’s, in my opinion morally wrong.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS
over a year ago

Notts

"I have to agree with Costa which surprises me

He should resign and there should be a by election. He stood on the Tory party platform not the labour. So whilst I can see he’s trying to keep his job at the next election it’s, in my opinion morally wrong. "

Yep think we all think the same, what if he was bnp and crossed over lol perhaps thats what all parties should do, get people to stand as green, libdem etc and then after voted in cross floor, slam dunk!

By *9alMan
over a year ago

Bridgend

I think this came up a few years ago when some MP's left their parties to form a new party (during the early brexit time). I think they got away with no bi election then, so doubt it's changed"

In theory you vote for the person not the party but in practice most people vote for a party

perhaps there should be a rule where there has to be a bye election within a given time after a change of party

over a year ago

Notts

[Removed by poster at 19/01/22 21:24:48]

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

I think this came up a few years ago when some MP's left their parties to form a new party (during the early brexit time). I think they got away with no bi election then, so doubt it's changed

In theory you vote for the person not the party but in practice most people vote for a party

perhaps there should be a rule where there has to be a bye election within a given time after a change of party "

I disagree. I think the majority of people vote for the party in a GE

over a year ago

Ironically, the guy who crossed the floor signed a members’ bill last year suggesting those who do so should face a by-election. Will he practise what he preaches? Of course not - he’s a politician…

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"Ironically, the guy who crossed the floor signed a members’ bill last year suggesting those who do so should face a by-election. Will he practise what he preaches? Of course not - he’s a politician…"

over a year ago

Why would any defecting MP have to face a by election. Good god, they wouldn't put that in the rule book, it would cost them wages and wow these self serving bastards would never do that. All got their noses in the trough.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Was a bit rash..

What's he going to do if 53 no confidence letters are handed in and his would have been the 54th, maybe he should have waited a few weeks..

He may live to regret it.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Then again...

Might be Boris's plan, let them go to Labour. He doesn't get a no confidence battle and he'd loose those seats in next election anyway.

By *bernathCouple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

What I see the most is how the “papers” are desperately spinning this story into some galvanising action which will prevent Boris from being kicked out, pull the other one!, no matter how much these “papers” try to rally their base, its largely being ignored, probably because people are totally fed up with the PM and they are willing to accept he has reached the end of the line as far as they are concerned.

over a year ago

I take the opposite view - the BBC is now championing David Davis, an MP about whom they didn’t have a good word to say during Brexit. Amazing how their opinions change…

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Based on some of the responses in this thread, I think the first thing we need to establish is whether it is a:

By election

Bi election

Bye election

Buy election

By the way (see what I did there) it is a:

By-election

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

"I take the opposite view - the BBC is now championing David Davis, an MP about whom they didn’t have a good word to say during Brexit. Amazing how their opinions change…"

David Davis - a man with ambition who wants himself as the next PM.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"I take the opposite view - the BBC is now championing David Davis, an MP about whom they didn’t have a good word to say during Brexit. Amazing how their opinions change…"

I guess it's a curiosity why a lying prick with zero morals, would suddenly do something which appears to be based on a moral judgement.

I'm sure no one actually believes he suddenly wants to do the right thing. There's some other personal gain for him.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Ever put rats in a sack and left them overnight?

He wants to be PM

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Maybe it was a test of nerve from his backers?

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

In this case I really don't see the need for a by-election.

If one was called in Bury South Labour would almost certainly win it at the moment. Result = 1 more Labour MP.

MP crosses the floor from Tories to Labour. Result = 1 more Labour MP.

It would just be a colossal waste of time and money. Not to mention the good people of Bury having to endure weeks of preening politicians taking over their town.

Let it lie.

over a year ago

Notts

"Why would any defecting MP have to face a by election. Good god, they wouldn't put that in the rule book, it would cost them wages and wow these self serving bastards would never do that. All got their noses in the trough. "

If you're thinking about wage packets and how your constituents might vote next time?

over a year ago

Notts

"In this case I really don't see the need for a by-election.

If one was called in Bury South Labour would almost certainly win it at the moment. Result = 1 more Labour MP.

It would just be a colossal waste of time and money. Not to mention the good people of Bury having to endure weeks of preening politicians taking over their town.

Let it lie."

He should sit in the turn coat pit, his vote void until he stands again?

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Let it lie."

Your result prediction is probably accurate but personally I feel its up to the constituents to decide if the want a Labour MP or not. Or maybe not bother with any so called safe seats at actual bi elections for the same reason

over a year ago

It looks like he was ‘threatened’ with having fusing removed for a school in his constituency if he didn’t toe the line, what a type of pathetic government would allow this?

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Let it lie.

Your result prediction is probably accurate but personally I feel its up to the constituents to decide if the want a Labour MP or not. Or maybe not bother with any so called safe seats at actual bi elections for the same reason"

Bury South has the largest Jewish community in the North-West, and that could be why it turned blue at the last GE.

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

You vote for the MP, not the party.

However an MP who changes between those two parties needed to be looked at.

C

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

C"

Do you? personally i vote for policies not a person.

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

CDo you? personally i vote for policies not a person."

Tribalism counts for around 60% on both sides, as much as certain voices on here seem to disagree. Frankly a monkey in a suit in certain areas will always get the same vote

Post new Message to Thread