Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

EU v Russia

Jump to newest

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

Does the EU have the strength in any capacity to stand up to Russia?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

I shouldn't think so but they've been spoiling for a fight for years.

I just hope Britain has the sense to keep well out

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

I don't think Russia is picking a fight with anyone.

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"I don't think Russia is picking a fight with anyone."

Anyone other than China?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Just flexing their muscles to try and get nordstream 2 open without the eu rules on monopolies, lets see who gets their own way. It was a bad idea from the start and its worked out well for Russia not only are they fucking the Ukraine but now have the eu by the bollocks too.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

I’m sure now we are global Britain and going it alone we can keep them in check!!

I bet they are quaking in their boots .. or do I mean chuckling?

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"I’m sure now we are global Britain and going it alone we can keep them in check!!

I bet they are quaking in their boots .. or do I mean chuckling? "

EU v Russia?????

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"I’m sure now we are global Britain and going it alone we can keep them in check!!

What has britain got to do with this thread is there any thread you wont use to slag the uk off?

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

I bet they are quaking in their boots .. or do I mean chuckling? What has britain got to do with this thread is there any thread you wont use to slag the uk off?"

Well, if Bad Boy Boris doesn't want to get dragged into another World War, he needs to watch his words. Ah, that could be a problem!!

It was Churchill standing by Poland that pulled us into the last one. Is he going to give Putin until midnight to get out otherwise declare War?

The UK has no influence over Russia, Umbrellas, Novochoc and Polonium proves that.

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

"I shouldn't think so but they've been spoiling for a fight for years.

I just hope Britain has the sense to keep well out"

Untrue

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Firstly, Apologies to the OP I misread the original post. The EU has economic muscle we don’t have and I believe we added to that muscle but sadly we decided to make them and us weaker.

Secondly, if my post made you even more irate and pretend a flag waver Costa that amuses me.

Personally I believe my voting remain was for the good of this country your vote to leave was purely due to your own distrust of the EU and didn’t take into account any financial and wellbeing benefits we had . I supported a better off country you didn’t give a fuck about the fall out and negative impact as you’re alright Jack being an old guy. So don’t tell me I slag my country off as I put the country’s financial well-being well before any petty simplistic views on “ he earns more than me”. Get over it they earn more than you and this country was better off.

I will retire from this post . Once again my apology to the OP.

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

"Firstly, Apologies to the OP I misread the original post. The EU has economic muscle we don’t have and I believe we added to that muscle but sadly we decided to make them and us weaker.

Secondly, if my post made you even more irate and pretend a flag waver Costa that amuses me.

Personally I believe my voting remain was for the good of this country your vote to leave was purely due to your own distrust of the EU and didn’t take into account any financial and wellbeing benefits we had . I supported a better off country you didn’t give a fuck about the fall out and negative impact as you’re alright Jack being an old guy. So don’t tell me I slag my country off as I put the country’s financial well-being well before any petty simplistic views on “ he earns more than me”. Get over it they earn more than you and this country was better off.

I will retire from this post . Once again my apology to the OP. "

Extremely noble

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Firstly, Apologies to the OP I misread the original post. The EU has economic muscle we don’t have and I believe we added to that muscle but sadly we decided to make them and us weaker.

I will retire from this post . Once again my apology to the OP. "

You certainly have a high opinion of yourself if you think that your posts make me irate,and have told you numerous times why i am happy outside the eu.

I understand you are very disappointed that the majority who voted voted leave and you cannot get past that fact but that is no reason to be constantly down on the UK its time to move on we will not be rejoining anytime soon.

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

I will retire from this post . Once again my apology to the OP. You certainly have a high opinion of yourself if you think that your posts make me irate,and have told you numerous times why i am happy outside the eu.

I understand you are very disappointed that the majority who voted voted leave and you cannot get past that fact but that is no reason to be constantly down on the UK its time to move on we will not be rejoining anytime soon. "

A couple of things

The majority was a minority of those entitled to vote, at the next general election the parties favouring remain got the greater vote share.

And saying someone is not jingoistic enough is not a good look.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

I will retire from this post . Once again my apology to the OP. You certainly have a high opinion of yourself if you think that your posts make me irate,and have told you numerous times why i am happy outside the eu.

I understand you are very disappointed that the majority who voted voted leave and you cannot get past that fact but that is no reason to be constantly down on the UK its time to move on we will not be rejoining anytime soon. "

they will never get over it or stop putting the U.K. down sad really

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Yet another reason to move away from using gas and other fossil fuels and generate our own power

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

"Yet another reason to move away from using gas and other fossil fuels and generate our own power

"

Well there’s plenty of hot air in these forums so some folks will be fine at generating their own power!

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Just as the discussion was taking an intelligent turn, along comes Jackal to disappoint us

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

I understand you are very disappointed that the majority who voted voted leave and you cannot get past that fact but that is no reason to be constantly down on the UK its time to move on we will not be rejoining anytime soon.

A couple of things

The majority was a minority of those entitled to vote, at the next general election the parties favouring remain got the greater vote share.

And saying someone is not jingoistic enough is not a good look."

Oops, I think you need to engage your brain and actually read what has been said

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Russia got trump elected and were pivotal in the outcome if the brexit referendum and getting Boris elected (even the name sounds Russian!!)

They then dumped trump and got the old guy elected to distract the Americans while they starve Europe of gas causing an energy crisis.

They developed the Covid virus and spread it via china and Italy

dasvidaniya

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS
over a year ago

Notts

"Does the EU have the strength in any capacity to stand up to Russia?"

only if we borrow rocky from the usa and send him... it works in the film!

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

"Russia got trump elected and were pivotal in the outcome if the brexit referendum and getting Boris elected (even the name sounds Russian!!)

They then dumped trump and got the old guy elected to distract the Americans while they starve Europe of gas causing an energy crisis.

dasvidaniya"

Evidence?

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

"Russia got trump elected and were pivotal in the outcome if the brexit referendum and getting Boris elected (even the name sounds Russian!!)

dasvidaniya

Evidence?"

There is significant evidence of Putin interference in the Trump election, which if memory has resulted in prosecution in the US of Trump allies.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

dasvidaniya

Evidence?

There is significant evidence of Putin interference in the Trump election, which if memory has resulted in prosecution in the US of Trump allies. "

Is this in the realms of territory as well

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

The EU has been funding propaganda and fake 'civil groups' in Ukraine for years now.

Prodding Russia.

They will start a war.

Britain should keep well away

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

dasvidaniya

Evidence?

There is significant evidence of Putin interference in the Trump election, which if memory has resulted in prosecution in the US of Trump allies. "

Evidence?

over a year ago

"The EU has been funding propaganda and fake 'civil groups' in Ukraine for years now.

Prodding Russia.

They will start a war.

Britain should keep well away"

Evidence?

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

dasvidaniya

Evidence?

There is significant evidence of Putin interference in the Trump election, which if memory has resulted in prosecution in the US of Trump allies.

Evidence?"

Mueller report of 2019

Happy to help

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

dasvidaniya

Evidence?

Evidence?

Mueller report of 2019

Happy to help "

As it's you

Republican-led Senate Intelligence Committee submitted the first in their five-volume 1,313-page report in July 2019 in which they concluded that the January 2017 intelligence community assessment alleging Russian interference was "coherent and well-constructed". The first volume also concluded that the assessment was "proper", learning from analysts that there was "no politically motivated pressure to reach specific conclusions". The final and fifth volume, which was the result of three years of investigations, was released in August 2020, ending one of the United States "highest-profile congressional inquiries." The Committee report found that the Russian government had engaged in an "extensive campaign" to sabotage the election in favor of Trump, which included assistance from some of Trump's own advisers.

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

dasvidaniya

Evidence?

Evidence?

Mueller report of 2019

Happy to help "

Dropped now. Based on the Christopher Steele report that was paid for by Clinton.

Anything else?

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Danchenko has now been arrested for lying about his role in the Clinton-funded Steele report.

The net is closing in on the Democrats. How high up the party hierarchy does the corruption go?

What will it reveal about the media, Mueller and the Clinton campaign?

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Danchenko has now been arrested for lying about his role in the Clinton-funded Steele report.

The net is closing in on the Democrats. How high up the party hierarchy does the corruption go?

What will it reveal about the media, Mueller and the Clinton campaign?

"

The media made loads of bucks and pulitzer prize awards for hateful fearful fake conspiracy porridge.

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

"Does the EU have the strength in any capacity to stand up to Russia?"

To stand up to? Certainly. Economically, for a start. Militarily, definitely; since enough EU countries are members of NATO for that to be a significant factor. Article 5 doesn't just apply to the USA - and Putin knows it.

Now, he may well be trying to destabilise the EU - and doing a good job of it - but he's not capable of destroying it.

One of the most interesting things to happen, lately, is the UK's decision to send Royal Engineers to help the Poles strengthen their border.

Particularly ironic, considering the Royal Navy and Border Force can't secure their own.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"Does the EU have the strength in any capacity to stand up to Russia?

To stand up to? Certainly. Economically, for a start. Militarily, definitely; since enough EU countries are members of NATO for that to be a significant factor. Article 5 doesn't just apply to the USA - and Putin knows it.

Now, he may well be trying to destabilise the EU - and doing a good job of it - but he's not capable of destroying it.

One of the most interesting things to happen, lately, is the UK's decision to send Royal Engineers to help the Poles strengthen their border.

Particularly ironic, considering the Royal Navy and Border Force can't secure their own. "

I think like most they have to rely on the USA as all of the EU put together can not stand up to Russia military wise

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Fortunately th EU is too close to Russia to launch nukes

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

Nato is considering moving nuclear weaponry around the continent to repel the threat of moscow.

it's like the pea and the cups.

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"Nato is considering moving nuclear weaponry around the continent to repel the threat of moscow.

it's like the pea and the cups. "

Good ol' NATO. About as toothless as the UN. It is the USA like it or not

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

Particularly ironic, considering the Royal Navy and Border Force can't secure their own.

I think like most they have to rely on the USA as all of the EU put together can not stand up to Russia military wise"

The Russians couldn't hold Afghanistan -and they're a lot less capable of holding most of Europe than the Nazis were.

Have you forgotten that holding Eastern Europe eventually fucked their economy; which, right now, is smaller than Italy's.

By the way, the UK is as reliant on the USA for its defence as much as the EU is. We even have USMC F35s on our aircraft carrier; just so the Chinese don't try and damage it.

They could, but to do so with US aircraft on it would get a response they'd have to worry about - and they know it.

So does the RN, which is why it's not just their planes onboard.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

I think like most they have to rely on the USA as all of the EU put together can not stand up to Russia military wise"

most off what you see and read about Russia’s military is propaganda it’s dated and only numbers but not much quality behind it

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

I think like most they have to rely on the USA as all of the EU put together can not stand up to Russia military wise

The Russians couldn't hold Afghanistan -and they're a lot less capable of holding most of Europe than the Nazis were.

Have you forgotten that holding Eastern Europe eventually fucked their economy; which, right now, is smaller than Italy's.

By the way, the UK is as reliant on the USA for its defence as much as the EU is. We even have USMC F35s on our aircraft carrier; just so the Chinese don't try and damage it.

They could, but to do so with US aircraft on it would get a response they'd have to worry about - and they know it.

So does the RN, which is why it's not just their planes onboard."

Hence why I started my post with 'like most they rely on the USA'. If it were not for the USA all of Europe would be under serious threat from Russia

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

Hence why I started my post with 'like most they rely on the USA'. If it were not for the USA all of Europe would be under serious threat from Russia"

No. It wouldn't. Russia doesn't have the means, economically or militarily, to subjugate Europe.

Yes, they can make a nuisance of themselves - and they're very good at that; but invasion? No way.

Apart from anything else, having gained their freedom from Soviet rule that lasted 45 years and enjoyed the benefits of over 30 years of their own sovereignty; do you really think the people of Eastern Europe wouldn't put up a hell of a fight?

Unlike us, they truly know what would be at stake.

The Russians aren't going to go to war with the EU. Ukraine, maybe - but they don't seem in a hurry to do that, either. They have the Crimea back. It'll do them.

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

I think like most they have to rely on the USA as all of the EU put together can not stand up to Russia military wisemost off what you see and read about Russia’s military is propaganda it’s dated and only numbers but not much quality behind it "

A lot of it is Western propaganda. Jens Stoltenberg is pretty bad for it - he really has to justify NATO's existence; so much so, he's even banging on about China.

About the only thing that would really stimulate European defence spending would be if the USA withdrew from NATO, to concentrate on China.

That's highly unlikely - it didn't happen, even under Trump - but it still gives Jens nightmares.

over a year ago

I bet they are quaking in their boots .. or do I mean chuckling? What has britain got to do with this thread is there any thread you wont use to slag the uk off?

Well, if Bad Boy Boris doesn't want to get dragged into another World War, he needs to watch his words. Ah, that could be a problem!!

It was Churchill standing by Poland that pulled us into the last one. Is he going to give Putin until midnight to get out otherwise declare War?

The UK has no influence over Russia, Umbrellas, Novochoc and Polonium proves that."

We’re safe then as Boris obvs does not respect treaties, pacts and international law. So can posture but do fk all. If Boris had been around in 1939 we’d all be speaking German now.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Hence why I started my post with 'like most they rely on the USA'. If it were not for the USA all of Europe would be under serious threat from Russia

No. It wouldn't. Russia doesn't have the means, economically or militarily, to subjugate Europe.

Yes, they can make a nuisance of themselves - and they're very good at that; but invasion? No way.

Apart from anything else, having gained their freedom from Soviet rule that lasted 45 years and enjoyed the benefits of over 30 years of their own sovereignty; do you really think the people of Eastern Europe wouldn't put up a hell of a fight?

The Russians aren't going to go to war with the EU. Ukraine, maybe - but they don't seem in a hurry to do that, either. They have the Crimea back. It'll do them."

I'm not for one minute suggesting that Russia will invade what I am saying is that in my opinion if it were not for American forces all of Europe would not defeat Russia if for some crazy reason it did decide on conflict. On the news they noted that the forces left near the Ukrainian border after exercise is greater than the entire British army. Hopefully they will not go for Ukraine but if they do it will be telling what response happens from the west

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS
over a year ago

Notts

The Russians aren't going to go to war with the EU. Ukraine, maybe - but they don't seem in a hurry to do that, either. They have the Crimea back. It'll do them."

How do you know lol Hitler kept taking until others said stop....

By *V-AliceTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

The Russians aren't going to go to war with the EU. Ukraine, maybe - but they don't seem in a hurry to do that, either. They have the Crimea back. It'll do them.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that Russia will invade what I am saying is that in my opinion if it were not for American forces all of Europe would not defeat Russia if for some crazy reason it did decide on conflict. On the news they noted that the forces left near the Ukrainian border after exercise is greater than the entire British army. Hopefully they will not go for Ukraine but if they do it will be telling what response happens from the west"

Right enough; the notion of an invasion in either direction is ridiculous.

Who knows how we'll respond if they decide to invade the rest of Ukraine? I'm not convinced they will - there's no real benefit to it.

Being the stone in everyone's shoe is what Russia is best at. Doesn't cost them much and keeps everyone else on edge. They can keep doing it for as long as they like, too.

By *mateur100 OP   Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

I'm not for one minute suggesting that Russia will invade what I am saying is that in my opinion if it were not for American forces all of Europe would not defeat Russia if for some crazy reason it did decide on conflict. On the news they noted that the forces left near the Ukrainian border after exercise is greater than the entire British army. Hopefully they will not go for Ukraine but if they do it will be telling what response happens from the west

Right enough; the notion of an invasion in either direction is ridiculous.

Who knows how we'll respond if they decide to invade the rest of Ukraine? I'm not convinced they will - there's no real benefit to it.

Being the stone in everyone's shoe is what Russia is best at. Doesn't cost them much and keeps everyone else on edge. They can keep doing it for as long as they like, too."

Are you still confident in your belief? I doubt the good people of Ukraine are bearing in mind what happened the last time they relief upon NATO protection

Post new Message to Thread