Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Violence against women.

Jump to newest

By *ittleAcorn OP   Man
over a year ago

visiting the beach

I was listening to how low a priority domestic abuse and violence against women is given, against say terrorism.

So I was curious about the numbers.

Since 1990 around 100 people have been killed by terrorists in this country (the majority from two events, 7/7 bombing and the Manchester Arena).

In comparison over 200 women were killed just last year.

Over half of them by people they knew, so it's not even a difficult crime to detect or prevent.

But obviously it does not get the attention that the threat of terrorism does in the media.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

very true and i agree it should be given top priority the trouble is with domestic violence most incidents attended by the police the victim refuses to bring charges against the perpetrator. The police need very strong evidence that a life is in danger to bring a police prosecution against them without the victims support. Its a very tricky situation which needs a law reform.

By *ittleAcorn OP   Man
over a year ago

visiting the beach

The police do not need a victim to bring charges, that's their job. But obviously they do need the victim as a willing witness.

Something like 40% of cases stalled due to this issue. I thought these two statements from the ONS website very telling:

"The police recorded 758,941 domestic abuse-related crimes in England and Wales (excluding Greater Manchester Police)1 in the year ending March 2020, an increase of 9% compared with the previous year.

The number of domestic abuse-related CPS prosecutions in England and Wales fell 22%, from 78,624 in the year ending March 2019 to 61,169 in the year ending March 2020."

Occurrences going up, prosecutions going down. The whole justice system has been creaking at the seams for some time.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"The police do not need a victim to bring charges, that's their job. But obviously they do need the victim as a willing witness.

Something like 40% of cases stalled due to this issue. I thought these two statements from the ONS website very telling:

"The police recorded 758,941 domestic abuse-related crimes in England and Wales (excluding Greater Manchester Police)1 in the year ending March 2020, an increase of 9% compared with the previous year.

The number of domestic abuse-related CPS prosecutions in England and Wales fell 22%, from 78,624 in the year ending March 2019 to 61,169 in the year ending March 2020."

Occurrences going up, prosecutions going down. The whole justice system has been creaking at the seams for some time.

"

I never said they did if you read my post properly but without a witness report its up to the cps to decide on whether they will get a conviction and to proceed this is why i said it needs looking at.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I was listening to how low a priority domestic abuse and violence against women is given, against say terrorism.

Since 1990 around 100 people have been killed by terrorists in this country (the majority from two events, 7/7 bombing and the Manchester Arena).

Over half of them by people they knew, so it's not even a difficult crime to detect or prevent.

But obviously it does not get the attention that the threat of terrorism does in the media.

"

You've just stated why it's such a difficult crime to prevent. Over half of the crimes come from people who are in the same bed as the victim. And I'd bet a good amount of those are alcohol and drug fuelled so can be spontaneous acts. How do you prevent spontaneous violence?

And it may not get the media coverage of terrorism, but it does have resources applied to it constantly, helplines, social media groups, shelters, advise and strategies for sos tactics for the person in need of escape. It is always in the media in some form, but like terrorism between isreal and Palestine, it is become a daily occurence, so it doesn't generate the hype that news companies crave.

By *ittleAcorn OP   Man
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"I was listening to how low a priority domestic abuse and violence against women is given, against say terrorism.

You've just stated why it's such a difficult crime to prevent. Over half of the crimes come from people who are in the same bed as the victim. And I'd bet a good amount of those are alcohol and drug fuelled so can be spontaneous acts. How do you prevent spontaneous violence?

And it may not get the media coverage of terrorism, but it does have resources applied to it constantly, helplines, social media groups, shelters, advise and strategies for sos tactics for the person in need of escape. It is always in the media in some form, but like terrorism between isreal and Palestine, it is become a daily occurence, so it doesn't generate the hype that news companies crave.

"

Yes and no!

The violence may well be spontaneous, but it's not difficult to predict.

It's generally part of a pattern within a relationship, with the severity increasing with each episode.

Earlier intervention? More credence given to the claims of victims? But yes because it is embedded in that "domestic" arena it is more difficult.

By *ittleAcorn OP   Man
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"The police do not need a victim to bring charges, that's their job. But obviously they do need the victim as a willing witness.

I never said they did if you read my post properly but without a witness report its up to the cps to decide on whether they will get a conviction and to proceed this is why i said it needs looking at."

You actually said; "the victim refuses to bring charges" not sure how that could be read any other way.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Agree that it is a serious crime and needs more attention.

But disagree that it is easy to detect and prevent. Detection requires victim reporting it and also having evidence. In many cases, they don't report. Even if they do, getting evidence can be hard.

Prevention is even harder. Maybe regular abusers can be identified and stopped. But in many cases, these incidents happen out of nowhere.

Post new Message to Thread