Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Weights and measures

Jump to newest

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

What the holy fuck? Is there anybody on this site that as an adult has ever worked exclusively in the obsolete UK imperial weights and measures system? Teaching of the imperial system was scrapped in schools at least 55 years ago.

According to the Times, it is now Johnson's policy that the way to the future economic success of the UK is to head 60 years into the past.

PS. Anybody who tries to claim this is a good idea, please accompany your post with a clear and lucid explanation of pecks and bushels, rods chains and furlongs, minims scruples and drachms, grains and pennyweights, leagues and fathoms. In your own words, not filched from wikipedia or history books.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *olcanoJoeMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Gammon appeasement of the highest order. Shops can now sell the air from their empty shelves by the ounce. Hooray for Brexit

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Just feels like the dead cat story of the day. Another way to provoke the pointless culture war. Get people divided, get them arguing. That way they can't scrutinise all the shit the government is pulling.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

I shall enjoy a few "pints" this weekend.

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"I shall enjoy a few "pints" this weekend. "

Half litre just does not have the same ring to it does it!

By *eanoCoolMan
over a year ago

wisbech

"What the holy fuck? Is there anybody on this site that as an adult has ever worked exclusively in the obsolete UK imperial weights and measures system? Teaching of the imperial system was scrapped in schools at least 55 years ago.

According to the Times, it is now Johnson's policy that the way to the future economic success of the UK is to head 60 years into the past.

PS. Anybody who tries to claim this is a good idea, please accompany your post with a clear and lucid explanation of pecks and bushels, rods chains and furlongs, minims scruples and drachms, grains and pennyweights, leagues and fathoms. In your own words, not filched from wikipedia or history books."

My business still produces parts to imperial measurements as not all of our customers use metric, the USA being the prime example, so we have to be able to understand and work in both imperial and metric measurement. I remember being taught the basics at school in the 80,s and then more intensively when I did my apprenticeship. Personally I cant see no harm in learning to use both even if you do not need to use them on a daily basis like myself.

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"What the holy fuck? Is there anybody on this site that as an adult has ever worked exclusively in the obsolete UK imperial weights and measures system? Teaching of the imperial system was scrapped in schools at least 55 years ago.

PS. Anybody who tries to claim this is a good idea, please accompany your post with a clear and lucid explanation of pecks and bushels, rods chains and furlongs, minims scruples and drachms, grains and pennyweights, leagues and fathoms. In your own words, not filched from wikipedia or history books.

My business still produces parts to imperial measurements as not all of our customers use metric, the USA being the prime example, so we have to be able to understand and work in both imperial and metric measurement. I remember being taught the basics at school in the 80,s and then more intensively when I did my apprenticeship. Personally I cant see no harm in learning to use both even if you do not need to use them on a daily basis like myself. "

The USA imperial measures are different to the old UK ones though aren't they? I'm pretty sure that a US gallon is a different amount than an old UK gallon for instance. When directly involved in trading with a large country that uses a non-metric system I can see that it is necessary to understand the measures of that country. However a revival of UK measures that have been obsolete for the greatest part of the lives of every single person in this country seems to be utterly pointless at best, and a total distraction from fixing any of the real problems that we are currently facing.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

My business still produces parts to imperial measurements as not all of our customers use metric, the USA being the prime example, so we have to be able to understand and work in both imperial and metric measurement. I remember being taught the basics at school in the 80,s and then more intensively when I did my apprenticeship. Personally I cant see no harm in learning to use both even if you do not need to use them on a daily basis like myself.

The USA imperial measures are different to the old UK ones though aren't they? I'm pretty sure that a US gallon is a different amount than an old UK gallon for instance. When directly involved in trading with a large country that uses a non-metric system I can see that it is necessary to understand the measures of that country. However a revival of UK measures that have been obsolete for the greatest part of the lives of every single person in this country seems to be utterly pointless at best, and a total distraction from fixing any of the real problems that we are currently facing."

I think you are looking for problems where they don't exist i dont see anywhere that they want to replace the metric system with imperial just a choice,if someone wants a pound of grapes for instance they could buy them.

By *eanoCoolMan
over a year ago

wisbech

The USA imperial measures are different to the old UK ones though aren't they? I'm pretty sure that a US gallon is a different amount than an old UK gallon for instance. When directly involved in trading with a large country that uses a non-metric system I can see that it is necessary to understand the measures of that country. However a revival of UK measures that have been obsolete for the greatest part of the lives of every single person in this country seems to be utterly pointless at best, and a total distraction from fixing any of the real problems that we are currently facing."

Yes there are some differences between the two systems, especially in the measurement of liquids as you mentioned, although most dimensional measurements are equivalent to our imperial system. I didn't think the announcement was a revival but more of a option for people to retail a product using imperial measures which they have been legally unable to do, some may choose now to revert but I would hazard a guess most wont because of extra costs involved for new signage in stores, website alterations etc.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Anyone remember the Metric Martyrs????

over a year ago

Yes I have

We used both when i was a Development chef in a dessert factory

People use it every day when using their vehicle, MPG while fuel is sold in Ltrs. We still use Miles

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

Does this mean the end of the quarter pounder

over a year ago

Ohhh

And other not so legal plants are still sold in Ounces. Its only been since about 2010 it was also sold in G because they can make more money. 1/16th Oz is £10 which is 1.7grams most now sell 0.8-1g for £10

By *coptoCouple
over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"if someone wants a pound of grapes for instance they could buy them"

And perhaps they could buy a pint of beer or 4 pints of milk?

But wait... they can and do already, it's simply that to avoid confusion for consumers from other countries, the EU insisted on weights and measures being shown on the packaging AS WELL.

But now we don't have to bother.

By *eanoCoolMan
over a year ago

wisbech

"Ohhh

And other not so legal plants are still sold in Ounces. Its only been since about 2010 it was also sold in G because they can make more money. 1/16th Oz is £10 which is 1.7grams most now sell 0.8-1g for £10

"

Lol yeah the metric system change was a gold mine for the dealers, more cash for less product, win win lol

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

So there will be 0 LBs of fresh vegatables on the shelves rather than 0 KGs of fresh veg

Winning

By *inkywife1981Couple
over a year ago

A town near you

How many miles per hour does your car go.

Pretty sure in the UK road signs are in miles.

I've never read anywhere in the forums any guy ever bragging about his 220mm cock, usually inches!

How does one describe their height- feet and inches !

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

PS. Anybody who tries to claim this is a good idea, please accompany your post with a clear and lucid explanation of pecks and bushels, rods chains and furlongs, minims scruples and drachms, grains and pennyweights, leagues and fathoms. In your own words, not filched from wikipedia or history books."

Engineering firms still use imperial, when they are maintaining or repairing old machinery.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"I shall enjoy a few "pints" this weekend.

Half litre just does not have the same ring to it does it! "

What about half a yard

By *ebbie69Couple
over a year ago

milton keynes

"How many miles per hour does your car go.

I've never read anywhere in the forums any guy ever bragging about his 220mm cock, usually inches!

How does one describe their height- feet and inches !"

And pretty sure staff at pubs are used to selling beer by the pint.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"I shall enjoy a few "pints" this weekend.

Half litre just does not have the same ring to it does it!

What about half a yard "

I managed a gallon of beer last night, then a taxi took me the 4 miles home, before I fell asleep in front of my 42 inch TV.

The fact is, we still use both systems, and it works. Nothing will change, other than some shopkeepers can offer their wares in imperial, without fear of prosecution.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

And pretty sure staff at pubs are used to selling beer by the pint."

How do they sell wine??

By *ugehandsMan
over a year ago

Fife/ Newcastle

How do they sell wine?? "

By the box I believe

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

It's a total waste of time,

They were on about it on the radio and some woman was saying how she coule not visualise a kilometre but could a mile .

Some people just never got over the decimalisation

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I don’t think we buy enough stuff by the bushel I’m all for that one coming back.

over a year ago

"It's a total waste of time,

They were on about it on the radio and some woman was saying how she coule not visualise a kilometre but could a mile .

Some people just never got over the decimalisation "

Well when does the normal person use KM? Only reason i have a vague understanding of how far it is is because of the trauma of cross country at school lol

It is easier to visualise a mile because we use it alot more than KM

By *ebbie69Couple
over a year ago

milton keynes

By the glass or bottle. I know what you mean, that the glass is a particular ml but I have only heard people order it by the glass or bottle. Same with beer, that will be a particular ml but requested and sold by the pint. The speed dial in my car has both MPH and KMH though the MPH is larger and more prominent.

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

Having your own unique weights and measurements can only help trade with the rest of the world.

Cant it?

Another joke from the clown.

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"It's a total waste of time,

Some people just never got over the decimalisation

Well when does the normal person use KM? Only reason i have a vague understanding of how far it is is because of the trauma of cross country at school lol

It is easier to visualise a mile because we use it alot more than KM"

It was an example of her futile argument about it being good to bring back imperial.

As for weights it’s not that difficult

By *inkywife1981Couple
over a year ago

A town near you

In Ireland we use the metric system yet in everyday life just about everything and everyone uses the imperial system to explain things.

Even the younger guys, if you ask them to measure something 100mm they will say what like 4 inches lol

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

SEARCH . . .

"The mess we are in

British weights and measures are in a mess."

I don't know anyone young or old that doesn't mix up and use the two systems on a daily basis.

So it really is better to have everybody know how to use both well.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

Oh, and also ask yourself how many kilometres you drove this week.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

and - 'I went out for a 0.568261L with the lads last night"'

Sounds like a great night. How many 0.568261L did you drink?

Hey barman pour me another 0.568261L if you would be so kind.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 18/09/21 22:20:29]

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

How do they sell wine??

By the glass or bottle. I know what you mean, that the glass is a particular ml but I have only heard people order it by the glass or bottle. Same with beer, that will be a particular ml but requested and sold by the pint. The speed dial in my car has both MPH and KMH though the MPH is larger and more prominent."

I’m not against what you call when you order your drink but to hang on to an outdated irrational measuring system is just nonsense and the sooner we do away with imperial the better . It’s just romantic rose coloured thinking of the past.

It’s time consuming and as the world other than the US and two tiny countries are metric we need to move on. It’s an example of our years and years of useless government that pander to populism rather than telling people as it is.

We buy litres of milk in supermarkets and are starting to think of milk in litres not pints. If a pint wasn’t taught we wouldn’t even mention it in the future.

I also think this is a non news event aimed at distraction. But I’m cynical and Boris would never do such a thing.

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

How do they sell wine??

By the glass or bottle. I know what you mean, that the glass is a particular ml but I have only heard people order it by the glass or bottle. Same with beer, that will be a particular ml but requested and sold by the pint. The speed dial in my car has both MPH and KMH though the MPH is larger and more prominent.

I’m not against what you call when you order your drink but to hang on to an outdated irrational measuring system is just nonsense and the sooner we do away with imperial the better . It’s just romantic rose coloured thinking of the past.

It’s time consuming and as the world other than the US and two tiny countries are metric we need to move on. It’s an example of our years and years of useless government that pander to populism rather than telling people as it is.

We buy litres of milk in supermarkets and are starting to think of milk in litres not pints. If a pint wasn’t taught we wouldn’t even mention it in the future.

I also think this is a non news event aimed at distraction. But I’m cynical and Boris would never do such a thing."

Imperial measurements and sizes go hand in hand with metric within the engineering world, metric is excellent for converting volumes with weight and area

1 ltr of water is 1 kilo and can fit in a container measuring 100mm by 100mm by 100mm. fantastique

By *ebbie69Couple
over a year ago

milton keynes

How do they sell wine??

I also think this is a non news event aimed at distraction. But I’m cynical and Boris would never do such a thing."

I think it will carry on for the foreseeable regardless. Looking at other posts it seems it was not taught in schools for many years yet as the examples show it is widely used. I just checked my milk and it has both pints and litres on it. I think of milk in pints myself but we all differ. My son's never learnt imperial but if I ask them the pick up a 4 Pinter of milk they know exactly what to get. Ask them if they want a beer they always ask for a pint. They know how fast they drive in miles per hour but not a clue about kilometres per hour. It seems its ingrained into us and being handed down as its not part of education I do understand your concern about confusion but its nice for people to have a choice

By *ohn8210tCouple
over a year ago

Warwick

I told my son to cut a plank of wood six and a half foot in length. What’s that in metric he asked me?

It’s simple I replied.

It’s 6.5 feet !!!

By *ohn8210tCouple
over a year ago

Warwick

We buy 8 inch Steel beam . It’s not 8’’ now. It’s 203.2 mm. Hmmmmmm?

One inch tube is also not 1 inch- it’s 25.54 !!!! Really.

The tyres on you car are all listed in inches radius!

Plywood sheets used to be 8x4’.

Now they’re not ! Noooo- they’re 2.438m x 1.219m ??

Most of the world works in the imperial system- it was only the EU that said we should adopt a metric system. The actual end products are still the same size as they used to be -are now -and will continue to be in the future. It’s just the method of labelling / measuring that we’re all arguing about !

Well, we’re not hanging about here- we’re off for 2x

Ciders !! All .568261 l of them - cheers!!!

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

" We buy 8 inch Steel beam . It’s not 8’’ now. It’s 203.2 mm. Hmmmmmm?

Most of the world works in the imperial system- it was only the EU that said we should adopt a metric system. The actual end products are still the same size as they used to be -are now -and will continue to be in the future. It’s just the method of labelling / measuring that we’re all arguing about !

"

I agree it’s traditionally ingrained but should be dropped .

And as for who uses metric I think you’ll find very few countries have it as their standard. They are USA , Liberia and Myanmar.

Not a global standard at all really.

We seem to be the few countries unable to let go of the past and use the better system.

Just because we have lots of great history doesn’t mean we have to try and live in it!

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

How does one describe their height- feet and inches !"

And don't forget how much you weigh.

Stones and pounds.

Furlongs are still used in horse racing.

Oh and I still think that grains are used for measuring the powder charge in ammunition.

Even outside the UK some of the old measures still exist. Germans for example quite often use the word pound for half a kilo

Also in the Euro zone many till receipts (and even bank statements) still show the old currency equivalent, even after over 20 years of the Euro. Especially in Spain.

As for pecks, bushels, rods, chains, minims, scruples and drachms. They were hardly (if at all) used in the later days of the imperial system. Some, even at my age, I've never even heard of. I always thought a minim was something in music.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Stones and pounds.

Oh and I still think that grains are used for measuring the powder charge in ammunition.

Even outside the UK some of the old measures still exist. Germans for example quite often use the word pound for half a kilo

Also in the Euro zone many till receipts (and even bank statements) still show the old currency equivalent, even after over 20 years of the Euro. Especially in Spain.

As for pecks, bushels, rods, chains, minims, scruples and drachms. They were hardly (if at all) used in the later days of the imperial system. Some, even at my age, I've never even heard of. I always thought a minim was something in music. "

Chains are a railway measurement. Used in conjunction with miles to accurately locate culverts, bridges etc. Largely defunct now, as most railway infrastructure since the 1970s, is designed in km.

A chain is 22 yards, which is also the length of a cricket pitch

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

chains were used a long time prior to the railways, principally the royal ordnance survey that mapped routes across england in order to haul artillery to use against the scots.

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Stones and pounds.

As for pecks, bushels, rods, chains, minims, scruples and drachms. They were hardly (if at all) used in the later days of the imperial system. Some, even at my age, I've never even heard of. I always thought a minim was something in music.

Chains are a railway measurement. Used in conjunction with miles to accurately locate culverts, bridges etc. Largely defunct now, as most railway infrastructure since the 1970s, is designed in km.

A chain is 22 yards, which is also the length of a cricket pitch "

Yes I vaguely remember chains, even pecks and bushels. But I thought that scruples were something that not many people have these days and drachms were badly spelled old Greek money.

over a year ago

How do they sell wine??

So you would be for changing every piece of signage in the UK the be in KM instead of miles? Now that would be time consuming let alone the cost

over a year ago

Stones and pounds.

As for pecks, bushels, rods, chains, minims, scruples and drachms. They were hardly (if at all) used in the later days of the imperial system. Some, even at my age, I've never even heard of. I always thought a minim was something in music. "

Yes grains are used for powder measurements. Imperial and metric is used for calibres aswell. for example 308. is 7.61x51mm 223. = 5.56x45mm.

By *eanoCoolMan
over a year ago

wisbech

" We buy 8 inch Steel beam . It’s not 8’’ now. It’s 203.2 mm. Hmmmmmm?

I agree it’s traditionally ingrained but should be dropped .

And as for who uses metric I think you’ll find very few countries have it as their standard. They are USA , Liberia and Myanmar.

Not a global standard at all really.

We seem to be the few countries unable to let go of the past and use the better system.

Just because we have lots of great history doesn’t mean we have to try and live in it!

"

It is still used heavily in the engineering world as me and a couple of others have posted, I have worked in my profession for 30 yrs and there is not a single day in my job where I dont use it, and regardless of what bj does or not that will still be the case.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's not needed and is ridiculous to give it a fanfare of importance.

It will lead to price rises, when retailers switch, I am fairly certain, similarly to places in the continent, when they switched to Euros. It makes an easy cover for underhand practices.

As it stands, pack sizes are odd weights, so the unit is just important for price validation

over a year ago

Anything that requires scaling generally works better with metric.

If you are measuring something as a one off then it doesn't really matter.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"It's not needed and is ridiculous to give it a fanfare of importance.

It will lead to price rises, when retailers switch, I am fairly certain, similarly to places in the continent, when they switched to Euros. It makes an easy cover for underhand practices.

As it stands, pack sizes are odd weights, so the unit is just important for price validation "

I dont think they are advocating that retailers switch (and i doubt they will) just that it will be possible again to use imperial if people want to.I cant see anything wrong with choice.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

I just looked around my kitchen and found three measuring jugs all have two units of measure on - I bought two of those only 6 months ago after a kitchen refit. Who actually really cares if both are used - just as long as you know how to use both well.

And the notion that there are flag waving Brits in Union Flag T-shirts crying from the rooftops 'save our pints' well that is just plain old silly.

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

And the problem is??? I was taught both at school, served in submarines that used imperial and later subs that used metric. Now in engineering I swap between both systems without issue. Imperial, metric what, ever once you understand the basics of both it could even be called elephants, those that have issues seem to be those that try and convert back and forth.

over a year ago

It's no big deal, storm in a teacup

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

" those that have issues seem to be those that try and convert back and forth. "

And that's the plain truth of it.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

it's a strategy to obfuscate super inflation. nothing more nothing less. the real question is, are the tory government idiotic enough to actually deploy that strategy?

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

So how precisely does it obfuscate inflation - which is happening all over Europe right at this moment?

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

doubtless having 240 pence to the pound again will mess with those who have only lived in a metric system.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"doubtless having 240 pence to the pound again will mess with those who have only lived in a metric system."

Didn't answer the question however?

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Just found out the company that makes yardsticks won’t be producing them any longer………………

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

i would quite honestly think that if the tory government were that idiotic and attempted to forcefully impose imperialisation on the population then the vast majority of people would just ignore them and carry on using metric anyway.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"Just found out the company that makes yardsticks won’t be producing them any longer………………"

Maybe they have gone into special measures. But here is a thing - nobody makes left-handed rulers!

Missed opportunities?

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"i would quite honestly think that if the tory government were that idiotic and attempted to forcefully impose imperialisation on the population then the vast majority of people would just ignore them and carry on using metric anyway. "

But they are not.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

How do they sell wine??

I also think this is a non news event aimed at distraction. But I’m cynical and Boris would never do such a thing.

So you would be for changing every piece of signage in the UK the be in KM instead of miles? Now that would be time consuming let alone the cost

"

Next time you travel have a count of how much street furniture there is . The km element of the signs would be small part of a much larger waste of money. I include way to much furniture in that waste comment. ( another debate for another time)

Thinking it through it would be a paint job on most and yes it would end up with part of km on many as they obviously don’t match the mileage but when was the last time you checked the accuracy of a distance sign? On motorways it’s whole miles and no way is every one of those accurate to the whole mile.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

Or . . . just have a look at the instrument panel on your speedometer and tell us how many kilometres you have travelled this week or at what KPH. We all use both systems in many ways and will carry on doing so.

The debate was about easing the use of the metric system if it suited shops/business's - nowhere does it say it will be changed and be enforced from metric to imperial.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Or . . . just have a look at the instrument panel on your speedometer and tell us how many kilometres you have travelled this week or at what KPH. We all use both systems in many ways and will carry on doing so.

The debate was about easing the use of the metric system if it suited shops/business's - nowhere does it say it will be changed and be enforced from metric to imperial.

"

Exactly this but as usual a few people trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"Or . . . just have a look at the instrument panel on your speedometer and tell us how many kilometres you have travelled this week or at what KPH. We all use both systems in many ways and will carry on doing so.

Exactly this but as usual a few people trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. "

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Exactly this but as usual a few people trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. "

Exactly so why is can it being announced as there’s no way we’re going that far backwards surely?? Distraction as per earlier comment. GM crops regulation suspected of being relaxed quietly though. They are not banned in EU but regulated . What’s wrong with that?

Do we want to risk breeding children with six fingers ?? Then again maybe a Brexit benefit is the youth of tomorrow could have a better grip on things!

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

Hardly a news item to eclipse all other news items, is it?

Every time something is announced it's obviously a ploy to eclipse other more important news!

Last week it was Gove Dancing in a Disco! Oh! The drama of it all.

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"doubtless having 240 pence to the pound again will mess with those who have only lived in a metric system."

Let's re-introduce the Guinea.

That'll fox 'em.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"doubtless having 240 pence to the pound again will mess with those who have only lived in a metric system.

That'll fox 'em. "

Just teach children the 12x tables!

God knows how they would cope with slide rules and log tables.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"doubtless having 240 pence to the pound again will mess with those who have only lived in a metric system.

That'll fox 'em. "

Racehorses are still sold in Guinea's.

By *anky_PankyWoman
over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

My business still produces parts to imperial measurements as not all of our customers use metric, the USA being the prime example, so we have to be able to understand and work in both imperial and metric measurement. I remember being taught the basics at school in the 80,s and then more intensively when I did my apprenticeship. Personally I cant see no harm in learning to use both even if you do not need to use them on a daily basis like myself. "

Yes but the USA also have DIFFERENT imperial measurements on some things!!

A UK pint is more than a US pint, as is a UK ton heavier than a US ton!

By *uninlondon69Man
over a year ago

Tower Bridge South

It's purely been done to distract the attention of lower income flag shaggers while he takes away £1000pa in UC and increases their NI by 10%.

By *eanoCoolMan
over a year ago

wisbech

Yes but the USA also have DIFFERENT imperial measurements on some things!!

A UK pint is more than a US pint, as is a UK ton heavier than a US ton! "

I know that!!, and if you read posts further up you will see it was discussed that there are differences!!.

By *esty 2021Man
over a year ago

Rockford IL

Don’t be calling measurements in the US as Imperial they are definitely not. They do not use the Imperial system they use the United States Customary (USC) measurement system. Similar but definitely not the same. I think they denounced Imperialism in 1776.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"It's purely been done to distract the attention of lower income flag shaggers while he takes away £1000pa in UC and increases their NI by 10%. "

If that's the aim of it then it's not doing a very good job as even I have seen both the NI and UC stories regularly

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"It's purely been done to distract the attention of lower income flag shaggers while he takes away £1000pa in UC and increases their NI by 10%.

If that's the aim of it then it's not doing a very good job as even I have seen both the NI and UC stories regularly"

Me too.

over a year ago

Tory smoke and mirrors, all they are doing is distracting the sheep with this so they can pull simething else while no one is watching.

Even thought we've been decimal since the 1970s the Imperial system is still used daily. We drive in miles, drink pints, convert weight because being 14 stone makes more sense than 88.9kg.

It's a classic political slight of hand. A basic magicians trick, we all look at the right hand holding the cards but miss the left hand palming some cards for use in the next trick.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop after last week's cabinet reshuffle, every one was so focused on the comings and goings there must have been something else they intended to bury.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

What about half a yard "

I cant see 'Yardies' wanting to be known as 915mmies

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"

What about half a yard

I cant see 'Yardies' wanting to be known as 915mmies"

lol

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

By the Jeroboam.

Post new Message to Thread