Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Sadiq Khan sets out plans to help house Afghan refugees in London

Jump to newest

By *angbangFantasy OP   Woman
over a year ago

London

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/sadiq-khan-mayor-plans-help-afghan-refugees-london-b952414.html

What are your thoughts on this?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/sadiq-khan-mayor-plans-help-afghan-refugees-london-b952414.html

What are your thoughts on this? "

Well the ever increasing population will eventually reach a crisis point wh3n there's literally nowhere to build.

In the short term, there's empty industrial buildings that can be converted quickly with less financial and environmental impact.

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

He cant even house people already in london and not doinga great job for peeps already living there,so cant see him doing anything for afghan refugees either.lots of hot air and thats about it,would be good to know if there gona be spread equally around the u.k or majority gona end up in south east as usually happens

over a year ago

"He cant even house people already in london and not doinga great job for peeps already living there,so cant see him doing anything for afghan refugees either.lots of hot air and thats about it,would be good to know if there gona be spread equally around the u.k or majority gona end up in south east as usually happens"

Well yes, I heard a woman on the radio talking about the social housing shortage in Manchester and the exact same problem as London

over a year ago

There is a house shortage everywhere already so God knows how we are going to house them can't see any good coming from this other than more split society.especially around where I live if they get a house before locals trouble will start im afraid.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS
over a year ago

Notts

scotland and wales are virtually empty

over a year ago

"scotland and wales are virtually empty"

Oy! Behave!..

By *lirty-CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bexley

Khan ought to have spent the last five years dealing effectively with the existing homeless in London. They'll be be even further down the priority list if/when this happens.

over a year ago

Nicola sturgeon wants as many as possible to come to Scotland but the will need a sweetener first, as its to cold for them what with winter approaching and they like football

over a year ago

Notts

"scotland and wales are virtually empty

Oy! Behave!.. "

mind you they cant work for the welsh gov unless they learn some welsh as well as english..... umm... could be a great place for ex interpreters?

over a year ago

Notts

"Nicola sturgeon wants as many as possible to come to Scotland but the will need a sweetener first, as its to cold for them what with winter approaching and they like football"

brilliant but i dont think the afghans can pay her, i dont think theyve paid boris either lol where abouts does she live?

over a year ago

Notts

name a scotish island afghanistan and really piss off the taliban by starting a whole new country there

over a year ago

"Nicola sturgeon wants as many as possible to come to Scotland but the will need a sweetener first, as its to cold for them what with winter approaching and they like football"

They also like rugby and cricket and people who play the bagpipes very well so poor old Scotland has no chance.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/sadiq-khan-mayor-plans-help-afghan-refugees-london-b952414.html

What are your thoughts on this? "

so he should I bet it’s not Chelsea or Kensington tho ?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

why put them in london probably the most expensive place to live in the uk?

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

As much as I think it's right and proper to provide refuge and decent housing to Afghan refugees the buy back scheme maybe isn't the best way to do it, simply because family sized homes in London are at a premium (£500k and rising for a 3 bed terrace) and this could result in demand pushing up price which in turn continues to price out regular people.

I am not sure that central government should be placing the onus on local councils as many are already stretched financially and are already lacking in suitable accommodation for their existing waiting lists.

I feel the solution is more in the government purchasing and adapting existing empty buildings (plenty in and around high streets) for use as residential multi occupancy.

over a year ago

Notts

"As much as I think it's right and proper to provide refuge and decent housing to Afghan refugees the buy back scheme maybe isn't the best way to do it, simply because family sized homes in London are at a premium (£500k and rising for a 3 bed terrace) and this could result in demand pushing up price which in turn continues to price out regular people.

I am not sure that central government should be placing the onus on local councils as many are already stretched financially and are already lacking in suitable accommodation for their existing waiting lists.

I feel the solution is more in the government purchasing and adapting existing empty buildings (plenty in and around high streets) for use as residential multi occupancy."

Mobile homes, plenty of people live in them.....?

over a year ago

"As much as I think it's right and proper to provide refuge and decent housing to Afghan refugees the buy back scheme maybe isn't the best way to do it, simply because family sized homes in London are at a premium (£500k and rising for a 3 bed terrace) and this could result in demand pushing up price which in turn continues to price out regular people.

I feel the solution is more in the government purchasing and adapting existing empty buildings (plenty in and around high streets) for use as residential multi occupancy."

Average afghan family is 7 or 8 so goung to be awkward

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

I feel the solution is more in the government purchasing and adapting existing empty buildings (plenty in and around high streets) for use as residential multi occupancy.

Average afghan family is 7 or 8 so goung to be awkward "

Sort of what I meant. It may be easier, more cost effective to build/adapt exisiting commercial premises than buy housing stock from the market.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Prefabs loads of brits lived in those after the war.

over a year ago

Notts

"Prefabs loads of brits lived in those after the war."

exactly, what we dont need is loads of housing that gets left empty in a couple of decades when people relocate. The taliban might make afghanistan wonderful, i doubt it but they might and many choose to return? pre fabs it is... in wales and scotland, they have more spare grass! Like a new milton keynes but with less round abouts

By *aribbean King 1985Man
8 weeks ago

South West London

Chuck the Khan out come May 2nd

By *lockMan
8 weeks ago

helston

The Afghan refugees deserve our help as a reward for helping to protect our troops over there.

Post new Message to Thread