Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

That UK 'confidence' effect . . .

Jump to newest

By *atEvolution OP   Couple
over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"HSBC's profits have surged by a better than expected 79% to $5.8bn (£4.2bn) in the first quarter, *****largely thanks to an improved economic outlook in the UK******.

The upturn allowed the banking giant to release $435m (£313m) that had been set aside to cover bad debt, boosting its bottom line despite a squeeze on revenues caused by low interest rates.

HSBC had put aside a total of $8.8bn (£6.3bn) over the course of last year, including just over $3bn (£2.2bn) in the first quarter, as the pandemic took hold of the global economy."

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

The bank said that the reduction in expected credit losses (ECL) at the start of this year was "due to an improvement in the forward economic outlook, mainly in the UK".

It also saw a $3.9bn (£2.8bn) increase in mortgage lending across the group, including $2bn (£1.4bn) in the UK. The group's HSBC UK arm enjoyed a profit of $1bn (£700m) during the period.

"We are more optimistic than we were back in February, we expect GDP to rebound in every economy in which we operate this year," chief executive Noel Quinn told Reuters.

over a year ago

Shameless bump . . . just like the economy . . . going up ^

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Good news

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

Posting random “good news” stories is akin to the Nazi’s celebrating their success in the Battle of the Bulge.

There will be good news stories and there will be bad news stories, what is important is the general direction of travel and how it affects ordinary people.

You and I have more in common with fishermen and part-time drop shippers than we do with bankers. The banks and the Stock Market would likely post great results in a society where the public has declining wealth and freedoms. Big business and the welfare of ordinary people are not interlinked.

My personal belief is that Brexit will negatively impact ordinary people in any kind of future timeline that I have left in this world. Currently it is the cause of great division in our society, it is threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom, small and medium sized exporters in the food and drinks business are badly affected, the fishing industry is negatively affected. Add to that the current situation with 90/180 for ordinary people who worked hard to be able to afford a place in the sun for winter - they too are now compromised. European property ownership will of course still happen - but the demographic level at which people can do that has been pushed up a notch or two.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/04/21 09:59:43]

over a year ago

"HSBC's profits have surged by a better than expected 79% to $5.8bn (£4.2bn) in the first quarter,

*****largely thanks to an improved economic outlook in the UK******.

The upturn allowed the banking giant to release $435m (£313m) that had been set aside to cover bad debt, boosting its bottom line despite a squeeze on revenues caused by low interest rates.

HSBC had put aside a total of $8.8bn (£6.3bn) over the course of last year, including just over $3bn (£2.2bn) in the first quarter, as the pandemic took hold of the global economy."

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/04/21 10:03:53]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Posting random “good news” stories is akin to the Nazi’s celebrating their success in the Battle of the Bulge.

There will be good news stories and there will be bad news stories, what is important is the general direction of travel and how it affects ordinary people.

You and I have more in common with fishermen and part-time drop shippers than we do with bankers. The banks and the Stock Market would likely post great results in a society where the public has declining wealth and freedoms. Big business and the welfare of ordinary people are not interlinked.

My personal belief is that Brexit will negatively impact ordinary people in any kind of future timeline that I have left in this world. Currently it is the cause of great division in our society, it is threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom, small and medium sized exporters in the food and drinks business are badly affected, the fishing industry is negatively affected. Add to that the current situation with 90/180 for ordinary people who worked hard to be able to afford a place in the sun for winter - they too are now compromised. European property ownership will of course still happen - but the demographic level at which people can do that has been pushed up a notch or two."

over a year ago

"Posting random “good news” stories is akin to the Nazi’s celebrating their success in the Battle of the Bulge.

My personal belief is that Brexit will negatively impact ordinary people in any kind of future timeline that I have left in this world. Currently it is the cause of great division in our society, it is threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom, small and medium sized exporters in the food and drinks business are badly affected, the fishing industry is negatively affected. Add to that the current situation with 90/180 for ordinary people who worked hard to be able to afford a place in the sun for winter - they too are now compromised. European property ownership will of course still happen - but the demographic level at which people can do that has been pushed up a notch or two."

Nazi's huh?

Well if you can't see that the direction of travel for UK citizens with £1.4 billion in mortgage loans for them isn't 'up' then I really fail to see what is. And if that doesn't show a direction of travel then what does.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

""HSBC's profits have surged by a better than expected 79% to $5.8bn (£4.2bn) in the first quarter, *****largely thanks to an improved economic outlook in the UK******.

HSBC had put aside a total of $8.8bn (£6.3bn) over the course of last year, including just over $3bn (£2.2bn) in the first quarter, as the pandemic took hold of the global economy.""

China will be happy..

over a year ago

""HSBC's profits have surged by a better than expected 79% to $5.8bn (£4.2bn) in the first quarter, *****largely thanks to an improved economic outlook in the UK******.

China will be happy.."

More meat on the sentence?

My Cat is happy, but ?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

China will be happy..

My Cat is happy, but ?"

They own in excess of 15%..?

over a year ago

China will be happy..

My Cat is happy, but ?

They own in excess of 15%..?"

Cool. So lots of others will be too. Not least of which HSBC and the UK economy and all those folks who managed to buy a new home because they gave them a mortgage.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

You are now linking good news stories to nazi propaganda? unbelievable.

Mate some of us on here like to hear good news i know that doesn't seem to apply to some such as yourself but ffs nazi propaganda ? My personal belief is the country will be much stronger in the future for leaving the eu.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

a cause of great division in our society? Do you think your post yesterday calling leavers traitors helps in anyway then ?

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Good news for the bank . They have not lost the Covid accrual which is positive.

After years without they paid a dividend of 19p with the money not being lost.

All the banks have a boost on mortgage lending due to stamp duty savings rush. ( we need house prices to stay high) Rishi knows this.

What they left out of the interim report was they are still moving their investments and ultimately head office to the Far East away from the uk due to better growth and returns.

They also didn’t mention the bit where they have under instruction from China closed the accounts of any pro democracy activists.

Not very nice people in reality!

over a year ago

Are you writing this on your cobalt filled telephone laptop or tablet that is mined by 7 years olds in the Congo?

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Are you writing this on your cobalt filled telephone laptop or tablet that is mined by 7 years olds in the Congo?"

Yes guilty as charged ! However I hand over more money to charities tasked with fighting child poverty and exploitation so I support those trying to end the kids nightmare.

Tesla and Google have been sued by charities for using material mined in unethical ways.

Glencore the U.K. Swiss mines are largely responsible along with the DRG government.

This from WIKI

A 2010 US law required American companies to disclose the source for conflict minerals: tin, tantalum, tungsten and gold. Amnesty International are now advocating for cobalt to be added to this list, to ensure transparency amongst tech giants and traceability of the supply chain. These initiatives are already taking place with major mining companies, Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining companies (ASM). Car manufacturers and battery manufacturer supply chains Tesla, VW, BMW, BASF, Glencore are participating in several initiatives, such as the Responsible Cobalt Initiative and Cobalt for Development study. In 2018 BMW Group in partnership with BASF, Samsung SDI and Samsung Electronics have launched a pilot project in the DRC over one pilot mine, to improve conditions and address challenges for artisanal miners and the surrounding communities. BMW’s involvement in these projects suggests they may need to source additional supply of cobalt from DRC mines in future, having a long-term strategic approach to sustainability in this region.

So the giant corporations have been outed and will now be very aware of being dragged into child Labour accusations.

It’s still shit today but the move is to get better I believe.

Anyway back to HSBC fighting democracy!!

over a year ago

"Are you writing this on your cobalt filled telephone laptop or tablet that is mined by 7 years olds in the Congo?"

"Yes guilty as charged ! However I hand over more money to charities tasked with fighting child poverty and exploitation so I support those trying to end the kids nightmare. "

Nothing like a conscience easing charity donation to help along self-serving politics.

over a year ago

"HSBC's profits have surged by a better than expected 79% to $5.8bn (£4.2bn) in the first quarter, *****largely thanks to an improved economic outlook in the UK******.

The bank said that the reduction in expected credit losses (ECL) at the start of this year was "due to an improvement in the forward economic outlook, mainly in the UK".

It also saw a $3.9bn (£2.8bn) increase in mortgage lending across the group, including $2bn (£1.4bn) in the UK. The group's HSBC UK arm enjoyed a profit of $1bn (£700m) during the period.

"We are more optimistic than we were back in February, we expect GDP to rebound in every economy in which we operate this year," chief executive Noel Quinn told Reuters.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

How’s the lazer cutter stuff coming on Op?

over a year ago

"How’s the lazer cutter stuff coming on Op? "

Brilliant, thank you. Already sourcing a CNC router to add to the fold. But what a Laser won't do, isn't really worth knowing lol. It's been quite a ride. A nice one too.

I'll get my arse on a pic with it in the frame and show you later this week.

We are in accounting end of year this month, so my accountant is stopping me producing. I would much rather be designing and programming than calculating and excel sheeting !!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"How’s the lazer cutter stuff coming on Op?

Brilliant, thank you. Already sourcing a CNC router to add to the fold. But what a Laser won't do, isn't really worth knowing lol. It's been quite a ride. A nice one too.

We are in accounting end of year this month, so my accountant is stopping me producing. I would much rather be designing and programming than calculating and excel sheeting !!

"

Really chuffed for you. Been a tough year so good to see.

over a year ago

"How’s the lazer cutter stuff coming on Op?

Really chuffed for you. Been a tough year so good to see. "

TY. Keep the faith.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

My personal belief is that Brexit will negatively impact ordinary people in any kind of future timeline that I have left in this world. Currently it is the cause of great division in our society, it is threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom, small and medium sized exporters in the food and drinks business are badly affected, the fishing industry is negatively affected. Add to that the current situation with 90/180 for ordinary people who worked hard to be able to afford a place in the sun for winter - they too are now compromised. European property ownership will of course still happen - but the demographic level at which people can do that has been pushed up a notch or two. a cause of great division in our society? Do you think your post yesterday calling leavers traitors helps in anyway then ?"

When they finally see themselves for what they are - the country may be able to heal.

But as long as Leavers perpetuate the desire to wreak economic harm and social division on the country and its people then they need to be called out for what they are.

It surprises me that you can’t see that wilfully wishing damage to the U.K. economy by tearing it away from its closest and best trading partners is not seditious (at best). Not a single Remainer has campaigned for, or wishes for anything other than the U.K. to protect its status, its economy and the rights of its people.

over a year ago

Meanwhile, back in the real world the economy is on the up.

By *andy 1Couple
over a year ago

northeast

My personal belief is that Brexit will negatively impact ordinary people in any kind of future timeline that I have left in this world. Currently it is the cause of great division in our society, it is threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom, small and medium sized exporters in the food and drinks business are badly affected, the fishing industry is negatively affected. Add to that the current situation with 90/180 for ordinary people who worked hard to be able to afford a place in the sun for winter - they too are now compromised. European property ownership will of course still happen - but the demographic level at which people can do that has been pushed up a notch or two.You are now linking good news stories to nazi propaganda? unbelievable.

Mate some of us on here like to hear good news i know that doesn't seem to apply to some such as yourself but ffs nazi propaganda ? My personal belief is the country will be much stronger in the future for leaving the eu."

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My personal belief is that Brexit will negatively impact ordinary people in any kind of future timeline that I have left in this world. Currently it is the cause of great division in our society, it is threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom, small and medium sized exporters in the food and drinks business are badly affected, the fishing industry is negatively affected. Add to that the current situation with 90/180 for ordinary people who worked hard to be able to afford a place in the sun for winter - they too are now compromised. European property ownership will of course still happen - but the demographic level at which people can do that has been pushed up a notch or two.You are now linking good news stories to nazi propaganda? unbelievable.

Mate some of us on here like to hear good news i know that doesn't seem to apply to some such as yourself but ffs nazi propaganda ? My personal belief is the country will be much stronger in the future for leaving the eu. "

Only 3 thumbs

over a year ago

HSBC's profits have surged by a better than expected 79% to $5.8bn (£4.2bn) in the first quarter,

*****largely thanks to an improved economic outlook in the UK******.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

My personal belief is that Brexit will negatively impact ordinary people in any kind of future timeline that I have left in this world. Currently it is the cause of great division in our society, it is threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom, small and medium sized exporters in the food and drinks business are badly affected, the fishing industry is negatively affected. Add to that the current situation with 90/180 for ordinary people who worked hard to be able to afford a place in the sun for winter - they too are now compromised. European property ownership will of course still happen - but the demographic level at which people can do that has been pushed up a notch or two. a cause of great division in our society? Do you think your post yesterday calling leavers traitors helps in anyway then ?

When they finally see themselves for what they are - the country may be able to heal.

But as long as Leavers perpetuate the desire to wreak economic harm and social division on the country and its people then they need to be called out for what they are.

It surprises me that you can’t see that wilfully wishing damage to the U.K. economy by tearing it away from its closest and best trading partners is not seditious (at best). Not a single Remainer has campaigned for, or wishes for anything other than the U.K. to protect its status, its economy and the rights of its people."

Im sure we can do much better if our best partner is a block you have to pay into and we had a trade deficit of £79 billion and to boot exports to it have been shrinking for years.

By *loughing the landMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

HSBC had put aside a total of $8.8bn (£6.3bn) over the course of last year, including just over $3bn (£2.2bn) in the first quarter, as the pandemic took hold of the global economy.""

Great news and lots of winners with this. The share price is up 4.2 % today. This is exactly the type of new anyone with a pension fund wants to hear and do charities who hold shares in HSBC. In addition it must be very satisfying for any employee of HSBC to see their hard work translate into results . The banks were prudent in times of crisis to set aside sufficient amounts to cover bad debts . Hopefully most of these provisions can now be released and these good results will have a knock on effect on the banks in general. They are long overdue some good results .

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

My personal belief is that Brexit will negatively impact ordinary people in any kind of future timeline that I have left in this world. Currently it is the cause of great division in our society, it is threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom, small and medium sized exporters in the food and drinks business are badly affected, the fishing industry is negatively affected. Add to that the current situation with 90/180 for ordinary people who worked hard to be able to afford a place in the sun for winter - they too are now compromised. European property ownership will of course still happen - but the demographic level at which people can do that has been pushed up a notch or two. a cause of great division in our society? Do you think your post yesterday calling leavers traitors helps in anyway then ?

It surprises me that you can’t see that wilfully wishing damage to the U.K. economy by tearing it away from its closest and best trading partners is not seditious (at best). Not a single Remainer has campaigned for, or wishes for anything other than the U.K. to protect its status, its economy and the rights of its people.Im sure we can do much better if our best partner is a block you have to pay into and we had a trade deficit of £79 billion and to boot exports to it have been shrinking for years."

Classic one dimensional thought process to make a false equivalence argument.

If you don’t like deficits - what do you think about the Australia deal? Worth about £900 million in exports from the U.K. and £4.2 billion from Australia. That seems like a very asymmetrical deal to me.

By *ebbie69Couple
over a year ago

milton keynes

"Meanwhile, back in the real world the economy is on the up. "

Indeed it is great news upon great news

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

It surprises me that you can’t see that wilfully wishing damage to the U.K. economy by tearing it away from its closest and best trading partners is not seditious (at best). Not a single Remainer has campaigned for, or wishes for anything other than the U.K. to protect its status, its economy and the rights of its people."

well please tell us what are they don’t hold back lol

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

It surprises me that you can’t see that wilfully wishing damage to the U.K. economy by tearing it away from its closest and best trading partners is not seditious (at best). Not a single Remainer has campaigned for, or wishes for anything other than the U.K. to protect its status, its economy and the rights of its people.Im sure we can do much better if our best partner is a block you have to pay into and we had a trade deficit of £79 billion and to boot exports to it have been shrinking for years.

If you don’t like deficits - what do you think about the Australia deal? Worth about £900 million in exports from the U.K. and £4.2 billion from Australia. That seems like a very asymmetrical deal to me."

These are the old figures you are quoting while in the eu. and as i have said before just a stepping stone to the trans pacific trade partnership.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

It surprises me that you can’t see that wilfully wishing damage to the U.K. economy by tearing it away from its closest and best trading partners is not seditious (at best). Not a single Remainer has campaigned for, or wishes for anything other than the U.K. to protect its status, its economy and the rights of its people.Im sure we can do much better if our best partner is a block you have to pay into and we had a trade deficit of £79 billion and to boot exports to it have been shrinking for years.

If you don’t like deficits - what do you think about the Australia deal? Worth about £900 million in exports from the U.K. and £4.2 billion from Australia. That seems like a very asymmetrical deal to me.These are the old figures you are quoting while in the eu. and as i have said before just a stepping stone to the trans pacific trade partnership."

You really and honestly believe that a trade deal with people who are quite literally on the other side of the planet in place of the deal that we already had with our nearest neighbours is a win??? I mean that is just staggering. Where does that stand with our commitments to reduce greenhouse gases?

Notwithstanding, It is probably likely that the EU (and us) would have had a far for symmetrical deal with the TTP and the U.K. could ever hope to negotiate on its own. If the one sided deal that favours Just Australia is anything to go by, I can’t wait to see how big a deficit the mighty Liz Truss is planning to give-away to an entire trading bloc.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

If you don’t like deficits - what do you think about the Australia deal? Worth about £900 million in exports from the U.K. and £4.2 billion from Australia. That seems like a very asymmetrical deal to me.These are the old figures you are quoting while in the eu. and as i have said before just a stepping stone to the trans pacific trade partnership.

You really and honestly believe that a trade deal with people who are quite literally on the other side of the planet in place of the deal that we already had with our nearest neighbours is a win??? I mean that is just staggering. Where does that stand with our commitments to reduce greenhouse gases?

Notwithstanding, It is probably likely that the EU (and us) would have had a far for symmetrical deal with the TTP and the U.K. could ever hope to negotiate on its own. If the one sided deal that favours Just Australia is anything to go by, I can’t wait to see how big a deficit the mighty Liz Truss is planning to give-away to an entire trading bloc."

Nothing wrong with trading with the eu but unfortunately the eu doesn't want to just trade it wants to rule, no other trading blocks in the world need a full time commission, court or parliament. As someone said earlier once in the eu you are no longer referred to as a country but a state of the eu .As for our nearest neighbours how much are they buying from the likes of china and looking to cement a deal with them so don't play the greenhouse gasses card as they dont seem that bothered about it.

By *renzMan
over a year ago

Between Chichester and Havant

If you don’t like deficits - what do you think about the Australia deal? Worth about £900 million in exports from the U.K. and £4.2 billion from Australia. That seems like a very asymmetrical deal to me.These are the old figures you are quoting while in the eu. and as i have said before just a stepping stone to the trans pacific trade partnership.

Notwithstanding, It is probably likely that the EU (and us) would have had a far for symmetrical deal with the TTP and the U.K. could ever hope to negotiate on its own. If the one sided deal that favours Just Australia is anything to go by, I can’t wait to see how big a deficit the mighty Liz Truss is planning to give-away to an entire trading bloc. Nothing wrong with trading with the eu but unfortunately the eu doesn't want to just trade it wants to rule, no other trading blocks in the world need a full time commission, court or parliament. As someone said earlier once in the eu you are no longer referred to as a country but a state of the eu .As for our nearest neighbours how much are they buying from the likes of china and looking to cement a deal with them so don't play the greenhouse gasses card as they dont seem that bothered about it. "

Hence Brexit!

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Notwithstanding, It is probably likely that the EU (and us) would have had a far for symmetrical deal with the TTP and the U.K. could ever hope to negotiate on its own. If the one sided deal that favours Just Australia is anything to go by, I can’t wait to see how big a deficit the mighty Liz Truss is planning to give-away to an entire trading bloc."

As others and myself have said the figures on Australia are current figures. The deficit in trade was after 40plus years in the EU. Keep hearing that the UK can't match EU deals yet we keep doing it and now going further

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

""Are you writing this on your cobalt filled telephone laptop or tablet that is mined by 7 years olds in the Congo?"

Yes guilty as charged ! However I hand over more money to charities tasked with fighting child poverty and exploitation so I support those trying to end the kids nightmare.

Nothing like a conscience easing charity donation to help along self-serving politics. "

Doesn’t ease my conscience at all it’s a practical way of trying to help as I need a phone or do you have a better option like no phone or no support for the charity and just be self righteous on a swingers forum. I doubt you have any moral high ground here. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m a very comfortable financially and yet my leanings as I learn more of the corrupt system we have are socialist in a similar vein to Scandinavia. So self serving? I can easily avoid tax with my business but I chose not to. Don’t be so quick to judge.

By *isandhers691127Couple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

HSBC had put aside a total of $8.8bn (£6.3bn) over the course of last year, including just over $3bn (£2.2bn) in the first quarter, as the pandemic took hold of the global economy." Great news and lots of winners with this. The share price is up 4.2 % today. This is exactly the type of new anyone with a pension fund wants to hear and do charities who hold shares in HSBC. In addition it must be very satisfying for any employee of HSBC to see their hard work translate into results . The banks were prudent in times of crisis to set aside sufficient amounts to cover bad debts . Hopefully most of these provisions can now be released and these good results will have a knock on effect on the banks in general. They are long overdue some good results ."

The banks were prudent in time of crisis! lol my god if you belive that you need your head examining.

Post new Message to Thread