Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Fishing rights - a hill to die on?

Jump to newest

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I wonder why an industry worth 0.1% of our economy is such a sticking point in trade negotiations.

So I checked it out

10 years of access the Europeans want, with us only being allowed 18% of the fish in our territorial waters.

The UK wants 60% of the quota in our territorial waters with 5 years access allowed only.

Now you’d think it would be cod or haddock we’d be fighting over but the fish we are mainly fighting over is herring and Mackrel.

How many Brits eat mackerel or herring? Not many.

A pragmatic approach would be meet in the middle

A selfish approach would be just disagree and leave

A weak approach would be agree to the demands and have an agreement.

If we leave without an agreement we will have all this fish, but because of tariffs we won’t be able to sell it to the EU at a competitive rate.

If we get an agreement then we will be able to sell our fish without tariffs but the amount of fish we can sell to make any money will be far less because there is a limit on the amount of fish we can catch.

It’s a bit fucked, what a hill to die on.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

It’s an important hill which definitely has little to do with percentages and quotas.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I wonder why an industry worth 0.1% of our economy is such a sticking point in trade negotiations.

So I checked it out

10 years of access the Europeans want, with us only being allowed 18% of the fish in our territorial waters.

The UK wants 60% of the quota in our territorial waters with 5 years access allowed only.

Now you’d think it would be cod or haddock we’d be fighting over but the fish we are mainly fighting over is herring and Mackrel.

If we leave without an agreement we will have all this fish, but because of tariffs we won’t be able to sell it to the EU at a competitive rate.

If we get an agreement then we will be able to sell our fish without tariffs but the amount of fish we can sell to make any money will be far less because there is a limit on the amount of fish we can catch.

"

I don't think this is just about fishing rights. They have backed themselves into a corner, saying we can have our cake and eat it(didnt boris actually say that once)

Clearly we cant and if cede this ,the brexiteers will not be happy.

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

The eu do not want to meet in the middle they still want the lions share of the fishing rights which is not a level playing field to quite their own words

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Boris johnson..our policy Is to have our cake and eat it

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"It’s an important hill which definitely has little to do with percentages and quotas."

Understandable, but are there any people from a coastal town who can give me a better explanation?

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

"It’s an important hill which definitely has little to do with percentages and quotas.

Understandable, but are there any people from a coastal town who can give me a better explanation? "

I have a property in a former fishing village, and I am a 30 minute drive from a fishing town that still has a fishing community - does that help?

You should have said you only want replies from coastal town members...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"The eu do not want to meet in the middle they still want the lions share of the fishing rights which is not a level playing field to quite their own words "

So you're saying the EU are negotiating from a stronger position, and it would be better if we were part of the EU so we could be on their team. And we wouldn't have to be dealing with this crap?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"The eu do not want to meet in the middle they still want the lions share of the fishing rights which is not a level playing field to quite their own words

So you're saying the EU are negotiating from a stronger position, and it would be better if we were part of the EU so we could be on their team. And we wouldn't have to be dealing with this crap?"

We decided to leave

We told everyone it was a piss easy deal

Boris said it was oven ready

We want to trade with the eu on our terms

And they should meet us half way.

Makes sense.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

[Removed by poster at 18/12/20 13:09:17]

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

What other country in the world has handed over their territorial waters to get a trade deal?, name me just one.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

You do suspect its coming to an endgame soon

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"What other country in the world has handed over their territorial waters to get a trade deal?, name me just one."

So as the questions has been asked a billion times before,

Why did they say it was an easy deal?

Why did bj say it was oven ready?

Why did he say we could have our cake and eat it?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"You do suspect its coming to an endgame soon"
yeah i think so not even macron is that stupid.How is he going to sell it to french fishermen that you could have fished in the new year but your catches will be phased down to sorry you cant fish in uk waters anymore?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"I wonder why an industry worth 0.1% of our economy is such a sticking point in trade negotiations.

So I checked it out

"

wonder how many remainers think the U.K. are out of order for wanting more than 18% in there own waters lol

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"What other country in the world has handed over their territorial waters to get a trade deal?, name me just one.

Why did he say we could have our cake and eat it?"

ive answered it a thousand times too something you seem incapable of doing.

It was the withdrawal agreement.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"It’s an important hill which definitely has little to do with percentages and quotas.

Understandable, but are there any people from a coastal town who can give me a better explanation?

I have a property in a former fishing village, and I am a 30 minute drive from a fishing town that still has a fishing community - does that help?

You should have said you only want replies from coastal town members... "

Is that so? So what is having the ability to fish more have on the UK economy as a whole? I don’t see mackerel and chips being a popular fast food.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"What other country in the world has handed over their territorial waters to get a trade deal?, name me just one.

Why did he say we could have our cake and eat it?"

Wonder if he meant fishcakes..?

over a year ago

"What other country in the world has handed over their territorial waters to get a trade deal?, name me just one."

So what you're saying is that the UK is on a dire situation, and is being bent over and shafted by the EU because we have no other choice?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

So what you're saying is that the UK is on a dire situation, and is being bent over and shafted by the EU because we have no other choice?"

How did you come to that conclusion from what i said?

fancy answering the question?

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

We didn’t though, when you enter our waters it’s still British, I think your confusing sovereignty with access to fish. Pwahhahahahaha!

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

We didn’t though, when you enter our waters it’s still British, I think your confusing sovereignty with access to fish. Pwahhahahahaha!"

I think you are confused having the right to say who fishes and how much they take is having sovereignty.

over a year ago

So what you're saying is that the UK is on a dire situation, and is being bent over and shafted by the EU because we have no other choice? How did you come to that conclusion from what i said?

fancy answering the question?"

I can't name any other country having to give up fishing waters to get a trade deal. I could Google it. But I can't be arsed.

It highlights what a poor lowly situation the UK is in now. I thought that finally you were agreeing how these negotiations aren't a piece of cake and easy, oven ready etc.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

So what you're saying is that the UK is on a dire situation, and is being bent over and shafted by the EU because we have no other choice? How did you come to that conclusion from what i said?

I can't name any other country having to give up fishing waters to get a trade deal. I could Google it. But I can't be arsed.

It highlights what a poor lowly situation the UK is in now. I thought that finally you were agreeing how these negotiations aren't a piece of cake and easy, oven ready etc."

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

It highlights what a poor lowly situation the UK is in now. I thought that finally you were agreeing how these negotiations aren't a piece of cake and easy, oven ready etc."

ok so there not easy as that cheered you up bud

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

We didn’t though, when you enter our waters it’s still British, I think your confusing sovereignty with access to fish. Pwahhahahahaha!I think you are confused having the right to say who fishes and how much they take is having sovereignty. "

Hahahaha, so you want to say who fishes in our waters? Are you going to do that personally? I’ll pay for the rubber dinghy so you can sail on the sea with your flag and bullhorn telling people no fishing. The sea is bigger than you or me? 70% of the world is covered by water, fish come and go as they please, do you think fish care where they swim, they could easily swim out of waters into other waters.

The government are trying to control fish, that is the most preposterous think since king Canute telling the tides not to come in pwahahahahaha!

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

We didn’t though, when you enter our waters it’s still British, I think your confusing sovereignty with access to fish. Pwahhahahahaha!I think you are confused having the right to say who fishes and how much they take is having sovereignty.

Hahahaha, so you want to say who fishes in our waters? Are you going to do that personally? I’ll pay for the rubber dinghy so you can sail on the sea with your flag and bullhorn telling people no fishing. The sea is bigger than you or me? 70% of the world is covered by water, fish come and go as they please, do you think fish care where they swim, they could easily swim out of waters into other waters.

The government are trying to control fish, that is the most preposterous think since king Canute telling the tides not to come in pwahahahahaha!"

Sorry i didnt realize you were that uneducated to understand the governments position.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

We didn’t though, when you enter our waters it’s still British, I think your confusing sovereignty with access to fish. Pwahhahahahaha!I think you are confused having the right to say who fishes and how much they take is having sovereignty.

The government are trying to control fish, that is the most preposterous think since king Canute telling the tides not to come in pwahahahahaha!"

I’ll have a pint of what your on lol

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

The government are trying to control fish, that is the most preposterous think since king Canute telling the tides not to come in pwahahahahaha!I’ll have a pint of what your on lol"

Sure thing after Covid then you choose the club

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

The government are trying to control fish, that is the most preposterous think since king Canute telling the tides not to come in pwahahahahaha!I’ll have a pint of what your on lol

Sure thing after Covid then you choose the club "

clubf lol

By *ust some cock suckerMan
over a year ago

Preston

"

Because Nigel Farage told people to be angry about it and now the people voted to leave because of it Boris has to deliver it no matter the cost

By *ssexbloke72Man
over a year ago

Poplar

Do you actually believe all fish species swin randomly around the waters of our planet.!

over a year ago

None, but we hold all the cards, they need us more than we need them? If this is the case, why haven’t we got a good deal? If we get a bad or ok deal Boris and his Brexit A team have failed

over a year ago

Preston

I can understand it from both sides.

We've decided to leave which cancels agreements that now puts restrictions on the EU for fishing.

The UK want free trade back again with the EU that we've thrown away.

The EU want their access back "post Jan 2021"

The EU at the moment won't accept giving us again what we've just thrown away without them getting back what we've taken away.

Personally I don't give a toss what the outcome is, we'll get what people voted for at the end of the day

over a year ago

We've decided to leave which cancels agreements that now puts restrictions on the EU for fishing.

The EU at the moment won't accept giving us again what we've just thrown away without them getting back what we've taken away.

Personally I don't give a toss what the outcome is, we'll get what people voted for at the end of the day "

Will we?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Personally I don't give a toss what the outcome is, we'll get what people voted for at the end of the day "

Nearly, we are not asking for the same as what we had though but the eu are with fishing, wasnt that one of barniers favourite lines you cant have your cake and eat it? or did that only apply to the uk?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Personally I don't give a toss what the outcome is, we'll get what people voted for at the end of the day Nearly, we are not asking for the same as what we had though but the eu are with fishing, wasnt that one of barniers favourite lines you cant have your cake and eat it? or did that only apply to the uk?"

As I have pointed it

Boris said that.

over a year ago

Preston

Personally I don't give a toss what the outcome is, we'll get what people voted for at the end of the day

Will we? "

Leavers said they knew what they voted for no matter what the topic within the Brexit mess is, so yes, they voted to leave and whatever we get as part of leaving is what they voted for.

Otherwise people will say they didn't know what they voted for, and we all know they don't like that claim

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Personally I don't give a toss what the outcome is, we'll get what people voted for at the end of the day Nearly, we are not asking for the same as what we had though but the eu are with fishing, wasnt that one of barniers favourite lines you cant have your cake and eat it? or did that only apply to the uk?

As I have pointed it

Boris said that."

also remember barnier saying that

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Will we?

Leavers said they knew what they voted for no matter what the topic within the Brexit mess is, so yes, they voted to leave and whatever we get as part of leaving is what they voted for.

Otherwise people will say they didn't know what they voted for, and we all know they don't like that claim "

Ive got what i wanted mate so im happy anyway.

over a year ago

Preston

Nearly, we are not asking for the same as what we had though but the eu are with fishing, wasnt that one of barniers favourite lines you cant have your cake and eat it? or did that only apply to the uk?"

Are we not asking for a free trade agreement like we had before?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Personally I don't give a toss what the outcome is, we'll get what people voted for at the end of the day Nearly, we are not asking for the same as what we had though but the eu are with fishing, wasnt that one of barniers favourite lines you cant have your cake and eat it? or did that only apply to the uk?

As I have pointed it

Boris said that.also remember barnier saying that"

Maybe he was replying to boris

Clearly in a deal like this.. you cant have your cake and eat it.

over a year ago

Preston

"Ive got what i wanted mate so im happy anyway. "

Great then you don't give a fuck either about the fishing.

At least we both agree on that then

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Nearly, we are not asking for the same as what we had though but the eu are with fishing, wasnt that one of barniers favourite lines you cant have your cake and eat it? or did that only apply to the uk?

Are we not asking for a free trade agreement like we had before? "

yep thats all free trade, nothing more than they have agreed with other countries.

By *ethosMan
over a year ago

Dorset

Understandable, but are there any people from a coastal town who can give me a better explanation? "

access to British fishing grounds has always been trump card the UK has held, not because its valuable to British fishing fleets, but because they're very important for the EU fleets. they want access, and whilst their industry is also a minor part of the economy, they have large political clout / lobbying power

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"The eu do not want to meet in the middle they still want the lions share of the fishing rights which is not a level playing field to quite their own words

So you're saying the EU are negotiating from a stronger position, and it would be better if we were part of the EU so we could be on their team. And we wouldn't have to be dealing with this crap?"

No I’m saying they keep in about a level playing field but it seems that the level playing field only works one way.

Out is better

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Its about macrons next election but dont know why because he is going to lose anyway he is so unpopular.The latest polls have him way behind E phillipe

over a year ago

It highlights what a poor lowly situation the UK is in now. I thought that finally you were agreeing how these negotiations aren't a piece of cake and easy, oven ready etc. "

I know. I join you in the humour.

I didn't really think that you would change your opinion based on information.

over a year ago

Will we?

Otherwise people will say they didn't know what they voted for, and we all know they don't like that claim "

True

over a year ago

Are we not asking for a free trade agreement like we had before? yep thats all free trade, nothing more than they have agreed with other countries."

And you honestly expected the UK to get a free trade deal?

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

The government are trying to control fish, that is the most preposterous think since king Canute telling the tides not to come in pwahahahahaha!

Do you actually believe all fish species swin randomly around the waters of our planet.! "

With global warming anything is possible

over a year ago

I live in a fishing town, north east of Scotland. Our town was pretty much crippled by EU quotas, so many boats had to be decommissioned, processing factories closed down. Although it has to be said, prior to this skippers were indeed quite greedy and perhaps fishing the sea dry,! The whole quota thing was a shambles though, fish being caught, already dead but having to be thrown back overboard as they couldn't legally be landed (whole black market for illegal fish landings also sprang up). So not surprisingly, our corner of the UK developed a hatred of the EU and the CFP. And this corner, previously staunch SNP, turned blue on the promise that fishimg would not be betrayed and waters would be taken back. So for those wondering why fishing has become such a serious issue for Boris, it's a major player in the small amount of seats the Tories hold in Scotland. With massive implications for the independence argument (will Westminster betray us, giving ammunition to the independence cause? Will the SNP drag us back into hated EU if they get independence Bla bla). Just my tuppence on the situation up here anyway

over a year ago

I live in a fishing town, north east of Scotland. Our town was pretty much crippled by EU quotas, so many boats had to be decommissioned, processing factories closed down. Although it has to be said, prior to this skippers were indeed quite greedy and perhaps fishing the sea dry,! The whole quota thing was a shambles though, fish being caught, already dead but having to be thrown back overboard as they couldn't legally be landed (whole black market for illegal fish landings also sprang up). So not surprisingly, our corner of the UK developed a hatred of the EU and the CFP. And this corner, previously staunch SNP, turned blue on the promise that fishimg would not be betrayed and waters would be taken back. So for those wondering why fishing has become such a serious issue for Boris, it's a major player in the small amount of seats the Tories hold in Scotland. With massive implications for the independence argument (will Westminster betray us, giving ammunition to the independence cause? Will the SNP drag us back into hated EU if they get independence Bla bla). Just my tuppence on the situation up here anyway "

Interesting. What is the feeling about free access to the EU market being removed?

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"Boris johnson..our policy Is to have our cake and eat it

"

A fish cake?

By *kstallionMan
over a year ago

milton keynes

Did you get an answer to this question?

over a year ago

Did you get an answer to this question?"

No other country has to give up their territorial waters to get a trade deal, are you another leave voter who honestly expected the uk to get a free trade deal ??

over a year ago

No other country has to give up their territorial waters to get a trade deal, are you another leave voter who honestly expected the uk to get a free trade deal ?? "

Why are brexiteers bragging about the UK being in such a dire situation regarding the negotiations?

over a year ago

No other country has to give up their territorial waters to get a trade deal, are you another leave voter who honestly expected the uk to get a free trade deal ??

Why are brexiteers bragging about the UK being in such a dire situation regarding the negotiations?"

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Why are brexiteers bragging about the UK being in such a dire situation regarding the negotiations?

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong "

howay mate holding all the cards yr pulling that out dozens of times a day every day play another song pls lol

over a year ago

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong howay mate holding all the cards yr pulling that out dozens of times a day every day play another song pls lol"

Why? I am only telling the ‘truth’??

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong howay mate holding all the cards yr pulling that out dozens of times a day every day play another song pls lol"

Leave him mate, its obviously something he has in his head someone once said and if you say it enough times others will believe it.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong howay mate holding all the cards yr pulling that out dozens of times a day every day play another song pls lolLeave him mate, its obviously something he has in his head someone once said and if you say it enough times others will believe it. "

I know but every fucking sat same song gets on ya tits it’s as bad as oven ready deal have your cake and eat it won’t be long and the red bus will be along

over a year ago

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong howay mate holding all the cards yr pulling that out dozens of times a day every day play another song pls lolLeave him mate, its obviously something he has in his head someone once said and if you say it enough times others will believe it. I know but every fucking sat same song gets on ya tits it’s as bad as oven ready deal have your cake and eat it won’t be long and the red bus will be along "

Ha, it’s only a bit of banter, we all thought that the leave campaign were lying when they said we ‘held all the cards’ now we know they were lying

over a year ago

Preston

[Removed by poster at 18/12/20 16:24:19]

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Just my thoughts

The fishing waters will be ours regarding sovereignty so that’s a fact .

We can’t catch anymore fish than our quotas today so no jobs will be lost if we keep the status quo, however if our quota is doubled then we have plenty of headroom for growth.

We can award the remaining quotas to the European fisherman for say ten to twenty years with no impact to us other than a better deal with the EU.

Not sure why we’re being so belligerent when we’re not going to actually lose regarding the fishing industry.

A bad deal on the other hand risks tens of thousands of jobs.

Surely Boris isn’t being bullied by his right wing so much on this that he can’t see that it’s not a fight worth the risk as we can’t lose re fish.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong howay mate holding all the cards yr pulling that out dozens of times a day every day play another song pls lolLeave him mate, its obviously something he has in his head someone once said and if you say it enough times others will believe it. I know but every fucking sat same song gets on ya tits it’s as bad as oven ready deal have your cake and eat it won’t be long and the red bus will be along "

You just have to block it out mate i do, they are not on here for a serious conversation just to wind people up ,for some reason they get a perverse pleasure out of it.I suppose if you lost and was constantly reminded of it on the news for the next 4 1/2 years you might be as sad.

over a year ago

"

Interesting. What is the feeling about free access to the EU market being removed?

"

To be honest I'm not sure anyone really thought that far. Or just assumed it would all be "sorted out". Most fish from here goes to Spain, Spain will still need fish. It's France that's kicking off, it's always France. There's a strong sense of France trying to hold us hostage, their fishermen have used techniques in the past like blockading their ports and ramming smaller UK vessels. There's talk of us finding new ports in other countries to use as supply routes so French ports are avoided. No way of knowing yet what will come to pass, it's all going to be a bit messy with licenses and quotas that were previously sold abroad too. I'm not up to a big debate on it all, this is all just stuff I've heard spoken about, and read on sites locally. It's been a contentious issue here for so long, I don't think anyone thought our constituencies would ever turn blue, but here we are, and it's all because of the CFP, promises made lately by the Conservatives and the perceived willingness of the SNP to "sell fishing rights down the river". A key battleground really.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"Just my thoughts

We can’t catch anymore fish than our quotas today so no jobs will be lost if we keep the status quo, however if our quota is doubled then we have plenty of headroom for growth.

We can award the remaining quotas to the European fisherman for say ten to twenty years with no impact to us other than a better deal with the EU.

Not sure why we’re being so belligerent when we’re not going to actually lose regarding the fishing industry.

Surely Boris isn’t being bullied by his right wing so much on this that he can’t see that it’s not a fight worth the risk as we can’t lose re fish.

"

Just my thought but why would the eu be against yearly quotas just as they have with Norway?

over a year ago

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong howay mate holding all the cards yr pulling that out dozens of times a day every day play another song pls lolLeave him mate, its obviously something he has in his head someone once said and if you say it enough times others will believe it. I know but every fucking sat same song gets on ya tits it’s as bad as oven ready deal have your cake and eat it won’t be long and the red bus will be along You just have to block it out mate i do, they are not on here for a serious conversation just to wind people up ,for some reason they get a perverse pleasure out of it.I suppose if you lost and was constantly reminded of it on the news for the next 4 1/2 years you might be as sad. "

Haha, your taking a politics thread on a swinging site far to seriously, lighten up, have a laugh, you won , get on with it

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong howay mate holding all the cards yr pulling that out dozens of times a day every day play another song pls lolLeave him mate, its obviously something he has in his head someone once said and if you say it enough times others will believe it. I know but every fucking sat same song gets on ya tits it’s as bad as oven ready deal have your cake and eat it won’t be long and the red bus will be along

Ha, it’s only a bit of banter, we all thought that the leave campaign were lying when they said we ‘held all the cards’ now we know they were lying "

I know it’s banter bud iv followed yr posts for ages and I know you have better than that in ya locker lol

over a year ago

Nice! You're finally sick of all the brexit lies too?

Just a shame more people didn't come to that realisation prior to the referendum.

over a year ago

"

To be honest I'm not sure anyone really thought that far. Or just assumed it would all be "sorted out". Most fish from here goes to Spain, Spain will still need fish. It's France that's kicking off, it's always France. There's a strong sense of France trying to hold us hostage, their fishermen have used techniques in the past like blockading their ports and ramming smaller UK vessels. There's talk of us finding new ports in other countries to use as supply routes so French ports are avoided. No way of knowing yet what will come to pass, it's all going to be a bit messy with licenses and quotas that were previously sold abroad too. I'm not up to a big debate on it all, this is all just stuff I've heard spoken about, and read on sites locally. It's been a contentious issue here for so long, I don't think anyone thought our constituencies would ever turn blue, but here we are, and it's all because of the CFP, promises made lately by the Conservatives and the perceived willingness of the SNP to "sell fishing rights down the river". A key battleground really. "

Interesting to have this insight.

over a year ago

I have no idea, especially as we ‘hold all the cards’ and ‘they need us more than we need them ‘, what has gone wrong howay mate holding all the cards yr pulling that out dozens of times a day every day play another song pls lolLeave him mate, its obviously something he has in his head someone once said and if you say it enough times others will believe it. I know but every fucking sat same song gets on ya tits it’s as bad as oven ready deal have your cake and eat it won’t be long and the red bus will be along

Ha, it’s only a bit of banter, we all thought that the leave campaign were lying when they said we ‘held all the cards’ now we know they were lying I know it’s banter bud iv followed yr posts for ages and I know you have better than that in ya locker lol"

Plenty in my locker, but if people keep moaning about why the EU won’t let us have the same deal as Canada or a free trade deal I will keep bringing up the ‘we hold all the cards ‘ line

By *ethnmelvCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

Why not cut a deal? With no deal 55% of the English quota is still owned by foreign vessels. Unless the Govt nationalises quota’s (quite unlikely for a Tory Govt) this will not change. This isnot about sovereignty in any way. Nobody is getting bent out of shape for any other aspect of the deal. It is time to be pragmatic.

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"Why not cut a deal? With no deal 55% of the English quota is still owned by foreign vessels. Unless the Govt nationalises quota’s (quite unlikely for a Tory Govt) this will not change. This isnot about sovereignty in any way. Nobody is getting bent out of shape for any other aspect of the deal. It is time to be pragmatic. "

I get the impression that it’s the french who are the main antagonists in this as they still want the same level of access and quotas as before.

50% would be more realistic

over a year ago

"Why not cut a deal? With no deal 55% of the English quota is still owned by foreign vessels. Unless the Govt nationalises quota’s (quite unlikely for a Tory Govt) this will not change. This isnot about sovereignty in any way. Nobody is getting bent out of shape for any other aspect of the deal. It is time to be pragmatic.

I get the impression that it’s the french who are the main antagonists in this as they still want the same level of access and quotas as before.

50% would be more realistic "

Blaming the French.

Good hustle.

We can add that to blaming remainers and the EU.

Basically anyone except the leave campaigns and Boris.

over a year ago

"Why not cut a deal? With no deal 55% of the English quota is still owned by foreign vessels. Unless the Govt nationalises quota’s (quite unlikely for a Tory Govt) this will not change. This isnot about sovereignty in any way. Nobody is getting bent out of shape for any other aspect of the deal. It is time to be pragmatic.

I mean would you be pissed of if you bought something 25 years ago on a permanent basis to be told you didn't own it anymore?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

it is the french it’s always the french our closest neighbours lol

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Blaming the French.

Good hustle.

Basically anyone except the leave campaigns and Boris."

so how much would you give them mate what do you think is fair 90% 80% 70% ?

over a year ago

50% would be more realistic it is the french it’s always the french our closest neighbours lol"

I mean would you be pissed of if you bought something 25 years ago on a permanent basis to be told you didn't own it anymore?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

50% would be more realistic it is the french it’s always the french our closest neighbours lol

I mean would you be pissed of if you bought something 25 years ago on a permanent basis to be told you didn't own it anymore?"

I read that the first time you posted it yes I would just like them brits in tne Valencia land grab don’t you think ?

over a year ago

50% would be more realistic it is the french it’s always the french our closest neighbours lol

I mean would you be pissed of if you bought something 25 years ago on a permanent basis to be told you didn't own it anymore? I read that the first time you posted it yes I would just like them brits in tne Valencia land grab don’t you think ?"

Can you actually answer a question?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

I mean would you be pissed of if you bought something 25 years ago on a permanent basis to be told you didn't own it anymore? I read that the first time you posted it yes I would just like them brits in tne Valencia land grab don’t you think ?

Can you actually answer a question?"

if you read it I did ffs I said yes I would I’d be as pissed as them poor brits who bought villas for life then had a road built through them shocking isn’t

over a year ago

Blaming the French.

Good hustle.

Basically anyone except the leave campaigns and Boris.so how much would you give them mate what do you think is fair 90% 80% 70% ?"

To be clear, I voted against putting the UK into this situation.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Blaming the French.

Good hustle.

Basically anyone except the leave campaigns and Boris.so how much would you give them mate what do you think is fair 90% 80% 70% ?

To be clear, I voted against putting the UK into this situation. "

we all know that mate can sort of tell by ya posts but what would you give them just have a go costs ya nowt lol

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Just my thoughts

Just my thought but why would the eu be against yearly quotas just as they have with Norway?"

Whatever fits but for business investment 5 years would be more stable for EU fishermen who in turn supply U.K. processors.

over a year ago

Blaming the French.

Good hustle.

Basically anyone except the leave campaigns and Boris.so how much would you give them mate what do you think is fair 90% 80% 70% ?

To be clear, I voted against putting the UK into this situation. we all know that mate can sort of tell by ya posts but what would you give them just have a go costs ya nowt lol"

I dunno, I'm not in the negotiations. So I have no idea what's going on.

I know fishing is important for a small number of people here. But if we're not likely to get a decent deal anyway, so the British fishing industry looks like it's going to be decimated. These percentages won't really matter, no matter how much fish and chips we all eat.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Ha, it’s only a bit of banter, we all thought that the leave campaign were lying when they said we ‘held all the cards’ now we know they were lying I know it’s banter bud iv followed yr posts for ages and I know you have better than that in ya locker lol

Plenty in my locker, but if people keep moaning about why the EU won’t let us have the same deal as Canada or a free trade deal I will keep bringing up the ‘we hold all the cards ‘ line "

Is that because you dont have a counter argument?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Blaming the French.

Good hustle.

To be clear, I voted against putting the UK into this situation. we all know that mate can sort of tell by ya posts but what would you give them just have a go costs ya nowt lol

I know fishing is important for a small number of people here. But if we're not likely to get a decent deal anyway, so the British fishing industry looks like it's going to be decimated. These percentages won't really matter, no matter how much fish and chips we all eat."

i know ya dunno none of us do it’s just a daft question have a go mate what would you give away 90/80/70/60/50% just say what you would give up I’d go 50% just to get a deal think it’s fair down the middle even fury amd aj are doing a 50/50 deal lol

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

I think some here are quite happy to be the doormats of the EU

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Anyway I’m bord with this now just going round and round the same old shite keep the red flags flying

over a year ago

Blaming the French.

Good hustle.

To be clear, I voted against putting the UK into this situation. we all know that mate can sort of tell by ya posts but what would you give them just have a go costs ya nowt lol

I know fishing is important for a small number of people here. But if we're not likely to get a decent deal anyway, so the British fishing industry looks like it's going to be decimated. These percentages won't really matter, no matter how much fish and chips we all eat.i know ya dunno none of us do it’s just a daft question have a go mate what would you give away 90/80/70/60/50% just say what you would give up I’d go 50% just to get a deal think it’s fair down the middle even fury amd aj are doing a 50/50 deal lol"

Seeing as I have no idea. I'll agree with you.

over a year ago

"Anyway I’m bord with this now just going round and round the same old shite keep the red flags flying "

Same. The whole thing is zero craic.

Still, the repercussions are unlikely to be over in our lifetimes, so we may as well get used to it.

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

I can’t be the only one also getting pissed off with the news saying fishing is only 0.01% whatever of the countries GDP.

Oi morons that’s because fishing has been decimated since we’ve been in the EU! How about going back to say 1972 & telling what % it was then.

You can’t base your whole news reports on figures that WOULD change if Boris locks out the EU from our waters.

However if he does expect there to be plenty of reflagging & home port changing going on. We’ll have the super trawler “Cirano” British flagged, home port Grimsby, crew French. But it’ll land it’s fish somewhere on the French coast.

I have zero doubt it will happen..

S

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I can’t be the only one also getting pissed off with the news saying fishing is only 0.01% whatever of the countries GDP.

Oi morons that’s because fishing has been decimated since we’ve been in the EU! How about going back to say 1972 & telling what % it was then.

You can’t base your whole news reports on figures that WOULD change if Boris locks out the EU from our waters.

However if he does expect there to be plenty of reflagging & home port changing going on. We’ll have the super trawler “Cirano” British flagged, home port Grimsby, crew French. But it’ll land it’s fish somewhere on the French coast.

S"

I'm fairly sure we sold all our fishing licences when it became deregulated buy its still some more stuff to make up about the eu

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Blaming the French.

Good hustle.

I know fishing is important for a small number of people here. But if we're not likely to get a decent deal anyway, so the British fishing industry looks like it's going to be decimated. These percentages won't really matter, no matter how much fish and chips we all eat.i know ya dunno none of us do it’s just a daft question have a go mate what would you give away 90/80/70/60/50% just say what you would give up I’d go 50% just to get a deal think it’s fair down the middle even fury amd aj are doing a 50/50 deal lol"

To be honest its not the numbers for me its the basic right for the dept of agriculture,fisheries and food to have the say on how much and who nothing more.If they wanted to give 80% away thats up to them but they must have the right the following year to cut or increase it.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I think some here are quite happy to be the doormats of the EU "

True

Its the eton brigade we have to grovel too.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"I can’t be the only one also getting pissed off with the news saying fishing is only 0.01% whatever of the countries GDP.

S

I'm fairly sure we sold all our fishing licences when it became deregulated buy its still some more stuff to make up about the eu

"

You dont seem to have got a handle on this mate.

Think of it as a lease you can sell your lease on but once it runs out it goes back to the owner,we have left the eu the lease has run its course.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

S

Think of it as a lease you can sell your lease on but once it runs out it goes back to the owner,we have left the eu the lease has run its course."

So its hardly the EU s fault it has been decimated then

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

S

Think of it as a lease you can sell your lease on but once it runs out it goes back to the owner,we have left the eu the lease has run its course.

"

You see what i dont get about you ,there is a chance now of the little guy getting a bit back. You do know that the majority of fishing quotas are owned by a few very wealthy people the people you despise and now is a chance for a major reset and you are happy for these rich people to just keep getting richer.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"I think some here are quite happy to be the doormats of the EU "

Some here have a victim complex and don't understand we were a major player in the EU that got our own way the vast majority of the time.

We're going to be far more of a doormat to the EU now we're out.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

S

You see what i dont get about you ,there is a chance now of the little guy getting a bit back. You do know that the majority of fishing quotas are owned by a few very wealthy people the people you despise and now is a chance for a major reset and you are happy for these rich people to just keep getting richer. "

Is that not what happenes when you leave everything to the market?

Isnt that the whole ethos of toryism?free market economies?

And then you complain because the little guy gets shoved out?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

S

You see what i dont get about you ,there is a chance now of the little guy getting a bit back. You do know that the majority of fishing quotas are owned by a few very wealthy people the people you despise and now is a chance for a major reset and you are happy for these rich people to just keep getting richer.

Is that not what happenes when you leave everything to the market?

Isnt that the whole ethos of toryism?free market economies?

And then you complain because the little guy gets shoved out?"

Im not complaining about anything i just thought with your track record you would be supporting the little guy instead of a few very wealthy people mr corbyn would be disappointed in you.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"I think some here are quite happy to be the doormats of the EU

Some here have a victim complex and don't understand we were a major player in the EU that got our own way the vast majority of the time.

We're going to be far more of a doormat to the EU now we're out. "

While I could point out a lot of times we didnt get our way that's not the problem which is pro european pm's such as Major, Blair and Cameron agreed to a continual drip drip move to a superstate, remember we we promised a vote on maastricht but Major got round it and as we discovered last year he prorogued parliament to stop the debate on it. So no I disagree that the UK population didnt get it's way, we weren't asked until 2016, then the majority got it's way, that result wasn't due to boris, Gove,farage or the red bus it was due to the arrogance of pro european politicians and arrogant EU ones, had they listened then we may have voted differently, I have said many times if the EU moved back towards the EEC we joined in 73 I would have voted remain as would loads of people I know.

Immigration is/wasnt the deciding reason for many leave voters as it has little impact on us. (That's not to say I dont understand the impact it has on others )

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Blaming the French.

Good hustle.

I know fishing is important for a small number of people here. But if we're not likely to get a decent deal anyway, so the British fishing industry looks like it's going to be decimated. These percentages won't really matter, no matter how much fish and chips we all eat.i know ya dunno none of us do it’s just a daft question have a go mate what would you give away 90/80/70/60/50% just say what you would give up I’d go 50% just to get a deal think it’s fair down the middle even fury amd aj are doing a 50/50 deal lolTo be honest its not the numbers for me its the basic right for the dept of agriculture,fisheries and food to have the say on how much and who nothing more.If they wanted to give 80% away thats up to them but they must have the right the following year to cut or increase it."

ye spot on mate it’s about the right not a lot to ask for

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

While I could point out a lot of times we didnt get our way that's not the problem which is pro european pm's such as Major, Blair and Cameron agreed to a continual drip drip move to a superstate, remember we we promised a vote on maastricht but Major got round it and as we discovered last year he prorogued parliament to stop the debate on it. So no I disagree that the UK population didnt get it's way, we weren't asked until 2016, then the majority got it's way, that result wasn't due to boris, Gove,farage or the red bus it was due to the arrogance of pro european politicians and arrogant EU ones, had they listened then we may have voted differently, I have said many times if the EU moved back towards the EEC we joined in 73 I would have voted remain as would loads of people I know.

Immigration is/wasnt the deciding reason for many leave voters as it has little impact on us. (That's not to say I dont understand the impact it has on others )"

Immigration was a massive issue for many people.

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

"

More to the point, why would the EU make fishing such a sticking point, when UK fishing waters are worth a lot less than 0.1% of their GDP?

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"I wonder why an industry worth 0.1% of our economy is such a sticking point in trade negotiations

More to the point, why would the EU make fishing such a sticking point, when UK fishing waters are worth a lot less than 0.1% of their GDP?"

You make a valid point on how petty both sides are, you can’t make this stuff up.

Both sides are ready to cut their noses to spite their faces.

And who loses?, the ordinary person on the street.

So those who support a deal and those who support no deal put your heads on straight and realise you being played.

over a year ago

Preston

S

Think of it as a lease you can sell your lease on but once it runs out it goes back to the owner,we have left the eu the lease has run its course."

The English sold "not leased" sold off a massive percentage of their quotas in the 90's when fishing was tough.

Now fishing is more profitable again they want what they sold back, for free.

Say hello to Brexit

over a year ago

Immigration is/wasnt the deciding reason for many leave voters as it has little impact on us. (That's not to say I dont understand the impact it has on others )

Immigration was a massive issue for many people."

Immigration was the only issue for many people

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Immigration was the only issue for many people "

It was, but it was ultimately governments fault for not providing the support for those left behind communities, and as a result immigrants made an easy scapegoat for the failure of successive governments to address the problems that these communities faced on a day to day basis. As a result when the time came to stick two fingers up to the government of the day they did so. An empty victory.

Going forward governments should be weary of not supporting the majority, or else they will face their wrath at the ballot box.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Immigration was the only issue for many people

It was, but it was ultimately governments fault for not providing the support for those left behind communities, and as a result immigrants made an easy scapegoat for the failure of successive governments to address the problems that these communities faced on a day to day basis. As a result when the time came to stick two fingers up to the government of the day they did so. An empty victory.

Going forward governments should be weary of not supporting the majority, or else they will face their wrath at the ballot box. "

over a year ago

Bugger the fish I'm looking forward to smuggling barrels of brandy across the channel come the new year.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"Bugger the fish I'm looking forward to smuggling barrels of brandy across the channel come the new year."
are you a peeky blinder lol

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

I live on fish so all good

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS
over a year ago

Notts

News flash, You can eat fish, not cars not financial services, in ten years time when no one owns a car as they have been made unlawful our fishing rights might be very desirable

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"News flash, You can eat fish, not cars not financial services, in ten years time when no one owns a car as they have been made unlawful our fishing rights might be very desirable "

Eh?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"News flash, You can eat fish, not cars not financial services, in ten years time when no one owns a car as they have been made unlawful our fishing rights might be very desirable "
howling

over a year ago

Preston

So the benefit of leaving is we will all eventually become Captain fucking Birds eye

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Looks like the fisherman are now realising what a fuck up Brexit is.

Talk about Turkeys voting for Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55370313

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Looks like the fisherman are now realising what a fuck up Brexit is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55370313"

Fairly sure I recall someone on here saying the fishermen wanted a no deal.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"I live on fish so all good"

No wonder, all that mercury poisoning....

over a year ago

If only there had been some way of knowing!

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55370313

If only there had been some way of knowing!

"

By *ary_ArgyllMan
over a year ago

Argyll

Trouble if people think the fishing is one big single industry, it is not - there are many different sectors which will be affected in different ways by Brexit - and not all fishers supported leave.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

S

The English sold "not leased" sold off a massive percentage of their quotas in the 90's when fishing was tough.

Say hello to Brexit "

Do you not know how leases work? the eu set quotas the people who had them quotas were paid to burn their boats for their quotas .You can sell a lease on now the uk has taken back control the quotas no longer exist ,the lease has expired.Simple really.All this crap they sold the fishing rights the british government didn't it was the people with the quotas.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

S

Say hello to Brexit Do you not know how leases work? the eu set quotas the people who had them quotas were paid to burn their boats for their quotas .You can sell a lease on now the uk has taken back control the quotas no longer exist ,the lease has expired.Simple really.All this crap they sold the fishing rights the british government didn't it was the people with the quotas."

You’re absolutely technically right Costa

Do you think it’s morally right?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

S

Say hello to Brexit Do you not know how leases work? the eu set quotas the people who had them quotas were paid to burn their boats for their quotas .You can sell a lease on now the uk has taken back control the quotas no longer exist ,the lease has expired.Simple really.All this crap they sold the fishing rights the british government didn't it was the people with the quotas.

Do you think it’s morally right? "

Yes all these quotas are not owned by the local fisherman, they were shafted by rich people who could afford to buy the quotas and hang onto them when they were not worth that much and then made a fortune years later.The british government can now take back control and do a major reset on fishing as the commons fishery policy has been a shambles for years.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

S

Say hello to Brexit Do you not know how leases work? the eu set quotas the people who had them quotas were paid to burn their boats for their quotas .You can sell a lease on now the uk has taken back control the quotas no longer exist ,the lease has expired.Simple really.All this crap they sold the fishing rights the british government didn't it was the people with the quotas.

Do you think it’s morally right? Yes all these quotas are not owned by the local fisherman, they were shafted by rich people who could afford to buy the quotas and hang onto them when they were not worth that much and then made a fortune years later.The british government can now take back control and do a major reset on fishing as the commons fishery policy has been a shambles for years."

Not 100% correct I’m afraid.

The quotas were mostly owned by large companies such as Northern Foods, British United Trawlers Ross group etc.

Most small ships were only partly owned by their skippers.

The big companies were 1. Allowed to sell the ships. 2. Given compensation for losing fishing rights in Iceland. 3. Allowed to sell their quotas. The fishermen were not given redundancy and just dumped as they were classed as casual workers even if they had been in the same company for twenty years.

Like most U.K. companies at the time they didn’t see a short term profit as fish wasn’t that expensive and low margin. So they took the money and got out.

The Spanish, Dutch and French looked to the long term and as fish became scarce and more expensive fortunes were made. The Scots who stayed in the game and knew how to did fish are very rich as a result. Bare in mind two thirds of skippers are not that good at catching fish so don’t do well.

We as a nation want profit tomorrow not next year.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

S

Do you think it’s morally right? "

Like asking if a bear shits in the woods

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

Back to the OP, and it’s a fair question of those who live in fishing communities, if we do get more fishing rights, is there a younger generation of fishermen willing to take over?

Or is it a bit like coal mining, too dangerous and difficult for modern society?

over a year ago

Preston

S

Say hello to Brexit

Do you not know how leases work? the eu set quotas the people who had them quotas were paid to burn their boats for their quotas .You can sell a lease on now the uk has taken back control the quotas no longer exist ,the lease has expired.Simple really.All this crap they sold the fishing rights the british government didn't it was the people with the quotas."

I said the English sold their quotas and I thought that was very clear that it meant the English fishing community not the Government because English was the key word "the English sold" therfore cannot be the Government because there isn't an English Government.

" "Any foreign fishing companies that purchased UK quota in good faith would be very likely to sue if this was now taken away from them". "

This was taken from BBC news article but the thinking there doesn't mention anything about the quotas being leased instead of "sold"

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Back to the OP, and it’s a fair question of those who live in fishing communities, if we do get more fishing rights, is there a younger generation of fishermen willing to take over?

Or is it a bit like coal mining, too dangerous and difficult for modern society? "

Judging by the growing number of African and Asian crews on British boats I doubt very much if the British younger generation will go anywhere near any new jobs.

If they don’t want the job now Brexit won’t sell it to them .

Automation is growing but ultimately you’re playing with Mother Nature and she’s got a hell of a temper!

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"Back to the OP, and it’s a fair question of those who live in fishing communities, if we do get more fishing rights, is there a younger generation of fishermen willing to take over?

Or is it a bit like coal mining, too dangerous and difficult for modern society?

Judging by the growing number of African and Asian crews on British boats I doubt very much if the British younger generation will go anywhere near any new jobs.

Automation is growing but ultimately you’re playing with Mother Nature and she’s got a hell of a temper! "

I don’t blame them tbf it’s a hard life but it tends to run in the blood

over a year ago

Automation is growing but ultimately you’re playing with Mother Nature and she’s got a hell of a temper! I don’t blame them tbf it’s a hard life but it tends to run in the blood "

It's a very hard life. Used to be very well paid, as was fish filleting when there was plenty of fish to fillet. Once the money went, the board and factories had to turn to immigrants. The factories are full of Eastern Europeans (yes I see the irony in this) while the boats are crewed by mainly Filipinos here and Egyptians in Ireland. A big push has been made recently to train up the "next generation" of fishermen through college courses with a trip away on a boat for practical experience. My own nephew and my best friend's son have both taken up fishing jobs this year after completing the course (need all sorts of certificates to be legal crew now). So if it picks up, yes there are young guys still interested in that life, as has been said, for many it is just in the blood.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Automation is growing but ultimately you’re playing with Mother Nature and she’s got a hell of a temper! "

If the money is there then there will people to do the work.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Automation is growing but ultimately you’re playing with Mother Nature and she’s got a hell of a temper! If the money is there then there will people to do the work."

I agree you’re right they will.

I think the problem is that a lot of skippers just aren’t that good at catching fish so have a low income. The crew being paid a high wage depends on the skippers being good. A few are and they attract the loyal reliable crews

Sadly most skippers aren’t that great and workers won’t want the risk of not earning.

over a year ago

Automation is growing but ultimately you’re playing with Mother Nature and she’s got a hell of a temper! If the money is there then there will people to do the work.

I think the problem is that a lot of skippers just aren’t that good at catching fish so have a low income. The crew being paid a high wage depends on the skippers being good. A few are and they attract the loyal reliable crews

Sadly most skippers aren’t that great and workers won’t want the risk of not earning. "

Even the best skipper can only catch his allowed quota. You'll find the skippers that attract the loyal, reliable crews are the ones that give a higher percentage of the catch profits to their crew. Some are just downright greedy.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Automation is growing but ultimately you’re playing with Mother Nature and she’s got a hell of a temper! If the money is there then there will people to do the work.

Sadly most skippers aren’t that great and workers won’t want the risk of not earning.

Even the best skipper can only catch his allowed quota. You'll find the skippers that attract the loyal, reliable crews are the ones that give a higher percentage of the catch profits to their crew. Some are just downright greedy. "

I really don’t know the answer to this but it would be worth looking up how many ships actually reach their quotas. Just out of interest.

Yes some skippers are greedy but they lose crew to the ones who know how to fish and share the fortune.

A good skipper can pay his crew well and still become very rich as long as he owns his boat and isn’t just a shareman!

over a year ago

Even the best skipper can only catch his allowed quota. You'll find the skippers that attract the loyal, reliable crews are the ones that give a higher percentage of the catch profits to their crew. Some are just downright greedy.

I really don’t know the answer to this but it would be worth looking up how many ships actually reach their quotas. Just out of interest.

Yes some skippers are greedy but they lose crew to the ones who know how to fish and share the fortune.

A good skipper can pay his crew well and still become very rich as long as he owns his boat and isn’t just a shareman! "

Around quarter of fishing quotas are owned by the same few families. They are among the richest in the country, and still are even after prosecutions for massive black fish landings. The size of their boats is truly staggering. What shames me most about "greedy" skippers round our way are the ones that had to be taken to court to give their foreign crew decent wages and rights. They even had to be forced to give them accommodation after three foreign crew died in a boat blaze (1 Latvian and 2 Filipinos). They were actually living on the boats, and these werent the fancy massive boats. (I kid you not, some of the biggest boats have gyms and all sorts in them!). Just unbelievable the way some of the foreign guys were being treated.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

A good skipper can pay his crew well and still become very rich as long as he owns his boat and isn’t just a shareman!

Around quarter of fishing quotas are owned by the same few families. They are among the richest in the country, and still are even after prosecutions for massive black fish landings. The size of their boats is truly staggering. What shames me most about "greedy" skippers round our way are the ones that had to be taken to court to give their foreign crew decent wages and rights. They even had to be forced to give them accommodation after three foreign crew died in a boat blaze (1 Latvian and 2 Filipinos). They were actually living on the boats, and these werent the fancy massive boats. (I kid you not, some of the biggest boats have gyms and all sorts in them!). Just unbelievable the way some of the foreign guys were being treated."

Which sort of torpedoes those Brexit narrative

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Around quarter of fishing quotas are owned by the same few families. They are among the richest in the country, and still are even after prosecutions for massive black fish landings. The size of their boats is truly staggering. What shames me most about "greedy" skippers round our way are the ones that had to be taken to court to give their foreign crew decent wages and rights. They even had to be forced to give them accommodation after three foreign crew died in a boat blaze (1 Latvian and 2 Filipinos). They were actually living on the boats, and these werent the fancy massive boats. (I kid you not, some of the biggest boats have gyms and all sorts in them!). Just unbelievable the way some of the foreign guys were being treated."

Sadly I’m not surprised.

It’s a bloody tough living and there’s some hard uncaring bastards in it.

I’m sure some a nice hard working guys but the worse are the only ones to make the news.

By *bernath OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

So I checked it out

"

Not the hill we died on after all then, deal made

Post new Message to Thread