Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

No one chating about a second runway

Jump to newest

By *ove2pleaseseuk OP   Man
over a year ago

Hastings

Gatwick or Heathrow or has this problem gone away.

Guess it would be a white elephant now.

At least that's some government money saved. ...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman
over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

Think it’ll be quite some time before capacity would warrant one. Good for sipson/harmondsworth

By *ete1260Man
over a year ago

Evesham

"Think it’ll be quite some time before capacity would warrant one. Good for sipson/harmondsworth "
And excellent news for the environment and the health of local residents.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

It will come back eventually but Boris will be relieved about it after promising to lie down in front of the bulldozers lol.

The whole thing was completely daft at either Heathrow or Gatwick. I know the idea was to create a busy hub airport with wealthy interchanges of business passengers jetting around the world, spending money in the terminal shops. But that doesn’t benefit the UK population much just because a business passenger has spent three grand on a Louis Vuitton man bag. Yes I’m ranting. Ten years of M25 chaos if it does start.

If we need more capacity just build an airport better placed for the rest of the UK, either Reading or Northampton way for example.

Heathrow got full partly because it still had domestic flights to Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh etc. How ridiculous, people should be going by train, we shouldn’t have any domestic flights in so small a country.

By *00STERMan
over a year ago

nearby

"It will come back eventually but Boris will be relieved about it after promising to lie down in front of the bulldozers lol.

The whole thing was completely daft at either Heathrow or Gatwick. I know the idea was to create a busy hub airport with wealthy interchanges of business passengers jetting around the world, spending money in the terminal shops. But that doesn’t benefit the UK population much just because a business passenger has spent three grand on a Louis Vuitton man bag. Yes I’m ranting. Ten years of M25 chaos if it does start.

If we need more capacity just build an airport better placed for the rest of the UK, either Reading or Northampton way for example.

Heathrow got full partly because it still had domestic flights to Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh etc. How ridiculous, people should be going by train, we shouldn’t have any domestic flights in so small a country."

So I should waste a day on a train getting to Edinburgh when I can take off at 9am and be there by 10, have a nice weekend break in an amazing city and be home Sunday evening. Not a chance ! It’s a flight every time for me that’s for sure, cheaper, more convenient and way faster !

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"If we need more capacity just build an airport better placed for the rest of the UK, either Reading or Northampton way for example.

Heathrow got full partly because it still had domestic flights to Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh etc. How ridiculous, people should be going by train, we shouldn’t have any domestic flights in so small a country."

I hate to break it to you, but have you looked at a map to see where Heathrow is in relation to Reading...

The domestic flights are a huge feeder to longhaul (in particularly for BA) where it wouldn’t make commercial sense to move long haul flights to other airports around the country (think 2 flights to New York, both half full from separate places or 1 full from Heathrow, with a full connecting flight from Manchester for example that feeds 10 other long haul destinations)

Your argument that people should use the train instead is slightly ridiculous, in an ‘ideal’ world we *might* have all domestic travel on trains but you have to consider how you then get from the train to the airport (ie everyone would have to get the train to london, then get HEX/ a bus/ the underground out to Heathrow) the nationwide infrastructure change that would have to take place would be prohibitive.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

"It will come back eventually but Boris will be relieved about it after promising to lie down in front of the bulldozers lol.

Heathrow got full partly because it still had domestic flights to Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh etc. How ridiculous, people should be going by train, we shouldn’t have any domestic flights in so small a country.

So I should waste a day on a train getting to Edinburgh when I can take off at 9am and be there by 10, have a nice weekend break in an amazing city and be home Sunday evening. Not a chance ! It’s a flight every time for me that’s for sure, cheaper, more convenient and way faster ! "

Oh do come on, driving to the airport, parking, checking in at 7am, same on the return. Pretty much the same travel time end to end.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

"If we need more capacity just build an airport better placed for the rest of the UK, either Reading or Northampton way for example.

I hate to break it to you, but have you looked at a map to see where Heathrow is in relation to Reading...

The domestic flights are a huge feeder to longhaul (in particularly for BA) where it wouldn’t make commercial sense to move long haul flights to other airports around the country (think 2 flights to New York, both half full from separate places or 1 full from Heathrow, with a full connecting flight from Manchester for example that feeds 10 other long haul destinations)

Your argument that people should use the train instead is slightly ridiculous, in an ‘ideal’ world we *might* have all domestic travel on trains but you have to consider how you then get from the train to the airport (ie everyone would have to get the train to london, then get HEX/ a bus/ the underground out to Heathrow) the nationwide infrastructure change that would have to take place would be prohibitive. "

You’re referring to infrastructure as it is now, when it’s been said for forty years at least that Heathrow is in the wrong place.

Let’s not compound forty years of cockups with another forty, let’s grasp the nettle, and put the infrastructure in the right place.

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"Gatwick or Heathrow or has this problem gone away.

At least that's some government money saved. ..."

In tbe virus room ?

over a year ago

This is true, but then people complain that the (small in comparison) disruption from a third runway would be too bad.

And knowing this country, it would be more delayed than the new Berlin airport that’s only just opened many years overdue

By *00STERMan
over a year ago

nearby

So I should waste a day on a train getting to Edinburgh when I can take off at 9am and be there by 10, have a nice weekend break in an amazing city and be home Sunday evening. Not a chance ! It’s a flight every time for me that’s for sure, cheaper, more convenient and way faster !

Oh do come on, driving to the airport, parking, checking in at 7am, same on the return. Pretty much the same travel time end to end. "

So a return trip from london by train would be 5 hours each way 10 hours total that’s without travel to the station and waiting for the train, so add on another 30 mins each end for a total of 11 hours round trip. I’m 30 mins from gatwick, get there an hour and a half before departure then the flight is 1 hour. So 3 hours each way for a 6 hours total. Fly every time it’s faster, more convenient and you get to start your weekend away with a nice Fortnum’s breakfast in the airport !

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

Oh do come on, driving to the airport, parking, checking in at 7am, same on the return. Pretty much the same travel time end to end.

So a return trip from london by train would be 5 hours each way 10 hours total that’s without travel to the station and waiting for the train, so add on another 30 mins each end for a total of 11 hours round trip. I’m 30 mins from gatwick, get there an hour and a half before departure then the flight is 1 hour. So 3 hours each way for a 6 hours total. Fly every time it’s faster, more convenient and you get to start your weekend away with a nice Fortnum’s breakfast in the airport ! "

Well I specifically said Heathrow to Gatwick so you can add in your case another two hours to that. Oh and BA might be on strike at Christmas anyway lol.

By *00STERMan
over a year ago

nearby

So a return trip from london by train would be 5 hours each way 10 hours total that’s without travel to the station and waiting for the train, so add on another 30 mins each end for a total of 11 hours round trip. I’m 30 mins from gatwick, get there an hour and a half before departure then the flight is 1 hour. So 3 hours each way for a 6 hours total. Fly every time it’s faster, more convenient and you get to start your weekend away with a nice Fortnum’s breakfast in the airport !

Well I specifically said Heathrow to Gatwick so you can add in your case another two hours to that. Oh and BA might be on strike at Christmas anyway lol. "

Not at all I’m 30 mins from both airports. So either way your just incredibly wrong ..

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Well I specifically said Heathrow to Gatwick so you can add in your case another two hours to that. Oh and BA might be on strike at Christmas anyway lol. "

whats so funny about a BA strike? although i doubt that will happen as hardly any of them are working at the moment and it doesnt look like the aviation industry will recover for a few years yet.

By *ary Mary not so hairyWoman
over a year ago

Tamworth

Maybe its the anti expansionists who commissioned the Wuhan lab to engineer the virus?

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

Well I specifically said Heathrow to Gatwick so you can add in your case another two hours to that. Oh and BA might be on strike at Christmas anyway lol.

Not at all I’m 30 mins from both airports. So either way your just incredibly wrong .."

Lol if you’re in Porchester as shown you are minimum 1hr 15 from Heathrow with no traffic according to google. And 1hr 21 from Gatwick.

Bear in mind you started off by talking about taking off at 9 and arriving by 10. In reality if you set off from your house at 9 you wouldn’t even have got to the airport by 10 lol. That’s much more incredibly wrong in my book

By *ake The Rooster CrowMan
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Maybe its a good time to build it they wouldn't have to shut down much to get the work done and it will create some construction jobs.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

"Maybe its a good time to build it they wouldn't have to shut down much to get the work done and it will create some construction jobs. "

Would be at least two or three or five years before all the preparation and groundwork was done ready for building even if the project started today.

By *ethnmelvCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

Lets have Boris’s Thames Estuary Airport! Like all his grandiose plans, f’ing ridiculous

over a year ago

I preferred riding the motorbike from Crawley to Manchester, it might take a bit longer but it helped you get rid of a bit of aggression or stress.

over a year ago

"Gatwick or Heathrow or has this problem gone away.

At least that's some government money saved. ..."

Heathrow already has a 2nd Runway .

I assume you just messed up accidently

By *oodvibrations68Couple
over a year ago

Lake Constance

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Not at all I’m 30 mins from both airports. So either way your just incredibly wrong ..

Lol if you’re in Porchester as shown you are minimum 1hr 15 from Heathrow with no traffic according to google. And 1hr 21 from Gatwick.

Bear in mind you started off by talking about taking off at 9 and arriving by 10. In reality if you set off from your house at 9 you wouldn’t even have got to the airport by 10 lol. That’s much more incredibly wrong in my book "

And all these arguments show that if any extra international flight capacity is needed, it should be nowhere near London as all that can possibly do is increase congestion for all forms of travel in the south east.

Every journey two to three hundred miles south to reach Heathrow for flying out, then two to three hundred miles north on return, is a waste of time, money and energy.

If any new airport capacity is needed it should certainly be no further south than Manchester, and preferably even further north. Maybe north east to push investment and promote regeneration of tyne and wearside.

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Bear in mind you started off by talking about taking off at 9 and arriving by 10. In reality if you set off from your house at 9 you wouldn’t even have got to the airport by 10 lol. That’s much more incredibly wrong in my book

And all these arguments show that if any extra international flight capacity is needed, it should be nowhere near London as all that can possibly do is increase congestion for all forms of travel in the south east.

Every journey two to three hundred miles south to reach Heathrow for flying out, then two to three hundred miles north on return, is a waste of time, money and energy.

If any new airport capacity is needed it should certainly be no further south than Manchester, and preferably even further north. Maybe north east to push investment and promote regeneration of tyne and wearside. "

or even Teesside airport

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Expand Gatwick and Expand Manchester.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

That is why I think Gatwick would be a better option, the M25 is a nightmare without redirecting to expand Heathrow.

Is the Gatwick expansion still being self funded, as I read somewhere the Heathrow one was askung for tax payers money.

Post new Message to Thread