Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

First Pets

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thinking about getting little one a pet, and it just made me think about my first pet and it was a Russian Hamster called Stinky. Damm thing bit me loads no matter how nice i was to it.

What was your first pet? Also have you had a stand out pet that's been your favourite and will always stay with you?

The stand out family pet we had was a budgie called Saxon.. he was just brilliant

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

a budgie called Jimmy (after Jimmy Osmond), which my mum killed by alcohol poisoning.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My first pet was already there before I was born.. My first pet that was mine was a big tabby tom.. ( well he was a tiny rescue kitten when I got him) he was named Tigger.. I had him for 17 years...

The pet that was there first was Shanni, our Brown burmese cat, and her litter of kittens.. Her son became a champion at the cat show.

Cali

over a year ago

"a budgie called Jimmy (after Jimmy Osmond), which my mum killed by alcohol poisoning."

Buckfast has a lot to answer for, i knew about women who woke up next to ugly men.. but alcohol poisoning of an innocent budgie is just a step too far! Im writing a letter to those monks lol

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"a budgie called Jimmy (after Jimmy Osmond), which my mum killed by alcohol poisoning.

Buckfast has a lot to answer for, i knew about women who woke up next to ugly men.. but alcohol poisoning of an innocent budgie is just a step too far! Im writing a letter to those monks lol "

It was whiskey actually. Not everyone in Scotland drinks Buckie you know

over a year ago

our first pet was a tabby cat called tibby, then when i got married my hubby got me a minature poodle, then a minature long haired sausage dog, now we have a very small jack russel, my favourite pets where my dogs.

over a year ago

Mine was a dog called Toby. We used to live in a block of flats and he lived on our balcony, and I'd regularly climb out of the window to spend time with him as I couldn't open the door. I was about 7 or 8 at the time.

Then we moved house, and the fella that my mum was with made up some cock-and-bull story about how he went missing one night and someone must've stolen him.

Absolutely loved that dog

over a year ago

My two boys' first pet was a tarantula a couple years ago! Being quite young at the time, they thought it would be a good idea to let it out its cage for a walk!

Needless to say, the ex moved out to her mums until i found it! Took me 4days.

Woke up one morning and it was on the other pillow, i feckin shat meself! Took about 20 whacks with a womens own to take it down!!

They have a cat now!!

over a year ago

"My two boys' first pet was a tarantula a couple years ago! Being quite young at the time, they thought it would be a good idea to let it out its cage for a walk!

Woke up one morning and it was on the other pillow, i feckin shat meself! Took about 20 whacks with a womens own to take it down!!

They have a cat now!! "

you killed the tarantula?

why not just pick it up and put it back in its cage/glass box thing

over a year ago

"My two boys' first pet was a tarantula a couple years ago! Being quite young at the time, they thought it would be a good idea to let it out its cage for a walk!

They have a cat now!!

why not just pick it up and put it back in its cage/glass box thing"

cos it was lookin at me and thinkin 'mmmm, lunch'

over a year ago

my first pet was a mouse called Peebles, but we have 2 westies now and a bearded dragon, bearded dragons are great fun and very easy to look after and handle,,and as for the guy hitting a tarantula with a womans own ,shame on you, i'd of used an Argos catalogue

over a year ago

They have a cat now!!

cos it was lookin at me and thinkin 'mmmm, lunch' "

Tbh dude, I'd have done the same thing. Spiders are the living embodiment of pure evil

over a year ago

poor spider, don't buy pets if you cant look after them. simple really

over a year ago

"poor spider, don't buy pets if you cant look after them. simple really "

totally agree with you! That spider was well taken care of!!!

over a year ago

They have a cat now!!

cos it was lookin at me and thinkin 'mmmm, lunch'

Tbh dude, I'd have done the same thing. Spiders are the living embodiment of pure evil"

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"poor spider"

says the woman who is petrified of spiders....

over a year ago

"poor spider

says the woman who is petrified of spiders.... "

very true, although id never buy one just to kill it when i neglected it and it escaped.

id not have a pet without liking it and being confident in handling it first, surely this scenario must have crept up 'oh what if it escapes'

over a year ago

PLUS, the bastard cost me 4days of no sex!! AND i had to buy a new duvet set, as the pillow looked like something out of CSI!!!

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"poor spider

very true, although id never buy one just to kill it when i neglected it and it escaped.

id not have a pet without liking it and being confident in handling it first, surely this scenario must have crept up 'oh what if it escapes' "

I agree with what you are saying but let's not forget it was his young kids who let it out, so it's not really a clear case of neglect.

over a year ago

"poor spider

id not have a pet without liking it and being confident in handling it first, surely this scenario must have crept up 'oh what if it escapes' "

if you bothered to actually read the WHOLE post, it wasnt neglected!! My boys let it out its cage! We had had it for 9months prior to the incident!!

over a year ago

"poor spider

id not have a pet without liking it and being confident in handling it first, surely this scenario must have crept up 'oh what if it escapes'

if you bothered to actually read the WHOLE post, it wasnt neglected!! My boys let it out its cage! We had had it for 9months prior to the incident!! "

Ok fair enough your lads let it out, but as a responsible adult you'd have had to have a say in allowing them to keep a tarantula as a pet and even then must have had an understanding that there could be a possibility it could escape. If a dog escapes its garden i doubt a responsible pet owner would get it put down

over a year ago

First I can remember were white mice. My big bro kept them in a glass fish tank which got broken one day and we had to put up with scraching noises in the wardrobes for ages.

over a year ago

"poor spider

if you bothered to actually read the WHOLE post, it wasnt neglected!! My boys let it out its cage! We had had it for 9months prior to the incident!!

Ok fair enough your lads let it out, but as a responsible adult you'd have had to have a say in allowing them to keep a tarantula as a pet and even then must have had an understanding that there could be a possibility it could escape. If a dog escapes its garden i doubt a responsible pet owner would get it put down "

So if you woke up one morning and it was on your pillow next to you what would you have done?????

over a year ago

"poor spider

Ok fair enough your lads let it out, but as a responsible adult you'd have had to have a say in allowing them to keep a tarantula as a pet and even then must have had an understanding that there could be a possibility it could escape. If a dog escapes its garden i doubt a responsible pet owner would get it put down "

i agree! I should have acted a bit more resposibly, but at 5.30 in the mornin, waking up and finding a spider the size of a kitten layin nxt to you, the last thing on my mind was gettin it to its cage!!

over a year ago

"

So if you woke up one morning and it was on your pillow next to you what would you have done?????"

jumped outta my skin, then attempt to re capture it and put it back in its home.

i don't like spiders full stop so id never purchase one, the fact this guy bought one for his young lads might have indicated he wasn't going to be such a sissy and be afraid of it..

clearly i have a difference of opinion.

over a year ago

"

So if you woke up one morning and it was on your pillow next to you what would you have done?????

jumped outta my skin, then attempt to re capture it and put it back in its home.

i don't like spiders full stop so id never purchase one, the fact this guy bought one for his young lads might have indicated he wasn't going to be such a sissy and be afraid of it..

clearly i have a difference of opinion. "

lol, SISSY!!! Luv it, i was the one who fed it, changed its cage every so often and generally looked after it after being pestered by my kids for one! I take it you don't have kids?

Im only sad it was a womens own i grabbed and not a fhm mag as i don't like animal cruelty!!

over a year ago

"

lol, SISSY!!! Luv it, i was the one who fed it, changed its cage every so often and generally looked after it after being pestered by my kids for one! I take it you don't have kids?

Im only sad it was a womens own i grabbed and not a fhm mag as i don't like animal cruelty!! "

yes i do have a young child, luckily not at the pestering stage for pets just yet.

over a year ago

"

Im only sad it was a womens own i grabbed and not a fhm mag as i don't like animal cruelty!!

yes i do have a young child, luckily not at the pestering stage for pets just yet. "

well, i'm not being funny, but when your kid DOES start pestering you for wks to get a pet then you will know what its like! Esp when theres two of them and they don't let up, lol,

over a year ago

"

well, i'm not being funny, but when your kid DOES start pestering you for wks to get a pet then you will know what its like! Esp when theres two of them and they don't let up, lol, "

Id like to think i can say 'no' but if i did agree to it, think id get a pet i could look after. Its clear we disagree on how the situation was dealt with and dont think anymore needs to be said on it.

over a year ago

"

well, i'm not being funny, but when your kid DOES start pestering you for wks to get a pet then you will know what its like! Esp when theres two of them and they don't let up, lol,

Id like to think i can say 'no' but if i did agree to it, think id get a pet i could look after. Its clear we disagree on how the situation was dealt with and dont think anymore needs to be said on it. "

i have to agree with you sassy he should never have got it for his kids in the first place

over a year ago

"

Id like to think i can say 'no' but if i did agree to it, think id get a pet i could look after. Its clear we disagree on how the situation was dealt with and dont think anymore needs to be said on it. "

exactly, as i said earlier, i should have used a fhm mag as the womens own one only prolonged the inevitable!!

over a year ago

"

So if you woke up one morning and it was on your pillow next to you what would you have done?????"

I would've screamed like I'd never screamed before, burst into tears, ran around the room in a panic and eventually hopefully find a box for it to go in before returning it to it's glass house.

I couldn't kill something that size poor Itsy

over a year ago

Our first family pet was a female cat called Spotty - yeah crap name lol!

We always had cats as pets.

My own first pet was a long-based black cat named Sam... even his whiskers were black! he was beautiful, but a bit odd in that he hated cuddles, and refused to sit on anyones knee ever! but he would follow me around the house or to the corner shop... and he loved going next door when they had a BBQ

By *odka n CokeCouple
over a year ago

Greater London

Such a shame you killed the tarantula as being out and about it would probably have been cold and therefore, easy to pick up and put back.

Spiders are such misunderstood creatures - if there were no spiders, we'd all be permanantly covered in flies!

Anyway, Russian Hamsters are not a good pet for kids as they are prone to bite. The best 'small furry' type of pet for a kid is a rat Great animals for kids, easy to tame, very placid and also a lot cleaner than a lot of small cage animals. Don't get mice as they pee and poo all the time and smell.

If you can afford the set up, bearded dragons are also a great pet for kids.

If you want to go the reptile route and opt for a gecko, bare in mind that kids have a tendancy to grab tails and geckos have a tendancy to drop theirs!

over a year ago

rats are exelent 1st pets,mine used to sit on my shoulder whilst i watched the telly!

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

My first pet was there before I was, it was a rescue Boxer dog called Prince....he adored us kids and was daft as a brush but once the Dr came to give my little sister an injection and made her cry so Prince had him pinned to the fireguard till Mam pulled him off of him....that Dr wouldn't come back to our house until Prince passed away

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

We didnt have many pets as kids but callum had a

duck

4 terrins

2 guinea pigs

rabbit

mumerous hamsters and rats

cats

corn snake

lizards

not all at once think my favourite was the duck and corn snake. He used to ride round the back yard with the duck in the back of his litte bike

over a year ago

recent trends within my friends is to have pet chickens and ducks... i was thinking about getting some chickens for all of 2 mins before deciding against it lol

over a year ago

Giant Madagascan hissing cockroaches, easy to keep, interesting and cheap to feed? Alternatively a cat??? Cat it is then!

My first pet was a hamster and yet of course I got bitten! Often!

over a year ago

" Giant Madagascan hissing cockroaches, easy to keep, interesting and cheap to feed? Alternatively a cat??? Cat it is then!

My first pet was a hamster and yet of course I got bitten! Often! "

cockroaches

ewwwwwww

over a year ago

Paddy the cat. He was well cool. Died a few yrs ago. Never to be replaced as he can't be beaten.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Think the best pet callum had was the corn snake, there very educational. Watching and learning when its going to shed, watching them dislocate their jaw when they are eating. Ours used to curl up in a ball on top of my head and go to sleep

over a year ago

My first pet was a Fruit Bat, and it's always stayed with me thirty odd years now, every minute of everyday. You can't beat an imaginary pet

over a year ago

"a budgie called Jimmy (after Jimmy Osmond), which my mum killed by alcohol poisoning.

Buckfast has a lot to answer for, i knew about women who woke up next to ugly men.. but alcohol poisoning of an innocent budgie is just a step too far! Im writing a letter to those monks lol

It was whiskey actually. Not everyone in Scotland drinks Buckie you know "

My mums budgie loved gin .... its cage sat on top of the drinks cupboard and every time it heard a bottle rattle it would go mad till you gave it a sip from your glass ... fekkin grass, because of him mum always knew when we were at the drinks cupboard.

over a year ago

Have 5 that are free to a good home.Ok any home !

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

First pet was cat called mugsy when i was 10 last pet was my cat called boris had him 18 years died in september havent replaced him he was the best

Post new Message to Thread