Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Speakeasy 100 years ago

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

In the 1920's in America during prohibition an illegal bar was called a speakeasy. My pub could become one of those as there was only ever four of us in there at any one time? Seriously though where would we be without the off license? and sales of alcohol are up 20%+.

So after we've toasted to our front line workers should we toast the 100th anniversary of the speakeasy? after all we've got nothing better to do. You know it's bad when you start reading your spam emails!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Why called a speakeasy though, could we all tell our gossip without being overheard.

over a year ago

"Why called a speakeasy though, could we all tell our gossip without being overheard. "

Oh, I know this one.

Its because you had to speak quietly about them in public and quietly inside so the police outside couldn't hear

Speakeasies was just a different way of saying speak quietly

over a year ago

"Why called a speakeasy though, could we all tell our gossip without being overheard.

Oh, I know this one.

Its because you had to speak quietly about them in public and quietly inside so the police outside couldn't hear

Speakeasies was just a different way of saying speak quietly"

Sounds plausible . I'll take it!

By *ddictedToLoveMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

That’s why cocktails were created during that time cos the alcohol was so bad, they needed something to make it taste better.

Post new Message to Thread