Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What camera?

Jump to newest

By *nJ_NW_cpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

wirral

We are looking for a digital SLR camera that we can use for photos at sports events, fast bikes and cars, and also for holiday snaps. Don’t want to spend a fortune as it would only be used a few times a year as the 12mp cameras on our phones are great for everyday pics. What should we be looking for and where should we go to look? Thanks in anticipation of the professional advice.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You should look for a digital SLR camera that we can use for photos at sports events, fast bikes and cars, and also for holiday snaps that you can use a few times a year. job done.

By *nJ_NW_cpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

wirral

Well that’s really helpful thank you.

By *uitar_antiheroMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I'm not all knowledgeable about camera but you probably want a Canon eos. Maybe 450D or whatever the current model is. Or get a Canon Ixus compact, great for all kinds of photos

By *ixson-BallsMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

all depends on your budget...a decent but budget priced digital slr camera will cost between £400-500....

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

"You should look for a digital SLR camera that we can use for photos at sports events, fast bikes and cars, and also for holiday snaps that you can use a few times a year. job done."

Wow, I never had you down for being a nerdy, techy type.

over a year ago

If you want to shoot action sports photography, then it boils down to three factors...

How well the camera can buffer individual frames (it's image buffer). Larger the better.

How fast the camera can write its buffer out to a memory card (the card type is a BIG factor)

How fast the shutter assembly can cycle and whether the power supply inside the camera can pump current into the shutter in such a quantity for the shutter to go like a machine gun

Nikon made three models of their cameras with the H suffix. If you look at those they're slightly less image quality than the usual cameras in that range, but they make up for it by being able to take and write out images so fast, they've been the professional's instrument of choice.

The other companies do similar things. If you're going to be doing serious work, then think long and hard about the camera. It having a 'sports mode' is not quite enough....

Good luck with your choice. I'd be tempted for shake reduction in body rather than the lense too, but I like my old glass a bit too much.

Wolf

over a year ago

It's not just about the camera. It's about the lens. Do you have some lenses from a film slr?

If you do then you will want the same make camera so you can use the lenses. If not then write a dream list of lenses you may want in the future and compare prices.

Bottom line is speed. there are as many reasons to pick Cannon as Nikon. But once picked you have to follow that brand as you find the cheapest asset is the ceramic body.

over a year ago

Meant camera body obviously predictive preferred ceramic though

By *adgeeMan
over a year ago

Sw Scotland

" Don’t want to spend a fortune as it would only be used a few times a year as the 12mp cameras on our phones are great for everyday pics. "

What kind of phone do you have that has a 12 Mp camera?

over a year ago

I use a Canon EOS 40D. I've had it about 4 years and I'm sure there will be a newer model out now.

It will shoot at 6.5 frames /sec which sounds like a machine gun. ideal for catching fast action such as you require.

Along with a battery grip, extra lenses etc, I paid 1500 quid for it, but that was back then.

Apart from the magapixels etc etc, the most important thing about a camera is the lens - if you have a shit lens, you'll have shit images, no matter how good the camera body is, no matter how good a photographer you are shit lens = shit images.

Also make sure the SD/CF card has a fast write time - Cat10 cards are the fastest. They'll cost you serious money compared with the cheaper cat4 stuff which are sold on Ebay for little money, but the faster the card,the quicker the camera can record the image to the card and prepare to take the next shot - this is particularly importans it shooting at 6.5 f/sec.

Hope this helps

By *ittle-Miss-MuffetCouple
over a year ago

Chester / North Wales

" Don’t want to spend a fortune as it would only be used a few times a year as the 12mp cameras on our phones are great for everyday pics.

What kind of phone do you have that has a 12 Mp camera? "

There are quite a few of them? Some of the newer Sony Xperia's for example..

Just to add my two pence worth.. Do you really need an SLR just to use a few times a year? You hardly sound like pro's if you are happy with cam phone snaps (12 mega pix or not). Have you thought about a bridge camera?

By *ittle-Miss-MuffetCouple
over a year ago

Chester / North Wales

"I use a Canon EOS 40D. I've had it about 4 years and I'm sure there will be a newer model out now.

It will shoot at 6.5 frames /sec which sounds like a machine gun. ideal for catching fast action such as you require.

Along with a battery grip, extra lenses etc, I paid 1500 quid for it, but that was back then.

Apart from the magapixels etc etc, the most important thing about a camera is the lens - if you have a shit lens, you'll have shit images, no matter how good the camera body is, no matter how good a photographer you are shit lens = shit images.

Also make sure the SD/CF card has a fast write time - Cat10 cards are the fastest. They'll cost you serious money compared with the cheaper cat4 stuff which are sold on Ebay for little money, but the faster the card,the quicker the camera can record the image to the card and prepare to take the next shot - this is particularly importans it shooting at 6.5 f/sec.

Hope this helps"

No one else saw the "don't want to spend a fortune" bit then...

over a year ago

"

No one else saw the "don't want to spend a fortune" bit then..."

I did see it, but the point I was trying to make is that it cost me 1500 quid then -ie 4 years ago. The same model now 2nd hand would be a tiny fraction of that price but still a good camera which would do exactly what the OP requires .....

By *ikeriderMan
over a year ago

prestatyn

" Have you thought about a bridge camera?"

Another vote for a bridge camera.

It does more than a 'point and shoot' but not as much as a dslr.

By *arkstaffsMan
over a year ago

Rugeley

Had a Fuji S4000 Bridge for a few months now and very pleased with it. I use it more than my EOS now, very nice piece of kit for the price.

By *ixson-BallsMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

same here....I have a sony hx100 bridge camera....30x zoom...for wildlife etc....10fps for action shots...and decent for video recording...i'm well chuffed with it....pick one up for about £350

By *oviemakerMan
over a year ago

swansea

There are very few 'bad' cameras, so handle as many as you can and pick the one you're most comfortable with. You'll get much better results from a camera that you like using than one that feels awkward.

Post new Message to Thread