Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

is it rude (possible wsb spoiler.)

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

.... World superbikes just had a British winner... And the national anthem is played... And a pan around shows most people chatting and ignoring it.

I remember when people would take caps off.. And stand quietly...

So is it rude to not show respect for your own national anthem....

Cali

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *pankable69Woman
over a year ago

Norwich

its a sex site and you ask what is rude

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

".... World superbikes just had a British winner... And the national anthem is played... And a pan around shows most people chatting and ignoring it.

Cali "

as an ex mameber of our beloved armed forces i think its rude but i also think its a sign of the times Cali most people have lost the respect for fellow man and totaly lost respect for there our own country

over a year ago

"its a sex site and you ask what is rude"

bit of a rude response.

maybe it is a sex site but take some time to read other posts, not all of them are about sex

over a year ago

See I find it rude.. my dad would give me a clip around the ear for not standing up... Or being quiet.. but mostly I was expected to sing...

Cali

over a year ago

".... World superbikes just had a British winner... And the national anthem is played... And a pan around shows most people chatting and ignoring it.

Cali

as an ex mameber of our beloved armed forces i think its rude but i also think its a sign of the times Cali most people have lost the respect for fellow man and totaly lost respect for there our own country"

over a year ago

"See I find it rude.. my dad would give me a clip around the ear for not standing up... Or being quiet.. but mostly I was expected to sing...

Cali "

you sing away cali ... i'll join in with ya

over a year ago

My daughter came home proud she had been the only one in her class to know what the national anthem was.. and they are only learning that at school because of the jubilee.

I just had never really noticed... And I notice when other countries win often there winner will bow their heads to show respect.

Cali

over a year ago

Not as rude as a Scottish person winning something and having them suffer the dinn of the English national anthem...FREEDOM

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Not sure if i would call it rude but a sign of th times. We used to sing god savd the queen at the end of every assembly and whenever it was televised we automatically stood up,

over a year ago

"Not as rude as a Scottish person winning something and having them suffer the dinn of the English national anthem...FREEDOM "

well ... just listened to the "scottish national anthem" (flower of scotland) and think you should think yourself lucky that we allow you to use the BRITISH national anthem

over a year ago

"Not as rude as a Scottish person winning something and having them suffer the dinn of the English national anthem...FREEDOM

well ... just listened to the "scottish national anthem" (flower of scotland) and think you should think yourself lucky that we allow you to use the BRITISH national anthem "

Bloody racists FREEDOM

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Cali "

No. It is not rude to not show respect for the national anthem?

Why? Cos it's not a national anthem. It's about the Queen.

Most people are anti monarchy but they are very Nationalistic.

Change the Anthem to be relevant to Britain Today.

over a year ago

Cali

"

+1 .... Land Of Hope And Glory for national anthem

over a year ago

"

"

agreed. Land Of Hope And Glory gets my vote. I can imagine that being sung with pride

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

Cali

"

+1 aswell

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

Cali

.... Land Of Hope And Glory for national anthem "

+1

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

as has been said, its an outdated national anthem.

we should have an english one ratehr than an all encompassing one, then, if they are representing Britain (any of the home nations) then they have to sit through the one we have, but representing thier own little country, then we should have either:

land of hope n glory

jeruselem

the archers

played

over a year ago

"as has been said, its an outdated national anthem.

we should have an english one ratehr than an all encompassing one, then, if they are representing Britain (any of the home nations) then they have to sit through the one we have, but representing thier own little country, then we should have either:

land of hope n glory

jeruselem

the archers

played"

lol @ the archers

over a year ago

It is still our national anthem.. and to be fair I dont think what was played, people would still show lack of respect for it.

Watch when people like Nori Haga win, he stands quietly as his national anthem is played..

It just seems to be a lost form of respect these days.

Cali

over a year ago

"

agreed. Land Of Hope And Glory gets my vote. I can imagine that being sung with pride "

Well I'm sorry but I disagree

Try telling all the men and women that have given there lives to enable the peoples including yourselves of this nation to live in freedom without repression

Who took the king ( now queens shilling ) when they go inti battle they fight for yes queen and country. As I did and many others like me bowing of heads is not just for royalty it's for every man woman and child of this great British country.

In the same context this is the reason we bow our heads at our fallen and what adorns the cofin the flag of our and what is a greater representaion of that flag if not our queen

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

yeah, cant see us getting a national anthem thats represntative of todays society, otherwise you may as well just have the polish/ukraine/indian anthems played, or that 'wheres me keys, wheres me phone' lol

over a year ago

Cali

as an ex mameber of our beloved armed forces i think its rude but i also think its a sign of the times Cali most people have lost the respect for fellow man and totaly lost respect for there our own country"

It's not a case of not having any respect for one's country.We shouldn't have a National Anthem which is about the monarch when so many people in Britain including us, are opposed to having a monarch in the first place.

over a year ago

Cali

as an ex mameber of our beloved armed forces i think its rude but i also think its a sign of the times Cali most people have lost the respect for fellow man and totaly lost respect for there our own country

It's not a case of not having any respect for one's country.We shouldn't have a National Anthem which is about the monarch when so many people in Britain including us, are opposed to having a monarch in the first place."

If you don't have a monarch you will get a president. Personally, I prefer the former going on evidence.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"Not as rude as a Scottish person winning something and having them suffer the dinn of the English national anthem...FREEDOM

well ... just listened to the "scottish national anthem" (flower of scotland) and think you should think yourself lucky that we allow you to use the BRITISH national anthem Bloody racists FREEDOM"

You be getting Aussie to say it next.... Oh wait already been done

over a year ago

"

It's not a case of not having any respect for one's country.We shouldn't have a National Anthem which is about the monarch when so many people in Britain including us, are opposed to having a monarch in the first place."

It doesnt matter what the song is about.. its played as a mark of respect as is every other countries national anthem. It could say god save pudsey bear, or mr blobby and people should still show respect.

I was brought up to stand to the national anthem, and if not singing to be quiet.. I teach my children the same.

cali

over a year ago

If someone doesn't want to join in singing a national anthem, then that's their right not to do so for whatever reason. But to talk, make noise or worse even boo a national anthem is just purely disrespectful to those who do want to honour it.

over a year ago

While I don't think it's particularly disrespectful or rude not to sing along, or even just stand up for it, I think it shows a lack of pride in our country. Mind you, it's not exactly helped when you see our sportsmen(looking at you, footballers) just barely mumble their way through it in glorious HD

over a year ago

one of the problems is the mentioning of GOD. There are many atheists/agnostics and those who have no real interest in religion. The anthem doesn't really stir much emotion in many people.

By *ove2-shareCouple
over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

well ... just listened to the "scottish national anthem" (flower of scotland) and think you should think yourself lucky that we allow you to use the BRITISH national anthem Bloody racists FREEDOM"

Well im sure lots of scots dont like the verse about rebellious scots, And as an Agnostic and a Rpublican there is actually a lot to be unhappy about.

By *ove2-shareCouple
over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

"If someone doesn't want to join in singing a national anthem, then that's their right not to do so for whatever reason. But to talk, make noise or worse even boo a national anthem is just purely disrespectful to those who do want to honour it.

"

Fair Point, I wont stand up for ours as it represents things I detest but I do keep quiet.as I would for anyone elses

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

"See I find it rude.. my dad would give me a clip around the ear for not standing up... Or being quiet.. but mostly I was expected to sing...

Cali "

look at our football team dont think half would know the words

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 14/05/12 17:09:44]

over a year ago

"one of the problems is the mentioning of GOD. There are many atheists/agnostics and those who have no real interest in religion. The anthem doesn't really stir much emotion in many people. "

The thing about God is if it means something to you, you embrace it, and if it means nothing, you ignore it. I'm an atheist but I still go to weddings, funerals and christenings. The religious apsect of means nothing to me whatsoever but I go to show my support for people that mean something to me.

In the National Anthem, the inclusion of God doesn't mean anything to me but the song is indicative of how I feel about my country so even though I don't stand up for it (unless I'm in a public place and everyone else does, but I'd feel a bit silly standing to attention in my own living room) it still strikes pride in me when I hear it.

over a year ago

Cali

So the National Anthem should be changed to accommodate the minority who aren't Royalists to the detriment of the majority who are?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

agreed. Land Of Hope And Glory gets my vote. I can imagine that being sung with pride

Try telling all the men and women that have given there lives to enable the peoples including yourselves of this nation to live in freedom without repression

Who took the king ( now queens shilling ) when they go inti battle they fight for yes queen and country. As I did and many others like me bowing of heads is not just for royalty it's for every man woman and child of this great British country.

In the same context this is the reason we bow our heads at our fallen and what adorns the cofin the flag of our and what is a greater representaion of that flag if not our queen

"

I'm never swayed by jingoistic shite.

over a year ago

"

I'm never swayed by jingoistic shite.

"

Its nice to have the freedom of speach to call the post shite.....defended and protected by the lives of servicemen like my chris and the poster above both of whom I know are former Royal Marine Commandos. I doubt any ex servicman would expect a thankyou....but I find that attitude "shite"

Post new Message to Thread