Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Scariest happening on a plane journey.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

For me it was on my first, a commercial flight.

Looking at my surroundings seeing condensation drops on the ceiling and thinking how did they get in here? Had me wondering about the planes seams...I had to point it out (just in case) to a Stewardess, she said all is normal.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A guy kicked off big style on a flight from Turkey to London, he punches a stewardess square in the face, had to be restrained and then we landed in Munich and the German police basically trussed him up like a turkey and took him off. Pretty scary though as he was massive

over a year ago

The air con came on and smoke started coming out of the ceiling of the plane. I didnt know what it was and was absolutely terrified. Im so scared of flying and flown once in 14 years x

over a year ago

Emergency landing in Dublin on our way back from new York due to the planes sensors detecting a fire.It turned out to be gasses from fruit in the cargo area that made the sensors give false readings

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

On a business trip back from Belfast to Liverpool.

The cross winds were so bad we landed on one wheel and the wingtip was only a foot off the ground

How the pilot manged to level is off i'll never know

over a year ago

"On a business trip back from Belfast to Liverpool.

The cross winds were so bad we landed on one wheel and the wingtip was only a foot off the ground

How the pilot manged to level is off i'll never know "

Had much the same into Zurich, I actually found it quite exciting. But when the engines throttle back just after take-off, I think they've died and so will I. EVERY TIME

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

Fell out once.

over a year ago

This post makes me never want to fly again

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"Fell out once."

Hahaha

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I was in Turkey when XL airlines went bust a week into my holiday , so I had to get an emergency flight home .

I think it was Chad Airlines or some other shithole airlines .

The flight home was fucking terrifying.

The whole plane looked like it had been assembled by a bunch of six year olds with a roll of sellatape

I swear I saw a couple of goats wandering in and out the isles too .

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

At Tenerife South airport about 4 years ago. The departure board announced our (Ryanair) flight was delayed, so I went to the bar. 5 mins later and with a full pint in my hand they announced that it would be departing from Tenerife North airport.

We were all marched out onto the tarmac, did a lap around where the plane should have been, and back into the airport. Through arrivals and out onto a coach which drove up to the other airport. The time was now about 2am and as Tenerife North is a military and cargo airport it was completely shut. We walked straight through what felt like an abandoned airport and on to the plane. I didn’t spill a drop.

Why is this scary? Well Tenerife North is the site of the biggest single loss of life in an air accident. And since the mid-70s has been banned from having international passenger flights. Inconceivably the plane still managed to land their and Ryanair refused to acknowledge what to everyone seemed like a pretty obvious ballsup. Rather than take off and fly to the correct airport they made up some bullshit about wind-sheer to avoid paying compensation. They also needlessly bussed 200 people nearly 50 miles at nighttime

Depending on how you view the threat of terrorism, everyone being able to board an aircraft without any security, and me with a full pint (I just wanted to see what would happen), you might think this is the most reckless series of events you’ve ever heard.

Side note: 2 hours earlier I was talking to a kitesurfing instructor a mile from the airport and he told me that there would definitely be no change in wind speed or direction for the next week

over a year ago

Flying back at night in winter from exercise from Norway in a Hercules transport plane, loaded with 3 land rovers and trailers. Last trailer is on the ramp at back..half way home a Jerry can in said trailer starts leaking (pissing) 20 litres of petrol as rubber seal had perished..trailer has drainage holes so fuel filling back of plane directly..this is what we call ' a bad thing' told to strap in as back ramp lowered at 25 000 feet as they drain excess fuel out. It's quite nippy at this height at best of times, never mind with a massive draught blowing though aircraft! At one point the aircrew were going to cut the straps holding trailer and kick it out mid flight. The problem was it was my trailer with all my kit/ duty free hidden in there.. Luckily trailer was saved and I lived to drink the duty free!

By *uddleWithCraigMan
over a year ago

Wolverhampton or Travels

Flying in a thunderstorm and seeing the lightning in the sky

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

It was my first night fight and I smelt burning.

I told the stewardess who proceeded to make checks.

I was shitting myself until she came back and said it was the ovens!

over a year ago

Flight from Cardiff to Maga life in 2008. Night before the Joe Calzaghe boxing match and these guys had been shouting “Go on Joe” for best part of 2 hours. One guy had enough and started arguing which turned into a full in fight in the aisle and when we were about to descend and land. They were both arrested coming off the plane.

over a year ago

Maga life! Magaluf, stupid predictive text.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

S - not a plane flight, but an offshore chopper flight. Travelling not long after a fatal accident had happened in the same area and the flight I was on hit turbulence and the chopper dropped about 10ft with no warning. Glad I no longer commute to work like that

By *avenTinaCouple
over a year ago

Southport

As a 12 year old flying alone from what was Rhodesia to Johanosburg the plane was hijacked, fotunatly most of the other passengers were Rhodesian soldiers going on leave, must of been the shortest hijacking in history

By *enn68Man
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I've have two both flying to and from Oz

First one was a bloke drank whole bottle over vodka was abusive to plane staff who not had good english so ask me to talk to man so I gently whispered in his ear if he didn't shut up I would push him out the door .

Second was flight home same sort of thing on a Malaysian airlines bloke hit a stewardess so I stepped in he got arsy couple lads from Nottingham behind me helped him to another seat at back of plane wear captain handcuffed him to seat.

Both arrested on landing .

over a year ago

Hitting wingtips at the top of a formation loop...we both got down ok.

Helicopter gearbox deciding to dump it's oil, emergency landing.

Skidding sideways landing on a wet grass airstrip.

I love flying. I'll probably die flying..

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I was on a small plane, fewer than 10 of us, a very rough flight. The pilot told us he had doubts that we'd make it, he didn't think we would. I applaud his honesty but it didn't help as everyone was already being sick. I was nervous as hell and tried to remain calm.

over a year ago

"Flying back at night in winter from exercise from Norway in a Hercules transport plane, loaded with 3 land rovers and trailers. Last trailer is on the ramp at back..half way home a Jerry can in said trailer starts leaking (pissing) 20 litres of petrol as rubber seal had perished..trailer has drainage holes so fuel filling back of plane directly..this is what we call ' a bad thing' told to strap in as back ramp lowered at 25 000 feet as they drain excess fuel out. It's quite nippy at this height at best of times, never mind with a massive draught blowing though aircraft! At one point the aircrew were going to cut the straps holding trailer and kick it out mid flight. The problem was it was my trailer with all my kit/ duty free hidden in there.. Luckily trailer was saved and I lived to drink the duty free!"

How you forget these things! Just after the Falklands War I was flying jollies with a Nimrod Squadron in Scotland. On one trip we had an engine failure on take off, so the pilot stuck it down and stood on the brakes, which overheated and ignited fuel dripping from the vents. So we took the spare instead. These aircraft had been hastily retrofitted for air to air refueling and just had a big pipe that ran from a probe behind the cockpit along the floor to the tanks. In flight I noticed leaks which the crew said was quite normal!

over a year ago

used to fly alot,so have a few, think 3 or 4 long haul a week,but the one that sticks in my mind was going from orlando to london, plane drops ,as i later learnt 10 thousand ft , we has just been given our meal, que food everywhere, people screaming, it felt like we were falling, got home safe to

By *illy999TV/TS
over a year ago

Taunton

"Flying back at night in winter from exercise from Norway in a Hercules transport plane, loaded with 3 land rovers and trailers. Last trailer is on the ramp at back..half way home a Jerry can in said trailer starts leaking (pissing) 20 litres of petrol as rubber seal had perished..trailer has drainage holes so fuel filling back of plane directly..this is what we call ' a bad thing' told to strap in as back ramp lowered at 25 000 feet as they drain excess fuel out. It's quite nippy at this height at best of times, never mind with a massive draught blowing though aircraft! At one point the aircrew were going to cut the straps holding trailer and kick it out mid flight. The problem was it was my trailer with all my kit/ duty free hidden in there.. Luckily trailer was saved and I lived to drink the duty free!

How you forget these things! Just after the Falklands War I was flying jollies with a Nimrod Squadron in Scotland. On one trip we had an engine failure on take off, so the pilot stuck it down and stood on the brakes, which overheated and ignited fuel dripping from the vents. So we took the spare instead. These aircraft had been hastily retrofitted for air to air refueling and just had a big pipe that ran from a probe behind the cockpit along the floor to the tanks. In flight I noticed leaks which the crew said was quite normal! "

I think the work was done by "private " contractors. Did they fly out of Kinloss ?

over a year ago

The pilot the co pilot and the flight engineer were all called Rodger

over a year ago

Apart from almost every flight from manchester to northern ireland (if you've been on flybe propeller planes you'll know what i mean!) Flying back from germany through storm desmond. Ipads were flying out of peoples hands the plane was bouncing around that much. The woman sat next to me started crying and i had to console here whilst being terrified myself! Sorted my hangover out tho!!

over a year ago

On the way back from Prague, hit some turbulence that made the plane drop suddenly a few hundred feet. Felt as if I'd lost my sandwich I'd eaten 15 mins earlier back up at 30.000ft.

By *inky CyclerMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Nothing anywhere as bad as compared to previous posts but did have the pleasure of flying into Kai Tak, old Hong Kong airport, as a teenager. As we boarded my Dad asked the stewardess which side to look out to see the the flats and she said it didn't matter. Two hours into the flight a kid started crying and kept going till we landed As soon as we hit the tarmac the pilot hit the brakes and reverse thrusters and a bottle of water from several rows back came shoting up the aisle of the aircraft.

By *vcarolTV/TS
over a year ago

kilmarnockish

Just a few:

Flying into Chicago, hit turbulence que seat belt sign 2 seconds before we drop ( free fall) say 6000ft. Stewardess hit the ceiling then bounced off floor... shaken not stirred.

Dumbass pilot scuffed tail on takeoff, then makes balls up of landing.... fully laden -8 cargo conversion...

Years ( way pre 9-11) ago, alcoholic pilot fast asleep ( p.ssed out his box) in the left seat, 1st officer stuck in loo, engineer ( yes that long ago!) who was new into job..... all goes Pete tong when master caution goes off.....

Pilot flying into low sun misses runway...... as can’t see due to sun in his eyes.... was getting tiresome on the 4th attempt...... same flight replacement pilot had option fly direct into massive storm option a) or take 2 hour detour option b) . option a) after the first hour of up / down/ sideways/ hit by lightning....

Then there’s helicopters.... quote - “ What bullet holes....”

over a year ago

I’ve been in a plane when hit by lightening, there was a huge bang I nearly dropped my drink all down me.

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"I’ve been in a plane when hit by lightening, there was a huge bang I nearly dropped my drink all down me. "

That happened to me. I was on a BOAC Comet IV flying into Rome through a thunderstorm. Burnt a home in the fin....!!

over a year ago

I had to sit next to my wife all the way to Orlando

over a year ago

"The pilot the co pilot and the flight engineer were all called Rodger "

Rodger Rodger, what's your Vector Victor - eh ? Ugh ?

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Had quite a few interesting airport and flying related journeys

Off the top of my head they've included

Plane hit an air pocket(I think that's what it's called and dropped for what seemed like ages)

Approached a German airport sideways in high winds before straightening up just before touchdown.

Guns fired in Africa

Mass fight and plane had to divert to another airport.

Engines set on fire on approach to Italian airport and fire engine raced alongside us when we landed to put them out

Note to fellow fabsters, if you see me on a plane it's probably best to get off

over a year ago

Mine was just a Virgin Atlantic commercial flight, think it was to Hong Kong if memory serves me correctly. I’ve flown long haul very regularly for over 20 years but i still can be nervous with turbulence etc. I remember being rather worried

By *uff the Boner!Man
over a year ago

SWANSEA

For me, coming back to Stansted airport from Greece back in the late 90's. We hit a major storm and the plane plummeted at least, it felt 100 feet, everyone men, women and children screamed. We all thought we was going to "bite the big one" I never felt so good as when we was on Terra Firma. Only then to see lightening hitting either side of the road home in the car. It was a real humdinger!

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

I forgot to have breakfast once and had to have the Ryanair ‘sandwich of the month’

over a year ago

Flying back from Gran Canaria , hit bad turbulence , they announced that the plane was going to do a drop to try and get under the turbulence, my god that was the closest I felt to dying , I had a stranger sat next to me holding my hand , people were crying , praying etc was horrible

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Once on my way back from working in New York - there was a suggestion that they had run out of my favourite Sancerre. Thankfully the trolley dolly found another case. Don’t you just hate it when things like that happen in 1st class?

Those were the days. Happy man if I never fly again.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/03/20 18:55:55]

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"I forgot to have breakfast once and had to have the Ryanair ‘sandwich of the month’"

Is that the one that's been there a month that looks dry and past it's best ?

over a year ago

Flying back to gatwick from marrakech about 15 years ago. My them girlfriend was recovering from an eating disorder. Flight was delayed by about 4 hours, we'd changed the last of our cash back to Stirling before they announced the delay and at that time everywhere in Morocco only dealt with cash. We were flying with BA and had reserved vegetarian meals. Stroppy little cow of a stewardess told us no vegetarian options as people had complained about the meat option on the way out so they'd given them out. We complained pointed out that we had checked in 6 hours ago, hadn't eaten and were looking at a 4 hour flight with no food. Was told to eat meat or go hungry with a withering look at my girlfriend said "it's not like your going to waste away is it" which hit all sort of triggers and prompted a massive panic attack. Trust me you dont want to be on a plane with someone having a panic attack particularly when that person's primary response to a panic attack is flight and they cannot run away. Other people near us intervened checking she was okay and calling out the stewardess which only exacerbated the panic attack. Moved to first class to get her away from people, selfish fuckers in first class moaning that we're there despite having stewardesses with us trying to calm down my girlfriend. The co-pilot asking me if I was being serious when I suggested the best way to deal would be an emergency landing so she could disembark... Yeah that was a stressful flight

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

"I forgot to have breakfast once and had to have the Ryanair ‘sandwich of the month’

Is that the one that's been there a month that looks dry and past it's best ?"

I was once on a flight where the steward was on his last day in the job. His announcement over the tannoy was..

‘Shortly I’ll be coming down the aisle to give you the opportunity to buy a range of hot and cold drinks and snacks. Including our “sandwich of the month”, which this month is ham and cheese, as it has been for the last 4 years that I’ve worked for this airline’

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Internal flight in Nigeria.

We were coming into land when the drinks trolly started trundling down the cabin, it was almost as if it was in slow motion.

Hit the pilots door with a right crash.

Pilot hit the power into very steep assent, to which the trolley started trundling back down the cabin.

There were some very loud words in the telephone exchange between the captain tothe cabin crew as he turned the plane to line up again for landing.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"As a 12 year old flying alone from what was Rhodesia to Johanosburg the plane was hijacked, fotunatly most of the other passengers were Rhodesian soldiers going on leave, must of been the shortest hijacking in history"

Bloody hell, that must have scared the life out of you!

over a year ago

We overshot the runway landing in Paris in bad weather and was told to brace. It was pretty scary.

Took a flight from Southampton to Amsterdam in a thunder storm. The small plane was all over the place and we all clapped when it landed because we really thought we were going to die.

A flight to Corsica and hit horrendous freaky weather. We tried to land twice in Calvi but had to abort and ended up in Ajaccio. I absolutely freaked out, thought we were going to crash.

I've not been lucky. I don't like flying now. It's too scary.

By *avenTinaCouple
over a year ago

Southport

"As a 12 year old flying alone from what was Rhodesia to Johanosburg the plane was hijacked, fotunatly most of the other passengers were Rhodesian soldiers going on leave, must of been the shortest hijacking in history

Bloody hell, that must have scared the life out of you!"

funnily enough I don't recall being scared, the plane returned to Salisbury, removed the terrorists and took off again I missed my connecting flight to London, I remember the airline phoning my dad and putting me in a hotel for the night

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Trying to land it....

over a year ago

"Flying back at night in winter from exercise from Norway in a Hercules transport plane, loaded with 3 land rovers and trailers. Last trailer is on the ramp at back..half way home a Jerry can in said trailer starts leaking (pissing) 20 litres of petrol as rubber seal had perished..trailer has drainage holes so fuel filling back of plane directly..this is what we call ' a bad thing' told to strap in as back ramp lowered at 25 000 feet as they drain excess fuel out. It's quite nippy at this height at best of times, never mind with a massive draught blowing though aircraft! At one point the aircrew were going to cut the straps holding trailer and kick it out mid flight. The problem was it was my trailer with all my kit/ duty free hidden in there.. Luckily trailer was saved and I lived to drink the duty free!

How you forget these things! Just after the Falklands War I was flying jollies with a Nimrod Squadron in Scotland. On one trip we had an engine failure on take off, so the pilot stuck it down and stood on the brakes, which overheated and ignited fuel dripping from the vents. So we took the spare instead. These aircraft had been hastily retrofitted for air to air refueling and just had a big pipe that ran from a probe behind the cockpit along the floor to the tanks. In flight I noticed leaks which the crew said was quite normal!

I think the work was done by "private " contractors. Did they fly out of Kinloss ? "

Yes, I've got some really nice slides of Kiev and her escorts in the North Sea. I assumed it would be all high tech shit (even for 1982), but they just pulled in a window and shot through the gap! Luckily I had taken my own camera.

Post new Message to Thread