Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Greenflag

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Why are they so cheap compared to the AA or RAC?

Would i get a rubbish breakdown service if i went with them? I know people say 'you get what you pay for' but the green flag is about 50% of the price of the AA

Any experiences and advice greatly received xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I was with green flag and they were great both times I broke down only changed cos new cover came with insurance.

By *ady n the trampCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

we used to have greenflag as it was free with the car insurance and didnt have any probs with them. they are cheaper because they are a smaller operation than the AA or RAC

over a year ago

just wondering if there is some kind of snag...

over a year ago

"just wondering if there is some kind of snag...

"

Didn't find any and as a woman alone both times I broke down they kept in touch to make sure I was ok which I thought was great.

over a year ago

not that i know of... think the offer is still going at lloyds bank, take on a basic account and get free AA cover while ever you have it.

but no probs with green flag, think the difference is that they use a series of garages all over the uk instead of having dedicated patrols

over a year ago

Just be careful as our daughter was with them when she first learnt to drive. She had to call them out one time at work it was then the guy told her she was only just within the coverage area!!! Probably her fault for not reading the policy properly though. Just before this she had gone to London to visit friends thinking she was covered luckily she got there and back safely, turned out she was only covered for a fifteen mile radius of home.

over a year ago

"Just be careful as our daughter was with them when she first learnt to drive. She had to call them out one time at work it was then the guy told her she was only just within the coverage area!!! Probably her fault for not reading the policy properly though. Just before this she had gone to London to visit friends thinking she was covered luckily she got there and back safely, turned out she was only covered for a fifteen mile radius of home. "

I had to be recovered from heathrow and live in Essex so def more than 15 miles away suppose it depends on plan , I got mine with insurance.

over a year ago

This was a few years ago now, but didn't want someone to find out the hard way that's all.

over a year ago

"This was a few years ago now, but didn't want someone to find out the hard way that's all."

It's good to know these things so people can check what cover they do have

over a year ago

see id go for the maximum kinda recovery option as i travel all over at times.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

With good use of discounts and cashback sites, it's possible to get even the more expensive breakdown cover at lower cost.

Eg, atm, you can get up to £60 cashback for RAC or AA cover, and £20 for Green Flag recovery cover - and this is just via one cashback site, which I won't name, due to site advertising policy.

I always check for possible cashback before purchasing anything online, and have saved tons of money. Whilst it's never 100% guaranteed, if you're going to buy something anyway, and it's the right deal, then it's a bonus when you almost invariably do get it.

There are also regular promotions on this sort of service too, so I never buy without research.

over a year ago

o0o0o ta for the tip sophie

over a year ago

Only used them once to date. They had my car recovered from an accident within 20 minutes of ringing, and they dropped my off home. Noooo complaints so far

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I was with Green Flag for years until they were bought out by Direct Insurance.

Are you saying Green Flag still exist ?

over a year ago

Yep, they rescued me two weeks ago.

over a year ago

check your bank account cos a load come with free green flag cover ........

over a year ago

just a quick update on the Greenflag thing.. i phoned up the AA today to cancel the policy which currently cost me and my grandad (joint policy) £270 and when they asked why i was leave them for the green flag, suddenly the same cover cost us £120.

Great saving of £150

By *smWoman
over a year ago

Liskeard

"just a quick update on the Greenflag thing.. i phoned up the AA today to cancel the policy which currently cost me and my grandad (joint policy) £270 and when they asked why i was leave them for the green flag, suddenly the same cover cost us £120.

Great saving of £150

"

thats great cute, always ring the company your thinking of leaving, 9 times out of ten they give you a better deal... but not always lol

over a year ago

"just a quick update on the Greenflag thing.. i phoned up the AA today to cancel the policy which currently cost me and my grandad (joint policy) £270 and when they asked why i was leave them for the green flag, suddenly the same cover cost us £120.

Great saving of £150

thats great cute, always ring the company your thinking of leaving, 9 times out of ten they give you a better deal... but not always lol "

i regret telling him that our new policy would cost us £60 each... lol

Wondered how low the guy would have dropped it too if id have kept my gob shut

over a year ago

we have the AA as we get a good deal from work but green flag are good x

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

am with the AA, on a friends policy, she paid full price, but got an offer where she could add someone living at her address for an extra £5 a year (so we lied and told them i was her partner and got it)

NOt sure if they still do the offer, but they still only charge her a fiver fro me to be on it.

One thing to watch out for with breakdown cover is some companies only cover the one car,

where as with AA its YOU thats covered so even if youo are a passenger in the car that breaks down they will still come out

over a year ago

hey _eighleeds not seen you post for ages hope you've been well.

Yeah i'm aware that its me as the driver who is covered.

over a year ago

Mine came with my natwest gold account and i paid a little bit extra to get the comprehensive cover. Worked out a lot cheaper than the rest of them.

over a year ago

"Mine came with my natwest gold account and i paid a little bit extra to get the comprehensive cover. Worked out a lot cheaper than the rest of them."

i had a gold account for a while but £17.99 a month just for that. only took it out as i wanted cheaper contents insurance on my flat

over a year ago

mines 12.95 and that covers my phone insurance aswell

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"hey _eighleeds not seen you post for ages hope you've been well.

Yeah i'm aware that its me as the driver who is covered. "

heyya i am around and well thank you, just working to damn hard

just checked the greenflag site and they cover the vehicle not the person, unless you take the personal cover option

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"Why are they so cheap compared to the AA or RAC?

Would i get a rubbish breakdown service if i went with them? I know people say 'you get what you pay for' but the green flag is about 50% of the price of the AA

Any experiences and advice greatly received xx"

AA's chief selling point used to be that you always got an AA employee coming out to do the rescue - Green Flag used to use locla garages / recovery firms on an agency basis.

As above, all prices are negotiable... Paying full price for AA cover is criminal negligence....

over a year ago

Just check the covers to make sure they are the dame. A quick heads up, the AA won't recovery your. vehicle after an accident, ad they are not recovery operators, they are a breakdown company. The same goes for RAC.

over a year ago

"Just check the covers to make sure they are the dame. A quick heads up, the AA won't recovery your. vehicle after an accident, ad they are not recovery operators, they are a breakdown company. The same goes for RAC. "

im not planning on having any accidents.

ive got pretty much top cover for AA 'rodeside relay, home start, stay mobile'

but will check on the accident front about recovery

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

i worked for greenflag for a few years and i can honestly say they are a good company to be covered with,just check which policy you get though because some only cover you for 10 mile radius

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

"Why are they so cheap compared to the AA or RAC?

Any experiences and advice greatly received xx

AA's chief selling point used to be that you always got an AA employee coming out to do the rescue - Green Flag used to use locla garages / recovery firms on an agency basis.

As above, all prices are negotiable... Paying full price for AA cover is criminal negligence...."

not always a great selling point, as you can be waiting a hell of a long time for one of their patrols to be freed up from another job.

at least if a company has a few local garages in their pockets they can usually get someone to you in a very short time.

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

greenflag used to guarantee within the hour,and with the right cover they will recover you either to home or a garage of your choice.

hope this helps

over a year ago

crap and totally useless would never use again or reccommend

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Well, there is always one who doesn't like em! But look at the number who do...

GreenFlag do breakdown cover for a few insurance companies.. Next time anyone is looking for cover, look at the prices for Asda! £130 for the full package including full European cover!

We always use GreenFlag, ever since we broke down in the South of France and were mobile within the hour! One call to the UK and within ten minutes a guy arrived in the Naturist Quarter of Cap d'Agde. Great service and I would challenge either the RAC or AA to match what they do!

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"

One call to the UK and within ten minutes a guy arrived in the Naturist Quarter of Cap d'Agde. Great service and I would challenge either the RAC or AA to match what they do!"

Bet he hated getting given that job eh?

over a year ago

i used to be with green flag, they were brill the 2 times i needed them, but they then doubled the cost for me, so i changed then to aa

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"

One call to the UK and within ten minutes a guy arrived in the Naturist Quarter of Cap d'Agde. Great service and I would challenge either the RAC or AA to match what they do!

Bet he hated getting given that job eh? "

He did say there was a fight as to who was called out! He was the boss, so he got to choose who went! The people at the garage were looking a bit "knowingly" at us though lol

Post new Message to Thread