Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

30 years

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

30 years ago today I was a Guardsman with the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards. On the 12th may 1982 we joined 5 Brigade and headed south to the Falkland islands. RIP my brothers in arms, you will never be forgotten.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"30 years ago today I was a Guardsman with the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards. On the 12th may 1982 we joined 5 Brigade and headed south to the Falkland islands. RIP my brothers in arms, you will never be forgotten."

+1

over a year ago

Sad times back then it would be far better to have no war but those who defend us deserve respect.

over a year ago

"30 years ago today I was a Guardsman with the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards. On the 12th may 1982 we joined 5 Brigade and headed south to the Falkland islands. RIP my brothers in arms, you will never be forgotten."

+1

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Sad times back then it would be far better to have no war but those who defend us deserve respect. "

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

"30 years ago today I was a Guardsman with the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards. On the 12th may 1982 we joined 5 Brigade and headed south to the Falkland islands. RIP my brothers in arms, you will never be forgotten.

+1 "

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"30 years ago today I was a Guardsman with the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards. On the 12th may 1982 we joined 5 Brigade and headed south to the Falkland islands. RIP my brothers in arms, you will never be forgotten.

+1

"

+1

over a year ago

and we thank you,we are but sheep master,we will follow.xxxx

over a year ago

I remember the day news broke about the Falklands was working in tesco at time and they had the radio on so we knew what was going on. The shop just went silent and people hugged each other. R. I. P. and thank you xx

over a year ago

Chris joined 42 Commando as a recruit in 83, Not an easy time to be a new guy with such losses. He always pays his respects on remembrance day, and today we offer our respect. "per mare per terram"

over a year ago

It was about that time that I was demonstrating against the Falklands War, one of the most shameful episodes in British History. It made me think of a boy who was the toughest boy at school for a long time, but was then bettered by others and to show how tough he still was, picked a fight with a much smaller boy with glasses.

Frankly I have no respect for the soldiers who fought in it, and I have no respect for the people who were stupid enough to believe Thatcher's propaganda and to start waving their flags as professional British soldiers killed seventeen year old conscripts .

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

like yourself, 30 years ago, i was lying on my back with a drink in my hands.

mind, i was a toddler and you were probably getting d*unk lol.

RIP to all fallen hero's from the conflict.

fingers crossed there is no repeat.

over a year ago

"Sad times back then it would be far better to have no war but those who defend us deserve respect. "

They didn't defend 'us'. Argentina wasn't threatening 'us' at all.

over a year ago

"like yourself, 30 years ago, i was lying on my back with a drink in my hands.

fingers crossed there is no repeat."

There was nothing heroic about well-armed, well trained professional soldiers killing badly armed, badly trained seventeen conscripts. It was a pathetic and shameful affair .

over a year ago

There was nothing heroic about well-armed, well trained professional soldiers killing badly armed, badly trained seventeen conscripts. It was a pathetic and shameful affair ."

Now you need to go and do some reading instead of believing all the left-wing shite you seem to be reading at the moment.

British Troops came up against some very well trained and heavily armed Argentine forces in the battle for Goose Green, and we took some heavily casualties in the process.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/05/12 18:57:36]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/05/12 18:58:21]

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 12/05/12 18:58:21]"

Are you trying to say something wetnwild?

By *cottishsexgoddessWoman
over a year ago

Glenrothes

There was nothing heroic about well-armed, well trained professional soldiers killing badly armed, badly trained seventeen conscripts. It was a pathetic and shameful affair ."

Our forces have no choice but to go where and when they are ordered to. And Argentina wasn't that poor in arms and equipment given what happened to the various ships that were hit, particularly the Galahad. It was by luck and the sheer grace of God that the British forces didn't come off much worse. Many of us will have lost someone to armed conflict throughout the ages from WWI to present day. Honouring and respecting their sacrifice seems a small thing to do.

over a year ago

There was nothing heroic about well-armed, well trained professional soldiers killing badly armed, badly trained seventeen conscripts. It was a pathetic and shameful affair i joined army in 1984 and served in royal artillery with men who were there,when you have heard what i have you will stop talking bollocks and respect these young men who will die protecting idiots like you."

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Thatcher was a warmonger who like all of her kind didnt give a toss for the soldiers but they went and did what they had to do and I do have a lot of respect for past and present forces if not for the politicians.

over a year ago

yes, sorry, i served in royal artillery in 1984, and when people hear what i heard of men who were there, you will respect them., and stop talking left wing shit, these young men will die protecting you in this country ,so think on!!

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

There were so may caualties from the Galalhad because the stupid officers didnt give the order to them ashore thus leaving them in grave danger as we all know.

over a year ago

Glenrothes

"yes, sorry, i served in royal artillery in 1984, and when people hear what i heard of men who were there, you will respect them., and stop talking left wing shit, these young men will die protecting you in this country ,so think on!!"

I have several friends who served at that time and were there at Goose Green and also taking the casualties off the Galahad. They still cannot talk about it without choking up.

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

And my dad was along side you!!! So I know exactly what you mean

over a year ago

"Sad times back then it would be far better to have no war but those who defend us deserve respect.

They didn't defend 'us'. Argentina wasn't threatening 'us' at all.

"

Argentina had invaded us ! The Falkland Islands are ours, they where then ,they are now, and they always will be.

Uk forces did what they had to do then as they still do today.

over a year ago

spain gave them to us,they didnt want them

over a year ago

Am I missing the point here, did the Argentinian military, under the orders of their leader Galtieri not invade the Falkland Islands. So guess that we should just have ignored their aggression then. Allowed them to force british citizens to become Argentinian, or worse killed the islanders.

Are we not supposed to protect our country and it's people. The Falkland Islanders are British, along with the Islands themselves. The Islanders were asked whether they wanted to remain British, which they did hence a task force being sent to deal with Argentina's invasion.

There were a large number of highly trained Argentinian troops who were dug in, in and around Goose Green, Mount Longdon. Are we to be criticised, by sending our highly trained troops, to deal with the threat, surely the idea behind all the training is that professionalism is the key to victory, in the shortest space of time, with the least amount of casualties.

The so called conscripts, were armed and did in fact kill a number of our troops, so to say they were ill equipped and badly trained, in neither here nor there, they still had weapons and still fired them and still killed our troops. So what are we supposed to do. Allow them to randomly kill our troops and for us not to retaliate cause the were not highly trained, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

What about the Mirage jets that used exocet missile's and sunk some of our ships, hardly smacks of ill prepared or under armed conscripts. Our soldiers were and are exceptionally brave and courageous, and continue to display their exceptional professionalism in defending our country and it's interests. Anybody who has or is serving in our armed forces will give the ultimate sacrifice for us, you me all of us, when called upon to do it, yet you find it worthy of saying they are barbaric for being professional and killing the enemy soldier. Sadly war is never pretty and there are always casualties but non the less our soldiers do a fantastic, outstanding service to us all. I for one applauded our troops when they liberated the Falkland Islands from the Argentinians. War is never right, but it happens and will continue to happen, but we at least ought to have the decency of supporting our brave troops.

over a year ago

Glenrothes

"

Am I missing the point here, did the Argentinian military, under the orders of their leader Galtieri not invade the Falkland Islands. So guess that we should just have ignored their aggression then. Allowed them to force british citizens to become Argentinian, or worse killed the islanders.

Are we not supposed to protect our country and it's people. The Falkland Islanders are British, along with the Islands themselves. The Islanders were asked whether they wanted to remain British, which they did hence a task force being sent to deal with Argentina's invasion.

There were a large number of highly trained Argentinian troops who were dug in, in and around Goose Green, Mount Longdon. Are we to be criticised, by sending our highly trained troops, to deal with the threat, surely the idea behind all the training is that professionalism is the key to victory, in the shortest space of time, with the least amount of casualties.

The so called conscripts, were armed and did in fact kill a number of our troops, so to say they were ill equipped and badly trained, in neither here nor there, they still had weapons and still fired them and still killed our troops. So what are we supposed to do. Allow them to randomly kill our troops and for us not to retaliate cause the were not highly trained, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

What about the Mirage jets that used exocet missile's and sunk some of our ships, hardly smacks of ill prepared or under armed conscripts. Our soldiers were and are exceptionally brave and courageous, and continue to display their exceptional professionalism in defending our country and it's interests. Anybody who has or is serving in our armed forces will give the ultimate sacrifice for us, you me all of us, when called upon to do it, yet you find it worthy of saying they are barbaric for being professional and killing the enemy soldier. Sadly war is never pretty and there are always casualties but non the less our soldiers do a fantastic, outstanding service to us all. I for one applauded our troops when they liberated the Falkland Islands from the Argentinians. War is never right, but it happens and will continue to happen, but we at least ought to have the decency of supporting our brave troops. "

over a year ago

well written, and its the bravery of you older soldiers that continues our sons to carry on joining and being brave and courageous, things they value, respect to all our armed forces now and previous, thank you xx

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

oh my word, some people on here need to start having anal sex, so they cant talk.

By *he tactile technicianMan
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

My hat comes off to you Keven 48, all your comrades, and to all veterans, whether I agree with the conflict, the reason behind such agression or otherwise, you deserve my respect, and you have it!

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

It was about that time that I was demonstrating against the Falklands War, one of the most shameful episodes in British History. It made me think of a boy who was the toughest boy at school for a long time, but was then bettered by others and to show how tough he still was, picked a fight with a much smaller boy with glasses.

Frankly I have no respect for the soldiers who fought in it, and I have no respect for the people who were stupid enough to believe Thatcher's propaganda and to start waving their flags as professional British soldiers killed seventeen year old conscripts .

"

You should hang your head in shame

By *ovedupstillCouple
over a year ago

mullinwire

"

next time you decide to object to someone questioning the sovereinty of our citizens, i sincerely hope you are there with a gun, on the frontline, and refuse to fire because the enemy arent as well equipped or as trained as our troops, and see how long your protests protect you against a bullet in the gut.

yes, there are wars that have NOTHING to do with us (a few of the recent ones and Vietnam spring t mind) but the Falklands was ALL about us.

im too young to remember it and even i know that.

i feel sickened by your attitude

over a year ago

I think we're giving this guy too much attention and it's detracting from what was intended to be a display of rememberance for fallen heroes.

I salute British Armed Forces wherever they are in the world and for keeping me and my family safe from those who would kill me because they don't know me.

Thank you.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Frankly I have no respect for the soldiers who fought in it, and I have no respect for the people who were stupid enough to believe Thatcher's propaganda and to start waving their flags as professional British soldiers killed seventeen year old conscripts.

"

Can i ask you why you post in the forums at all, all you seem to do is troll....?

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Having been in Afghanistan for over a year (mod civilian and not in the danger our troops were) We realy only get half the story back in the UK,those guys go through more than you think and as such I will always respect them whether I believe the war is right or wrong as they have to do the job either way.

over a year ago

ANY soldier past or present gets our support and any that have fallen should be remembered and so should ex service.

Some people are too ignorant to understand what the forces go through to protect us all.

By *obinhood-maidmarionCouple
over a year ago

Worksop

argentina had not invaded us at all, they had invaded the falkland islands (which belonged to us)

However people who say argentina had a decenat army are sadly mistaken, it took exactly 74 days to defeat a whole country!

In all honesty though I massively respect and former or currently serving memeber of our armed forces. However I dosagree whole heartedly with this paper propaganda and constant mongering for recognition.

You chose to serve in the army, and knew what was involved, just like a chef decides to bake cakes, or a car cleaner decides tro clean cars!

over a year ago

"I think we're giving this guy too much attention and it's detracting from what was intended to be a display of rememberance for fallen heroes.

I salute British Armed Forces wherever they are in the world and for keeping me and my family safe from those who would kill me because they don't know me.

Thank you."

Very very well said x

over a year ago

i was 1st battalion scots guards! Wasnt old enough to go to falkands, (was still at school, lol) but done 3 tours in ireland and 1 in iraq! I still think of all the friends i lost through the years!!

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

"ANY soldier past or present gets our support and any that have fallen should be remembered and so should ex service.

Some people are too ignorant to understand what the forces go through to protect us all."

too ignorant i reckon too!.

over a year ago

i was 1st battalion scots guards! Wasnt old enough to go to falkands, (was still at school, lol) but done 3 tours in ireland and 1 in iraq! I still think of all the friends i lost through the years!!"

Ive seen you and chelsea dissagree on here but it seems all along she was in good company. I also did 2 tours in ireland, I never saw iraq but I did go to bosnia with the UN peace keeping force. I also have a 19 yr old son who is to deploy to afghanistan for the first time in 2013. I still see faces and places when a memory triggers...usually for me music or oddly some smells and Im back there.

"Lest we forget" Chris.

over a year ago

i was 1st battalion scots guards! Wasnt old enough to go to falkands, (was still at school, lol) but done 3 tours in ireland and 1 in iraq! I still think of all the friends i lost through the years!!

Ive seen you and chelsea dissagree on here but it seems all along she was in good company. I also did 2 tours in ireland, I never saw iraq but I did go to bosnia with the UN peace keeping force. I also have a 19 yr old son who is to deploy to afghanistan for the first time in 2013. I still see faces and places when a memory triggers...usually for me music or oddly some smells and Im back there.

"Lest we forget" Chris."

lol, ye, lets just say we agree to disagree sometimes, lol. Ye, im the same, but with me its faces! Theres never a day goes by without me noticing a face and it reminds me of someone lost to us!!

over a year ago

"Lest we forget" Chris.

lol, ye, lets just say we agree to disagree sometimes, lol. Ye, im the same, but with me its faces! Theres never a day goes by without me noticing a face and it reminds me of someone lost to us!! "

I had it today when the kid 2 doors away came round with his crappy old air rifle as it had lost its power...I repaired it...but it was the oil...one sniff and im there having a quiet moment.

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

The fact that that all happened 30 years ago is quite frightening.

By *orkieMan
over a year ago

Who knows

30 years ago I was a marine engineer apprentice in the Merchant Navy... back in the days when Britain had a merchant fleet before Maggie shafted us better than any porn star.

Myself and a few others volunteered to go down there and crew one of our companys ships which was acting as a supply / replenishment vessel. Unfortunately we werent allowed / refused even though we would have been out of our time and fully trained.

Just wanted to do my bit back in the day

over a year ago

There was nothing heroic about well-armed, well trained professional soldiers killing badly armed, badly trained seventeen conscripts. It was a pathetic and shameful affair .

Now you need to go and do some reading instead of believing all the left-wing shite you seem to be reading at the moment.

British Troops came up against some very well trained and heavily armed Argentine forces in the battle for Goose Green, and we took some heavily casualties in the process. "

well put north xx,and did mr and mrs no it all no that the yanks backed the fucking argies and gave them training and weapons.xx

over a year ago

RIP

Rule Britannia

over a year ago

"The fact that that all happened 30 years ago is quite frightening."

doesn't time fly!

RIP the fallen. You gave your tomorrows for our today.

Wolf

Post new Message to Thread