Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Stupid question

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

But can I still get the car mot?? I use to and from work. But if I can't drive its a long walk.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Work from home ?

over a year ago

Funnily enough I was thinking similar. Cars still need fettling but if the garages are shut down??

A member of my family is a spray painter and he's still working....just

over a year ago

Yes.. You can argue without mot insurance is invalid..

over a year ago

With out insurance you're not legal to drive so it's a must

over a year ago

"Work from home ?"

Buzzword but not practical for most

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Not a choice. I'm NHS.

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Public transport is still running

over a year ago

"Not a choice. I'm NHS. "

Essential to get car motd

over a year ago

Fair point then, if you are NHS I would say you need a car to get to work and a car needs an MOT. Even Boris would support that

By *mworthit156Man
over a year ago

SGlos_Bristol

Possibility of a limited time exemption, until..?

Luckily got one through MoT today, other supposed to be on Friday.

over a year ago

Theres been discussions by the powers at be to issue a temporary mot cover note until the lockdown is lifted so that people can still use their vehicles, nothing set in stone though but keep up to date with the press conferences I'm sure there'll be a lot details being released in the coming days.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Boris said unnecessary shops......

Garages are vital

over a year ago

Same here nhs worker my car was booked for Wednesday and no will not get public transport . They will have to take the car so thats mean i cannot go to work

By *revaunanceCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

At present the DVLA has not suspended MOT's for cars. They have for LGV's and other vehicles but not cars. I think this will change soon though.

Please remember that if you drive a car without an MOT your insurance is invalid, and no one wants an unnecessary brush with the law at the moment.

Give it a day or two and I'm sure this will be addressed by central government.

By *inkyfun2013Couple
over a year ago

lewisham

Garages, petrol stations and bicycle shops are on the list of essential services, so as long as staff are prepared to work and are able to work they will remain open.

I've got 3 work vehicles due for MOTs this week and they're all going ahead.

over a year ago

"But can I still get the car mot?? I use to and from work. But if I can't drive its a long walk. "
no MOT stations all shut its hands on work and theyre filthy

over a year ago

"Garages, petrol stations and bicycle shops are on the list of essential services, so as long as staff are prepared to work and are able to work they will remain open.

I've got 3 work vehicles due for MOTs this week and they're all going ahead. "

I agree. No need for contact really

over a year ago

"Boris said unnecessary shops......

Garages are vital "

they are i mean they take money out your account and you have no idea why

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Garages and mot stations are staying open as they are listed as essential. However car parts are hard to get currently

over a year ago

"But can I still get the car mot?? I use to and from work. But if I can't drive its a long walk. "

They will be bringing in legislation for temporary certificates to cover where MOTs expire during the lockdown. A bit like an insurance Cover Note but for your MOT.

over a year ago

I had one due this week, they called earlier today saying they were cancelling due to coronavirus, not sure where things stand now

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"But can I still get the car mot?? I use to and from work. But if I can't drive its a long walk.

They will be bringing in legislation for temporary certificates to cover where MOTs expire during the lockdown. A bit like an insurance Cover Note but for your MOT."

mot stations have been Told they are staying open.

over a year ago

"But can I still get the car mot?? I use to and from work. But if I can't drive its a long walk.

They will be bringing in legislation for temporary certificates to cover where MOTs expire during the lockdown. A bit like an insurance Cover Note but for your MOT. mot stations have been Told they are staying open."

Different to what I saw, but fair enough. That might be the next step. I could be wrong though, it happened once before

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

It is not a stupid question but a question that has to be asked. As people have stated there will be measures put in place as afterall there will be many in the same boat including ambulances, police cars and buses.

By *ffinfuntMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Try get in touch with dvla if that helps

over a year ago

Do a google search there a form can get to cover the over lap, if can can’t find it drop me a message

over a year ago

It actually states that you should not go to work if it can be done at home. Otherwise you can go to work.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Nick some fucker's pushbike and do a Boris

By *ixSpinWoman
over a year ago

liverpool

I just despair at the nonsense espoused

On here,

NJR xx

over a year ago

Yes MOT centres are still running. They are non contact.

over a year ago

"Yes MOT centres are still running. They are non contact. "

My sisters mot is due tomorrow she’s head of mental health where I live, and she’s got hers in tomorrow at 9!! Her husband is head of mental health in 2 northwest prisons. His is also booked in. My friend booked hers in yesterday no problem

over a year ago

Due to the current situation any MOT’s due have been extended by up to 6 months

over a year ago

"Due to the current situation any MOT’s due have been extended by up to 6 months "

Yes some are. But front line workers are being put forward.

over a year ago

I noticed the ATS garage around the corner from me was open when I went for a walk at lunchtime. On the one hand, that's quite handy for anyone needing work done. On the other hand, I hope they've at least staggered their staff's hours so they've got plenty of space to work. I'd hate to think the poor sods had been coerced into business as usual. Nobody needs to drive *that* badly right now.

By *ichaelsmyMan
over a year ago

douglas

Motorists worried about getting an MOT because of the coronavirus crisis, have been handed a six-month reprieve.

The government has granted car owners a six-month exemption from MOT testing.

However, it won't come in until Monday 30 March which means vehicles due an MOT before then must still take it.

The exemption "will enable vital services such as deliveries to continue, frontline workers to get to work, and people get essential food and medicine," the government said.

The exemption will apply to cars, motorcycles and vans, but the government warned that vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition.

Garages will remain open for essential repair work while drivers will face prosecution if they're caught driving unsafe vehicles.

"We must ensure those on the frontline of helping the nation combat COVID19 are able to do so," said Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

"Safety is key, which is why garages will remain open for essential repair work."

Legally sound

The Department for Transport said the move won't hit any insurance claims during the period because they will be effectively extending MOT certificates meaning they will remain valid for insurance purposes.

The new law will be introduced on 30 March when it will come into immediate effect for 12 months.

What are the new restrictions and why are they needed?

How long can I exercise for? and other questions answered

What's the risk of taking buses or trains?

It is not being introduced immediately because the government said it must ensure regulations are legally sound before coming into force.

That means there will be a short consultation with key organisations before next Monday.

However, drivers will still need to get their vehicle tested until the new regulations come into place if they need to travel.

However, if someone is unable to get an MOT that is due because they are self isolating, the Department for Transport said it is working with insurers and the police to ensure people are not unfairly penalised for things out of their control.

Practical driving tests and annual testing for lorries, buses and coaches have already been suspended for up to three months.

'Exceptional times'

The RAC said the move was a positive one, although drivers must remain responsible.

"We are in exceptional times and that calls for exceptional measures like this," an RAC spokesperson said.

A SIMPLE GUIDE: What are the symptoms?

AVOIDING CONTACT: Should I self-isolate?

STRESS: How to protect your mental health

LOOK-UP TOOL: Check cases in your area

MAPS AND CHARTS: Visual guide to the outbreak

VIDEO: The 20-second hand wash

"But it's vital every driver remembers the roadworthiness of their car is their responsibility. If they know it's got problems or was likely to fail its MOT they should not be driving it."

At MOT centres across the country, extra precautions have already been put in place to protect customers and workers.

At National Tyres and Autocare, for instance, staff routinely wear protective barrier gloves, fit seat covers and use floor mats before working on customers' vehicles.

Meanwhile, technicians work on ramps that are suitably spaced apart and customers do not need to interact with staff in the workshop's space.

"Our customers have been asking if they still need to MOT their vehicles and, of course, it's vital that everything is maintained and kept roadworthy, so today's announcement that MOTs will be exempt for the next six months is welcome news for everybody," said Michael Bourne, marketing director at the firm.

"We all recognise our role to stop the spread of germs, while keeping key workers on the road and able to do their jobs," he said.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/03/20 23:21:09]

over a year ago

"Motorists worried about getting an MOT because of the coronavirus crisis, have been handed a six-month reprieve.

The government has granted car owners a six-month exemption from MOT testing.

However, it won't come in until Monday 30 March which means vehicles due an MOT before then must still take it.

The exemption "will enable vital services such as deliveries to continue, frontline workers to get to work, and people get essential food and medicine," the government said.

The exemption will apply to cars, motorcycles and vans, but the government warned that vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition.

Garages will remain open for essential repair work while drivers will face prosecution if they're caught driving unsafe vehicles.

"We must ensure those on the frontline of helping the nation combat COVID19 are able to do so," said Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

"Safety is key, which is why garages will remain open for essential repair work."

Legally sound

The Department for Transport said the move won't hit any insurance claims during the period because they will be effectively extending MOT certificates meaning they will remain valid for insurance purposes.

The new law will be introduced on 30 March when it will come into immediate effect for 12 months.

What are the new restrictions and why are they needed?

How long can I exercise for? and other questions answered

What's the risk of taking buses or trains?

It is not being introduced immediately because the government said it must ensure regulations are legally sound before coming into force.

That means there will be a short consultation with key organisations before next Monday.

However, drivers will still need to get their vehicle tested until the new regulations come into place if they need to travel.

However, if someone is unable to get an MOT that is due because they are self isolating, the Department for Transport said it is working with insurers and the police to ensure people are not unfairly penalised for things out of their control.

Practical driving tests and annual testing for lorries, buses and coaches have already been suspended for up to three months.

'Exceptional times'

The RAC said the move was a positive one, although drivers must remain responsible.

"We are in exceptional times and that calls for exceptional measures like this," an RAC spokesperson said.

A SIMPLE GUIDE: What are the symptoms?

AVOIDING CONTACT: Should I self-isolate?

STRESS: How to protect your mental health

LOOK-UP TOOL: Check cases in your area

MAPS AND CHARTS: Visual guide to the outbreak

VIDEO: The 20-second hand wash

"But it's vital every driver remembers the roadworthiness of their car is their responsibility. If they know it's got problems or was likely to fail its MOT they should not be driving it."

At MOT centres across the country, extra precautions have already been put in place to protect customers and workers.

At National Tyres and Autocare, for instance, staff routinely wear protective barrier gloves, fit seat covers and use floor mats before working on customers' vehicles.

Meanwhile, technicians work on ramps that are suitably spaced apart and customers do not need to interact with staff in the workshop's space.

"Our customers have been asking if they still need to MOT their vehicles and, of course, it's vital that everything is maintained and kept roadworthy, so today's announcement that MOTs will be exempt for the next six months is welcome news for everybody," said Michael Bourne, marketing director at the firm.

"We all recognise our role to stop the spread of germs, while keeping key workers on the road and able to do their jobs," he said."

Did you copy and paste?? From your employer?

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

The government have given 6 month extensions on Mots, but it's still your responsibility ylto make sure it's roadworthy.

Check gov.uk

By *ichaelsmyMan
over a year ago

douglas

no I was just reading it on the bbc new website. saw a few people getting worried so then copied and posted it

By *mworthit156Man
over a year ago

SGlos_Bristol

I had mine booked in (+ annual service) for tomorrow Fri 27th already (expires 2nd April). Phoned to check this a.m. and all good to go.

Even offered my space if a key worker needed it as I could get the 6 months extension but was told to carry on.

However their waiting area is closed so what do I do for 2 hrs - pretend to be out exercising on the industrial/retail estate ? Then try to go food shopping afterwards...

Some MoT centres are offering a collect and delivery service ?

Post new Message to Thread