Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The aftermath

Jump to newest

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

I guess it's to early but when the corona virus is eventually beaten do you think it will change your outlook on life ?

More time on fab looking for pleasure

Less fab more family time

Make time for seeing your elderly relatives more

What are your early thoughts

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Erm nope.

Same shite different day

over a year ago

I pretty much decided on Tuesday that after 2 days where business as usual was more important than my welfare despite being a key worker (our service has to keep functioning yet shutting down the building to isolate us was surprisingly problematic due to management resistance) I am out of here when this ends

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Erm nope.

Same shite different day "

That's a shame that you can't change it if life's shit everyday

Good luck though

over a year ago

No life will be exactly the same for most of us when this all blows over.

Work, sleep, repeat.

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"I pretty much decided on Tuesday that after 2 days where business as usual was more important than my welfare despite being a key worker (our service has to keep functioning yet shutting down the building to isolate us was surprisingly problematic due to management resistance) I am out of here when this ends "

Good luck for deciding to leave, hope something good comes out of this virus

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"No life will be exactly the same for most of us when this all blows over.

Work, sleep, repeat."

I don't think so, some people will take it as a reality check and change even if it's small things

over a year ago

"Erm nope.

Same shite different day "

Right

By *uriousKinksterMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

I'd like to think things will be different, both as an individual and societally, but in all likelihood it wont be - at least not for a sustained period.

We've got short memories as a species at the best of times, and aside from the muppets exacerbating the situation with panic buying, I don't think this is severe enough to cause lasting changes unless the economy collapses completely.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I hope folk remember those that tried to make money out of others misery.

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

It's grim for the single in the sense they'll remain so for a bit. Though I guess they can make connections on line and eventually meet. I mean; it's grim for everyone, but a life without touch is extra alenating ...

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"I'd like to think things will be different, both as an individual and societally, but in all likelihood it wont be - at least not for a sustained period.

We've got short memories as a species at the best of times, and aside from the muppets exacerbating the situation with panic buying, I don't think this is severe enough to cause lasting changes unless the economy collapses completely. "

Doesn't have to be big changes, I know a work colleague who hasn't spoke to his parents over a stupid argument for 4 years

He's already phoned them and vowed to visit and make up when he can

By *uriousKinksterMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

"I'd like to think things will be different, both as an individual and societally, but in all likelihood it wont be - at least not for a sustained period.

We've got short memories as a species at the best of times, and aside from the muppets exacerbating the situation with panic buying, I don't think this is severe enough to cause lasting changes unless the economy collapses completely.

Doesn't have to be big changes, I know a work colleague who hasn't spoke to his parents over a stupid argument for 4 years

He's already phoned them and vowed to visit and make up when he can "

Well it's good that something positive has come of it all. I just think overall we'll have forgotten about it 6 months after it's all done with and largely go back to normal

Absolutely hope that's not the case and to be honest those swines who have been profiteering from the suffering of regular people need some sort of punishment, whether it be taking away their license or fining them.

over a year ago

I hope that folk remember that front line staff (the working poor as the phrase went) are important and hard working and not feckless and lazy as was the narrative before...

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Nope.

Faced worse personal adversity (so far) so doubt it will change my very jaded viewpoint of humanity.

I’m going to be working throughout and have volunteered to work longer to help those key workers with families.

Let’s do this. I will probably have a greater outlook on being able to travel though as I have put all my holidays on hold.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Nope my life and outlook will go back to normal, in order to survive we have to evolve our habits.

Its amazing how basic handwashing skills are not partaken by everyone, maybe now they will think twice?

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

A big fucking street party.

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"A big fucking street party."

Emphasis on the fucking part

over a year ago

"No life will be exactly the same for most of us when this all blows over.

Work, sleep, repeat.

I don't think so, some people will take it as a reality check and change even if it's small things"

Like someone else said people have a short memory.

I doubt things as a whole will change - individuals might change something but it will be short lived.

I know this sounds negative- but I'm a key worker and I have encountered so much selfishness recently.

We are provided with food at work which is a good thing as we cant get out to any shops after long shifts and if we do there is nothing left.

Most people are only thinking of themselves

over a year ago

"

Its amazing how basic handwashing skills are not partaken by everyone, maybe now they will think twice? "

I was hoping this. When this is over let's get hand sanitizers in public buildings and people using them!

over a year ago

Historians shall refer to eras as;

BC - Before Corona

AD - After Donald

By *quirrelMan
over a year ago

North Yorks

When all this is over, and the dust settles, I hope that the government will review and readjust its thinking regarding the response it has to future pandemics.

My younger brother is a virologist/microbiologist, and he tells me that Corvid-19 isn't the last of these killer viruses, it's the first on the scene of a new type of viral infection, there's more to come and thanks to government cut backs, first by Labour and then the Tories not increasing funding we are going to struggle in the future just like we are doing today.

One thing that he insisted needs addressing is immigration, the number of diseases that we virtually eradicated and had cases in single figures, has now reversed and he's seeing new cases pop up across country.

The latest data shows the number of people going to their GPS with diseases that they had never seen before is rising every year, I think the government should start turning down asylum seekers and economic migrants and introducing compulsory inoculation of all the population.

We won't have the resources available to fight another pandemic of they're being used to fight off preventable diseases that have been reintroduced back into the country by health tourism and those who come here but never contributed to the collective wealth of this country.

By *itonmyfacebookMan
over a year ago

Burton on Trent

Two world wars: we killed each other as much as we could and blew up and knocked down loads of stuff.

1948 we started building it all again. I suppose I'm saying this is WW without man fighting man.

I'm finding it all extremely interesting. It was said that when it's over we will look back on all the small acts of kindness. We should look now and ask: why weren't we doing them anyway, regardless of germs?

Let's see what the future holds...

By *itonmyfacebookMan
over a year ago

Burton on Trent

"Historians shall refer to eras as;

BC - Before Corona

AD - After Donald

"

Oh for the latter to be true. There was a high up academic, social history professor, on R4 several days ago saying he believes that we're on the cusp of a new age of altruism.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Lots of things are going to change. Maybe not on an individual basis but on a larger scale.

Cinemas may end up extinct because of this. They are partially heading that way as it is before lockdowns were coming in to place.

Hollywood studios are very likely going to start streaming their new releases (Wonder Woman 1984) is going to be the first big new release that will bypass cinemas), while a few movies currently still in cinemas are being switched to a stream release/early release.

By *itonmyfacebookMan
over a year ago

Burton on Trent

"Lots of things are going to change. Maybe not on an individual basis but on a larger scale.

Cinemas may end up extinct because of this. They are partially heading that way as it is before lockdowns were coming in to place.

Hollywood studios are very likely going to start streaming their new releases (Wonder Woman 1984) is going to be the first big new release that will bypass cinemas), while a few movies currently still in cinemas are being switched to a stream release/early release."

Asking for my son: do you know how to see Wonder Woman, Netflix?

How about flying, holidays abroad, etc?

over a year ago

BC - Before Corona

AD - After Donald

Oh for the latter to be true. There was a high up academic, social history professor, on R4 several days ago saying he believes that we're on the cusp of a new age of altruism. "

I think that the we could take a page from the Italians book.

This singing from the balconies to raise spirits really highlighted for me how the human race can stand together when it wants to. Maybe there is hope

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

BC - Before Corona

AD - After Donald

Oh for the latter to be true. There was a high up academic, social history professor, on R4 several days ago saying he believes that we're on the cusp of a new age of altruism. "

Clearly he's not witnessed all-out fights over packs of toilet rolls.

There's not much altruism going on in supermarkets right now, or when food banks are being burgled so people can sell the dried pasta at obscene prices.

I'd love to believe it was true, but I'm not seeing it build yet.

By *itonmyfacebookMan
over a year ago

Burton on Trent

BC - Before Corona

AD - After Donald

Oh for the latter to be true. There was a high up academic, social history professor, on R4 several days ago saying he believes that we're on the cusp of a new age of altruism.

Clearly he's not witnessed all-out fights over packs of toilet rolls.

There's not much altruism going on in supermarkets right now, or when food banks are being burgled so people can sell the dried pasta at obscene prices.

I'd love to believe it was true, but I'm not seeing it build yet."

Early days. Re: panic buying. Panic: exactly. A situation seen as being out of control. Stocking up on loo rolls n pasta (yummy, what wine goes well with that?) is an attempt to take control of an out of control situation.

There are other threads about the mega-wealthy stepping up to the mark.

Things were pretty anyhow in January. Hopefully we can take a step back and at least make life, for everyone and the environment, at least a wee bit better.

over a year ago

I would like it to be different.

I would like people to be more thoughtful and waste less. I would like people to look out for the elderly. I would like people to share and be kind

But I think human kind have just become far too selfish and even with the mass loss of life that's expected people are not prepared to change their behaviour

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I would like to think that all the staff on zero hours contracts, force their employers to take them on with better terms.

My niece is at university and on a zero hour contract, she is fucked at the moment as she needs to find £800 difference between her student loan and her out goings.

By *pple16Man
over a year ago

Macclesfield

with roads empty pollution down a lot can work from home.

By *oved Up 2Couple
over a year ago

nottingham

Less freedom than we had before. Now they've got us under control I can't see them handing it back in a hurry. Saying that I'm a cynic so likely wrong lol

over a year ago

Workwise it probably won't change for me as I'm a keyworker full time for NHS and again a keyworker in eves and weekends as a care worker.

However being single, does worry me in that I have no partner to come home to, share my fears with, talk about my day, but importantly too, missing basic human touch and hugs.

Post new Message to Thread