Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Always be prepared

Jump to newest

By *nlyIfItsWorthIt OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

I dont understand all the panic buying.

My house is always stocked with the basic things I would require if certain convenience food ran out in the shops - flour (all types), frozen meat, dried yeast, uht milk etc.

Is it me or are the lessons we learnt from our warehouse time parents and grandparents now just forgotten to history by a generation of over indulged amazon instant buyers who never thought the world was any different?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nlyIfItsWorthIt OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

*wartime not warehouse

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

I don't see it as being a generation thing. People of all ages are panic buying.

I do think that there is a certain amount of privilege in being able to afford to have the aforementioned neccesities already in (whether that's space, money or time to do so). I am quite lucky, in my early childhood things were difficult while my parents were training so I've always kept a pantry full of tinned and dried stuff in case anything bad happens. I think at times like these trying to show understanding and compassion for others is more than important before. Not everyone knows how to bake or cook from scratch - I'm choosing to share that with friends and neighbours who don't by making them fresh bread etc.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm far from oblivious, however I'm not in a position to be able to stock up the cupboards. My bills eat most of my wages and as there's only 1 income coming into my household it's not that easy on a minimum wage job, and one where you get sent home early if it's quiet and only get paid for the hours you work.

P

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I don't see it as being a generation thing. People of all ages are panic buying.

I do think that there is a certain amount of privilege in being able to afford to have the aforementioned neccesities already in (whether that's space, money or time to do so). I am quite lucky, in my early childhood things were difficult while my parents were training so I've always kept a pantry full of tinned and dried stuff in case anything bad happens. I think at times like these trying to show understanding and compassion for others is more than important before. Not everyone knows how to bake or cook from scratch - I'm choosing to share that with friends and neighbours who don't by making them fresh bread etc."

Absolutely this.

I'm very frugal and able to make a meal out of nothing

However money and and actually space to able to store things is a big issue.

Post new Message to Thread