Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

quietly working into a police state

Jump to newest

By *orkiecpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

York

due to this virus we are all blindly walking into a police state , where the government's have far too much power , and i can assure you they will keep that power after its all over. Normally these types of powers are only used during a war on the scale of world war 2, and im sorry but no projections give death figures as high the casualties in world war 2. We are all blindly giving all our powers to the political classes, it scares the hell out of me that we are all gladly walking into a dictatorship for a a virus that will only affect in a negative 5% of the population

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lap.n.tickleCouple
over a year ago

sunny Manchester :)

Is this a surprise the British have alway made that sheepish sound this is just another example of it. Baaaarrrrrrrr

By *ildatheart6969Couple
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Living in truly disturbing times

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

You get what you voted for..

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

You making assumptions that emergency powers will stay? Well they are emergency powers ... so they are used in an emergency. We are in an emergency... by definition if there’s no emergency... then they aren’t used

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

What has been put into irrevocable law so far?

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"You get what you voted for..

"

I voted for a win on the lottery.

Awesome news!!!!!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

The worst think about this pandemic is not the virus itself so far it seems.

It’s all the panic and scare.

By *ildatheart6969Couple
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"You making assumptions that emergency powers will stay? Well they are emergency powers ... so they are used in an emergency. We are in an emergency... by definition if there’s no emergency... then they aren’t used "

2 years they are introducing emergency powers in some countries that's enough to do what they want

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

"You making assumptions that emergency powers will stay? Well they are emergency powers ... so they are used in an emergency. We are in an emergency... by definition if there’s no emergency... then they aren’t used

2 years they are introducing emergency powers in some countries that's enough to do what they want"

And they want to minimise the effect of a new virus so seems like a plan

By *irenGuy70Man
over a year ago

Cirencester

And there was me thinking that the government hasn't been tough enough. They aren't enforcing anything, they're just giving advice. When I look at other countries that have police on the street enforcing isolation it makes me wonder why are we treating it so differently.

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

What exactly is it you want to do that the 'police state' isn't allowing you to do?

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"due to this virus we are all blindly walking into a police state , where the government's have far too much power , and i can assure you they will keep that power after its all over. Normally these types of powers are only used during a war on the scale of world war 2, and im sorry but no projections give death figures as high the casualties in world war 2. We are all blindly giving all our powers to the political classes, it scares the hell out of me that we are all gladly walking into a dictatorship for a a virus that will only affect in a negative 5% of the population "

I'm just going to say.... utter nonsense.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tin foil hat time I see

over a year ago

"due to this virus we are all blindly walking into a police state , where the government's have far too much power , and i can assure you they will keep that power after its all over. Normally these types of powers are only used during a war on the scale of world war 2, and im sorry but no projections give death figures as high the casualties in world war 2. We are all blindly giving all our powers to the political classes, it scares the hell out of me that we are all gladly walking into a dictatorship for a a virus that will only affect in a negative 5% of the population "

My instincts... albeit powered by my bloody anxiety have had me wondering if this is the direction we are headed in

over a year ago

"Tin foil hat time I see"

This!

over a year ago

"due to this virus we are all blindly walking into a police state , where the government's have far too much power , and i can assure you they will keep that power after its all over. Normally these types of powers are only used during a war on the scale of world war 2, and im sorry but no projections give death figures as high the casualties in world war 2. We are all blindly giving all our powers to the political classes, it scares the hell out of me that we are all gladly walking into a dictatorship for a a virus that will only affect in a negative 5% of the population

I'm just going to say.... utter nonsense."

Nicely put

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

I’m on the fence with this one. It does need a strong reaction from govt, it’s not just flu, it’s not just 5%.

But I also don’t trust this shower in govt not to take the piss.

over a year ago

don't walk....... run

By *itonmyfacebookMan
over a year ago

Burton on Trent

Did that on December 12 last year and told the poor and vulnerable to go away and die.

over a year ago

When the great day arrives citizen, you will be first against the wall! Your name is on BoJo's list

Common sense seems to have gone completely out of the window these days

over a year ago

"Tin foil hat time I see"

Its disturbing how many on here are like this

over a year ago

"Tin foil hat time I see

Its disturbing how many on here are like this "

its disturbing how many are disturbed

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"The worst think about this pandemic is not the virus itself so far it seems.

It’s all the panic and scare. "

Which is exactly why the restrictions are being phased in. A total lockdown was probably the right thing to do for the virus but the panic that would have ensured would have overshadowed that and had wider long term implications

By *ildatheart6969Couple
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"due to this virus we are all blindly walking into a police state , where the government's have far too much power , and i can assure you they will keep that power after its all over. Normally these types of powers are only used during a war on the scale of world war 2, and im sorry but no projections give death figures as high the casualties in world war 2. We are all blindly giving all our powers to the political classes, it scares the hell out of me that we are all gladly walking into a dictatorship for a a virus that will only affect in a negative 5% of the population

My instincts... albeit powered by my bloody anxiety have had me wondering if this is the direction we are headed in "

Your insights are correct.

over a year ago

Which is exactly why the restrictions are being phased in. A total lockdown was probably the right thing to do for the virus but the panic that would have ensured would have overshadowed that and had wider long term implications "

you're all panicking now what you on about

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What exactly is it you want to do that the 'police state' isn't allowing you to do?"

this...... thank you

I can't believe people are complaining, its about people wanting to be grossly irresponsible...

if this outbreak was to be in "italy size" proportions... and the government stepped aside for your "liberty" I'm sure the people whinging would be complaining...

after all... its always "someone elses problem" until it hits your family....

over a year ago

The characteristic uk behaviours of carry on regardless followed by bungled compromises and frantic arse covering. As ever.

Folk would simply treat it as a holiday if the knew they were going to get compensation.

The idea of health insurance becomes more sellable now. But I wonder if those with it are getting any better help?

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

I'd be more concerned about the total breakdown of law and order rather than a police state ...

over a year ago

"Tin foil hat time I see

Its disturbing how many on here are like this its disturbing how many are disturbed "

Best to be flithy disturbed then tin hat disturbed

over a year ago

"What exactly is it you want to do that the 'police state' isn't allowing you to do?

this...... thank you

I can't believe people are complaining, its about people wanting to be grossly irresponsible...

if this outbreak was to be in "italy size" proportions... and the government stepped aside for your "liberty" I'm sure the people whinging would be complaining...

after all... its always "someone elses problem" until it hits your family...."

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

"I'd be more concerned about the total breakdown of law and order rather than a police state ..."

That’s also a concern. What’s the quote? 3 missed meals away from (A)narchy?

over a year ago

These people need to go to Italy and spout off nonsense, soon see how that would be received!

In a way, you can't blame these people, in last few years they were told explicitly not to listen to experts!!!

over a year ago

"What exactly is it you want to do that the 'police state' isn't allowing you to do?"

What they said.

By *ompip3Couple
over a year ago

Paisley

Can I ask one question?

How many of us know of personally (not hearsay or so n so told you) any confirmed cases in their social networks? I don't know of any.

I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist at all, but it does seem the governments have got us all right where they want us. Reboot the world and start again, but at what cost to all the small businesses & self employed.

over a year ago

"and im sorry but no projections give death figures as high the casualties in world war 2."

You're wrong, the ICL study (which is the one the government are using) says if we do nothing then the body count will be 510,000 within a year in the United Kingdom.

During World War 2 the total death count for the United Kingdom was 383,700 military deaths and 67,200 civilian deaths, that's 450,900 over 6 years.

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

I know a few suspected and self isolating, none confirmed.

over a year ago

"I know a few suspected and self isolating, none confirmed. "

I'm self isolating as of today because I've got a bloody smokers cough, luckily I was booked on annual leave for next week and work have offered to bring it forward so I dont lose any money.

over a year ago

Police state? Nah. Visit China or Hong Kong if you want to witness that. Scared out of their wits state? Yes. Hate all the panic being created but hey ho, got to love social media.

People need information they can believe to make informed decisions on how to behave. We’re getting crossed messages and this is causing uncertainty and leading to erratic behaviour. I actually feel sorry for the police atm as I’m sure they’re in exactly the same frame of mind as the rest of us.

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

Which is exactly why the restrictions are being phased in. A total lockdown was probably the right thing to do for the virus but the panic that would have ensured would have overshadowed that and had wider long term implications you're all panicking now what you on about "

Yes but it’s effectively a “phased panic” which is better than having said last Friday that, as of midnight there would be a lockdown. Can you imagine the reaction of some at that news?

over a year ago

I’m sure this post is a joke. I Mean, you can’t actually be serious? You’re giggling behind all our backs, I am certain of it.

The government haven’t exercised any “powers” yet. They are providing pretty sound advice, in what is a very complicated situation.

If you truly think that Covid presents no threat and that no

Action is needed, take yourself off to Italy, and see what’s unfolding there. Do you realise how obscene You’d sound to someone living there?

By *ildatheart6969Couple
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I’m sure this post is a joke. I Mean, you can’t actually be serious? You’re giggling behind all our backs, I am certain of it.

The government haven’t exercised any “powers” yet. They are providing pretty sound advice, in what is a very complicated situation.

If you truly think that Covid presents no threat and that no

Action is needed, take yourself off to Italy, and see what’s unfolding there. Do you realise how obscene You’d sound to someone living there?

"

They're waiting for the public to beg for a lockdown.

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Niki grew up in Soviet Russia - this thread has given her a good laugh Thanks OP

over a year ago

Which is exactly why the restrictions are being phased in. A total lockdown was probably the right thing to do for the virus but the panic that would have ensured would have overshadowed that and had wider long term implications you're all panicking now what you on about

Yes but it’s effectively a “phased panic” which is better than having said last Friday that, as of midnight there would be a lockdown. Can you imagine the reaction of some at that news?"

annarchy as they wheeze

over a year ago

Well if there was social responsibility and community spirit it would be totally unnecessary but unfortunately as it's not to be as our individual rights are too important for the masses, then if it gets much worse we will have to be policed

By *orkiecpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

York

All restaurants pubs hotels the airplane industry will and is been totally torn apart and destroyed by the government actions how is a lockdown that saves lives BUT destroy's the economy to the point that the poor die from no work no support if you think the following recession is not going to be totally life changing for generations to come then your blind , if your working class your life will never be the same again millions will lose they jobs millions will lose they homes 1929 the great depression will look like a blip the post corona virus depression will last for generations , and for the record my mum is over 70 and my wife is in a high risk group with under lying conditions

By *lap.n.tickleCouple
over a year ago

sunny Manchester :)

Que sera sera what ever will be will be the future not set you see que sera sera.1st time I've sang on a stupid thread

over a year ago

"All restaurants pubs hotels the airplane industry will and is been totally torn apart and destroyed by the government actions how is a lockdown that saves lives BUT destroy's the economy to the point that the poor die from no work no support if you think the following recession is not going to be totally life changing for generations to come then your blind , if your working class your life will never be the same again millions will lose they jobs millions will lose they homes 1929 the great depression will look like a blip the post corona virus depression will last for generations , and for the record my mum is over 70 and my wife is in a high risk group with under lying conditions "

What happens will happen for the best and the world over ... worrying and thinking the worst will not change this.

I use fab as an addition to life for fun, friendships and laughter not to add to the depressing things at the moment and scaremongering from the uninformed so carry on as you are or hunker down and look after each other with a smile ... and let's look forward to the celebration after party and then all work together to put life back again with smiles! Shit happens in life and as long as I don't die I will continue with a smile and a laugh and with hardwork.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"All restaurants pubs hotels the airplane industry will and is been totally torn apart and destroyed by the government actions how is a lockdown that saves lives BUT destroy's the economy to the point that the poor die from no work no support if you think the following recession is not going to be totally life changing for generations to come then your blind , if your working class your life will never be the same again millions will lose they jobs millions will lose they homes 1929 the great depression will look like a blip the post corona virus depression will last for generations , and for the record my mum is over 70 and my wife is in a high risk group with under lying conditions "

This is a serious question as someone else made this point.

How will people die if the economy tanks?We are still one of the richest countries on the planet.

Surely at the moment..The most important think is limiting the speed of the virus.Of course the economy is important but it must be a secondary concern to avoiding millions of death's.

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

I think I need to redefine my understanding of "police state"

over a year ago

its already affected 95% of threads

over a year ago

"Can I ask one question?

How many of us know of personally (not hearsay or so n so told you) any confirmed cases in their social networks? I don't know of any.

I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist at all, but it does seem the governments have got us all right where they want us. Reboot the world and start again, but at what cost to all the small businesses & self employed."

My down stair neighbour and my brothers wife have both been confirmed. One seems to be handling it well the other looks like death

over a year ago

What police?? There aren’t any left ! Not many in the army either nowadays.

There is not a hope in hell our services can enforce any sort of martial law with the numbers we have.

over a year ago

Hope everyone has tin foil hats

By *ompip3Couple
over a year ago

Paisley

"Can I ask one question?

I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist at all, but it does seem the governments have got us all right where they want us. Reboot the world and start again, but at what cost to all the small businesses & self employed.

My down stair neighbour and my brothers wife have both been confirmed. One seems to be handling it well the other looks like death "

Sorry to hear that Lunaa, hope they both make a quick and full recovery. X

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

its already affected 95% of threads "

You're confusing the corona virus with the stupid.

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"When I look at other countries that have police on the street enforcing isolation it makes me wonder why are we treating it so differently."

Because for the time being at least they’re trusting the people to be British and behave like civilised humans. Let’s see how long it lasts.

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

Yes its very worrying times ahead indeed. Not being handled well at all

over a year ago

To be honest if ppl can’t calm the fck down and stop whipping everything off the shelves etc I will welcome someone stepping in.. its way OTT out there....

over a year ago

Foolishness. Johnson doesn't have the cognitive capacity to create a police state by stealth.

Post new Message to Thread