Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mental Health

Jump to newest

By *ictor Sponge OP   Man
over a year ago

Stokesley/ often Sunderland

Well this is a funny old time for everyone. Self isolation and the prospect of 14 days alone can be very difficult for some.

We all need to be mindful of the mental health of ourselves and those around us. Reach to someone if you are struggling xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

Self-isolation does not have to mean no contact.

There are many ways to keep in touch with others.

This is indeed one of them, there's the good old fashioned phone and numerous comms apps that includes video chats.

Let's not allow isolation to mean no contact. In times like these we perhaps need to reach out more to friends and family and just ask that simple question ..

"Are you ok?"

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Agree totally!! Be kind to others and if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. There will be some extremely fragile people around, especially at the moment. Mental health problems come out in different ways so try not to judge anyone.

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Are we safe to allow a friend round for coffee

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

"Are we safe to allow a friend round for coffee"

Why not? Just be mindful of hygiene advice

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

This question needs a gif of two people wearing giant condoms over their heads and bodies, trying to have a kiss. I have one! If only we could post pics .... tee hee.

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

U are if there’s any milk or coffee left in the shops .... only invite the selfish panic buyers and ask them to bring their own

over a year ago

"Self-isolation does not have to mean no contact.

There are many ways to keep in touch with others.

This is indeed one of them, there's the good old fashioned phone and numerous comms apps that includes video chats.

Let's not allow isolation to mean no contact. In times like these we perhaps need to reach out more to friends and family and just ask that simple question ..

"Are you ok?""

Exactly this

over a year ago

"Well this is a funny old time for everyone. Self isolation and the prospect of 14 days alone can be very difficult for some.

We all need to be mindful of the mental health of ourselves and those around us. Reach to someone if you are struggling xx"

It’s a lovely idea and thought. But slightly ironic, given that we live in times where - by and large - people choose to communicate via social media rather than face to face.

Showing your age!

over a year ago

I love this post.

Lets be POSITIVE.

Lets remember to say nice things.

Remember to give any pensioners a knock to ask if they need anything as God love they are at the nastier end of all this.

over a year ago

"Agree totally!! Be kind to others and if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. There will be some extremely fragile people around, especially at the moment. Mental health problems come out in different ways so try not to judge anyone."

Again this is exactly right xx

By *toC Thats MeWoman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Thankful for FaceTime so we can video call our friends and family.

over a year ago

"I love this post.

Lets be POSITIVE.

Lets remember to say nice things.

Remember to give any pensioners a knock to ask if they need anything as God love they are at the nastier end of all this."

I love this sentiment and it is exactly the right community attitude needed. We just have to be mindful that some pensioner will be looking to protect themselves and avoid others xx

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/03/20 07:26:13]

over a year ago

The next few weeks and months are unprecedented times for us all. However, while there will be much discussion and planning over what this means to us all individually. The changes that are now looking inevitable will have an even bigger impact on those who have Autism. Changes to daily routines, activities, social interactions and even increased handwashing, could be really traumatic for someone who navigates our world a little differently. Anxiety may be worse, issolation may go unnoticed when suddenly everyone is doing it. Please be mindful, compassionate, patient and understanding that for some this isn't about a virus, their lives are being turned upside down.

over a year ago

"The next few weeks and months are unprecedented times for us all. However, while there will be much discussion and planning over what this means to us all individually. The changes that are now looking inevitable will have an even bigger impact on those who have Autism. Changes to daily routines, activities, social interactions and even increased handwashing, could be really traumatic for someone who navigates our world a little differently. Anxiety may be worse, issolation may go unnoticed when suddenly everyone is doing it. Please be mindful, compassionate, patient and understanding that for some this isn't about a virus, their lives are being turned upside down. "

This is so so right, there will be lots of people who are effected and we will not know or see to what extent that is xx

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

"Are we safe to allow a friend round for coffee

U are if there’s any milk or coffee left in the shops .... only invite the selfish panic buyers and ask them to bring their own "

Luckily I have plenty of milk

But we both keep texting each other to see if we feel ok about it

Nice to have a friend round but neither of us know where the other has been..........just saying

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

Bear in mind that, as useful as phones and apps are, they are still no substitute for face to face interaction.

Even in “normal” times, the reliance on technology has had a negative impact on people’s sense of isolation. I’m on a mental health wellbeing committee who had a talk by the health board enthusing about older people having video consultations with their GP instead of visiting. No one in their policy had factored in that older people will often make a (routine) trip to their GP a social occasion and go for coffee or a garden centre. By “helping” them to stay at home, it would have a detrimental effect on many and we backed this up with figures.

I’m not saying that in these times we shouldn’t use the technology available, but it’s not as clear cut as some so called professionals think.

I think it’s now universally accepted that sitting a young child down in front of a TV or tablet with no other interaction is a bad thing. The same applies to older people.

over a year ago

"Bear in mind that, as useful as phones and apps are, they are still no substitute for face to face interaction.

Even in “normal” times, the reliance on technology has had a negative impact on people’s sense of isolation. I’m on a mental health wellbeing committee who had a talk by the health board enthusing about older people having video consultations with their GP instead of visiting. No one in their policy had factored in that older people will often make a (routine) trip to their GP a social occasion and go for coffee or a garden centre. By “helping” them to stay at home, it would have a detrimental effect on many and we backed this up with figures.

I’m not saying that in these times we shouldn’t use the technology available, but it’s not as clear cut as some so called professionals think.

I think it’s now universally accepted that sitting a young child down in front of a TV or tablet with no other interaction is a bad thing. The same applies to older people.

"

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

I am going to put my hands up and after hitting day11 I have woken up in a dark place

My coping mechanisms are being shutdown Slowly but I can see them going

No trains

No work interactions

Takeaways I usually have

Potential closures of parks

No pubs

No football

Not feeling 100%

Knowing this can go on for months

Worry about parents - high risk

Post new Message to Thread