Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Corona virus and the public Psychology

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is it being blown out of proportion?

Personally, im worried about it. Not for myself but older family members. Anyone else worried like me?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Is it being blown out of proportion?

Personally, im worried about it. Not for myself but older family members. Anyone else worried like me? "

I'm not worried no its here you'll either get it or you won't but its here forever until and if a cure can be found just live your life and look after the vulnerable is all you can do

over a year ago

We all gotta die at some point, yeah if would suck if I got it and died next week. But if that's my fate then that's my fate, until then I'm going to continue living my life instead of fearing for it hiding with my loo roll and pasta

over a year ago

I'm concerned about the health aspect but also the long term economic effect.

By *rMrsRichCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouh

Just use my strategy:

Get it

Avoid everyone

Try not to die for two weeks

Crack on with life

By *sianMancMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Personally, im worried about it. Not for myself but older family members. Anyone else worried like me? "

For myself no for others of course like you.

I share here something I wrote in another thread...

By *sianMancMan
over a year ago

Manchester

... excuse the typos as I rushed it out:

Some absolutely pathetic statistics and correlations being made on this thread.

Covid-19 is not the same as the flu. If it was the world wouldn't be behind this pandemic they'd be ahead and the world wouldn't be on lockdown. That's a free of charge observation for those missing the point.

2ndly there is no immunity for this. Humanity has never faced this and thus the results of what happens is unknown.

This is also a far far more contagious easily spreadable infection than any of its predecessors.

So let's put all this that I have tried to in layman terms break it down further.

It means YOU, me and US all are potential carriers for a killer.

We are all responsible for spreading it and for the killing of other innocent human beings.

Sure you may be young you may be healthy you may survive this but you could pass it to your elderly family members or to someone else and boom they could die.

We are all now responsible for what happens on this planet fuck that on this land fuck that in your city fuck even that in your area fuck that in your on street and rest assured in your own home car and place of work.

People are so rationalizing this selfishly is beyond me.

You all and we all have a shared responsibility in this.

As someone who works on the government I can tell you as I am anonymous to some degree that the governments herd immunity is absurd and a wishful guess since we cannot know the parameters at play here.

WHO has already criticised this endeavour and this is what will happen so listen carefully...

The government will do little to stop this.

Many 1000s If not will die and continue to die.

The situation will get worse and worse until a vaccine can be made which will take a year at the earliest and even then the vaccine cannot be 100% effective on all strains as the fly vaccination isnt.

We have the cure for the cold but it keeps the economy going to let it roam as it doesnt kill. Flu kills and thus diminishes the work force and thus economy.

This isn't about life it's about money and stay stability for the government but now even they are at risk which is why trump was trying to buy a German vaccine company.

Do not be foolish. Stay indoors if you can for the love of life.

Wash your hands every time you touch anything or come home or eat etc.

Cough in a tissue or in your elbow and discard that clothing to the laundry pile.

Keep hygiene paramount so disinfect a surfaces and wash your asses stop relying on fucking paper...who does that this day and age urgh.

Come on get with the picture people.

And yes yes yes stop fucking meeting strangers and spreading this like selfish twats!

For every irresponsible prick in this country is akin to those that had hiv and went out to spread it.

Forget the government to tell you what to do act now and do it yourself.

I warned all my friends colleagues and all I could since january to quarantine themselves and I had done on my profile too but upto people to listen and now the shits hit the fan.

Be responsible.

I dont normally rant or get emotional but I dont want to see people hurt or die and that's what's happening and will happen on a far far larger scale!

Eyes wide open!!

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Out of proportion, not exactly. Ever increasing death count with extreme ability for it to spread. Regardless of how fearful and worried people are or should or should not be, bottom line it is a huge cause for concern.

But in some ways, yes. The main issue really is the focus with regards to the media is greatly focused on the high impact negatives, and neglecting of other factors of the whole situation. They are happy to hand out the most dire and worst of news, but the little, of more important, details that don't have the same impact are often relegated to the small print or barely have a mention.

over a year ago

"... excuse the typos as I rushed it out:

Covid-19 is not the same as the flu. If it was the world wouldn't be behind this pandemic they'd be ahead and the world wouldn't be on lockdown. That's a free of charge observation for those missing the point.

2ndly there is no immunity for this. Humanity has never faced this and thus the results of what happens is unknown.

This is also a far far more contagious easily spreadable infection than any of its predecessors.

So let's put all this that I have tried to in layman terms break it down further.

We are all responsible for spreading it and for the killing of other innocent human beings.

Sure you may be young you may be healthy you may survive this but you could pass it to your elderly family members or to someone else and boom they could die.

We are all now responsible for what happens on this planet fuck that on this land fuck that in your city fuck even that in your area fuck that in your on street and rest assured in your own home car and place of work.

As someone who works on the government I can tell you as I am anonymous to some degree that the governments herd immunity is absurd and a wishful guess since we cannot know the parameters at play here.

WHO has already criticised this endeavour and this is what will happen so listen carefully...

The situation will get worse and worse until a vaccine can be made which will take a year at the earliest and even then the vaccine cannot be 100% effective on all strains as the fly vaccination isnt.

We have the cure for the cold but it keeps the economy going to let it roam as it doesnt kill. Flu kills and thus diminishes the work force and thus economy.

This isn't about life it's about money and stay stability for the government but now even they are at risk which is why trump was trying to buy a German vaccine company.

Cough in a tissue or in your elbow and discard that clothing to the laundry pile.

Keep hygiene paramount so disinfect a surfaces and wash your asses stop relying on fucking paper...who does that this day and age urgh.

And yes yes yes stop fucking meeting strangers and spreading this like selfish twats!

For every irresponsible prick in this country is akin to those that had hiv and went out to spread it.

I warned all my friends colleagues and all I could since january to quarantine themselves and I had done on my profile too but upto people to listen and now the shits hit the fan.

Be responsible.

I dont normally rant or get emotional but I dont want to see people hurt or die and that's what's happening and will happen on a far far larger scale!

Eyes wide open!!"

god man go out now and buy public liability insurance you need it

over a year ago

If I stay indoors then I don’t go to work.

If I don’t go to work I don’t pay the mortgage.

If I don’t pay the mortgage I get thrown out the house.

If I get thrown out the house I can’t stay indoors.

What am I supposed to do? Accept the inevitable and kill my family and myself?

By *an For YouMan
over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Yes

No

over a year ago

Be responsible.

Eyes wide open!!"

Exaggerating much? Adding to the hysteria with your own paranoia isn’t going to help. No doubt you have a room filled with toilet rolls, rice, pasta, crisps, tinned food and hand wash. All stuff that those who are actually at risk and perhaps should self isolate need but can no longer get as the shelves are empty. They are now having to “risk” going out every day to get supplies but are prevented to do so by those more able bodied joining the panic and fighting over short supplies, of what would be plentiful were idiots not being selfish, ignorant and paranoid. We will see riots and looting due to posts and ideology like this.

over a year ago

Just a little information - covid-19 as a virus is actually quite weak. Its outer layer is thin and lipid so will be killed off by normal soap and water (alcohol sanitizer is unnecessary) and it is also heavy so falls to the ground or surfaces quickly and does not remain airborne for long. Basic regular cleanliness should kill it off quickly. The problem is the delay in symptoms which do not display until after you are infectious. The virus works by stimulating the body’s immune system which overreacts massively to this stimulus and attacks itself causing pneumonia. People with pre-existing conditions are most at risk of this. The government appear to be attempting to develop herd immunity by allowing the virus to spread and there is an argument that if you catch it early and survive then you should be more resistant should the virus mutate into something more problematic. Dont panic, keep clean, and don’t fuck about. (Most people on fab dont anyway)

over a year ago

I'm taking this virus thing very seriously, I honestly think it is going to get a lot lot worse in every aspect of our lives over the next few months and the economic repercussions are going to be with us for years. I do think it can be lessened if everyone uses common sense.

But! Today we went shopping, Jesus Christ (excuse) people have gone mad, absolutely fucking mad, some young people pushed an elderly couple out of the way to get at toilet roll even though there was plenty enough on the shelves for another half an hour at least, complete pandemonium. Common sense? I think we're fucked, it will end up with martial law before it's through if everywhere is like that

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I'm taking this virus thing very seriously, I honestly think it is going to get a lot lot worse in every aspect of our lives over the next few months and the economic repercussions are going to be with us for years. I do think it can be lessened if everyone uses common sense.

But! Today we went shopping, Jesus Christ (excuse) people have gone mad, absolutely fucking mad, some young people pushed an elderly couple out of the way to get at toilet roll even though there was plenty enough on the shelves for another half an hour at least, complete pandemonium. Common sense? I think we're fucked, it will end up with martial law before it's through if everywhere is like that "

Sadly a lot of people are selfish and thick.Not a good combination.

There are a lot of good people out there too..and a million good deeds probably go unreported each day.

Situations like this probally bring out the best and worst in people.

Happily though we have got kind hearted..honest..decent political leaders like Johnson and trump who we can look upto.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I am worried for others more than myself. It is bad and will get worse. As a healthcare worker we are working 16hr shifts to care for our frail as 8 of our workforce are in isolation. For the healthy it is not life threating but overall the impact on everyone looks to be devastating.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I am worried for others more than myself. It is bad and will get worse. As a healthcare worker we are working 16hr shifts to care for our frail as 8 of our workforce are in isolation. For the healthy it is not life threating but overall the impact on everyone looks to be devastating."

The country (and gmnt)should thank its lucky socks for people like you.

over a year ago

Stupidity is far more dangerous than the virus.

Went to do a weekly shop as normal yesterday. Couldn’t get into Lidl. Farm Foods looked like a scene from Shaun of the Dead, but with more zombies.

By *_MariusMan
over a year ago

Currently Faraway

Yes, I am really scared by it...but I am trying to keep myself intelligent-scared and not getting into thoughtless panic mode.

By *latinumkittenWoman
over a year ago

from Home Counties to Middle Earth

Media, creating hysteria and global recession. Someone needs shooting.

over a year ago

"Media, creating hysteria and global recession. Someone needs shooting."

Social Media is the worst offender. Stupid people sharing stupid posts with other stupid people. Stupidity is more contagious than Coronavirus.

By *entileschiWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

I worry for elderly parents but otherwise I try to keep a sense of perspective and proportion.

over a year ago

Coronavirus's have been around since the 1960's....is it a cause of concern, definitely for some of the aged and those of ill health....am I concerned, not particularly, by using common sense and basic hygiene I think we will be alright.

over a year ago

Imagine if a World War ever broke out, the world would be doomed because look at the reactions of people over this My grandparents taught me to fear nothing, what happened to the older generation strength and just getting on with it? No disrespect to anyone, but what I see of today's generation is quite embarrassing to some degree, too many whiners and whingers, where I think " Man Up " The overeacting isn't helping anyone..

instead of creating hysteria online, maybe get around front doors of neighbours and help the elderly and support those who actually need it..

over a year ago

We wouldn’t need a war to start, the enemy could post a few photos empty toilet roll shelves and let society destroy itself

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Imagine if a World War ever broke out, the world would be doomed because look at the reactions of people over this My grandparents taught me to fear nothing, what happened to the older generation strength and just getting on with it? No disrespect to anyone, but what I see of today's generation is quite embarrassing to some degree, too many whiners and whingers, where I think " Man Up " The overeacting isn't helping anyone..

instead of creating hysteria online, maybe get around front doors of neighbours and help the elderly and support those who actually need it.. "

No disrespect but I think we may find the idea of more potentially contagious virus spreaders visiting the vulnerable would most likely be counter productive

And when countries not media are enforcing lock downs manning up is not an option

Our ancestors were no better

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Imagine if a World War ever broke out, the world would be doomed because look at the reactions of people over this My grandparents taught me to fear nothing, what happened to the older generation strength and just getting on with it? No disrespect to anyone, but what I see of today's generation is quite embarrassing to some degree, too many whiners and whingers, where I think " Man Up " The overeacting isn't helping anyone..

instead of creating hysteria online, maybe get around front doors of neighbours and help the elderly and support those who actually need it.. "

People are bound to be worried about a virus that could wipe out millions of people.Its nothing about "manning up".

With a NHS on its arse aswell.

Agree with the last bit though.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I feel its been blown out of all proportion. More people are still dying of diseases like measles and rabies.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I feel its been blown out of all proportion. More people are still dying of diseases like measles and rabies. "

It really hasn't.

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

instead of creating hysteria online, maybe get around front doors of neighbours and help the elderly and support those who actually need it..

People are bound to be worried about a virus that could wipe out millions of people.Its nothing about "manning up".

With a NHS on its arse aswell.

Agree with the last bit though.

"

A lady in Cornwall came up with a nice simple postcard to pop through neighbours doors, if you think they may need assistance;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-51880695

over a year ago

"I feel its been blown out of all proportion. More people are still dying of diseases like measles and rabies. "

I don't know how many times people need telling yo get this. Not.al flu, measles and other diseases have a vaccine and are modelled into the system. They know expected numbers and make the required contingencies.

Why do you think China went into full lockdown? They knew, if it swept through the population it could kill thousands, possibly millions.

over a year ago

I'm not saying stand an inch from the persons face, breathe into them and ask if they need support.. Maybe as simple as leaving information on a piece of paper, and post it through the letter box.. Then it throws a lifeline to someone who needs the actual help..

I think the lock downs are a smart move from other countries but that doesn't mean everyone needs to go into a frenzy..

Last comment I make on this as I have better things to do with my day, then have a back and fourth with a obvious troll, as I saw you yesterday bashing religion, so I know your type = Classless

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 16/03/20 13:04:55]

over a year ago

The I couldn't care less and the I hope I get it brigade on here are not helping this virus in anyway. I personally think they are the stupid buggers who are going to spread this thing to the point that the nhs will not be able to cope. Yes it only kills 1% of mainly older people...but 1 in 20 across the board will need a hospital bed if they get it!

And the chances are that bed will be denied to the older person due to this...so all them flat earthers on here seriously need to have a rethink on this one....that's what I think

over a year ago

As an experiment it would be interesting for the world media to start reporting on last years viruses/flu/pnuemonia that killed more than 30,000 people in the Uk alone, in the same over inflated way that this has been done and see the absolute panic that could be created over that. We live with this sort of danger every year but because we just think its 'flu' that we have lived with forever we just accept it. This has been over egged into some massive monstrous thing that is going to kill us all , which could be said of every flu strain that ever mutated every year.

But please do wash our hands and dont cough on me all the same

over a year ago

"As an experiment it would be interesting for the world media to start reporting on last years viruses/flu/pnuemonia that killed more than 30,000 people in the Uk alone, in the same over inflated way that this has been done and see the absolute panic that could be created over that. We live with this sort of danger every year but because we just think its 'flu' that we have lived with forever we just accept it. This has been over egged into some massive monstrous thing that is going to kill us all , which could be said of every flu strain that ever mutated every year.

"

And take some vitamin c and go and stand outside in the bloody sunshine.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"As an experiment it would be interesting for the world media to start reporting on last years viruses/flu/pnuemonia that killed more than 30,000 people in the Uk alone, in the same over inflated way that this has been done and see the absolute panic that could be created over that. We live with this sort of danger every year but because we just think its 'flu' that we have lived with forever we just accept it. This has been over egged into some massive monstrous thing that is going to kill us all , which could be said of every flu strain that ever mutated every year.

"

As I've made clear in many of the other threads I'm certainly not panicking at all. Never have and never will. Mainstream information is being poorly shared and the full picture is overshadowing the important information.

However stop comparing it to flu. Also people need to stop focusing solely on the death rate. The deaths are not what has governments and experts concerned (at least not the major reason) it is the fact that this virus spreads so quickly and easily.

A virus with high ability to spread but a lower fatality rate is much more scary and cause for concern than a slow spreading high fatality virus.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"

The mortality rates are much worse than the flu.

over a year ago

Be responsible.

Eyes wide open!!"

Well said fella;

and for those who mock this guys comments, I wonder if you will still mock when you, or a loved one catches the virus

its easy to play the big man and say this is not a worry, but I consider anyone who says this is not a worry or concern to be a very foolish person.

over a year ago

As I've made clear in many of the other threads I'm certainly not panicking at all. Never have and never will. Mainstream information is being poorly shared and the full picture is overshadowing the important information.

However stop comparing it to flu. Also people need to stop focusing solely on the death rate. The deaths are not what has governments and experts concerned (at least not the major reason) it is the fact that this virus spreads so quickly and easily.

A virus with high ability to spread but a lower fatality rate is much more scary and cause for concern than a slow spreading high fatality virus. "

But both are transmissable in exactly the same way, both are equally deadly to the weak,both can have the same fatal outcomes Flu and other virus such as norovirus also rip through much quicker than this is. Of the people tested very few actually test positive for it so that means all the other people presenting with 'flu like' symptoms have regular flu then, which would suggest that is still more or just as worrying as we know the harm flu still does to us.

Im not trying to sound heartless but I hate to see people whipped up into these sort of panics

over a year ago

Well on Saturday someone attacked the two ladies in the post office by me and threatened them with a brick, yesterday someone was attacked outside the taxi rank with a meat cleaver before armed police took him away.

Not known violence like this before in my village and the two men in question weren’t even from round here they were outsiders from fucking Newport, they should get back to their own area and leave my village alone. It’s gone mad here. I’m shocked. Shocked I am.

over a year ago

I'm so worried

By *candiumWoman
over a year ago

oban

Unpopular opinion but I do think there's a lot of unnecessary panic. In the end pandemics are good for the human population. Yes its shit for the invdividuals ( and my family would come into that) but thats a selfish way to think. 

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

A virus with high ability to spread but a lower fatality rate is much more scary and cause for concern than a slow spreading high fatality virus. "

Ok let's take that a face value I dont know I am not disagreeing

Then currently the UK is doing zero of any use to prevent the spread of a viruse that can spread easily

The postmonent of a few things is nothing

As noted EVERYONE is out shopping instead

Hand washing will help a tiny bit but unless everyone washes after every door they open or item on a shelf they touch a very contagious virus will not be stopped or slowed much

I say if you're right about the virus we are doing nowhere near enough

Through the laws of degrees of separation I guess the millions in ikea shopping centres and supermarkets all touched each other yesterday

By *sianMancMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Be responsible.

Eyes wide open!!

Well said fella;

and for those who mock this guys comments, I wonder if you will still mock when you, or a loved one catches the virus

its easy to play the big man and say this is not a worry, but I consider anyone who says this is not a worry or concern to be a very foolish person."

Thank you very much mate and equally well said back.

Back in january people didn't take it seriously because it was over in china but I did.

Back in February people weren't taking it seriously because it was Korea iran and some in Italy but guess what I did and had already started making plans and set things in motion to self isolate for months as well as protect elderly family friends and neighbours.

Now in March people some have started to take it serious because look at the state of Italy and Europe and yet many still seem not to be but guess what I did.

I've told everyone this will continue for a year and eventually we will need to be in a lock down 1 way or another and some of you will still liken this to the flu. You simply cannot make this apology at all and it would be foolish too.

Back when SARS happened I didnt show concern and rightly so. The seasonal flu to which we do have herd immunity I've never been concerned about or shown awareness towards.

This however I am doing and sharing that point of view here.

Take it or leave it its upto you all.

Also thank you to those messaging me showing support I appreciate that as well and glad some realise the repercussions of this pandemic that many thought would be an endemic only.

Yes to add I took this as a pandemic long before the WHO officially labelled it a pandemic. It was fairly obvious and is fairly obvious what this is as much as it was easily clear Clinton had sexual relations with monica Lewinsky or as obvious as it was that Sadamm didnt have WMDs.

Stay safe people.

By *sianMancMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Be responsible.

Eyes wide open!!

Well said fella;

its easy to play the big man and say this is not a worry, but I consider anyone who says this is not a worry or concern to be a very foolish person.

Thank you very much mate and equally well said back.

Back in january people didn't take it seriously because it was over in china but I did.

Back in February people weren't taking it seriously because it was Korea iran and some in Italy but guess what I did and had already started making plans and set things in motion to self isolate for months as well as protect elderly family friends and neighbours.

Now in March people some have started to take it serious because look at the state of Italy and Europe and yet many still seem not to be but guess what I did.

I've told everyone this will continue for a year and eventually we will need to be in a lock down 1 way or another and some of you will still liken this to the flu. You simply cannot make this apology at all and it would be foolish too.

Back when SARS happened I didnt show concern and rightly so. The seasonal flu to which we do have herd immunity I've never been concerned about or shown awareness towards.

This however I am doing and sharing that point of view here.

Take it or leave it its upto you all.

Also thank you to those messaging me showing support I appreciate that as well and glad some realise the repercussions of this pandemic that many thought would be an endemic only.

Yes to add I took this as a pandemic long before the WHO officially labelled it a pandemic. It was fairly obvious and is fairly obvious what this is as much as it was easily clear Clinton had sexual relations with monica Lewinsky or as obvious as it was that Sadamm didnt have WMDs.

Stay safe people."

Excuse the typos...rush typing as rushing about and my phone likes to change get words too lol

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Unpopular opinion but I do think there's a lot of unnecessary panic. In the end pandemics are good for the human population. Yes its shit for the invdividuals ( and my family would come into that) but thats a selfish way to think. "

I'm sure what the upside is to potentially millions of dead if I'm honest.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I am worried about my parents who are both in their 80s and their health and strength is declining.

I'm not worried about my own health. I would probably recover from it and it would be a relief to know I almost certainly won't get it again.

I am mostly worried about the economy. A lot of people all over the world are going to suffer terribly financially as livelihoods are lost.

Luke

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I had a mini meltdown on the phone to jay as i dont know when i will see him again

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

1 person dies evry 4 minutes in Italy....

Think we need to be worried.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I'm taking this virus thing very seriously, I honestly think it is going to get a lot lot worse in every aspect of our lives over the next few months and the economic repercussions are going to be with us for years. I do think it can be lessened if everyone uses common sense.

But! Today we went shopping, Jesus Christ (excuse) people have gone mad, absolutely fucking mad, some young people pushed an elderly couple out of the way to get at toilet roll even though there was plenty enough on the shelves for another half an hour at least, complete pandemonium. Common sense? I think we're fucked, it will end up with martial law before it's through if everywhere is like that "

Ive seen it here too.

People saying the hoarding is bad yet doing it themselves. The fucking morons

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

I'd be more concerned about the total breakdown of law and order rather than the virus...

over a year ago

"I'd be more concerned about the total breakdown of law and order rather than the virus..."

And not to mention the people who are waiting for the likes of heart surgery eh

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Anyone remember Chicken Licken? Went around saying the sky was falling down?

Sound familiar.......?

The world is not going to end. This is NOT an Extinction Level Event.

China has proved it is possible to let it peak quickly and then move on. It’s all reopened and pretty much going back to normal. Their infection rates are now extremely low.

And we have been told this will be like seasonal flu and keep coming round year after year. Are we really going to react like this every 6 months?? No.

We ALL need to be sensible and take reasonable precautions but to expect the entire population to simply stop working is pure fantasy. The government would be bankrupt in 4 weeks if everyone started claiming benefits with no tax income.

Be safe. Be careful. Help those with weak immune systems if you can.

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"I am worried about my parents who are both in their 80s and their health and strength is declining.

I'm not worried about my own health. I would probably recover from it and it would be a relief to know I almost certainly won't get it again.

I am mostly worried about the economy. A lot of people all over the world are going to suffer terribly financially as livelihoods are lost.

Luke "

This is spot on

over a year ago

"Anyone remember Chicken Licken? Went around saying the sky was falling down?

Sound familiar.......?

China has proved it is possible to let it peak quickly and then move on. It’s all reopened and pretty much going back to normal. Their infection rates are now extremely low.

And we have been told this will be like seasonal flu and keep coming round year after year. Are we really going to react like this every 6 months?? No.

We ALL need to be sensible and take reasonable precautions but to expect the entire population to simply stop working is pure fantasy. The government would be bankrupt in 4 weeks if everyone started claiming benefits with no tax income.

"

Do you have any idea how China managed to stop its infection rate?

Complete and total lock down. Policed.

So no, we won’t get through it like they have if we take different tactics.

over a year ago

Sound familiar.......?

"

So you think boris is going to build the 40 hospitals he promised us in weeks like china did? Cos that's what we will need in 2 weeks time when the shit hits the fan

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"I'd be more concerned about the total breakdown of law and order rather than the virus..."

This will potentially kill / have long lasting effects way beyond the virus.

Given the title of the thread on psychology (although sociology comes into play here a lot, and reading all the comments.

I’m not panicking, nor am I complacent. I might make some jokes but that is one of my coping mechanisms and none are directed at specific people or countries.

What the panic buying illustrates, is exactly why the WHO delayed announcing it as a pandemic. Pandemic = pandemonium. As our mammalian brain (and in some cases reptilian brain) takes over.

The reason so many people stayed so calm during the wars, was that information was deliberately withheld, or slanted. That was propaganda. With 24 hour media, and worse still social media hysteria, things are bound to get out of hand.

I could say so much more about the psychology or nation’s psyche at large but people tend not to read long posts.

over a year ago

Be responsible.

Eyes wide open!!"

Wow this some one got abot excited, I was just going to add I like a slice of lime in my corona bit if I'm going to have that style beer I would probably go with a desperados

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Sound familiar.......?

So you think boris is going to build the 40 hospitals he promised us in weeks like china did? Cos that's what we will need in 2 weeks time when the shit hits the fan "

Is he bollocks!!! And that’s why it’s been decided to stretch this out over months.

The NHS simply does not have the resources to deal with a spike. Simple.

But people will die unfortunately. FACT.

People will be out of work and unable to feed or house their families. FACT.

The longer it goes on the worse it will be for low income families and people who work in hospitality areas etc. FACT.

The government will NOT help these people. They’re on their own. FACT.

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

I’m not worried for me I’m fit and healthy but I obviously am for the more vulnerable in society I work in mental health in the community supporting people with a mental health diagnosis . I can’t stay home and work who cares for the people i support so here in Wales today the Surgery’s have remain closed everyone has had a text saying phone calls will be the order of the day if you have an appointment can you imagine the impact just this is having if you have a mental health diagnosis

over a year ago

Sound familiar.......?

So you think boris is going to build the 40 hospitals he promised us in weeks like china did? Cos that's what we will need in 2 weeks time when the shit hits the fan

Is he bollocks!!! And that’s why it’s been decided to stretch this out over months.

The longer it goes on the worse it will be for low income families and people who work in hospitality areas etc. FACT.

"

Thanks for the rant but my question one you making a throw away comment about china can do it...so therefore we can.

They handled it in a way that we never could. FACT

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"I’m not worried for me I’m fit and healthy but I obviously am for the more vulnerable in society I work in mental health in the community supporting people with a mental health diagnosis . I can’t stay home and work who cares for the people i support so here in Wales today the Surgery’s have remain closed everyone has had a text saying phone calls will be the order of the day if you have an appointment can you imagine the impact just this is having if you have a mental health diagnosis "

I’m in a similar role and we are also only doing telephone appointments from tomorrow. I visit clients in their homes. Not because they’re lazy but because they can’t get out for whatever reason. That safety net for them is now gone.

Telephone appointments may be all very well, but there’s no substitute for face to face where I can pick up a lot more through body language. The rapport is damaged too by being on the end of the phone

over a year ago

Why do people keep saying stupidy is worse than the virus?

Has stupidy over this pandemic killed 53 people in the UK? If not then it isn't worse.

By *sianMancMan
over a year ago

Manchester

The imperial college who are doing the risk assessment and the team focused on Covid-19 have released a document which is very scary and sad.

250,000 expected to die best case scenario.

Total lockdown is best solution ideally.

More clear about those at risk.

Expecting this to drag out for atleast 12-18months.

What I wrote above stands and is proven correct.

Please self isolate and reduce social interaction now before it's too late.

Thank you

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Sound familiar.......?

Thanks for the rant but my question one you making a throw away comment about china can do it...so therefore we can.

They handled it in a way that we never could. FACT"

People in China are better behaved than we are

over a year ago

"Stupidity is far more dangerous than the virus.

Went to do a weekly shop as normal yesterday. Couldn’t get into Lidl. Farm Foods looked like a scene from Shaun of the Dead, but with more zombies."

Yep, this is more worrying than the virus.

The same folk who probably preach and rant about the inequalities in society are likely to be the same one's who are panic buying and pushing old people out of the hand sanitiser and loo roll queues.

over a year ago

"I'd be more concerned about the total breakdown of law and order rather than the virus...

Given the title of the thread on psychology (although sociology comes into play here a lot, and reading all the comments.

I’m not panicking, nor am I complacent. I might make some jokes but that is one of my coping mechanisms and none are directed at specific people or countries.

What the panic buying illustrates, is exactly why the WHO delayed announcing it as a pandemic. Pandemic = pandemonium. As our mammalian brain (and in some cases reptilian brain) takes over.

The reason so many people stayed so calm during the wars, was that information was deliberately withheld, or slanted. That was propaganda. With 24 hour media, and worse still social media hysteria, things are bound to get out of hand.

I could say so much more about the psychology or nation’s psyche at large but people tend not to read long posts.

"

We all have lots of time to read. Go on

By *an For YouMan
over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Please god let someone hassle me in a supermarket

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's fairly low chance to be caught at present, if your strategies are appropriate but it will increase.

Most people who get it aren't going to get terribly awful symptoms. Some who don't die will get very severe viral pneumonia, potentially suffering for weeks - it's not a quick bug that's experienced for evetyone! Some may struggle and feel they're dieing, a few will, as their lungs struggle to uptake oxygen and deliver it to our body. We should not be expecting that it's just a walk in the park!

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Went to do a weekly shop as normal yesterday. Couldn’t get into Lidl. Farm Foods looked like a scene from Shaun of the Dead, but with more zombies.

The same folk who probably preach and rant about the inequalities in society are likely to be the same one's who are panic buying and pushing old people out of the hand sanitiser and loo roll queues. "

Have any proof of that?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I'd be more concerned about the total breakdown of law and order rather than the virus...

We all have lots of time to read. Go on "

I think society was a lot different in the 40s to what it is now.

There was much more cohesion for a start.Since The 80s in this country especially we have become a much more atomised society.

That's why I think comparisons between now and The 'wartime spirit' are pointless.

over a year ago

Just to get a sense of proportion, the mortality rate is not the area that is causing the concern. The mortality rate is similar to flu.

To date, there have been more deaths caused by flue.

The concern is the speed at which the virus is spreading. Without precautions, it’s predicted 80% of the population will contract it. With a fatality rate estimated at 3%, that’s a lot of pressure on the health services.

I see in Portugal vets have stepped in to help, as most of their equipment comes from the same supplies as the hospitals and ultimately a respiratory infection is treated in the same way with any species.

I think we should go a similar route. Anyone with more than 12 toilet rolls must delete their GPs number and add that if their local vet.

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

We all have lots of time to read. Go on "

Well as I’m fascinated by behaviours, I can get a bit carried away, so I don’t want to A. Send people to sleep. B. Sound like I’m from Sydney University

over a year ago

The same folk who probably preach and rant about the inequalities in society are likely to be the same one's who are panic buying and pushing old people out of the hand sanitiser and loo roll queues. "

Do you think a more positive attitude might help? Personally I haven’t seen any of that kind of behaviour but I would think its far more a result of media induced fear and the panic of seeing people emptying the shelves. It would be far better to ration these items and perhaps employ some of the bouncers who wont have any nightclub work to police the rationing.

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Antivaxxers might be changing their tune

over a year ago

I thought this was a very good article on just this point .....

Is common decency enough? A Guardian article via MSN news...

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB11i4EH?m=en-gb&referrerID=InAppShare

Post new Message to Thread