Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Before we go into lockdown

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Being self employed i'm terrified that there will soon come a time when no one is allowed outside their homes. As a result i find myself working in the pissing rain on a Sunday because, if/when it does eventually happen, i know it won't be long before i go under financially. Anyone else feel the same or changed way they work?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Being self employed i'm terrified that there will soon come a time when no one is allowed outside their homes. As a result i find myself working in the pissing rain on a Sunday because, if/when it does eventually happen, i know it won't be long before i go under financially. Anyone else feel the same or changed way they work?"
exactly but don't worry life has to go on it may be difficult initially but as people realise its not as bad as they first thought it'll bottom out the flu is a life longer part of life and now this new virus is here i imagine so will this

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Being self employed i'm terrified that there will soon come a time when no one is allowed outside their homes. As a result i find myself working in the pissing rain on a Sunday because, if/when it does eventually happen, i know it won't be long before i go under financially. Anyone else feel the same or changed way they work?"

Being retired we don't feel exactly this way but we absolutely understand why you're concerned.

over a year ago

"Being self employed i'm terrified that there will soon come a time when no one is allowed outside their homes. As a result i find myself working in the pissing rain on a Sunday because, if/when it does eventually happen, i know it won't be long before i go under financially. Anyone else feel the same or changed way they work?exactly but don't worry life has to go on it may be difficult initially but as people realise its not as bad as they first thought it'll bottom out the flu is a life longer part of life and now this new virus is here i imagine so will this "
life long part....... i typed life long part jeez

By *uke OzadeMan
over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

I’m in the same boat as you. Fortunately I’ve had recent projects with ridiculous deadlines so have been working long hours and weekends to get them done and commissioned on time. That was just timing but it’s likely to be a huge boost if I need it.

over a year ago

"Being self employed i'm terrified that there will soon come a time when no one is allowed outside their homes. As a result i find myself working in the pissing rain on a Sunday because, if/when it does eventually happen, i know it won't be long before i go under financially. Anyone else feel the same or changed way they work?

Being retired we don't feel exactly this way but we absolutely understand why you're concerned."

I feel as though i have to get it in while i can, two weeks of no income and i'm in trouble, a month and it may well be all over.

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

"Being self employed i'm terrified that there will soon come a time when no one is allowed outside their homes. As a result i find myself working in the pissing rain on a Sunday because, if/when it does eventually happen, i know it won't be long before i go under financially. Anyone else feel the same or changed way they work?

Being retired we don't feel exactly this way but we absolutely understand why you're concerned.

I feel as though i have to get it in while i can, two weeks of no income and i'm in trouble, a month and it may well be all over. "

I don’t know your particular circumstances, but the benefit system is there to help. You might be able to claim some kind of benefit if your income is suddenly zilch.

over a year ago

I feel as though i have to get it in while i can, two weeks of no income and i'm in trouble, a month and it may well be all over. "

It’s not much consolation now, but don’t despair. The government aren’t complete idiots and we’re sure there will be plans in place to cut you some slack if you have a slack period in work. Where we are staying in Gran Canaria the local government has pledged to pay bars etc 75% of lost earnings through enforced closures. Good luck x.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I work for a small care company where the vast majority of careers are working 16 hours due to being parents and fitting the job in around their childcare/school etc.

If the Schools close this will have a massive detrimental effect on the company. We don’t have vast reserves of staff and even though the calls would be scaled right back to essential calls only, it would be catastrophic for everyone we are involved with.

Very worrying to be honest.

By *ogerBottomsMan
over a year ago

Aberdare

"The government aren’t complete idiots"

Are you sure about that?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You must be very worried. I'm hoping that strategies will be put in place for people like you.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"The government aren’t complete idiots

Are you sure about that?"

Individuals yes, as a whole they aren't. They just have different motives and agendas. Some will be looking out for the people, some will be looking out for their own interests and self.

over a year ago

As a builder here in France I’m a bit stuffed as they have just closed all merchants so therefore no materials but on the plus side I don’t think that I’d survive getting the virus due to being a melt of a diabetic so it may be a blessing.

T

over a year ago

I feel as though i have to get it in while i can, two weeks of no income and i'm in trouble, a month and it may well be all over.

You must be very worried. I'm hoping that strategies will be put in place for people like you. "

I hear that i may be able to claim universal credit but i can't imagine that it would be anywhere near enough to cover my outgoings.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You must be very worried. I'm hoping that strategies will be put in place for people like you.

I hear that i may be able to claim universal credit but i can't imagine that it would be anywhere near enough to cover my outgoings."

This is the problem. I think it's a good idea to have a strategy. Contact people you pay on a regular basis find out what they have in place for people in your situation eg some countries have suspended mortgage payments

Hope things work out

By *ucy DuoCouple
over a year ago

Watford

Op, i’m In a similar position, we carry out home renovations, and painting and decorating. I have had three jobs cancelled last week. People are also uncertain about their jobs and income. I feel your angst.

L

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"I don’t know your particular circumstances, but the benefit system is there to help. You might be able to claim some kind of benefit if your income is suddenly zilch. "

sorry but the benefit system wont help

Its a 5 week wait for anything and being self employed its even worse.

Like the op I cant stop.

I have to continue and meet others, Whilst trying not to catch it or pass it to others.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

We are sekf employed and becauseof the natureof our business, corona and the lock down could have a massive impact on our income. We very much doubt we will be compensated. This could make us bankrupt, alongside a huge amount of other businesses.

Is there any point in worrying?....no. What will be will be, and we will have to deal with the consequences that could seriously impact the rest of our lives.

over a year ago

I hear that i may be able to claim universal credit but i can't imagine that it would be anywhere near enough to cover my outgoings.

This is the problem. I think it's a good idea to have a strategy. Contact people you pay on a regular basis find out what they have in place for people in your situation eg some countries have suspended mortgage payments

Hope things work out "

Thanks. I think i'm going to have to. I guess this is a consequence of subsistence living, if i've ever been short of cash i've always been able to score more work to make up the shortfall. Soon, i think, that may not be n option.

over a year ago

Not a total solution to it...but on the mortgage side a lot of companies have said they will give a 3 month holiday to those affected by it. Doesn't solve everything but it stops the worry of losing the roof over your head

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Not a total solution to it...but on the mortgage side a lot of companies have said they will give a 3 month holiday to those affected by it. Doesn't solve everything but it stops the worry of losing the roof over your head "

What is there is business rents to pay?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

75% of my income is from self employment. I work from home and take orders online so I technically could carry on but I worry that people will tighten the purse strings and stop buying. I've also had some events that should have been big earners for me cancelled. I have some savings to buy a house so I have a bit of a buffer but I'll be devastated if I have to use that money as it's from inheritance and I doubt I'll ever be able to buy a house if that gets used.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

"75% of my income is from self employment. I work from home and take orders online so I technically could carry on but I worry that people will tighten the purse strings and stop buying. I've also had some events that should have been big earners for me cancelled. I have some savings to buy a house so I have a bit of a buffer but I'll be devastated if I have to use that money as it's from inheritance and I doubt I'll ever be able to buy a house if that gets used. "

it's not good is it.

over a year ago

Not a total solution to it...but on the mortgage side a lot of companies have said they will give a 3 month holiday to those affected by it. Doesn't solve everything but it stops the worry of losing the roof over your head

What is there is business rents to pay?"

It's a international emergency with a goal to slow this down. Surely emergency halts on payments need to come into force?

over a year ago

It's a international emergency with a goal to slow this down. Surely emergency halts on payments need to come into force?"

An instant freeze is about the only thing that will help but it won't help that much.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

It's a international emergency with a goal to slow this down. Surely emergency halts on payments need to come into force?"

Needs to, yes. But will it?....very much doubt it.

over a year ago

It's a international emergency with a goal to slow this down. Surely emergency halts on payments need to come into force?

An instant freeze is about the only thing that will help but it won't help that much."

I agree mate...its going to be hard for all. But we bailed the banks out. Now I think it should be payback time and the little bloke gets some help

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Will we be compensated for loss of income due to self isolation/lock down?

over a year ago

"Will we be compensated for loss of income due to self isolation/lock down?"

I doubt it...but it's a emergency so help to get through it would be something...

over a year ago

An instant freeze is about the only thing that will help but it won't help that much.

I agree mate...its going to be hard for all. But we bailed the banks out. Now I think it should be payback time and the little bloke gets some help "

In an ideal world.

Post new Message to Thread