Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Self Isolation for over 70s

Jump to newest

By *arkus1812 OP   Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Seemingly the government are about to issue a compulsory isolation for over 70s lasting for 4 months.

I will be unable to have my heart operation on 4th May.

I will have to kick my builders out leaving an almost uninhabitable house.

I will not be able to M.O.T. my car.

But worst of all no FAB meets.

The words "Headless Chickens" seems appropriate for this bloody government

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My mum cares for my child while this nhs worker continues.

Dominoe effect.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

My first thought was for the poor old souls who are already isolated with no one to help look after them or collect their pensions so they can buy food etc, some already rely on home help, will self isolation affect that too? Basically there is the chance some vulnerable elderly will die from neglect ( nothing new there ) the days of looking after each other have gone

By *nlyIfItsWorthItMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

Working in a dementia care home - you can imagine the current headache with all this

over a year ago

I’ll do what I can for the local old folk here. Even if it’s just dropping off their daily paper and milk.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm hoping that there will be things out in place to help and that the rest of us who are still able to get out help.

I'm concerned for my parents mental health in this scenario as much as their physical health. I can arrange for their shopping, medication etc to be delivered. Their cleaner and carers won't be able to go in I guess although the gardener will be able to work.

I dread to think the state of their house after four months. However what keeps them cheerful is a daily trip out by taxi or mobility scooter. Social isolation is awful.

However in regard to the headless chicken comment, what would you have government do to protect the over 70s?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Working in a dementia care home - you can imagine the current headache with all this"

It must be awful. How are you all coping?

over a year ago

I think it's a soft way of saying it.

I think its bloody irresponsible.

People will now panic buy even more, thinking they will need 4 months supplies.

The sheep will do it anyway, regardless of whether they are over 70!!

People like my mother will not be able to stock up ready for self isolation because the stock wont be there to buy.

Those over 70's who are less tech savvy will suffer and will die, because they will be too afraid to leave their homes to get essentials.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

There are charities that exist to help deal with social isolation and a degree of helping with day to day. I know Age Concern do online delivery through Tesco.

They're not equipped for anything like this, but it's a start. (I imagine they're getting a lot of enquiries at the moment)

over a year ago

I look after elderly, and we have stopped visits from family and "unimportant" meetings. Its pretty much like quarantine when NORO virus hit a few places couple years back. I am lucky I have a good immune system, healthy and rarely get ill, but some people I work with have underlying problems, and we are expecting to go onto a skeleton rota in next couple weeks.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I look after elderly, and we have stopped visits from family and "unimportant" meetings. Its pretty much like quarantine when NORO virus hit a few places couple years back. I am lucky I have a good immune system, healthy and rarely get ill, but some people I work with have underlying problems, and we are expecting to go onto a skeleton rota in next couple weeks. "

Stopping family visits will be crushing

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Seemingly the government are about to issue a compulsory isolation for over 70s lasting for 4 months.

The words "Headless Chickens" seems appropriate for this bloody government "

Its not legally enforceable. Its advisory. Its entirely up to you if you want to do it so you don't necessarily have to kick the builders out. You weigh up what is best for you in your situation. It can't be healthy to live in a half renovated house either!

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Seemingly the government are about to issue a compulsory isolation for over 70s lasting for 4 months.

Fake news ?

over a year ago

I have no idea why the panic buying. My friend has been in lockdown in Milan,they are allowed to go out for shopping.

Some of the stuff I have heard in this..a guy with a trolley full of pasta who refused to give an elderly lady just one bag....... utterly shameful

over a year ago

"I look after elderly, and we have stopped visits from family and "unimportant" meetings. Its pretty much like quarantine when NORO virus hit a few places couple years back. I am lucky I have a good immune system, healthy and rarely get ill, but some people I work with have underlying problems, and we are expecting to go onto a skeleton rota in next couple weeks.

Stopping family visits will be crushing "

Yeah, had a couple emotional incidents, but think it is needed really, two residents died already over winter here, both pneumonia.. So think it's for best.

over a year ago

It's tricky as we need to protect people but I fear isolating the already vulnerable is just going to cause more deaths. People worried about getting medication or medical treatment.

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

The BBC website says -

Over-70s - and younger people with certain health conditions will be told they must remain at home and have groceries and vital medication delivered.

I get the theory of it, it concerns me though that some people don’t have the internet to order online or friends/family to bring groceries etc. I hope that’s all thought of if it comes into force.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I look after elderly, and we have stopped visits from family and "unimportant" meetings. Its pretty much like quarantine when NORO virus hit a few places couple years back. I am lucky I have a good immune system, healthy and rarely get ill, but some people I work with have underlying problems, and we are expecting to go onto a skeleton rota in next couple weeks.

Stopping family visits will be crushing "

I agree, mental well being is going to be difficult to maintain

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I have no idea why the panic buying. My friend has been in lockdown in Milan,they are allowed to go out for shopping.

Some of the stuff I have heard in this..a guy with a trolley full of pasta who refused to give an elderly lady just one bag....... utterly shameful "

I'm pretty sure a large number of people have no idea why they are even doing it. I mean I'm sure they know about covid-19 etc but I'm general they are doing it just because, being sheep and afraid of missing out on the new "trend".

over a year ago

It's wrong totally out of order and to say it's for their own protection. It's bullshit.

Old people if they are going to die because of this then they should be allowed to die on their own terms, not forced in to isolation many left to die lonely and hungry because that's what will happen.

Never mind saying it's to slacken the pressure on the NHS most old people would give up their bed if it meant someone younger would survive.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

If my parents were isolated together for four months they would end up killing each other.

over a year ago

North West

I know for a fact that my 80yo father w not isolate himself for any more than about a week. He was in hospital with pneumonia in Jan (he's usually 100% fit) and I had to stay at his house for way longer than necessary, just to stop him going out. The day after discharge, he was going to go out walking for his paper, despite docs advice to rest for 2-3wks min. He will carry on as normal no matter what anyone says because that's him. If he catches COVID-19 and gets seriously ill, I think he'll just take the hit.

My Grandad (mum's dad) had the same attitude on the phone on Friday. I said we thought it best not to visit but he doesn't want that. He said "I've had my life, if this finishes me off, then I've had a wonderful 87yrs and I'll pop off happy."

Now I'm sat here crying......

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

"I know for a fact that my 80yo father w not isolate himself for any more than about a week. He was in hospital with pneumonia in Jan (he's usually 100% fit) and I had to stay at his house for way longer than necessary, just to stop him going out. The day after discharge, he was going to go out walking for his paper, despite docs advice to rest for 2-3wks min. He will carry on as normal no matter what anyone says because that's him. If he catches COVID-19 and gets seriously ill, I think he'll just take the hit.

My Grandad (mum's dad) had the same attitude on the phone on Friday. I said we thought it best not to visit but he doesn't want that. He said "I've had my life, if this finishes me off, then I've had a wonderful 87yrs and I'll pop off happy."

Now I'm sat here crying...... "

Aw that made me well up. My phone bill is going to be massive from ringing my Nan. She wants me to visit but I understand why other family members have said we all shouldn’t for now.

I’m dropping items off on her doorstep and waving through the window.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It's wrong totally out of order and to say it's for their own protection. It's bullshit.

Old people if they are going to die because of this then they should be allowed to die on their own terms, not forced in to isolation many left to die lonely and hungry because that's what will happen.

Never mind saying it's to slacken the pressure on the NHS most old people would give up their bed if it meant someone younger would survive.

"

You sure about that? I darn well wouldn't, if I was in icu I wouldn't be pulling my tubes out for a young 'un. The will to survive is very, very strong and when the chips are down it kicks in.

over a year ago

North West

"I know for a fact that my 80yo father w not isolate himself for any more than about a week. He was in hospital with pneumonia in Jan (he's usually 100% fit) and I had to stay at his house for way longer than necessary, just to stop him going out. The day after discharge, he was going to go out walking for his paper, despite docs advice to rest for 2-3wks min. He will carry on as normal no matter what anyone says because that's him. If he catches COVID-19 and gets seriously ill, I think he'll just take the hit.

Now I'm sat here crying......

Aw that made me well up. My phone bill is going to be massive from ringing my Nan. She wants me to visit but I understand why other family members have said we all shouldn’t for now.

I’m dropping items off on her doorstep and waving through the window. "

My Dad lives 50mins drive away, my Grandad over an hour. I can't just pop round easily. My Mum lives with my Grandad, so he'll fine and looked after well. But neither of them actually care about the idea of dying due to this virus. My Dad could easily have died in Jan from whatever he had. My Grandad was seriously ill over Christmas and so it's the same. They'd rather just enjoy their later years and if a virus kills them, we are instructed to celebrate their lives, not mourn their deaths. I honestly don't think either of them will stay home for a month, or even a whole week. My Grandad is pissed that all his social activities are being cancelled, concerts, theatre etc.

over a year ago

I've agreed not to visit my family next weekend (mother days).. Both my folks have underlying health problems and over 75. I think i will probably try to face time or Skype them

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

My mum is 82 and is very active/busy.

She said it’ll drive her crazy, but knows it’s not really about her. She realises it would be highly irresponsible towards other people if she just ignored it and carried on as normal.

She also accepts that most/all of the things she likes doing won’t be happening anyway.

over a year ago

"It's wrong totally out of order and to say it's for their own protection. It's bullshit.

You sure about that? I darn well wouldn't, if I was in icu I wouldn't be pulling my tubes out for a young 'un. The will to survive is very, very strong and when the chips are down it kicks in. "

Too bloody true

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"The BBC website says -

Over-70s - and younger people with certain health conditions will be told they must remain at home and have groceries and vital medication delivered.

I get the theory of it, it concerns me though that some people don’t have the internet to order online or friends/family to bring groceries etc. I hope that’s all thought of if it comes into force. "

Yes my 93 year old nan still uses a VCR instead of a DVD player, nevermind having internet access. I do wonder how they expect elderly people who require daily carers to isolate?

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple
over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

Don't have any more to add to what's been said other than hopefully the government will wake up and come forward with a future crisis plan. The mass buying, the profiteering and the misinformation are now the key areas to develop strategic planning for in the public arena. There needs a national plan for such events. Then there is the reporting of the events, which has been about filling inches/time for the outlet, even misreporting (deliberately maybe?) and finally the health care and blue light services need to have a baseline of understanding backed up with equipment available.

By *herryblossom_BJWoman
over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

I heard it wasn't up to 4 months as they know its unrealistic. Need to watch the news again for the facts

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Your criticising them and are pissed off because the government are prioritising and considering the over 70s ahead of the rest of us????

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

We’ve just set up a Facebook group in our area to look after all the old people we know with shopping and checking in on them, many aren’t on the group but we are finding them and getting in touch

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"the government are prioritising and considering the over 70s ahead of the rest of us

"

How is telling the over 70s to stay indoors for four months prioritising them ? Anyone could choose to do it.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

"We’ve just set up a Facebook group in our area to look after all the old people we know with shopping and checking in on them, many aren’t on the group but we are finding them and getting in touch "

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I think the interpretation of the terminology being used is perhaps leading to more anxiety than maybe necessary.

Self isolation and lockdown in the literal interpretation would be pretty frightening for most people.

I take it to mean avoiding non essential contact. People in Italy under ‘lockdown’ are still getting groceries when necessary, still going to chemists when necessary and lots of people are still at work.

Maybe I’m the one interpreting it wrongly, those are just my thoughts.

over a year ago

"I think the interpretation of the terminology being used is perhaps leading to more anxiety than maybe necessary.

Self isolation and lockdown in the literal interpretation would be pretty frightening for most people.

I take it to mean avoiding non essential contact. People in Italy under ‘lockdown’ are still getting groceries when necessary, still going to chemists when necessary and lots of people are still at work.

Maybe I’m the one interpreting it wrongly, those are just my thoughts. "

I agree.

It may be that before long we will all be under similar restrictions to Italy. The reason that Italians are abiding by these rules is because they can see the impact of the virus. When this really kicks off in a few weeks, maybe people will be more inclined to do what’s necessary to keep us all safe.

We need to pitch in and do what we can to help eachother and think of the greater good of the population.

over a year ago

staying in for weeks/months may not be fun but at the end of it many will be alive that may not be otherwise!

over a year ago

here

"the government are prioritising and considering the over 70s ahead of the rest of us

How is telling the over 70s to stay indoors for four months prioritising them ? Anyone could choose to do it. "

It’s keeping them away from potential infection

over a year ago

here

"We’ve just set up a Facebook group in our area to look after all the old people we know with shopping and checking in on them, many aren’t on the group but we are finding them and getting in touch "

over a year ago

Aww my 80 yr old neighbour said the same. Said she has had a wonderful life and if this is it then so be it

over a year ago

All the feisty 70 yr olds suddenly become 69 upon questioning at the doors of the supermarket.

By *arkus1812 OP   Man
over a year ago

Your criticising them and are pissed off because the government are prioritising and considering the over 70s ahead of the rest of us????

"

Where does it say I am pissed off, I just quoted how it affected me, I seek no special treatment despite being male,over 80 and with underlying health issues. I am however concerned how the government have reacted since day 1 of the crisis, This is a new government with quite a lot of novice and inexperienced ministers and a hesitant leader, I was hoping for better.

By *arkus1812 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fake news ?

"

Care to explain the fake news comment.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

[Removed by poster at 15/03/20 12:34:40]

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"All the feisty 70 yr olds suddenly become 69 upon questioning at the doors of the supermarket. "

Imagine being told you can't buy a Babycham because you look too old.

over a year ago

here

Where does it say I am pissed off, I just quoted how it affected me, I seek no special treatment despite being male,over 80 and with underlying health issues. I am however concerned how the government have reacted since day 1 of the crisis, This is a new government with quite a lot of novice and inexperienced ministers and a hesitant leader, I was hoping for better."

The science and medical advisers are infinitely more experienced and qualified .

if you go to the doctors and they prescribe a medication for you, do you discard it and complain about the way the receptionist handed it to you

over a year ago

As we understand it, self isolation isn't compulsory.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Fake news ?

Care to explain the fake news comment."

Yes

It sounds utterly ridiculous

I guess they are still allowed to smoke ?

It should be their choice if they want to risk going out

It is their lives they are risking

It does not add up

Now by all means tell me I should not contact humans of an arbitrary age in case I kill them but same should be said I should not meet any one at risk of heat attack or smokers

It's stupid very very stupid

over a year ago

North West

"As we understand it, self isolation isn't compulsory. "

No, it's advisory. There would have to be some serious legislation imposed to force people to stay at home.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"The BBC website says -

I get the theory of it, it concerns me though that some people don’t have the internet to order online or friends/family to bring groceries etc. I hope that’s all thought of if it comes into force.

Those over 70's who are less tech savvy will suffer and will die, because they will be too afraid to leave their homes to get essentials.

"

The over 60s dont and to be honest here I find it irresponsible to even state it.

You will find many shops will only deliver to your doorstep soon

You cant blame them as they dont want to catch it either.

The government hasnt even stepped in and said everyone who is registered as self issolated gets free delivery to there doorstep.

Which is what it needs.

The elderly need something else as they are not tech savy or internet based.

It could do with a phone line to get groceries delivered in time of need.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"As we understand it, self isolation isn't compulsory.

No, it's advisory. There would have to be some serious legislation imposed to force people to stay at home. "

There we go the word compulsory was the fake word !

Seriously recommend is vastly different to compulsory

Recomend to any vulnerable person regardless of age

Telling an arbitrary age group they cannot sounded fake

It was x

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

In simple terms...the NHS is fucked, was on its knees before this.

Older people are more susceptible to Corona allegedly.

Government don't want beds "blocked" by old people who are going to probably die anyway.

Hence telling them to stay home...out of sight out of mind...

Cynical much?

It stinks.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"In simple terms...the NHS is fucked, was on its knees before this.

Government don't want beds "blocked" by old people who are going to probably die anyway.

Cynical much?

It stinks.

"

Sadly I think you're spot on though.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Ee don't know when or what the conditions will be. Better for this government to reverse the funding cuts on health and social care since 2010, as well as benefits. They're keen to do the wrong things at the wrong times.

Herd immunity priority strategy - wrong.

Prioritisation of economy over lives - wrong

Delay phase out of step with the rest of the world - wrong.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

"

This sentence alone could be pretty much used to sum on the conservatives for the past 50 years.

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I visit my parents twice a week for tea. I've told them that for the four months I'll stare at them through their lounge window whilst eating a bag of chips

over a year ago

here

Cynical much?

It stinks.

"

Have you considered the over 70s isolation is to prevent them catching it .

The message from the medical and science advisers is to help the system not get blocked up by younger healthier people who will survive the virus easily.

Keeping the system open to be able to deal with the elderly and those with real danger of dying from it .

It’s really quite logical and geared towards protecting the elderly and vulnerable

This approach is not out of sight out of mind

By *az080378Woman
over a year ago

Cromer

This is my dad's mentality too unfortunately, he has COPD and asbestosis and can't breath properly at the best of times but still wants to go to the shops and have my brother go round even though his hand washing skills are questionable.

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

What about the over-70s who work? Or those that provide the excellent voluntary services around the country.

What next? Children on lockdown?

Families taking turns at the breakfast table so that they are a certain distance appart from eachother?

By *hedevilKTWoman
over a year ago

milton keynes

"I visit my parents twice a week for tea. I've told them that for the four months I'll stare at them through their lounge window whilst eating a bag of chips "

Use face time then can eat at home

over a year ago

North West

"What about the over-70s who work? Or those that provide the excellent voluntary services around the country.

Families taking turns at the breakfast table so that they are a certain distance appart from eachother?

"

My Dad is 80 and still works. He wanted to go back to work immediately after his hospitalisation in Jan, so he won't be giving up his work any time soon. It's casual, zero hours work and he wouldn't be entitled to any additional benefits in lieu of his salary, as he's a state pensioner. He relies on his income and would struggle without it....

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"What about the over-70s who work? Or those that provide the excellent voluntary services around the country.

My Dad is 80 and still works. He wanted to go back to work immediately after his hospitalisation in Jan, so he won't be giving up his work any time soon. It's casual, zero hours work and he wouldn't be entitled to any additional benefits in lieu of his salary, as he's a state pensioner. He relies on his income and would struggle without it.... "

Aye. It looks like we're about to see the downfall of the "just getting by" economy that has been created.

over a year ago

North West

My Dad is 80 and still works. He wanted to go back to work immediately after his hospitalisation in Jan, so he won't be giving up his work any time soon. It's casual, zero hours work and he wouldn't be entitled to any additional benefits in lieu of his salary, as he's a state pensioner. He relies on his income and would struggle without it....

Aye. It looks like we're about to see the downfall of the "just getting by" economy that has been created. "

We can afford to send him money and we will if we need to, but I know he won't want to accept it.

By *arkus1812 OP   Man
over a year ago

No, it's advisory. There would have to be some serious legislation imposed to force people to stay at home.

It was x"

Early news reports that Hancock would be seeking legislation, that sentence has now gone, however he now states that we will be told to self isolate not asked or advised. I will give it my best shot, too much happening in my life to give up on now.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

It was x

Early news reports that Hancock would be seeking legislation, that sentence has now gone, however he now states that we will be told to self isolate not asked or advised. I will give it my best shot, too much happening in my life to give up on now."

Op I was not blaming you for potential fake news

The web is going to be full of quotes and misquoted and pure fabricated nonsense

I for one will be unable to fathom the truth I feel very vulnerable about this

By *nlyIfItsWorthItMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Working in a dementia care home - you can imagine the current headache with all this

It must be awful. How are you all coping?"

With great difficulty. Visitors are banned and the press are constantly phoning or turning up. We're probably expecting you loose between 5-20 if our residents.

over a year ago

"Working in a dementia care home - you can imagine the current headache with all this

With great difficulty. Visitors are banned and the press are constantly phoning or turning up. We're probably expecting you loose between 5-20 if our residents.

"

Thank you for everything you are doing.

Please remember to look after yourself too. Xx

By *nlyIfItsWorthItMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

Please remember to look after yourself too. Xx"

What a lovely thing to say, thank you xx and thanks for having curves in all the right places too xx

over a year ago

Please remember to look after yourself too. Xx

What a lovely thing to say, thank you xx and thanks for having curves in all the right places too xx"

Oh you are very welcome. Glad to be of service.

over a year ago

Cynical much?

It stinks.

Sadly I think you're spot on though."

Omg, i never thought of it like this...

over a year ago

Cynical much?

It stinks.

Omg, i never thought of it like this..."

And think of the future savings in pensions and healthcare, not insignificant!

over a year ago

Cynical much?

It stinks.

And think of the future savings in pensions and healthcare, not insignificant! "

The inverse pyramid of the baby boomer pension problem solved!

But wait a minute aren't you calling our government a heartless bunch of mercenaries?

Didn't you see Boris Johnson's heart break when he saw the picture of the little boy being treated on the floor?

over a year ago

Cynical much?

It stinks.

And think of the future savings in pensions and healthcare, not insignificant!

The inverse pyramid of the baby boomer pension problem solved!

But wait a minute aren't you calling our government a heartless bunch of mercenaries?

Didn't you see Boris Johnson's heart break when he saw the picture of the little boy being treated on the floor?"

Three words:

The Bullingdon Club

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"

"most old people would give up their bed if it meant someone younger would survive"

I hope that you are old and saying this on your own behalf. If you are younger than 60, then fucking well ask before you throw others under the bus!!

over a year ago

I work in healthcare and have seen firsthand the effects of this virus.The residents I care for are already cut off from their family as we’re in lockdown. Now they will not be going out either. Luckily we have gardens they can walk in.

The first thing myself and Abby did was to cancel all planned Fab meets and club visits. I’ve got a duty of care to protect these vulnerable people.

It’s been an eye opener observing just how many people on here are still determined to visit large clubs and be intimate with strangers come what may.

We’ve all got a duty to be cautious in these uncertain times.

V

over a year ago

"I work in healthcare and have seen firsthand the effects of this virus.The residents I care for are already cut off from their family as we’re in lockdown. Now they will not be going out either. Luckily we have gardens they can walk in.

The first thing myself and Abby did was to cancel all planned Fab meets and club visits. I’ve got a duty of care to protect these vulnerable people.

It’s been an eye opener observing just how many people on here are still determined to visit large clubs and be intimate with strangers come what may.

V"

Exactly how I feel - I’m shocked by the wilful ignorant and resistance to changing their behaviours for the sake of others.

over a year ago

"I work in healthcare and have seen firsthand the effects of this virus.The residents I care for are already cut off from their family as we’re in lockdown. Now they will not be going out either. Luckily we have gardens they can walk in.

V"

By *LFB.Woman
over a year ago

Farnborough.

And all the parents who have their parents picking up children from school probably wont be happy. A lot of the elderly are at school gates to get the grandchildren so that parents can work.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Overdoing the isolation now is easy to remedy by loosening the rules as soon as the picture becomes clearer.

It is impossible to roll back too many people getting infected because of being stupid now.

If two weeks ago the affected towns and cities had closed themselves off, the crisis here would be over by now, there would only have been a handful of deaths, and the economy would have taken a hit of a few billion £. Instead we have to close down everything (if not today, by the end of the week everyone will be shouting for it), there are thousands diagnosed now which actually means over a hundred thousand already infected, there will be at least tens of thousands of deaths, and the cost to the economy will be measured in trillions of £.

over a year ago

Ann Widdecombe slammed for claims coronavirus will be like AIDS - 'not as devastating as feared'

Ann Widdecombe thinks those people pretending to be dead should behave.

Luckily it will only be like AIDS...

"In 2018, around 770 000 [570 000–1.1 million] people died from AIDS-related illnesses worldwide, compared to 1.7 million [1.3 million–2.4 million] in 2004 and 1.2 million [860 000–1.6 million] in 2010"

See? Nothing to worry about. Thanks Ann Widdecombe for putting our minds at ease....

By *an For YouMan
over a year ago

belfast/holywood

I gave up work to volunteer with the elderly so I’m gonna be a busy boy

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"I’ll do what I can for the local old folk here. Even if it’s just dropping off their daily paper and milk."

Me too - it’s up to us to help

over a year ago

V

Exactly how I feel - I’m shocked by the wilful ignorant and resistance to changing their behaviours for the sake of others."

Thank you so much. I’ve been shot down in flames for my views. No casual sexual encounter is worth the risk. x

over a year ago

V"

Excuse my ignorance but do people who work with the elderly not have children. Children who go to schools which will not be closed so we can build this herd immunity?

If it is possible to transmit the virus before showing symptoms then how does one stop the transmission of the virus from schoolkids to to the elderly via careworker parents.

I am struggling to wrap my mind around a gamble which relies on isolating 1.6 million people from the general population.

Then there are those at risk aren't old by immune compromised. Are they just collateral damage?

over a year ago

V

Excuse my ignorance but do people who work with the elderly not have children. Children who go to schools which will not be closed so we can build this herd immunity?

If it is possible to transmit the virus before showing symptoms then how does one stop the transmission of the virus from schoolkids to to the elderly via careworker parents.

I am struggling to wrap my mind around a gamble which relies on isolating 1.6 million people from the general population.

Then there are those at risk aren't old by immune compromised. Are they just collateral damage?"

I don’t follow the governments logic on this either.... I don’t think a halfway lock down is going to work.

By *an For YouMan
over a year ago

belfast/holywood

It really doesn’t matter what the government does . All the keyboard warrior covid 19 experts all have better ideas

over a year ago

"It really doesn’t matter what the government does . All the keyboard warrior covid 19 experts all have better ideas"

Actually using examples such as China and Iran, what happens next is determined ENTIRELY by what the government does.

If Fab keyboard warriors were the only critics I'd say sure. But the WHO are critical too.

over a year ago

V

Then there are those at risk aren't old by immune compromised. Are they just collateral damage?"

It’s not ignorance, but a perfectly logical question.

I wish I had the answer but I don’t. It’s possible for any healthcare worker to be a carrier of the virus but what do you do? Who gives the care if we don’t?

Quite simply it isn’t possible to 100% stop the transmission. However, we can take as many precautions as possible to not put ourselves and others at risk.

over a year ago

Self isolation doesn't mean litteraly lock your self in the house and not see and one if your over 70 and you want to see family or freinds go outside on to your garden or in the street meet them there don't touch or get close so there is a good few meters between you and chat like normal. My mum is recovering from cancer so is in the very vulnerable group so she is self isolating but she is outside doing the gardening she takes her dog on walks but just doesn't go near anyone and washers her hands regular.

over a year ago

V

Then there are those at risk aren't old by immune compromised. Are they just collateral damage?

It’s not ignorance, but a perfectly logical question.

I wish I had the answer but I don’t. It’s possible for any healthcare worker to be a carrier of the virus but what do you do? Who gives the care if we don’t?

Quite simply it isn’t possible to 100% stop the transmission. However, we can take as many precautions as possible to not put ourselves and others at risk."

Should our kids be at school? The government has said they are low risk so there is no point isolating them. But it totally ignores the fact that they will then spread it to others who are high risk.

To give an example at the start of this outbreak BA stopped flights to China even though the virus had spread to other countries. People from China then got interconnecting flights.

Compare this to Israel who say no matter where you come from you need to quarantine for 14 days.

If we are to compare our reaction to any other country it would have to be Iran. I'm not seeing herd immunity bringing down the death toll.

over a year ago

You sure about that? I darn well wouldn't, if I was in icu I wouldn't be pulling my tubes out for a young 'un. The will to survive is very, very strong and when the chips are down it kicks in.

Too bloody true "

Batted! Nice to know who would let a young critically Ill child die to save themselves wow

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i have been all day teaching all my older relative how to use skype and facetime......

it won't be the same as being there, but they all now know how to annoy me after work and at the weekends...

I have told them they can annoy me anytime they like!!!!

over a year ago

Too bloody true

Batted! Nice to know who would let a young critically Ill child die to save themselves wow "

Rewind to a few months back when we crucified the man who wanted to raise taxes to build more hospitals...

We are all prepared to give up our lives for others. Just not pay more tax? Hmmmmm.

Bottom line is that in the world's 5th richest country we should be able to treat everyone. The threat of pandemic was not just a possibility but an inevitability. What is just as inevitable is that there will be more pandemics, possibly more deadly. So perhaps if we truly care we should be voting for governments who put their citizens before their rich corrupt friends.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

in a weird way this is kinda bringing families together as i have had a ton of chats with the younger family over the last few days over who is going to what for who and when... and the main thing is keeping in touch more often than we do.....

over a year ago

"i have been all day teaching all my older relative how to use skype and facetime......

it won't be the same as being there, but they all now know how to annoy me after work and at the weekends...

I have told them they can annoy me anytime they like!!!! "

Good man

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"in a weird way this is kinda bringing families together as i have had a ton of chats with the younger family over the last few days over who is going to what for who and when... and the main thing is keeping in touch more often than we do....."

Yes, I think there is something of that going on. Communities are pulling together to help in lots of ways. We have lots of older people in this country who live alone far from relatives, and will need assistance in the coming weeks and months.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Four months seems an incredible amount of time. I know my folks would go mad stuck in their four walls every day with no visits from anyone

Luckily one of each pairs has someone under 70 so at least one can escape the boredom of it all and collect supplies

over a year ago

"most old people would give up their bed if it meant someone younger would survive"

I hope that you are old and saying this on your own behalf. If you are younger than 60, then fucking well ask before you throw others under the bus!!"

Such abuse and aggression I never said throwing anyone under a bus did I???

Human nature and fear brings out the worst in people dont you think.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

There is no way my mum who is 80 will stay in. They can only advice these people but can not stop them. It is their risk to take.

over a year ago

UK pleas for ventilator production

"Hancock said the British government was working to buy all available ventilators and he urged manufacturing companies to switch production to the machines. The British Medical Association blamed the shortage on NHS underfunding"

By *essons in LustCouple
over a year ago

huddersfield

"The BBC website says -

I get the theory of it, it concerns me though that some people don’t have the internet to order online or friends/family to bring groceries etc. I hope that’s all thought of if it comes into force. "

I have a disabled child with severe medical problems at home and a parent over 70 in another house that

is having chemo

Both separately supposed to isolate but in both our houses others live alongside who are working with the public or still attending schools !

Impossible to stop the spread I think and about to be a nightmare I’m afraid

over a year ago

The entire policy is a farce. The fatality rate stands at 2.55% today. Extrapolate that to the herd immunity level of 36 million cases and that gives you a total of over 900,000 deaths. Nearly all of which will be in the over 70a and the people with underlying health problems.

over a year ago

"The entire policy is a farce. The fatality rate stands at 2.55% today. Extrapolate that to the herd immunity level of 36 million cases and that gives you a total of over 900,000 deaths. Nearly all of which will be in the over 70a and the people with underlying health problems.

"

It's a risk Boris is willing to take.

over a year ago

here

"The entire policy is a farce. The fatality rate stands at 2.55% today. Extrapolate that to the herd immunity level of 36 million cases and that gives you a total of over 900,000 deaths. Nearly all of which will be in the over 70a and the people with underlying health problems.

"

What’s your solution ?

over a year ago

"

Here is a link giving stats as pertains to age:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

There are currently more than 11.9 million people aged 65 and over in the UK, with 3.2 million aged 80 and over and 1.6 million aged 85 and over.

Now do the math...

over a year ago

"I think it's a soft way of saying it.

People like my mother will not be able to stock up ready for self isolation because the stock wont be there to buy.

Those over 70's who are less tech savvy will suffer and will die, because they will be too afraid to leave their homes to get essentials."

And lets remember the goverment have now said the pensioners have to pay for a tv licence.

Erm if they cannt go out and not computer savy. How can they pick up

their pensions from the post office to pay their tv licence.. all gone. mad

over a year ago

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/14/italians-80-will-left-die-country-overwhelmed-coronavirus/

After a lifetime of paying taxes when it comes to the triage crunch over 80's come off second best it seems.

This is unbelievably sad

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I'm waiting to see the finer detail of the policy before casting judgement, however I'm not entirely sure it will be workable - many of the over 70s are receiving regular treatment for various ailments, that if left untreated will exacerbate not only the problems for those individuals, but also the burden on the NHS potentially.

Then you have things like how they will expect those over 70 and living with under 70s to isolate - if the under 70 members of the household aren't expected to isolate also it somewhat makes a mockery of pushing the over 70s to do so.

So many unknowns around the situation and potential measures it's difficult to get a grasp on its likely effectiveness.

over a year ago

"https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/14/italians-80-will-left-die-country-overwhelmed-coronavirus/

After a lifetime of paying taxes when it comes to the triage crunch over 80's come off second best it seems.

This is unbelievably sad "

It is!

over a year ago

"I'm waiting to see the finer detail of the policy before casting judgement, however I'm not entirely sure it will be workable - many of the over 70s are receiving regular treatment for various ailments, that if left untreated will exacerbate not only the problems for those individuals, but also the burden on the NHS potentially.

Then you have things like how they will expect those over 70 and living with under 70s to isolate - if the under 70 members of the household aren't expected to isolate also it somewhat makes a mockery of pushing the over 70s to do so.

So many unknowns around the situation and potential measures it's difficult to get a grasp on its likely effectiveness."

I've just had this conversation with a business associate who doesn't want to attend meetings because he does not want to pass COVID-19 to his sickly elderly family. Yet his son goes to school on a daily basis... so how does that work?

I would like to see an organization of volunteers of people who have recovered from COVID-19 to keep things going.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"I'm waiting to see the finer detail of the policy before casting judgement, however I'm not entirely sure it will be workable - many of the over 70s are receiving regular treatment for various ailments, that if left untreated will exacerbate not only the problems for those individuals, but also the burden on the NHS potentially.

So many unknowns around the situation and potential measures it's difficult to get a grasp on its likely effectiveness.

I've just had this conversation with a business associate who doesn't want to attend meetings because he does not want to pass COVID-19 to his sickly elderly family. Yet his son goes to school on a daily basis... so how does that work?

I would like to see an organization of volunteers of people who have recovered from COVID-19 to keep things going."

As I've said all along, all you can do, as an individual, is try and carry on as normally as possible, whilst being aware and following the current guidelines, keep informed and be prepared to make changes as things develop - beyond that it's mostly guesswork that you'll tie yourself in knots trying to figure out.

The trouble is there is so much misinformation about that it can be difficult to know what is correct, and many are leaping on stuff they read on Facebook as being accurate, when it often isn't.

over a year ago

I would like to see an organization of volunteers of people who have recovered from COVID-19 to keep things going.

As I've said all along, all you can do, as an individual, is try and carry on as normally as possible, whilst being aware and following the current guidelines, keep informed and be prepared to make changes as things develop - beyond that it's mostly guesswork that you'll tie yourself in knots trying to figure out.

The trouble is there is so much misinformation about that it can be difficult to know what is correct, and many are leaping on stuff they read on Facebook as being accurate, when it often isn't."

I'm carrying on as normal. I have no one to pass the virus on to. So I'm booked for two bi nights at the end of the month. I get the feeling however I'm still going be an individual as in I might be at a party on my own

over a year ago

In an open letter, more than 295 academics living and working in the UK backed calls for immediate measures to restrict the spread of Covid-19. They criticised the UK’s strategy of delaying restrictions in a bid to achieve ”herd immunity”, arguing that it would put the NHS under even more stress.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-uk-deaths-us-travel-ban-lockdown-france-spain-isolation-a9402636.html

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I would like to see an organization of volunteers of people who have recovered from COVID-19 to keep things going."

Easier said than done since they are no longer testing potential cases. It's impossible to establish who has had the this particular virus rather than one of the other similar ones.

over a year ago

Easier said than done since they are no longer testing potential cases. It's impossible to establish who has had the this particular virus rather than one of the other similar ones."

Is this true?

How then do we have reports on the latest new cases?

"The death of 10 more coronavirus patients across the UK on Saturday and a surge in the number of people confirmed to have been infected prompted Boris Johnson to announce radical plans for a “national effort” to tackle the epidemic"

How is this surge known when people are no longer being tested?

By *hezuMan
over a year ago

London

Boris wants to reduce death toll while having the least economic impact

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Easier said than done since they are no longer testing potential cases. It's impossible to establish who has had the this particular virus rather than one of the other similar ones.

Is this true?

"The death of 10 more coronavirus patients across the UK on Saturday and a surge in the number of people confirmed to have been infected prompted Boris Johnson to announce radical plans for a “national effort” to tackle the epidemic"

How is this surge known when people are no longer being tested?"

Guesswork?

The current advice is to just self isolate. This means that the government actually has no idea how many cases there are.

It may be that only confirmed serious cases are being recorded. I think they want to try to create hard immunity.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Is this true?

This

And could I have the statistics for other causes of death Oct to Feb please

Something still does not tally

over a year ago

Is this true?

They are only testing people who are hospitalised because of it.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

Is this true?

It is true and those that died all had other underlying illnesses so had presumably been tested whilst in hospital.

There is however no widespread testing so whether there actually has been a surge or not cannot be known, and may never be - it's the season for people to come down with "normal" flu and colds which will have similar symptoms to corona - so there will be many self-isolating who then recover and may not have had corona at all - which actually makes the suggestion for those who have recovered to step in to assist others a somewhat worrying scenario as it could assist the spread

By *arkus1812 OP   Man
over a year ago

There are currently more than 11.9 million people aged 65 and over in the UK, with 3.2 million aged 80 and over and 1.6 million aged 85 and over.

Now do the math... "

Stats from same source for U.K.

Cases: 1372

Deaths: 35

Active: 1319

Recovered: 18

Serious Cases 20

Cases per million of population 20.2

over a year ago

"

Is this true?

It is true and those that died all had other underlying illnesses so had presumably been tested whilst in hospital.

There is however no widespread testing so whether there actually has been a surge or not cannot be known, and may never be - it's the season for people to come down with "normal" flu and colds which will have similar symptoms to corona - so there will be many self-isolating who then recover and may not have had corona at all - which actually makes the suggestion for those who have recovered to step in to assist others a somewhat worrying scenario as it could assist the spread"

I wasn't suggesting that people who got flu and recovered help out. Just people who have been tested for COVID-19, found positive and recovered.

It's basically a good idea until people put words one one's mouth to make it sound redicilous.

over a year ago

Tony Yates quotes Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser, as explaining part of the reason for not embracing bans (on gatherings) is to encourage “herd immunity”. Surely this is a misinterpretation of what herd immunity is? Before the polio vaccine was developed people got polio. They didn’t get herd immunity. Herd immunity is predicated on vaccination and it is the vaccinated who constitute the herd, not those with the disease. No vaccine just means more disease, not more immunity. This seems like a dangerous misunderstanding for one in such a pivotal role to make.

Dr Andrew Platman

GP retired, Beckenham, Kent

over a year ago

North West

"Tony Yates quotes Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser, as explaining part of the reason for not embracing bans (on gatherings) is to encourage “herd immunity”. Surely this is a misinterpretation of what herd immunity is? Before the polio vaccine was developed people got polio. They didn’t get herd immunity. Herd immunity is predicated on vaccination and it is the vaccinated who constitute the herd, not those with the disease. No vaccine just means more disease, not more immunity. This seems like a dangerous misunderstanding for one in such a pivotal role to make.

Dr Andrew Platman

GP retired, Beckenham, Kent"

Granted. However polio almost always causes very serious disease, with either permenant disability or death as the outcome. This virus doesn't. The overwhelming majority of cases are very mild, with deaths occurring pretty much only in the very elderly and/or people with significant pre existing health conditions. That's one reason why acquiring herd immunity to this virus is being considered. The Government wouldn't approach Ebola virus, for example, in the same way, because it kills around 70% of people who get it.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

Is this true?

There is however no widespread testing so whether there actually has been a surge or not cannot be known, and may never be - it's the season for people to come down with "normal" flu and colds which will have similar symptoms to corona - so there will be many self-isolating who then recover and may not have had corona at all - which actually makes the suggestion for those who have recovered to step in to assist others a somewhat worrying scenario as it could assist the spread

I wasn't suggesting that people who got flu and recovered help out. Just people who have been tested for COVID-19, found positive and recovered.

It's basically a good idea until people put words one one's mouth to make it sound redicilous. "

No words inserted here other than in your perception of what I said - what I said was the fact that most people aren't being tested means that people won't *know* whether they had it or not - which in itself would limit the number of people able to assist.

And even then the fact that it isn't *known* that once you have had it (and recovered) whether you are then immune from catching it again may be a factor to consider.

The idea in principle is a good one - whether the practice would be viable is unknown is basically all I am saying.

over a year ago

On a mooch

Is this true?

On the government website it says now only testing those hospitalised with respiratory illnesses, flu like symptoms and underlying medical issues.

You will never know the true number of those who have had it and recovered. Some could have already had it without knowing as it’s similar to the flu if not in one of the risk categories

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

What about the over 70’s who still work?

over a year ago

North West

"What about the over 70’s who still work? "

No one realises so many do. As I've said above, if my 80yo Dad does in fact decide to follow the advice, he'll end up with no wages as he's zero hours, so we'll probably end up subbing him. It's a good job we can afford to do so.

By *ovegames42Man
over a year ago

london

"I have no idea why the panic buying. My friend has been in lockdown in Milan,they are allowed to go out for shopping.

Some of the stuff I have heard in this..a guy with a trolley full of pasta who refused to give an elderly lady just one bag....... utterly shameful "

Yes disgusting behaviour, however surely the shops should be taking some responsibility in times like these and limiting the amount each person can purchase.

What will happen if supplies from manufacturers can’t be delivered because the drivers are in isolation.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

Some of the stuff I have heard in this..a guy with a trolley full of pasta who refused to give an elderly lady just one bag....... utterly shameful

Yes disgusting behaviour, however surely the shops should be taking some responsibility in times like these and limiting the amount each person can purchase.

What will happen if supplies from manufacturers can’t be delivered because the drivers are in isolation. "

I agree the shops should take more responsibility to stop people being greedy - was in Waitrose last weekend and overheard another customer asking an assistant if they had any toilet paper to be told that one man had come in that morning and cleaned them out - which begs the question why Waitrose let him.

Was pleased to see Aldi have announced they are limiting customers to a maximum of four items per product to help manage the demand

over a year ago

"

Is this true?

It's basically a good idea until people put words one one's mouth to make it sound redicilous.

No words inserted here other than in your perception of what I said - what I said was the fact that most people aren't being tested means that people won't *know* whether they had it or not - which in itself would limit the number of people able to assist.

And even then the fact that it isn't *known* that once you have had it (and recovered) whether you are then immune from catching it again may be a factor to consider.

The idea in principle is a good one - whether the practice would be viable is unknown is basically all I am saying."

Well if there are 232 reported new cases one assumes they are all hospitalised to be diagnosed. And if they don't all die we will have people in a unique position to help out.

If people can get reinfected with COVID-19 then what on earth is 'herd immunity'?

There are a lot of people, epidemiologists, doctors etc who are calling herd immunity nonesense and just a callous way of doing nothing. It's not proven, it's just cheap. It's just a simple equation of money vs lives. And since a lot of those people live off NI rather than contributing to it and paying taxes they are an expendable part of the population in the eyes of the government.

over a year ago

On a mooch

What will happen if supplies from manufacturers can’t be delivered because the drivers are in isolation.

I agree the shops should take more responsibility to stop people being greedy - was in Waitrose last weekend and overheard another customer asking an assistant if they had any toilet paper to be told that one man had come in that morning and cleaned them out - which begs the question why Waitrose let him.

Was pleased to see Aldi have announced they are limiting customers to a maximum of four items per product to help manage the demand"

Still think it should be two maximum

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

A few stores fairly local to me have announced they will be doing OAP opening between 7am and 8am. Making sure they are able to get their items before the rabid stocking mobs.

over a year ago

here

"A few stores fairly local to me have announced they will be doing OAP opening between 7am and 8am. Making sure they are able to get their items before the rabid stocking mobs. "

Good idea

over a year ago

"A few stores fairly local to me have announced they will be doing OAP opening between 7am and 8am. Making sure they are able to get their items before the rabid stocking mobs. "

The same OAPs that have just been told to self isolate?

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"A few stores fairly local to me have announced they will be doing OAP opening between 7am and 8am. Making sure they are able to get their items before the rabid stocking mobs.

The same OAPs that have just been told to self isolate?"

They haven't yet.

over a year ago

I like this

over a year ago

"A few stores fairly local to me have announced they will be doing OAP opening between 7am and 8am. Making sure they are able to get their items before the rabid stocking mobs.

The same OAPs that have just been told to self isolate?

They haven't yet. "

Fair point.

I wonder if there is also a shortage at the wholesalers? I'd love to fill a van up with bog roll from the wholesalers and give it out to the old folk.

over a year ago

Fake news ?

Care to explain the fake news comment.

Yes

It sounds utterly ridiculous

I guess they are still allowed to smoke ?

It should be their choice if they want to risk going out

It is their lives they are risking

It does not add up

Now by all means tell me I should not contact humans of an arbitrary age in case I kill them but same should be said I should not meet any one at risk of heat attack or smokers

It's stupid very very stupid

"

What exactly is stupid?

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Those over 70's who are less tech savvy will suffer and will die, because they will be too afraid to leave their homes to get essentials."

I hope those who have stocked, don't have elderly family members going short of stuff, due to others stock piling essentials.

over a year ago

Cynical much?

It stinks.

"

It's about changing the trajectory of peak saturation. It's the only way the NHS can then manage the numbers who need intensive care.

over a year ago

I hope those who have stocked, don't have elderly family members going short of stuff, due to others stock piling essentials. "

Nope. I took care of them too

over a year ago

"Ee don't know when or what the conditions will be. Better for this government to reverse the funding cuts on health and social care since 2010, as well as benefits. They're keen to do the wrong things at the wrong times.

Herd immunity priority strategy - wrong.

Delay phase out of step with the rest of the world - wrong.

"

You're usually the voice of reason. I think you're wrong on your last paragraph.

over a year ago

"Finally, on the precautionary principle, shouldn’t we go all out to damp this epidemic down, with all possible measures, whether evidence is strong, uncertain or weak, and worry about herd immunity when we have more evidence? The stated government policy is to allow 40 million people to become infected. This could mean 6 million hospital admissions, 2 million requiring special or intensive care, and 402,000 deaths if the chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty’s 1% estimate of mortality is correct"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/uk-covid-19-strategy-questions-unanswered-coronavirus-outbreak

over a year ago

On a mooch

Great idea and if they do have to go into isolation will still work as just then in the shop

By *arkus1812 OP   Man
over a year ago

U.K Corona Statistics as at 06.00GMT 16.03.2020

Confirmed cases 1391

Deaths 35

Active 1336

Recovered 20

Serious Cases 20

Cases per 1 million of population 20.5

A number of people on here have kindly offered to help those of us who will be housebound, however most of these kind people are non contactable due the profile age parameters.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

Great idea and if they do have to go into isolation will still work as just then in the shop "

But the staff will be under 70 and could infect them.

By *an For YouMan
over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Now do the math... "

And?

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

Great idea and if they do have to go into isolation will still work as just then in the shop

But the staff will be under 70 and could infect them. "

But it still limits the total number of people they come in to contact with, potentially reducing the chances of being infected.

Short of total isolation for months, or full hazmat suit it is impossible to guarantee zero risk from infection. The best we can do is limit the sources that can cause them to catch it.

By *ust PeachyWoman
over a year ago

Prestonish

Had a conversation with my Neice yesterday. I was at mum’s walking her dog - she was sorting her meds.

If my mum catches corona virus it’s far more likely that she’ll get it from a family member (particularly me as I work in a ‘high risk’ retail job) or carer.

Unless the government literally put a policeman on the door of her sheltered accommodation I’ll still be taking her out for walks in the fresh air in her wheelchair and I’ll still be taking her to visit certain family members.

She lives in a small one bedroom flat - I dread to mental state would be like if she was forced to stay in for four months.

By *ust PeachyWoman
over a year ago

Prestonish

*think what her

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 16/03/20 08:30:37]

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

My mum (80) with weak lungs has told me there is no way she will self isolate for months. She says her only pleasure is seeing me and her grandchildren.

over a year ago

here

"My mum (80) with weak lungs has told me there is no way she will self isolate for months. She says her only pleasure is seeing me and her grandchildren. "

as parents are often heard saying to their kids at some point or another.. " you will be the death of me"

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

as parents are often heard saying to their kids at some point or another.. " you will be the death of me"

"

over a year ago

"Had a conversation with my Neice yesterday. I was at mum’s walking her dog - she was sorting her meds.

If my mum catches corona virus it’s far more likely that she’ll get it from a family member (particularly me as I work in a ‘high risk’ retail job) or carer.

Unless the government literally put a policeman on the door of her sheltered accommodation I’ll still be taking her out for walks in the fresh air in her wheelchair and I’ll still be taking her to visit certain family members.

She lives in a small one bedroom flat - I dread to mental state would be like if she was forced to stay in for four months. "

exactly lots of eldery people live in isolation already and your mum not seeing you will probably be far worse for her mental health, get yourself one of them paint sprayers masks with the two filters that screw on and wear a wet suit and gloves give her a laugh

over a year ago

"My mum (80) with weak lungs has told me there is no way she will self isolate for months. She says her only pleasure is seeing me and her grandchildren. "

It’s going to be very difficult. My parents and in laws are saying the same. If this does come into force it will be very hard to control.

By *arkus1812 OP   Man
over a year ago

According to todays Daily Telegraph the police are to be given powers to enforce the self isolation with fines of up to £1000 for anyone not complying, so it is not self isolation any more but House arrest.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

You can still go and see her..just limit your visit and be extremely careful.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

I think it's more a case of going out and mixing in crowds..a 5 minute walk outside isnt going to hard them.

I'm worried sick about my two.

over a year ago

"I think it's more a case of going out and mixing in crowds..a 5 minute walk outside isnt going to hard them.

I'm worried sick about my two."

Stress (the hormone cortisol) exacerbates disease/heightens risk, so you're not doing yourself any favours.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

"According to todays Daily Telegraph the police are to be given powers to enforce the self isolation with fines of up to £1000 for anyone not complying, so it is not self isolation any more but House arrest."

Yeah so what they gonna do when they don't pay the fines lock em up..?..I can imagine a mass exodus of oaps.. saying fuck this.. I'm going for a walk..

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"According to todays Daily Telegraph the police are to be given powers to enforce the self isolation with fines of up to £1000 for anyone not complying, so it is not self isolation any more but House arrest.

Yeah so what they gonna do when they don't pay the fines lock em up..?..I can imagine a mass exodus of oaps.. saying fuck this.. I'm going for a walk.."

People are going to be able to do whatever they want to themselves. It is, literally, their own funeral. But anybody that has got it, or thinks they have got it, or might have put themselves in contact with it through their own pig headed behaviour, has to take responsibility if they then infect others. Every single one of us it potentially a murderer at the moment. If you're infected and you go cough on someone who has a weak immune system for whatever reason, then there is a good chance you will kill them.

Latest medical reports from italy are that even strong healthy people, up to a third of them need medical treatment and could easily die if there are no drugs or oxygen available.

When the hospitals are overflowing in a couple of weeks time, and you've got a nasty cough, it'll be too late to think that staying home a bit more might have been a good idea.

Post new Message to Thread