Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Some of you will die

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Will that speech be remembered alongside ‘we shall fight them on the beaches’ and ‘ask not what you country can do’

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

No not really but alas it’s true and here’s hoping most of us get through it alive.

Strange scary times to be unhealthy.

T

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it might be remembered in the same light as one of Hitler's or Nero's speeches

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't get why everyone is slagging him off about it. Some people are going to die

Reply privately

over a year ago

up to 17,000 people have died in England alone from a flu related illness in one year (public health england), why this isn’t making national media news is a bit of a mystery, i think the media are driving this virus and causing a lot of scaremongering amongst the governments around the world, which in turn make stupid people panic buy toilet rolls

Reply privately

over a year ago

My consultant rang me Thursday and told me to stop taking my medication because it’s an immunity suppressant. I only take it to keep my skin under control so it’s not essential but now my psoriasis is probably gonna flare up bad when I come off it.

Reply privately

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

It was a statement of fact. Why sugar coat a very serious issue? A deadly virus (for some) cares nothing about "feelings", happy thoughts or virtue signalling B.S.

Reply privately

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

"up to 17,000 people have died in England alone from a flu related illness in one year (public health england), why this isn’t making national media news is a bit of a mystery, i think the media are driving this virus and causing a lot of scaremongering amongst the governments around the world, which in turn make stupid people panic buy toilet rolls "

Well said.

There are so many more deaths each day around the world from other illnesses yet not mentioned. Scaremongering.

Reply privately

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Some people may die.

The vast majority won't.

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

People need to consider the very real possibility. I see nothing wrong with saying it in order to emphasise the seriousness of the situation.

I don’t think it will be remembered in Churchillian terms though.

Reply privately

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS
over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

I don't know why people are blaming the "media" for this. If a country goes into complete lockdown, if airlines cancel flights, if thousands of people around the world are dying or are at risk of dying from a new virus what exactly do you expect the media to report? A skateboarding squirrel?

Reply privately

over a year ago

It is not scaremongering

You really think so many countries would take such drastic action because of scaremongering?

It’s not just “stupid” people who are alarmed by this situation. Multiple world experts and leaders, large numbers of them, are concerned. But some people think they know better, and they spout stats about how many people die each year... I think you’re just in denial.

Reply privately

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"I don't know why people are blaming the "media" for this. If a country goes into complete lockdown, if airlines cancel flights, if thousands of people around the world are dying or are at risk of dying from a new virus what exactly do you expect the media to report? A skateboarding squirrel? "

I'd love to see a skateboarding squirrel

Reply privately

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

"I don't know why people are blaming the "media" for this. If a country goes into complete lockdown, if airlines cancel flights, if thousands of people around the world are dying or are at risk of dying from a new virus what exactly do you expect the media to report? A skateboarding squirrel? "
.At least that would make people raise a smile

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"My consultant rang me Thursday and told me to stop taking my medication because it’s an immunity suppressant. I only take it to keep my skin under control so it’s not essential but now my psoriasis is probably gonna flare up bad when I come off it. "

colloidal oatmeal bath - not a cure but should reduce your discomfort

Reply privately

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

"It is not scaremongering

You really think so many countries would take such drastic action because of scaremongering?

It’s not just “stupid” people who are alarmed by this situation. Multiple world experts and leaders, large numbers of them, are concerned. But some people think they know better, and they spout stats about how many people die each year... I think you’re just in denial."

.be concerned, yes. But for people to go around panic buying, fighting over buying toilet rolls and hand washing, that absoloutely stupid. Where has common sense gone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s not just “stupid” people who are alarmed by this situation. Multiple world experts and leaders, large numbers of them, are concerned. But some people think they know better, and they spout stats about how many people die each year... I think you’re just in denial."

Exactly this

Whole countries risking going bankrupt over "scaremongering"

Very unlikely.

There is good reason why they are doing so, they have alot more information than a quick google of statistics.

Idiocy will kill people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s not just “stupid” people who are alarmed by this situation. Multiple world experts and leaders, large numbers of them, are concerned. But some people think they know better, and they spout stats about how many people die each year... I think you’re just in denial..be concerned, yes. But for people to go around panic buying, fighting over buying toilet rolls and hand washing, that absoloutely stupid. Where has common sense gone."

Oh I agree, panic buying is selfish.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't know why people are blaming the "media" for this. If a country goes into complete lockdown, if airlines cancel flights, if thousands of people around the world are dying or are at risk of dying from a new virus what exactly do you expect the media to report? A skateboarding squirrel?

I'd love to see a skateboarding squirrel "

Here you go

https://youtu.be/q9bVfgp3A4s

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some of you will die, but it's a sacrifice I am willing to make"

Channeling Lord Farquaad there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it is maybe the only thing in my life that I am taking seriously.

Thy are closing everything down here except food shops, banks and chemists.

Reply privately

By *arkb73Man
over a year ago

Cheshire/Staffs

I really don’t know what is expected of us now. We have to take this seriously. We have taken it seriously. But that’s not enough. We need to panic and be terrified. So we are panicking and we are terrified.

It’s just madness.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s the over 60s that are most at risk, we’ll be that age one day so let’s give them space and any help they need

Reply privately

over a year ago

People are going to die though and people have died. Boris is stating fact there.

It isn't scaremongering and I for one think the government has taken a sensible approach.

My son in Edinburgh is having to self isolate and work from home.

I worry him being so far away but glad he is keeping safe, when it comes to keeping my family safe and healthy then nothing is worth the risk

Reply privately

over a year ago

"up to 17,000 people have died in England alone from a flu related illness in one year (public health england), why this isn’t making national media news is a bit of a mystery, i think the media are driving this virus and causing a lot of scaremongering amongst the governments around the world, which in turn make stupid people panic buy toilet rolls "
could not agree more

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Will that speech be remembered alongside ‘we shall fight them on the beaches’ and ‘ask not what you country can do’

"

I think that it’s Boris........ people will forgive him for everything.

Interesting though that this is the same country that goes on about surviving the blitz and the Dunkirk spirit yet also call the police because KFC ran out of chicken!?!?

Reply privately

over a year ago

The only thing he got wrong is the fact that we're all going to die, it's just a question of when and how, aren't I cheery little sod this morning

Reply privately

over a year ago

Dont loose sight of the fact that BBC news is for London based numpties that buy £4.00 coffees and dont give a shit about anything outside the M25

Reply privately

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

i dont see the problem with him saying people are gona die he is statibg a fact.what do people want him to say ? everything gona be fine and no ones gona die?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't know why people are blaming the "media" for this. If a country goes into complete lockdown, if airlines cancel flights, if thousands of people around the world are dying or are at risk of dying from a new virus what exactly do you expect the media to report? A skateboarding squirrel?

Here you go

https://youtu.be/q9bVfgp3A4s"

Thanks.

I have to say though; that was a very disappointing clip.

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"up to 17,000 people have died in England alone from a flu related illness in one year (public health england), why this isn’t making national media news is a bit of a mystery, i think the media are driving this virus and causing a lot of scaremongering amongst the governments around the world, which in turn make stupid people panic buy toilet rolls

Well said.

There are so many more deaths each day around the world from other illnesses yet not mentioned. Scaremongering.

"

It's the rate and ease of transmission that sets this virus apart.

If the issue were just about scaremongering the other illnesses you allude to would also be hyped to the extreme.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i dont see the problem with him saying people are gona die he is statibg a fact.what do people want him to say ? everything gona be fine and no ones gona die?"

I think people are expecting him to be a leader instead of just shit.

Anyone can state a fact (though actually this comes quite hard to him). Pretty low bar for a leader of a country in a time of "war".

Reply privately

over a year ago

i just think a little perspective is required, and all we are hearing about is the amount of infected and deaths, we’re not being told about the amount of people who have had it and recovered from it which the number is in the 10s of thousands, but that’s good news isn’t it, and the media knows good news is no news at all with them, they just prefer doom and gloom

Reply privately

over a year ago

Here you go

https://youtu.be/q9bVfgp3A4s

Thanks.

I have to say though; that was a very disappointing clip. "

I know, it's a rubbish skateboarding squirrel I admit!

Reply privately

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

"It’s the over 60s that are most at risk, we’ll be that age one day so let’s give them space and any help they need "

Countries like Italy respect their elderly, I wish we were more like them here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

To reach herd immunity you will a minimum of 60% of the population getting the virus. That's 36 million people. Do the maths at only 1% fatality rate and that gives you 360,000 deaths. So yes "some of us are going to die" seems a very blase view to take.

That's why most scientific opinion is saying Boris has got it wrong.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If the issue were just about scaremongering the other illnesses you allude to would also be hyped to the extreme.

Possibly the first use of "allude" in a forum post. cudos

Reply privately

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

It’s likely that more businesses and people will go bankrupt over this pandemic rather that die....

Reply privately

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

"It’s likely that more businesses and people will go bankrupt over this pandemic rather that die.... "

The financial impact as well as the virus itself is a huge concern. Let's hope both deaths and financial impacts are kept to a minimum.

Reply privately

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

"I really don’t know what is expected of us now. We have to take this seriously. We have taken it seriously. But that’s not enough. We need to panic and be terrified. So we are panicking and we are terrified.

It’s just madness. "

Panicking and being terrified won't help anyone, it'll just make it worse.

No-one knows quite what is ahead, but the best thing we can do is look out for our friends, family and neighbours, check in on vulnerable people in our community, and stick to the guidelines on contact levels and hygiene.

There's no need to stop being kind because everything is uncertain - we're all in this together at the end of the day.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It’s likely that more businesses and people will go bankrupt over this pandemic rather that die.... "

That sounds like a really good outcome, considering?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nice topic not

Reply privately

By *oruseandabuseCouple
over a year ago

chichester

"The only thing he got wrong is the fact that we're all going to die, it's just a question of when and how, aren't I cheery little sod this morning "

I think that is exactly what he said

"....families will continue to lose loved ones before their time....."

Also, how many self inflicted deaths are there every year. Obesity, Smoking, drugs, alcohol, cycling on busy roads, etc....

We must have all heard from people saying they are personally very worried as they have underlying health conditions when those conditions are all as a result of their weight?

Reply privately

By *elnkazCouple
over a year ago

cheshire

couldnt have put it better myself....been saying it for ages

The media has a lot to answer for

K

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"It’s the over 60s that are most at risk, we’ll be that age one day so let’s give them space and any help they need "

No it isn't.

It's the elderly and infirm.

I'm healthier that a lot of you.

I'll miss you ..... but i'm not going.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"up to 17,000 people have died in England alone from a flu related illness in one year (public health england), why this isn’t making national media news is a bit of a mystery, i think the media are driving this virus and causing a lot of scaremongering amongst the governments around the world, which in turn make stupid people panic buy toilet rolls

Dont loose sight of the fact that BBC news is for London based numpties that buy £4.00 coffees and dont give a shit about anything outside the M25"

4 quid ....... fuck that's cheap for London.

Reply privately

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

We all die oneday from something. When your numbers up your numbers up and loo rolls will not save you.

Reply privately

By *herryblossom_BJWoman
over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

Everyone knows someone with low immune system or elderly relative or friend. Please consider them instead of yourselves and act appropriately. I still see people not taking it seriously thinking its all media hype. It's not. Its the reality we need to face as a community not as an individual. Countries like Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia and Hong Kong have dealt with it really well by all working together because they all worked together as a community and their government been very authoritarianism in their approach. Countries that haven't, like Iran and Italy are finding it difficult to contain... UK be at that stage if we don't take it seriously. It's not like the flu which we have a vaccine for. This virus is very different but containable if we all work together as a community.

Reply privately

By *atbifemCouple
over a year ago

LONDON

Half the teachers I work with last week think it is all hype. Sadly we have friends who are doctors and they say the tone was accurate and correct.

Reply privately

over a year ago

look on the plus side, for the next 20 years how much will the NHS save on geriatric care.

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

The issue is not that he said it, but alongside what else he said.

Regardless of if its the right or wrong option will remain to be seen. But the short of it he essentially said "many people are going to die, but we are not going to change much to help stop that happening, just keep washing your hands"

Now if he had said something more along the lines of "many people are going to die, but we are doing this, this, that, and that other thing to avoid as many deaths as possible" then you have a very different situation in hand.

It is not sugar coating it, it's the fact that his very words came along side a list of inactions.

As for blaming the media, again it is nothing to do with expecting them to report on such things it is the manner in which they do so. It is manipulative and scaremongering when it comes to their top stories. They show the worst of the situation and make it appear as the only part of a situation.

Big scary headlines, the first part of the story is all horror stories, and then sometimes the second part will be the briefest of information about what actually is happening. They take quotes out of context, for impact. Like recently I saw one about how an "expert" said covid may infect permanently, while yes he said that but taken so out of context for what the journalist was reporting.

Reply privately

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

"

We must have all heard from people saying they are personally very worried as they have underlying health conditions when those conditions are all as a result of their weight?"

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Will that speech be remembered alongside ‘we shall fight them on the beaches’ and ‘ask not what you country can do’

"

Did you want him to say no one will die?

Its all a load of media hyped bollocks anyway, carry on as normal.

Reply privately

By *oruseandabuseCouple
over a year ago

chichester

"

We must have all heard from people saying they are personally very worried as they have underlying health conditions when those conditions are all as a result of their weight?

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation. "

Just google it in NHS news.

Excess weight is the second biggest cause of premature death after smoking. Maybe those empty shelves will save as many lives as the virus kills. Or could it be all the food has been taken by those who are most obsessed with it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it was an ill thought out statement.

Furher highlighting his inability to understand people

Reply privately

By *aastyKnixWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

It might be remembered as one of the few times a politician was honest.

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation. "

Indeed.

While I'm not worried, despite having an underlying health issue, that has absolutely nothing to do with my weight, I'm neither under or overweight, if I were worried it still wouldn't be due to my weight causing a health issue.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Did you want him to say no one will die?

Its all a load of media hyped bollocks anyway, carry on as normal."

I wasn’t complaining about what he said. Just wondering if it will end up going down in history as one of those memorable speeches.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"look on the plus side, for the next 20 years how much will the NHS save on geriatric care."

Quite possible that that has been taken into consideration.

Matt Hancock is going to announce that the over 70's are going to be asked to self isolate for up to 4 months, according to BBC news.

The equation is increasingly looking like the deaths of the elderly and infirm against economic disruption.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It might be remembered as one of the few times a politician was honest."

The honest part is some of YOU will die.... not WE will fight them on the beaches...

There's them. And then there's us. This is OUR problem.

When a man starts a speach with I'm going to level with you, it implies the rest of the time he lies.....

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I don't get why everyone is slagging him off about it. Some people are going to die"

Actually we're ALL going to die at some point.

Reply privately

By *orkiecplCouple
over a year ago

York

Im sorry really sorry but if you look at the W.H.O numbers of cases and numbers of deaths it is only 3% , and currently it's at 1.6% in the uk those are the facts . if you put this country into lockdown it will kill the economy if the lockdown last more than 4 weeks .for most people who get this virus it will be no worse than a very bad winter cold,Im really sorry for the families that lose loved ones , but the lockdown will send the whole economy into meltdown and many more lives will be ruined , as an example :: Grand national cancelled 100 million lost to the bookmakers industry Liverpool will lose about the same into it's economy, if the lockdown last more than 6 weeks then the country will be in recession for a generation THINK 1929 or 1946 , The problem is we will all get the virus in the end so all the lockdown does is damage the economy NOTHING can stop this virus , it's already proved that no borders no country nothing can stop it so the lockdown is a big mistake

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"look on the plus side, for the next 20 years how much will the NHS save on geriatric care.

Matt Hancock is going to announce that the over 70's are going to be asked to self isolate for up to 4 months, according to BBC news.

The equation is increasingly looking like the deaths of the elderly and infirm against economic disruption."

I have no doubt that it is one of their upsides to this whole thing. Or at the very least a way to save money. Allow "natural causes" to reduce the strain on the NHS in the long run.

Reply privately

By *odd4funnMan
over a year ago

Walthamstow Leyton

"I really don’t know what is expected of us now. We have to take this seriously. We have taken it seriously. But that’s not enough. We need to panic and be terrified. So we are panicking and we are terrified.

It’s just madness.

Panicking and being terrified won't help anyone, it'll just make it worse.

No-one knows quite what is ahead, but the best thing we can do is look out for our friends, family and neighbours, check in on vulnerable people in our community, and stick to the guidelines on contact levels and hygiene.

There's no need to stop being kind because everything is uncertain - we're all in this together at the end of the day."

Well said and may we all live this way

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

We must have all heard from people saying they are personally very worried as they have underlying health conditions when those conditions are all as a result of their weight?"

Can you go and tell my Cardiologist that then please, he seems to think my condition is genetic.

Silly man, what would he know eh

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Im sorry really sorry but if you look at the W.H.O numbers of cases and numbers of deaths it is only 3% , and currently it's at 1.6% in the uk those are the facts . if you put this country into lockdown it will kill the economy if the lockdown last more than 4 weeks .for most people who get this virus it will be no worse than a very bad winter cold,Im really sorry for the families that lose loved ones , but the lockdown will send the whole economy into meltdown and many more lives will be ruined , as an example :: Grand national cancelled 100 million lost to the bookmakers industry Liverpool will lose about the same into it's economy, if the lockdown last more than 6 weeks then the country will be in recession for a generation THINK 1929 or 1946 , The problem is we will all get the virus in the end so all the lockdown does is damage the economy NOTHING can stop this virus , it's already proved that no borders no country nothing can stop it so the lockdown is a big mistake "

While you are right about economy, the virus being allowed to spread without resistance is going to hurt the economy just as much. Large numbers of people being ill at the same time is just as crippling. Especially if the virus mutates again (it already has once in to a more aggressive strain).

Lockdown has helped a great deal in china, its the reason that Europe is now the epicentre, and China no longer is. Their lockdown is seeing greatly reduced numbers.

Reply privately

By *uckandbunnyCouple
over a year ago

In your bed

Firstly not a boris fan, think he's a buffoon.

That said, it is nessasary to highlight how serious it is as some numpties this it's all hype.

He could have said

Now this is not the end.

It is not even the beginning of the end.

But it is, perhaps,

the end of the beginning."

But that leaves alot of room for interpretation and he would have got pilloried for not being up front with people.

I heard the same conference and the daft questions the reporters had.

" be up front with the British people and tell us how many are going to die"

That was a real face palm question. Some reporters are treating the news like a celebrity divorce and getting all excited at each tragedy and looking for more and more to sensationalise.

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"NOTHING can stop this virus , it's already proved that no borders no country nothing can stop it so the lockdown is a big mistake "

You're right it can't be stopped but what can be controlled is its incidence and rate of transmission.

Reply privately

over a year ago

your all missing the point, this is an economic gold mine, plumbers can now charge £47.00 for a 17mm right angle union. you can ask for an estimate on a 22mm fixing

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"look on the plus side, for the next 20 years how much will the NHS save on geriatric care.

The equation is increasingly looking like the deaths of the elderly and infirm against economic disruption."

Fucking hell ......... i'm just five years short of being able to hibernate

Reply privately

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Very interesting short clip here about lockdown. Makes total sense to us.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6tTwxzCi8

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I think it was an ill thought out statement.

Furher highlighting his inability to understand people "

Thing is....... he doesn't pluck what to say from thin air.

All politicians are guided and have had pow wows before hand.

He just takes the blame from those who think he is the authority of everything.

Reply privately

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Mum and Dad are self isolating. They are fine but cannot take this lightly. I am on standby for any supplies they need.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"NOTHING can stop this virus , it's already proved that no borders no country nothing can stop it so the lockdown is a big mistake

You're right it can't be stopped but what can be controlled is its incidence and rate of transmission."

The idea of a lock down is to slow the number of daily cases so that hospitals can handle to number of new cases.

If we do not lockdown, and other countries do, effectively controlling the spread of the virus, we will remain on travel bans while other countries get their bans lifted.

Herd immunity will not work when we mingle with other herds.

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"NOTHING can stop this virus , it's already proved that no borders no country nothing can stop it so the lockdown is a big mistake

You're right it can't be stopped but what can be controlled is its incidence and rate of transmission.

The idea of a lock down is to slow the number of daily cases so that hospitals can handle to number of new cases.

If we do not lockdown, and other countries do, effectively controlling the spread of the virus, we will remain on travel bans while other countries get their bans lifted.

Herd immunity will not work when we mingle with other herds."

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

We WILL quarantine in time.

It's not the right time yet. We need to get to a critical infected number.

Just all going inside for a few weeks will just start the thing all over again.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

You're right it can't be stopped but what can be controlled is its incidence and rate of transmission."

no it cant, this is all bollocks, some old and infirm will die, but their going to die of something anyway, most people will feel a bit rough for a day or two, and many will transit through an infection without noticing. Its fucking with my holiday, and my fuckin shares have bombed, ITS BOLLOCKS.

Reply privately

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

This probably won't be popular but it's true.

“Man in his 80’s already not very well from previous conditions, dies of flu” is not and should not be a news headline. The coverage is prurient, intrusive, unbalanced and designed to cause hysteria.

Consider this: 100% of those who contract coronavirus are going to die. 100% of those who do not contract coronavirus are also going to die.

The difference in average life expectancy between the two groups will prove to be only very marginal. That is because the large majority of those who die of COVID-19 will already be nearing the end of life or have other health problems (I'm not saying this is good BTW - it's just the facts).

Far more people die of Coronary Heart Disease each year in the UK but no one has closed down McDonald's yet. Nor indeed been broadcasting 24/7 hysterical news coverage.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"To reach herd immunity you will a minimum of 60% of the population getting the virus. That's 36 million people. Do the maths at only 1% fatality rate and that gives you 360,000 deaths. So yes "some of us are going to die" seems a very blase view to take.

That's why most scientific opinion is saying Boris has got it wrong.

"

Bojos plan to all stand proud and take it on the chin and see whats left at the end , is a controversial one for sure .

Still , pension crisis ? What pension crisis ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Oh good, so Granny will die next week, not this week,its here, its real and its much hyped. I think there are many many more things we should worry about and with this amount of attention could actually resolve. start a list

Reply privately

over a year ago

Convenient that whilst the world's eyes are focussed on this, there's no mention in the media of the protests in Hong Kong.

There's also no mention that China's top military Officer, Major General Chen - Wei, charged with all matters that cover Chemical & Biological warfare, was sent to those facilities in Wuhan, 'to tighten up security & safety' after concerns that nasties escaped those factories.

If people want to berate UKGov, that's up to them, but the root of this crisis lies at China's feet, no one else's.

Personally, if I were Maj- Gen Chen - Wei or President Xi I'd be pretty pleased with myself right now, job done lads,we've seen what it can do, perhaps?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My consultant rang me Thursday and told me to stop taking my medication because it’s an immunity suppressant. I only take it to keep my skin under control so it’s not essential but now my psoriasis is probably gonna flare up bad when I come off it. "

I have some cream that may help

Reply privately

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Herd immunity will not work when we mingle with other herds."

Timing is the important thing. A lockdown too soon will be counterproductive. There have to be enough cases before it will work properly or people will come out of lockdown only to be back where we started.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This probably won't be popular but it's true.

“Man in his 80’s already not very well from previous conditions, dies of flu” is not and should not be a news headline. The coverage is prurient, intrusive, unbalanced and designed to cause hysteria.

Consider this: 100% of those who contract coronavirus are going to die. 100% of those who do not contract coronavirus are also going to die.

The difference in average life expectancy between the two groups will prove to be only very marginal. That is because the large majority of those who die of COVID-19 will already be nearing the end of life or have other health problems (I'm not saying this is good BTW - it's just the facts).

Far more people die of Coronary Heart Disease each year in the UK but no one has closed down McDonald's yet. Nor indeed been broadcasting 24/7 hysterical news coverage."

That only old people are dying is a myth. No one is immune. A lot of people with diseases that are NOT COVID-19 are going to die because they will not receive the attention they deserve.

But hey let's talk about old people. How do pensions work? Does the government take your NI contributions and invest them for your retirement? No. Each generation funds the generation before them. It usually works because the base of the pyramid is wider. But baby boomers invert the pyramid. It's a huge problem for our government. However if a large number of retirees die it solves this problem for our government.

So is our strategy based on what is good for the people of the UK young and old or is it just a strategy that works well for the treasury?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Timing is the important thing. A lockdown too soon will be counterproductive. There have to be enough cases before it will work properly or people will come out of lockdown only to be back where we started. "

Actually the only reason I have heard for locking down too soon is that if it is effective people will question why we locked down at all?

Enough people need to die to justify the lockdown.

Bottom line people must die to avoid criticism.

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Timing is the important thing. A lockdown too soon will be counterproductive. There have to be enough cases before it will work properly or people will come out of lockdown only to be back where we started.

Actually the only reason I have heard for locking down too soon is that if it is effective people will question why we locked down at all?

Bottom line people must die to avoid criticism. "

Where have you heard this?

Reply privately

over a year ago

What's wrong with him stating what seems to he highly likely. Whether causing scare or not, rather he was honest than sugar coating everything and being condescending.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"...However if a large number of retirees die it solves this problem for our government.

...is it just a strategy that works well for the treasury?"

it was just a matter of time until the conspiracy theory's popped up.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I am on an immunosuppressant for eczema. I have stopped taking it too but doc not rung

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bottom line people must die to avoid criticism.

Where have you heard this? "

They interviewed the guy who developed the now famous curve for slowing down a pandemic.

He stated the only downside of locking down to early is that it will be too effective and people will say it was all for nothing. That's the only downside he gave.

Reply privately

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

I think it was designed to wake the nation up to just how serious the situation is.

I think he achieved this; his speech will actually save lives.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Blimey last night there was a crowd of vigilantes carrying pitchforks & lanterns then painting a red X on doors and shouting “burn them burn them “

Reply privately

over a year ago

"...However if a large number of retirees die it solves this problem for our government.

...is it just a strategy that works well for the treasury?

it was just a matter of time until the conspiracy theory's popped up."

Instead of running around with a conspiracy stamp. Why don't you read up on the situation I have just described?

If what I said is so untrue then prove me wrong with facts.

It should be easy. I'm waiting.

Normalcy bias!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think it was designed to wake the nation up to just how serious the situation is.

I think he achieved this; his speech will actually save lives."

If he wanted to save lives he would follow the measures every other country that has successfully implemented to slow down spread.

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Blimey last night there was a crowd of vigilantes carrying pitchforks & lanterns then painting a red X on doors and shouting “burn them burn them “ "

it's a good point,

On a serious note though you'll remember the people of Eyam were the first self isolaters in the 1600s, preventing a potentially catastrophic spread of the Bubonic Plague.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Instead of running around with a conspiracy stamp. Why don't you read up on the situation I have just described?

Normalcy bias!!!"

Well it may not be "conspiracy" bit it still just a theory.. Plenty governments will have looked at ageing and dying populations for years, and unfortunately, it is a strain for some countries, resources. But your statement could apply to any country. Look at the US democrats, they rubbing there hands together excited about the recession that will hit, Trump will get blamed and lose upcoming election...

Lots of theories, but time would be better spent preparing for worst casr scenario and make sure people in your lives are well than pondering on matters like these.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Blimey last night there was a crowd of vigilantes carrying pitchforks & lanterns then painting a red X on doors and shouting “burn them burn them “ "

A common occurrence in Norfolk

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

It probably will but for different reasons. I really hope it's not because it's true but I doubt he'd have said it in quite the way he did if he didn't have it on good authority that it's likely. His usp is his bumbling, jokey manner and I have little regard for the man but delivering news like that won't have been something he relished or wished for.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Normalcy bias!!!

Well it may not be "conspiracy" bit it still just a theory.. Plenty governments will have looked at ageing and dying populations for years, and unfortunately, it is a strain for some countries, resources. But your statement could apply to any country. Look at the US democrats, they rubbing there hands together excited about the recession that will hit, Trump will get blamed and lose upcoming election...

Lots of theories, but time would be better spent preparing for worst casr scenario and make sure people in your lives are well than pondering on matters like these. "

I never said it was s conspiracy. Just a callous strategy that plays out well for the treasury.

Of course the moment you aren't a sycophant that nods one's head alomg with the herd, along comes the 'tin hat' label.

That's cool with me. But if people want to hand out insults they must be prepared for my views on their level of naivety.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Blimey last night there was a crowd of vigilantes carrying pitchforks & lanterns then painting a red X on doors and shouting “burn them burn them “

A common occurrence in Norfolk "

Yeah that’s how we deal with things

Reply privately

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

Unlucky for me I'm in the at risk group. Getting worried

Reply privately

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

"But that is a risk I am willing to take"

Reply privately

over a year ago

You need to holiday at a nice nudist camp to get the vitamin D instead x

Reply privately

By *ariemike11Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Natures way off culling the excessive population!!

Simplistic but a fact.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Natures way off culling the excessive population!!

Simplistic but a fact.

"

Cold.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You need to holiday at a nice nudist camp to get the vitamin D instead x"

I had one booked, but all this bollocks may have screwed that up, maybe time to dust of the tent and have a fortnight at the bottom of the garden

Reply privately

over a year ago

Normalcy bias!!!

Lots of theories, but time would be better spent preparing for worst casr scenario and make sure people in your lives are well than pondering on matters like these.

I never said it was s conspiracy. Just a callous strategy that plays out well for the treasury.

Of course the moment you aren't a sycophant that nods one's head alomg with the herd, along comes the 'tin hat' label.

That's cool with me. But if people want to hand out insults they must be prepared for my views on their level of naivety. "

I wasn't insulting you, or wasn't intending to insult you, i love reading conspiracy theories, ones that hold some weight anyways, and It is convenient timing for treasury etc, but as I said, that could apply to many countries.. I think it more convenient timing that Europe is the "epicentre", and could be the crisis needed to stop uk leaving the union.

And I am prepped for what may or may not come, I look after elderly so need to be on top of things with that and my step daughter got underlying conditions fucking up her immune system. So we are expecting to isolate soon.

It is good to keep informed as much as possible though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Normalcy bias!!!

That's cool with me. But if people want to hand out insults they must be prepared for my views on their level of naivety.

I wasn't insulting you, or wasn't intending to insult you, i love reading conspiracy theories, ones that hold some weight anyways, and It is convenient timing for treasury etc, but as I said, that could apply to many countries.. I think it more convenient timing that Europe is the "epicentre", and could be the crisis needed to stop uk leaving the union.

And I am prepped for what may or may not come, I look after elderly so need to be on top of things with that and my step daughter got underlying conditions fucking up her immune system. So we are expecting to isolate soon.

It is good to keep informed as much as possible though."

Thanks I realise that. I thought your posting was well thought out and informative. Thank you for that.

If you read up you will see who I am responding to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ah, fair enough mate, think I've just jumped in two feet first to the conversation lol.

Did anyone read Inferno by Dan Brown, not the film, the book?

Reply privately

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

"You need to holiday at a nice nudist camp to get the vitamin D instead x

I had one booked, but all this bollocks may have screwed that up, maybe time to dust of the tent and have a fortnight at the bottom of the garden"

Is the sunshine at the bottom of your garden too? If so I'm coming over. Hell I am craving sun.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Have a look for natural remedies if you haven’t already tried them!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

...Of course the moment you aren't a sycophant that nods one's head alomg with the herd, along comes the 'tin hat' label.

If you read up you will see who I am responding to."

How dreary

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You need to holiday at a nice nudist camp to get the vitamin D instead x

I had one booked, but all this bollocks may have screwed that up, maybe time to dust of the tent and have a fortnight at the bottom of the garden

Is the sunshine at the bottom of your garden too? If so I'm coming over. Hell I am craving sun."

Bring gin

Reply privately

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

As I lay naked on the cold tiled floor of our hotel bathroom feeling hung over and very sorry for myself, I am perfectly reminded of my own mortality. However I am a unrepentant sinner and debaucherous hedonist. So I remind my self life can be all so short (truly I've seen far to many taken so young), I regret nothing and rejoice in making merry (even if I must suffer as a result, pain is a part of living, I embrace that side too). I fear not death, just fear not making a positive impact on the world and leaving it a better place for my existence and time I was here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

and lemons

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Ah, fair enough mate, think I've just jumped in two feet first to the conversation lol.

Did anyone read Inferno by Dan Brown, not the film, the book? "

No worries

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think this is the trouble, and Brexit exposed it. When Bob down the pub knows better than the experts, the national dumbing down is complete.

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Very well said my friend

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think this is the trouble, and Brexit exposed it. When Bob down the pub knows better than the experts, the national dumbing down is complete."

Bob down the pub is a national treasure, dont diss him

Reply privately

over a year ago

but for gods sake dont ever talk to him

Reply privately

over a year ago

"but for gods sake dont ever talk to him"

That's the trouble, not only have we talked to him, we implemented what he said. Now we have a bunch of people who have to contort themselves in the most ridiculous ways to still maintain points of view even when presented with irrifutable evidence that that are profoundly wrong. A posh accent, a few phrases of Latin and an Eaton education allows you to spout utter drivel and people swallow it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"but for gods sake dont ever talk to him

That's the trouble, not only have we talked to him, we implemented what he said. Now we have a bunch of people who have to contort themselves in the most ridiculous ways to still maintain points of view even when presented with irrifutable evidence that that are profoundly wrong. A posh accent, a few phrases of Latin and an Eaton education allows you to spout utter drivel and people swallow it."

I know I will be accused of politicising this....

But...

We as a people went to the polls and voted in a government who clearly prioritise the needs of the rich over the wellbeing of the common man. If Boris or one of his super rich backers gets seriously ill from COVID-19 don't expect them to be treated in a hospital corridor in the cot next to yours.

It is not a lack of sympathy. Just pointing out that you get what you voted for.

So keep Calm. Carry on dying at home please. And don't trouble us. Your umbulance costs are funds far better served getting "IT lessons" from American Model "businesswomen".

Reply privately

over a year ago

But he said some of us will loose lived ones before their time.

As much as I dont like him this isnt his fault.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"But he said some of us will loose lived ones before their time.

As much as I dont like him this isnt his fault."

If more people die than need be because he sat on his hands. Those extra deaths WILL be his fault.

If herd immunity is so effective why aren't China and Italy using it?

Let's look at new case reporting. China with it's huge population reported 25 new cases & 10 deaths. Iran who are not on lockdown with a much smaller population reported 1,209 new cases & 113 deaths.

Do you really think we should be modelling our response on Iran rather than China?

By the way UK has reported NO new cases. Strange that... we must have already developed herd immunity! Good old Boris! He saved us all

Reply privately

over a year ago

"but for gods sake dont ever talk to him

That's the trouble, not only have we talked to him, we implemented what he said. Now we have a bunch of people who have to contort themselves in the most ridiculous ways to still maintain points of view even when presented with irrifutable evidence that that are profoundly wrong. A posh accent, a few phrases of Latin and an Eaton education allows you to spout utter drivel and people swallow it.

I know I will be accused of politicising this....

But...

We as a people went to the polls and voted in a government who clearly prioritise the needs of the rich over the wellbeing of the common man. If Boris or one of his super rich backers gets seriously ill from COVID-19 don't expect them to be treated in a hospital corridor in the cot next to yours.

It is not a lack of sympathy. Just pointing out that you get what you voted for.

So keep Calm. Carry on dying at home please. And don't trouble us. Your umbulance costs are funds far better served getting "IT lessons" from American Model "businesswomen"."

This. Completely. Economy Uber alles.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I can imagine him rehearsing in front of a mirror in a shite Russian accent,

“if he dies... he dies”

He’s Just like a slightly chubbier, longer haired dolph lungdgren.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

As much as I dont like him this isnt his fault."

I think people have lost sight of that fact.

However how we as a country react to this is his and his advisors fault. How we as individuals react to this is entirely down to us as long as we can resist the propoganda

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

If more people die than need be because he sat on his hands. Those extra deaths WILL be his fault.

Let's look at new case reporting. China with it's huge population reported 25 new cases & 10 deaths. Iran who are not on lockdown with a much smaller population reported 1,209 new cases & 113 deaths.

Do you really think we should be modelling our response on Iran rather than China?

By the way UK has reported NO new cases. Strange that... we must have already developed herd immunity! Good old Boris! He saved us all "

Easy peasy. Just stop testing and cases will plummet..

Reply privately

over a year ago

However how we as a country react to this is his and his advisors fault. How we as individuals react to this is entirely down to us as long as we can resist the propoganda"

Yeah that Matt Handcock bloke (always looks like hes trapped in the headlights to me) was on tv earlier and telling us that the most important thing was to wash our hands whilst singing happy birthday ffs

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

To fair I think the Boris Bashers will find any excuse to mock him. It does not matter what he says or how he says it the same old will ctiticise him.

Reply privately

By *_MariusMan
over a year ago

Currently Faraway

I thought, as per the newspaper, that the actual quote was "many more of us will lose our loved ones before their time".

Which I take it to mean, 'more of YOU out there will lose YOUR loved ones before their time.'

My opinion of the speech? Typical of a fucking multi-millionaire cretin prime-minister whose wealthy daddy would probably fend pneumonia off quite well, in an expensive state-of-the-art hospital that the rest of us and our loved ones cannot afford and we SHOULDN'T have to lose any loved onebefore their time.

Reply privately

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

However how we as a country react to this is his and his advisors fault. How we as individuals react to this is entirely down to us as long as we can resist the propoganda

Yeah that Matt Handcock bloke (always looks like hes trapped in the headlights to me) was on tv earlier and telling us that the most important thing was to wash our hands whilst singing happy birthday ffs "

So are you doing this then ? Or is your disdain for the advice an indication that you can’t be arsed or know a better way ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can imagine him rehearsing in front of a mirror in a shite Russian accent,

“if he dies... he dies”

He’s Just like a slightly chubbier, longer haired dolph lungdgren.

"

I have often admired the great speaches delivered by people like JFK and MLK. I have a dream...

I compare this to the Donald Trump flushing toilets and exploding dishwashers speech which one reporter referred to as "hardly the Gettysburg Address"

If these people are puppets for the unbelievably rich who supposedly pull the strings. Could they not have chosen people more eloquent and respectable? At least able to read more than three words at a time off a piece of paper.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

However how we as a country react to this is his and his advisors fault. How we as individuals react to this is entirely down to us as long as we can resist the propoganda"

What do you think the propoganda is ?

Reply privately

By *nlyIfItsWorthItMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

Dead in a ditch

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yeah that Matt Handcock bloke (always looks like hes trapped in the headlights to me) was on tv earlier and telling us that the most important thing was to wash our hands whilst singing happy birthday ffs

So are you doing this then ? Or is your disdain for the advice an indication that you can’t be arsed or know a better way ?"

I do the fuck hand washing like I'm OCD mate....but I can do it without a fucking daft "happy birthday" slogan that the stupid fuckers think is important to add

Reply privately

over a year ago

So are you doing this then ? Or is your disdain for the advice an indication that you can’t be arsed or know a better way ?

I do the fuck hand washing like I'm OCD mate....but I can do it without a fucking daft "happy birthday" slogan that the stupid fuckers think is important to add "

Ok try singing two verses of God Save the Queen instead then

Reply privately

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

I do the fuck hand washing like I'm OCD mate....but I can do it without a fucking daft "happy birthday" slogan that the stupid fuckers think is important to add

Ok try singing two verses of God Save the Queen instead then "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ok try singing two verses of God Save the Queen instead then "

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"I don't get why everyone is slagging him off about it. Some people are going to die"

Some statements of the bleeding obvious are perhaps lower priority than the statements that the government are going to be helping to coordinate global efforts to implement evidence-based approaches that won't shoulder the burdens on to the population in inhumane ways, as Johnson has tried.

It's good that the WHO has signalled the priority of trying to get this virus's untested herd immunity as inappropriate.

Reply privately

By *ucky24Man
over a year ago

Lowestoft

So true, this is all about control by the government over the people.

Keep them in fear and that will keep them in line.

Reply privately

over a year ago

By the way UK has reported NO new cases. Strange that... we must have already developed herd immunity! Good old Boris! He saved us all

Easy peasy. Just stop testing and cases will plummet.. "

Well either those 1 100 infected people in the UK have done a fantastic job of isolating themselves before they knew they were infected...

OR

This "reportable" virus isn't being tested for and reported.

We can trust our government. They would NEVER lie to us. Ok maybe they did a bit during the Spanish Flu but that all turned out for the best right?

Reply privately

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

"

It's false. Just like everything else he says. We're all Goingg to die!

But yeah. He's clueless, as always.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Natures way off culling the excessive population!!

Simplistic but a fact.

"

Are you putting yourself forwards for trial runs with known deadly infections and toxins?

Reply privately

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Well either those 1 100 infected people in the UK have done a fantastic job of isolating themselves before they knew they were infected...

OR

We can trust our government. They would NEVER lie to us. Ok maybe they did a bit during the Spanish Flu but that all turned out for the best right? "

Sorry if I just wet myself laughing.

So you think the thousands of civil servants and health workers who are involved in the colateing and distribution of the information on the virus are lying and you trust implicitly the information being given by the Chinese government.

I think that sort of reflects the credibility of most of your posts here today.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

OR

We can trust our government. They would NEVER lie to us. Ok maybe they did a bit during the Spanish Flu but that all turned out for the best right?

So you think the thousands of civil servants and health workers who are involved in the colateing and distribution of the information on the virus are lying and you trust implicitly the information being given by the Chinese government.

I think that sort of reflects the credibility of most of your posts here today. "

Is that casual racism ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Imagine this....

You are a British retiree living in a European country and currently have a severe chest infection and stuggle to breathe. Do you call up the hospital and say...

"Hi, I know my prime minister told you all to go to hell and we British don't want you bloody foreigners in our country.... but I'd like you to prioritize me over your natural born European citizens, pick me up in an ambulance and kick one of your locals out of ICU so I can take their place..."

I'm not French, Italian, Spanish or German... but I would be "sure be right over"...

Reply privately

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

Be careful with pain relief also.

Ibuprofen hits the immune system also. Stick to paracetamol for now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

OR

I think that sort of reflects the credibility of most of your posts here today. "

Where did I say that I trusted the data from the Chinese? It's notoriously inaccurate.

Do you honestly think with over 1000 infected people in the country it is more likely that there are no new infections or that people are just at home, undiagnosed and infected?

Saying that you wet yourself laughing is not a counterargument. Its the kind of thing children say in a school yard just before they call each others mommas fat. Is that the best quality comment you can muster?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Where did I say that I trusted the data from the Chinese? It's notoriously inaccurate.

Do you honestly think with over 1000 infected people in the country it is more likely that there are no new infections or that people are just at home, undiagnosed and infected?

Saying that you wet yourself laughing is not a counterargument. Its the kind of thing children say in a school yard just before they call each others mommas fat. Is that the best quality comment you can muster?"

Some people won’t be enlightened til their lungs are filling with fluid, and there’s no ventilator to save them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

OR

Is that casual racism ?"

No it's derision. A poor substitute for a solidly founded counter argument.

Mocking is easy. Anyone can do it. Sadly that's all some people can do.

Reply privately

By *ig_eric_tionMan
over a year ago

IPSWICH

How many of these 1140 people are still infected. Theres never a mention of recovery rates. Maybe that information could reduce the panic slightly.

Reply privately

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"

No, but neither was the global banking failure the fault of the Labour Party.

But the public is fickle and doesn't pay attention to the facts.

Reply privately

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

OR

Saying that you wet yourself laughing is not a counterargument. Its the kind of thing children say in a school yard just before they call each others mommas fat. Is that the best quality comment you can muster?"

You used the Chinese statistics in your argument that what they had done was right and what the uk was doing was wrong so you must believe them to be credible.

My wetting myself was not a counter argument it was just my reaction to your comments. (It’s something I do if I laugh uncontrollably).

And as for playground name calling, you seem to be the one that has mentioned that not me.

Have a nice day

Reply privately

over a year ago

"How many of these 1140 people are still infected. Theres never a mention of recovery rates. Maybe that information could reduce the panic slightly. "

1119 by my count. (21 are no longer considered active cases)

18 have recovered.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The John Hopkins website also has an app. I watched their video only to discover that they collect their data from a third party website.

There is a very valid criticism of how accurate the data collection is. And it is justified. When CDC says 25 000 to 50 000 people died from flu last year that's astounding. They could be anything to 50% inaccurate??? Look at the stats for H1N1 in the first year (2009) 100 000 to 400 000. 300 000 people with a question mark behind their cause of death? Hmmm.

What we do know is that draconian measures for isolating the virus are working and that doing nothing lets it get out of hand and many people die.

I think what will save us in the UK is we as citizens will take measures voluntarily rather than having them imposed on us. To the same effect.

Reply privately

over a year ago

OR

Saying that you wet yourself laughing is not a counterargument. Its the kind of thing children say in a school yard just before they call each others mommas fat. Is that the best quality comment you can muster?

You used the Chinese statistics in your argument that what they had done was right and what the uk was doing was wrong so you must believe them to be credible.

My wetting myself was not a counter argument it was just my reaction to your comments. (It’s something I do if I laugh uncontrollably).

And as for playground name calling, you seem to be the one that has mentioned that not me.

Have a nice day "

I quote the statistics that are provided. What other statistics should I use. The ones people on this forum have made up?

The WHO has praised China for their measures and criticised UK for their stance. But what would they know being out in the field compared to the armchair experts who know better?

Thank you for the detailed description of your bodily functions. It really added to the value of your reply. I am sure we are all better off for it

I never said there was name calling. I just said that is the quality of your reply. Did you miss the words "just before" or just choose to ignore them?

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

I think that a little media hype and scaremongering isn't a bad idea if it raises awareness and stops people taking stupid risks, to themselves and others.

Where media hype and scaremongering falls down is in a lack of corroborative information and factual research, leading to people becoming uneccesarily worried, which is when assumptions are made and panic sets in.

If we're worried, great.

Give us detailed facts about what actions we need to take to reduce the risk and spread of the virus.

Hopefully people will then show a bit of common sense and not stockpile bog rolls and pasta.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

no it cant, this is all bollocks, some old and infirm will die, but their going to die of something anyway, most people will feel a bit rough for a day or two, and many will transit through an infection without noticing. Its fucking with my holiday, and my fuckin shares have bombed, ITS BOLLOCKS."

I'm sure that the elderly and infirm will be only too happy to die before their time in order that you can have your holiday and make yourself a little more money. I feel so fucking sorry for you that I'm going to deliberately infect myself just so that I don't inconvenience you and the rest of the utterly selfish uncaring t**ts in this country.

Reply privately

By *hedevilKTWoman
over a year ago

milton keynes

And this petty squabbling in the forums helps who exactly ?!?!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

no it cant, this is all bollocks, some old and infirm will die, but their going to die of something anyway, most people will feel a bit rough for a day or two, and many will transit through an infection without noticing. Its fucking with my holiday, and my fuckin shares have bombed, ITS BOLLOCKS.

I'm sure that the elderly and infirm will be only too happy to die before their time in order that you can have your holiday and make yourself a little more money. I feel so fucking sorry for you that I'm going to deliberately infect myself just so that I don't inconvenience you and the rest of the utterly selfish uncaring t**ts in this country. "

Whilst your reply is brilliant, it rather lacks the caps at the end. As we know caps is shouting. And if you shout something rather than say it politely it makes you more right.

Thanks for your well phrased comment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think that a little media hype and scaremongering isn't a bad idea if it raises awareness and stops people taking stupid risks, to themselves and others.

Where media hype and scaremongering falls down is in a lack of corroborative information and factual research, leading to people becoming uneccesarily worried, which is when assumptions are made and panic sets in.

If we're worried, great.

Give us detailed facts about what actions we need to take to reduce the risk and spread of the virus.

Hopefully people will then show a bit of common sense and not stockpile bog rolls and pasta."

There is a common perception that people are buying bulk to stockpile for their own needs. While to certain extent this may be true, don't be surprised when someone on your street starts selling toilet paper at £10 a roll and has rooms full of it.

Reply privately

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"I think that a little media hype and scaremongering isn't a bad idea if it raises awareness and stops people taking stupid risks, to themselves and others.

If we're worried, great.

Hopefully people will then show a bit of common sense and not stockpile bog rolls and pasta.

There is a common perception that people are buying bulk to stockpile for their own needs. While to certain extent this may be true, don't be surprised when someone on your street starts selling toilet paper at £10 a roll and has rooms full of it.

"

But may also be buying for family members or neighbours who don't want to risk exposure.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I'm sure that the elderly and infirm will be only too happy to die before their time in order that you can have your holiday and make yourself a little more money. I feel so fucking sorry for you that I'm going to deliberately infect myself just so that I don't inconvenience you and the rest of the utterly selfish uncaring t**ts in this country.

Whilst your reply is brilliant, it rather lacks the caps at the end. As we know caps is shouting. And if you shout something rather than say it politely it makes you more right.

Thanks for your well phrased comment. "

I never shout.

Reply privately

over a year ago

When it comes to the point of no toilet rolls you simply wash you’re ass

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

It's a bit long, but worth a read IMHO.

A summary of the government’s coronavirus strategy by Professor Ian Donald.

Is it accurate? Don’t know. Good enough to share? I thought so.

1. The government strategy on coronavirus is more refined than those used in other countries and potentially very effective. But it is also riskier and based on a number of assumptions. They need to be correct, and the measures they introduce need to work when they are supposed to.

2. This all assumes I'm correct in what I think the govt are doing and why. I could be wrong - and wouldn't be surprised. But it looks to me like. . .

3. A UK starting assumption is that a high number of the population will inevitably get infected whatever is done – up to 80%. As you can’t stop it, so it is best to manage it.

There are limited health resources, so the aim is to manage the flow of the seriously ill to these.

4. The Italian model aims to stop infection. The UKs wants infection BUT of particular categories of people. The aim of the UK is to have as many lower risk people infected as possible, who then get immunity to it. Immune people cannot infect others; the more there are the lower the risk of infection.

5. That's herd immunity.

Based on this idea, at the moment the govt wants people to get infected, up until hospitals begin to reach capacity. At that they want to reduce, but not stop infection rate. Ideally, they balance it so the numbers entering hospital = the number leaving.

6. That balance is the big risk.

All the time people are being treated, other mildly ill people are recovering, and the population grows a higher percent of immune people who can’t infect. They can also return to work and keep things going normally.

7. The risk is being able to accurately manage infection flow relative to health care resources. Data on infection rates needs to be accurate, the measures they introduce need to work and at the time they want them to and to the degree they want, or the system is overwhelmed.

8. Schools: Kids generally won’t get very ill, so the govt can use them as a tool to infect others when you want to increase infection. When you need to slow infection, that tap can be turned off – at that point they close the schools. VERY Politically risky for them to say this though.

9. The same for large scale events - stop them when you want to slow infection rates; turn another tap off. This means schools etc are closed for a shorter period and disruption generally is therefore for a shorter period, AND with a growing immune population. This is sustainable.

10. After a while most of the population is immune, the seriously ill have all received treatment and the country is resistant. The more vulnerable are then less at risk. This is the end state the govt is aiming for and could achieve.

11. BUT a key issue during this process is protection of those for whom the virus is fatal. It's not clear the full measures there are to protect those people. It assumes they can measure infection, that their behavioural expectations are met - people do what they think they will

12. The Italian (and others) strategy is to stop as much infection as possible - or all infection. This is appealing, but then what? The restrictions are not sustainable for months. So, the will need to be relaxed. But that will lead to re-emergence of infections.

13. Then rates will then start to climb again. So, they will have to reintroduce the restrictions each time infection rates rise. That is not a sustainable model and takes much longer to achieve the goal of a largely immune population with low risk of infection of the vulnerable

14. As the government tries to achieve equilibrium between hospitalisations and infections, more interventions will appear. It's perhaps why there are at the moment few public information films on staying at home. They are treading a tight path, but possibly a sensible one.

Reply privately

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"It's a bit long, but worth a read IMHO.

1. The government strategy on coronavirus is more refined than those used in other countries and potentially very effective. But it is also riskier and based on a number of assumptions. They need to be correct, and the measures they introduce need to work when they are supposed to.

2. This all assumes I'm correct in what I think the govt are doing and why. I could be wrong - and wouldn't be surprised. But it looks to me like. . .

3. A UK starting assumption is that a high number of the population will inevitably get infected whatever is done – up to 80%. As you can’t stop it, so it is best to manage it.

There are limited health resources, so the aim is to manage the flow of the seriously ill to these.

4. The Italian model aims to stop infection. The UKs wants infection BUT of particular categories of people. The aim of the UK is to have as many lower risk people infected as possible, who then get immunity to it. Immune people cannot infect others; the more there are the lower the risk of infection.

5. That's herd immunity.

Based on this idea, at the moment the govt wants people to get infected, up until hospitals begin to reach capacity. At that they want to reduce, but not stop infection rate. Ideally, they balance it so the numbers entering hospital = the number leaving.

All the time people are being treated, other mildly ill people are recovering, and the population grows a higher percent of immune people who can’t infect. They can also return to work and keep things going normally.

7. The risk is being able to accurately manage infection flow relative to health care resources. Data on infection rates needs to be accurate, the measures they introduce need to work and at the time they want them to and to the degree they want, or the system is overwhelmed.

8. Schools: Kids generally won’t get very ill, so the govt can use them as a tool to infect others when you want to increase infection. When you need to slow infection, that tap can be turned off – at that point they close the schools. VERY Politically risky for them to say this though.

9. The same for large scale events - stop them when you want to slow infection rates; turn another tap off. This means schools etc are closed for a shorter period and disruption generally is therefore for a shorter period, AND with a growing immune population. This is sustainable.

10. After a while most of the population is immune, the seriously ill have all received treatment and the country is resistant. The more vulnerable are then less at risk. This is the end state the govt is aiming for and could achieve.

11. BUT a key issue during this process is protection of those for whom the virus is fatal. It's not clear the full measures there are to protect those people. It assumes they can measure infection, that their behavioural expectations are met - people do what they think they will

12. The Italian (and others) strategy is to stop as much infection as possible - or all infection. This is appealing, but then what? The restrictions are not sustainable for months. So, the will need to be relaxed. But that will lead to re-emergence of infections.

13. Then rates will then start to climb again. So, they will have to reintroduce the restrictions each time infection rates rise. That is not a sustainable model and takes much longer to achieve the goal of a largely immune population with low risk of infection of the vulnerable

14. As the government tries to achieve equilibrium between hospitalisations and infections, more interventions will appear. It's perhaps why there are at the moment few public information films on staying at home. They are treading a tight path, but possibly a sensible one."

You’re right, it is long, but we’ll worth the read.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My problem with the above:

1) how can we calculate infection rates when government have advised against testing anyone but the sickest for the virus. We are not implementing wide scale community testing like other countries have...

2) It is unknown if people become immune to this virus after infection. People are immunised against the flu yearly because it is so mutagenic. There is anecdotal suggestions that some have been infected a second time.

3) the % of people needed for herd immunity is a best guess, it may be higher, and the number needed to die to achieve that % by taking this tact may be a huge number

The government is taking a big gamble. And I suspect it is to minimise economic impact and the -theoretical- long term benefits to the populace are a sugar coating.

Reply privately

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

*well*

Reply privately

over a year ago

5. That's herd immunity.

14. As the government tries to achieve equilibrium between hospitalisations and infections, more interventions will appear. It's perhaps why there are at the moment few public information films on staying at home. They are treading a tight path, but possibly a sensible one."

There are several problems with this. If people are staying at home with what might be COVID-19 or something else but don't test them how are going to monitor the infection rate.

How do you isolate infection spreading to particular risk groups? Consider a teaching assistant who lives in the same house as her high risk parents. Those kids don't live at school, they come home and give it to everyone.

There is also the assumption that age is the only factor. Again consider a teacher who has asthma or any of the other high risk issues.

The government is pigeonholing risk groups the way we pidgeon hole sexual orientation. In binary fashion.

Reply privately

By *arkb73Man
over a year ago

Cheshire/Staffs

5. That's herd immunity.

It’s very risky but I’m not sure that the reactions of other countries is without risk. 12 and 13 are the important bits for me.

Reply privately

By *arkb73Man
over a year ago

Cheshire/Staffs

"My problem with the above:

1) how can we calculate infection rates when government have advised against testing anyone but the sickest for the virus. We are not implementing wide scale community testing like other countries have...

2) It is unknown if people become immune to this virus after infection. People are immunised against the flu yearly because it is so mutagenic. There is anecdotal suggestions that some have been infected a second time.

3) the % of people needed for herd immunity is a best guess, it may be higher, and the number needed to die to achieve that % by taking this tact may be a huge number

The government is taking a big gamble. And I suspect it is to minimise economic impact and the -theoretical- long term benefits to the populace are a sugar coating."

1. Not sure what widespread testing will achieve, except to have a running total every day

2. People will have to be immunised in the same way as flu

3. It might be lower

This country’s strategy is about as good as any other strategy. Locking the country down will help for a while but then what happens when the country is unlocked?

Reply privately

over a year ago

The government is taking a big gamble. And I suspect it is to minimise economic impact and the -theoretical- long term benefits to the populace are a sugar coating.

1. Not sure what widespread testing will achieve, except to have a running total every day

2. People will have to be immunised in the same way as flu

3. It might be lower

This country’s strategy is about as good as any other strategy. Locking the country down will help for a while but then what happens when the country is unlocked? "

They maybe don't want to unlock countries after.. Stop people moving about as much. Would help push along a lot of "Green Deals", we'll all be sat drinking Victory Gin sooner than we think, thinking fuck!! How did all this happen?? Then the thought police burst in Haha

Reply privately

over a year ago

5. That's herd immunity.

14. As the government tries to achieve equilibrium between hospitalisations and infections, more interventions will appear. It's perhaps why there are at the moment few public information films on staying at home. They are treading a tight path, but possibly a sensible one.

It’s very risky but I’m not sure that the reactions of other countries is without risk. 12 and 13 are the important bits for me. "

Well once other countries have contained their pandemics through quarantine I'm sure they will be only too happy to have the COV ridden Brits over in their country to set it all off again.

So how close to capacity are our hospitals currently? 50%....60%...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/25/hospital-beds-at-record-low-in-england-as-nhs-struggles-with-demand

"In total, 17,230 beds have been cut from the 144,455 that existed in April-June 2010, the period when the coalition Conservative/Liberal Democrat government took office and imposed a nine-year funding squeeze on the NHS, even though critics cautioned against it because of growing pressures on the service"

Take whatever COVID-19 stats you like. Apply that to 80% of 66.44 million. See how many beds you need...

Then decide whether people will die because they were infected with COVID-19 and nothing could save them or whether they died because government cutbacks meant they couldn't be treated...

Reply privately

over a year ago

The government is taking a big gamble. And I suspect it is to minimise economic impact and the -theoretical- long term benefits to the populace are a sugar coating."

Reply privately

By *arkb73Man
over a year ago

Cheshire/Staffs

5. That's herd immunity.

It’s very risky but I’m not sure that the reactions of other countries is without risk. 12 and 13 are the important bits for me.

Well once other countries have contained their pandemics through quarantine I'm sure they will be only too happy to have the COV ridden Brits over in their country to set it all off again.

So how close to capacity are our hospitals currently? 50%....60%...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/25/hospital-beds-at-record-low-in-england-as-nhs-struggles-with-demand

"In total, 17,230 beds have been cut from the 144,455 that existed in April-June 2010, the period when the coalition Conservative/Liberal Democrat government took office and imposed a nine-year funding squeeze on the NHS, even though critics cautioned against it because of growing pressures on the service"

Take whatever COVID-19 stats you like. Apply that to 80% of 66.44 million. See how many beds you need...

Then decide whether people will die because they were infected with COVID-19 and nothing could save them or whether they died because government cutbacks meant they couldn't be treated...

"

Big assumption that quarantine will have worked - as said, what happens when the country is unlocked?

Don’t disagree with cutbacks comments. But we can’t reverse that in a heartbeat. Maybe folk will stop taking the NHS for granted.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

1. How else do we know when rates are dropping and we’ve achieved immunity? How do we know when 80% have been infected? How do we know whether someone has been infected twice?

2. Does this mean you’ve invented the covid19 vaccine? Why haven’t you published your results? Vaccine companies have said the absolute fastest we will have a vaccine will be 18 months, and that would be “record breaking”. So, no we can’t immunise like we do with flu.

3. It might be lower.

Seems to me it would be more sensible to slow the rates and hope we will have more information and possibly more treatments when the surge happens.

Time will tell if this gamble pays off...

"

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Desirable infection rates, herd immunity, controlling the rate of infection to be optimum, all the above...

But to do any of this, it is absolutely necessary to know how many and who are currently infected. An immediate two week lockdown of everyone but the most vital will slow the spread, this has been proved by the experience of other countries. After 14 days there is a clear picture of who/where has it. Restrictions can then be reduced in a controlled manner, knowing that it is impossible to stop the spread, but at least the rate can be handled so as not to overwhelm the health services.

OR it can be completely uncontrolled for a fortnight, then find that far more people have it than was thought, the hospitals are flooded out with people dying, even those with minor symptoms cannot get medicines, ten times as many people die.

Restrictions now are simple to reduce later, but lack of control now is impossible to walk back from.

Reply privately