Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Worried about the financial side of coronavirus

Jump to newest

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Ok so we have all had our say about the health side of things.

Some sympathetic some don't give a fuck.

But there's a very serious side of this away from health that if you choose to bury your head in the sand or not will possibly have an impact.. the financial side.

I am one of this who stands to loose more than Money,but hopefully that's not going to happen but to have to self isolate without anything but SSP will pretty much fuck us financially.

Unless you are lucky enough to get sick pay or have bank of mummy and daddy, able to fall back on savings.

Like me your probably as worried about money almost as much as contracting the virus.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don’t worry be happy

over a year ago

"I don’t worry be happy "

It's Bobby McFerrin's birthday today.

over a year ago

"I don’t worry be happy

It's Bobby McFerrin's birthday today."

HB Bobby mcferrin

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I totally hear what you are saying and I could self isolate if necessary. But it is those who it would really be difficult for that I feel for.

Pay them their wages for a start. Things aren't always black and white.

over a year ago

OP as someone who works in the financial sector I completely agree with what you’re saying. The impact this is already having on our financial markets is worrying. Some banks announced yesterday that they will be helping customers with repayment holidays on mortgages and loans with no financial implications to the customer.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

The financial impact could be huge, mot just through lack of pay but through loss of business income.

Also not all people are practically able to self isolate because of outside commitments.

By *aradisecircusMan
over a year ago

Derry

UK interest rates cut from .75% to .25%

over a year ago

I thin the financial impacts from all this are going to be very large and unavoidable. I really believe that they could be lessened if the government took sweeping action now rather than later to try and stop the spread of this virus.

By *rMrsBrightsideCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

It is already having an impact. Mr had been verbally offered a new job and was just waiting for the offer but they rang Monday and said they couldn't take him on now. I work in the finance sector and it is a worry on what the long term impact will be for the company also. This worries me more than catching the virus or running out of loo roll

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

I can work from home if I need to. I know someone though who’s been laid off, as he does the lighting at events and because they aren’t happening due to worries about the virus, he’s not needed at the moment.

By *atchusCouple
over a year ago

east midlands

Self employed here, own a adult clothing business selling online, I work from home/converted garage however need to get to the post office daily so i am dreading the post office closing, also self isolation would be tough as that means business closing

Not to worried about getting the actual virus but the financial aspect could hurt.

Scarey times ahead I fear, also stopped meeting for a bit due to it.....dam you bat soup...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We're retired but the long term consequences for our private pensions could be problematic.

There's absolutely nothing we can do about it.

By *ympho6969Woman
over a year ago

glasgow

I see the SSP worry over this no different from any other sickness where you need to take time off. Isnt this what planning and saving is all about?

For arguement. Say you put your back out and are off for months, it wouldn't be any different...

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I’m not worried. However I feel a lot of sympathy to those who are left in a situation that leads to them being open to issues.

I think Italy have suspended or are considering suspending mortgage payments for a month?

That would be a good step if it takes hold here. But I’m not sure our banks would be so sympathetic.

over a year ago

"OP as someone who works in the financial sector I completely agree with what you’re saying. The impact this is already having on our financial markets is worrying. Some banks announced yesterday that they will be helping customers with repayment holidays on mortgages and loans with no financial implications to the customer."

Even that is largely to gain positive publicity more than to help the customers. No doubt those already struggling will be told no.

My mortgage company say I can have two payment holidays a year, but when I asked for one, they wanted more forms filled out than the original mortgage application, 12 payslips and a full breakdown of my finances.

In reality, trying to get all that processed in two weeks isn’t going to happen.

over a year ago

Hiring freeze at our work place which means we all have to pick up the work of someone who left at Christmas! Ridiculous that the process takes so long that the job hadn't even got to the advertising stage

over a year ago

It's its not good for self employed

By *irestorm 500Couple
over a year ago

coventry

Unfortunately I don't work enough hours to claim SSP so I'd be financially in a mess x storm x

By *rincessvenusCouple
over a year ago

Hull

most people are one pay day from bust

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

School closures may well be the straw that breaks many camel's backs.

Child care is disproportionately more expensive in the UK than elsewhere in Europe anyway.

There is a chance that schools will not reopen after the Easter break, until September! Obviously if schools close, so will the alternatives (clubs etc.) for the same reasons (stopping the spread of the virus).

That's going to leave a lot of people stuffed to be frank.

over a year ago

I'm just watching the budget and I have to say I think they are putting some very helpful measures in place.

It's going to be a tough time and we are all going to have to make sacrifices.

All we can do is be sensible and consider everyone's needs and not Just our own.

By *uckymonkeyNaughtybearCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

Self employed in the event industry so no income now for this month!!

I am thinking also are the clubs going to suffer? who here is avoiding going out or meets??

over a year ago

"Self employed in the event industry so no income now for this month!!

I am thinking also are the clubs going to suffer? who here is avoiding going out or meets??

"

The budget has just covered this.

over a year ago

The budget has just covered this. "

The budget covered club meets? How cosmopolitan of them!

over a year ago

The budget has just covered this.

The budget covered club meets? How cosmopolitan of them!"

It covered all small business that includes clubs.

over a year ago

Yep all my current work is postponed as it is abroad. I’m not worried yet but if it continues for too long I will become increasingly concerned. It must be horrible for any that survive financially from week to week,

over a year ago

"Ok so we have all had our say about the health side of things.

Some sympathetic some don't give a fuck.

But there's a very serious side of this away from health that if you choose to bury your head in the sand or not will possibly have an impact.. the financial side.

I am one of this who stands to loose more than Money,but hopefully that's not going to happen but to have to self isolate without anything but SSP will pretty much fuck us financially.

Unless you are lucky enough to get sick pay or have bank of mummy and daddy, able to fall back on savings.

Like me your probably as worried about money almost as much as contracting the virus."

Local food banks or sit outside KFC with a cup reap what you sow should of voted Labour

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

The company I work for supplies power to most of the major festivals and events across the UK every summer, they are already worrying that they'll be cancelled and will hit the company hard this year, and are talking about 'measures to protect the business' which to me sounds like lay offs and redundancies. All this because someone ate a bat

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

There are people worrying about child care issues where I work already if the schools close for a month over Easter.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't view the global markets as having great stability, many of the financial institutions not perhaps as different than 2008. Much of the UK public aren't too recovered from 2008 either and I think credit has shifted somewhat on to the public, as a method that people helped them to gain some stability after that. There was perhaps a mini reversal from state debt to citizen personal debt.

The foundations aren't perhaps as good as they could be and more people now have precarious income and employment situations. Whilst the government make some moves to relate to this, the government isn't made up of people like us.

With careful management of the infection rate, suppressing the escalation of new cases, it will I hope damage fewer people as savagely as well as easing the burden on businesses and the economy.

over a year ago

"The company I work for supplies power to most of the major festivals and events across the UK every summer, they are already worrying that they'll be cancelled and will hit the company hard this year, and are talking about 'measures to protect the business' which to me sounds like lay offs and redundancies. All this because someone ate a bat "

Snap! I'm Crew Chief for a firm that throws the great big temporary buildings up for these and this bloody virus has hit the industry like a sledgehammer, right before work normally picks up and becomes constant usually in about 3-4 weeks time....

As far as the thoughts of actually catching the virus goes, I have concerns for others especially my Mum, though I couldn't give a monkeys for myself as my immune system should bat the sodding thing aside no problem at all. The financial hit...Now that's another matter entirely, depending how long public events are likely to be quashed.

About the only work that may come in to replace this mountain quite possibly vanishing for the foreseeable would be temporary annexes and buildings for hospitals and quarantine centres...

B

Post new Message to Thread