FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Italy is closed because of the corona virus.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Are they over reacting, what is your view? I think that they dont need to close the whole country as a lockdown.

What happens to the italians that are on holiday and want to come home?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Lazy gits, the lot of them.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

23% of Italy's population is over 65. I'm glad Italy has closed down. I don't want the Dolmio man to die to death.

By *lphaomega3005Man
over a year ago

DARTFORD

As long as we don't get a pizza shortage...

Definitely an overreaction imo.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

some kid from rugby went to italy over the weekend or last week and contracted the virus

How dumb have you got to be

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Dammed if they do dammed if they don’t.

It’s not actually on complete lock down.

By *ylvie 888Woman
over a year ago

Cleethorpes

"As long as we don't get a pizza shortage...

Definitely an overreaction imo."

Will people stop eating at Italian restaurants or stop ordering pizza... like people stopped eating chinese take away?

By *nvisible_beardMan
over a year ago

near newbridge, wales

Give them the boot

By *hechairman18Man
over a year ago

Salford Quays , Manchester

I bet they aren't short of Pasta.

Could be a shortage of loo rolls.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Will people stop eating at Italian restaurants or stop ordering pizza... like people stopped eating chinese take away? "

well i went out for a lovely italian meal thursday night and the place was really busy

over a year ago

Will people stop eating at Italian restaurants or stop ordering pizza... like people stopped eating chinese take away? well i went out for a lovely italian meal thursday night and the place was really busy"

That’s really interesting. Chinese restaurants are empty. Staff not being called in, yet Italian restaurants are still going strong. And everyone is buying pasta. There were loads of noodles but no pasta. Go figure

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple
over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"Are they over reacting, what is your view? I think that they dont need to close the whole country as a lockdown.

What happens to the italians that are on holiday and want to come home?"

I don't think it's an overreaction. I was reading an article by some data science company who did some modeling. Apparently we are where Italy was in terms of cases a few weeks ago but they did too little too late and it's going to now be harder to temper the spread. Google Fast AI and coronavirus to read the article.

As for the UK, there would be no harm in implementing certain measures now... like avoiding unnecessary travel, working from home if possible and avoiding large gatherings.

Although everyone will get it one way or another, the idea is to slow the spread. That will help prevent hospitals reaching saturation too soon and give the weak and vulnerable a chance to receive the medical support they need when they need it.

over a year ago

From the article

This is not just a hypothetical situation — it was clearly displayed in the 1918 flu pandemic.

In the United States two cities displayed very different reactions to the pandemic: Philadelphia went ahead with a giant parade of 200,000 people to help raise money for the war. But St Louis put in place carefully designed processes to minimize social contacts so as to decrease the spread of the virus, along with cancelling all large events.

Here is what the number of deaths looked like in each city, as shown in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:

Impact of differing responses to the 1918 Flu pandemic

The situation in Philadelphia became extremely dire, even getting to a point where there were not enough funeral caskets or morgues to handle the huge number of dead from the flu.

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

I think they did the right thing, they’re trying especially to protect it from spreading to the elderly and more vulnerable.

over a year ago

Everywhere should close down for 8 weeks. China should have closed down straight away.

over a year ago

"Are they over reacting, what is your view? I think that they dont need to close the whole country as a lockdown.

What happens to the italians that are on holiday and want to come home?

I don't think it's an overreaction. I was reading an article by some data science company who did some modeling. Apparently we are where Italy was in terms of cases a few weeks ago but they did too little too late and it's going to now be harder to temper the spread. Google Fast AI and coronavirus to read the article.

As for the UK, there would be no harm in implementing certain measures now... like avoiding unnecessary travel, working from home if possible and avoiding large gatherings.

Although everyone will get it one way or another, the idea is to slow the spread. That will help prevent hospitals reaching saturation too soon and give the weak and vulnerable a chance to receive the medical support they need when they need it. "

It makes me wonder why the government hasn't been more proactive. Although to be fair, Boris has told us to wash our hands and sing Happy Birthday. Thanks, Boris.

By *r laidbackMan
over a year ago

London & New Brighton

"Everywhere should close down for 8 weeks. China should have closed down straight away. "

I said this from the start, everyone close down, i was meant to go Italy at the end of the mouth for my 50th birthday but with all this decided not to go seeing as i wish to see 51, called the airline to see if i could get my cash but and it was like no, now its on shut down, they have no choice.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

My friends daughter works in a/e at manchester hospital and the got sent home to self isolate then 2 days later was asked to go back to work as they where seen as low risk

over a year ago

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

What happens to the italians that are on holiday and want to come home?"

There won't be many Italians away on holiday. August is designated for holidays. Pretty much the whole country shuts down then so people can have their break.

over a year ago

Not an over reaction, they have to do something to slow the virus spread, they can't cope with what they've got. Another 2 weeks we could well be in the same boat, so between now and then the hospitals could well fill up and be overloaded and only then will anything be done about controlling it in the UK. The UK is going to take a huge economic hit no matter what happens, in my opinion and I appreciate yours may differ we should bite the bullet and take strong measures now to slow this down and save a few lives that need not be lost. It may be an over reaction but it could be cheaper in the long run

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I don’t feel it’s an overreaction. Something drastic needs to happen to delay further spread of the virus. I would rather take drastic measures in the early day and prevent too many deaths. The early stage is the most important.

I know people talk about the economy, production etc but if too many get the virus then it will affect the economy anyway.

The north going on lockdown didn’t work because people have traveled south to escape it, taking the virus with them.

14 flights came into the uk on Sunday from Italy with no measures to contain/isolate people. That sounds bonkers to me.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

"Everywhere should close down for 8 weeks. China should have closed down straight away. "

How would that work? The whole country just stop functioning? Not practically possible and no need to. Look at the statistics.

over a year ago

"I don’t feel it’s an overreaction. Something drastic needs to happen to delay further spread of the virus. I would rather take drastic measures in the early day and prevent too many deaths. The early stage is the most important.

I know people talk about the economy, production etc but if too many get the virus then it will affect the economy anyway.

The north going on lockdown didn’t work because people have traveled south to escape it, taking the virus with them.

14 flights came into the uk on Sunday from Italy with no measures to contain/isolate people. That sounds bonkers to me. "

I agree totally _abs...I seems we are not learning anything from other countries.

Almost seems like they want it to happen, but as long as we wash our hands eh.... But its airborne

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"I don’t feel it’s an overreaction. Something drastic needs to happen to delay further spread of the virus. I would rather take drastic measures in the early day and prevent too many deaths. The early stage is the most important.

14 flights came into the uk on Sunday from Italy with no measures to contain/isolate people. That sounds bonkers to me.

I agree totally _abs...I seems we are not learning anything from other countries.

Almost seems like they want it to happen, but as long as we wash our hands eh.... But its airborne "

The way I look at it is that carrying on as we are isn’t improving the situation so for things to change you need to do things differently.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I think I may be changing my holiday destination

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"I think I may be changing my holiday destination "

That makes two of us.

over a year ago

alura

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"I think I may be changing my holiday destination

That makes two of us. "

Cleethorpes?

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

"I think I may be changing my holiday destination "

We are hoping there will be some cheap holidays about soon

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"I think I may be changing my holiday destination

That makes two of us.

Cleethorpes?"

Or Skeggy

over a year ago

Almost seems like they want it to happen, but as long as we wash our hands eh.... But its airborne

The way I look at it is that carrying on as we are isn’t improving the situation so for things to change you need to do things differently. "

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Will people stop eating at Italian restaurants or stop ordering pizza... like people stopped eating chinese take away? "

Doubt it. Had two of our Chinese students report being racially abused in the street. It's utterly disgusting and ridiculous.

By *inky SpiceWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-italian-doctor-says-fighting-covid-19-outbreak-is-like-war-11954229

Read these reports from doctors fighting the virus right now and if you still think it's an over reaction then I can't understand how your mind works.

over a year ago

Almost seems like they want it to happen, but as long as we wash our hands eh.... But its airborne "

Yes it seems like that dont it, you can argue why normal flu dont make the headlines cos over 200 dies from that everyday which is alot more than this corona virus statistics.

over a year ago

over a year ago

""

Did you wash your thumb?

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

It’s not airborne it’s droplet spread - hence washing hands. If it was airborne almost everyone in the world would have it now

over a year ago

"It’s not airborne it’s droplet spread - hence washing hands. If it was airborne almost everyone in the world would have it now"

Honest question:

If the virus is spread by droplets why then are the government etc advising that face masks are uneffective at slowing the spread, they along with good hygiene would seem to be an ideal way of catching droplets that may end up in your nose or mouth

Not that I have any wish to walk around with a mask on

over a year ago

No pizza no ice cream no trips to see the Vatican

over a year ago

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538?s=20

Twitter thread by icu doctor in Italy describing the situation. As equipment runs out the elderly and those with pre existing conditions go to the end of the queue.

“Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now” by Tomas Pueyo https://link.medium.com/1kFZlR8pL4

This is also a good article with data for those interested... shows that what we know of cases in any given area is that they are many more than have yet been detected.

We're being told uk cases will peak in two weeks which to me implies all the transmission will be going on now

By *iddlesticksMan
over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

I know Wednesday is half day closing but this is getting silly.

over a year ago

"https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538?s=20

Twitter thread by icu doctor in Italy describing the situation. As equipment runs out the elderly and those with pre existing conditions go to the end of the queue.

“Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now” by Tomas Pueyo https://link.medium.com/1kFZlR8pL4

This is also a good article with data for those interested... shows that what we know of cases in any given area is that they are many more than have yet been detected.

We're being told uk cases will peak in two weeks which to me implies all the transmission will be going on now

"

But until Boris or his dad (etc.) gets it we're unlikely to see any action from the government to actually slow that transmission,it's OK for the plebs to die off

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think it's a reasonable move, potentially preventing greater levels of the infection causing severe overload of systems there.

International tourists could be prevented from catching it and taking it home too, which is a great move, if such travel is stopped for a few weeks.

The UK could stop some things now, around the areas where there is infection.

over a year ago

Almost seems like they want it to happen, but as long as we wash our hands eh.... But its airborne Yes it seems like that dont it, you can argue why normal flu dont make the headlines cos over 200 dies from that everyday which is alot more than this corona virus statistics."

Because at some point it's increasingly likely that the coronavirus will kill more than 200 daily, which they're trying to avoid if possible.

B

By *ildatheart6969Couple
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Seems like a few hear are asking for Draconian measures.

That's a very slippery slope

over a year ago

"It’s not airborne it’s droplet spread - hence washing hands. If it was airborne almost everyone in the world would have it now"

Lots of well intended misinformation spread, much like a virus itself.

Getting the right information is what will help people if changing patterns is what they plan to do.

Mail stated UK will be like Italy inside two weeks. Great headline news but the problem is the use of misinformation to predict something they can't but it sells papers.

Common sense needs to prevail with what people do, if it means changing plans and it costs, well change them and you'll increase your chances to plan again.

over a year ago

"

Did you wash your thumb?"

Yes I did too .

over a year ago

Almost seems like they want it to happen, but as long as we wash our hands eh.... But its airborne Yes it seems like that dont it, you can argue why normal flu dont make the headlines cos over 200 dies from that everyday which is alot more than this corona virus statistics.

Because at some point it's increasingly likely that the coronavirus will kill more than 200 daily, which they're trying to avoid if possible.

B"

That is right it could do that too, yes lets hope they can avoid it as well

over a year ago

I now heard that they wont help the pensioners, can they really do that?

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"I now heard that they wont help the pensioners, can they really do that?"

Yes, they only have a finite number of ICU beds, so they're prioritising those who have the best chance of recovery.

Same way we don't give surgery to older people because it's too risky they'd survive it.

over a year ago

"I now heard that they wont help the pensioners, can they really do that?"

Probably. Think of all the money they'll save in pension payments.

Dun

over a year ago

Ryanair have cancelled flights until 8 April. I'm due to fly to Rome on 9 April

hoping they extend the flying ban so i can rearrange

By *weet sourMan
over a year ago

swindon

Italy is not on lock down for instance all the airports are still working there is freedom of movement

over a year ago

"Italy is not on lock down for instance all the airports are still working there is freedom of movement "

There is restricted movements in and out of 14 provinces except for special supplies. I believe the Airports in those areas are closed for now. Many airlines have taken the decision not to fly in or out of Italy to help with control of it.

over a year ago

Just read an on the ground report by someone on Italian boarder.

The reality hits when your restricted to move about and can only leave house to get supplies. You have dead relatives in your house because all funerals have been banned. 60 million have been quarantined and predictions by medical staff are that their health service will collapse inside two weeks. Will the EU cough up to help them? The EU has been propping up this economically collapsed country for the past 5 or more years. It certainly needs outside intervention.

By *adyinred696969Couple
over a year ago

Brecon

"It’s not airborne it’s droplet spread - hence washing hands. If it was airborne almost everyone in the world would have it now

Honest question:

If the virus is spread by droplets why then are the government etc advising that face masks are uneffective at slowing the spread, they along with good hygiene would seem to be an ideal way of catching droplets that may end up in your nose or mouth

Not that I have any wish to walk around with a mask on"

Surgical masks protect down to a particle size of 5 microns.

Dustmasks (the ones everyone is buying) 0.3 microns

Covid-19 virus particle size 0.1 microns

Masks dont protect the eyes, the mucous membranes there can absorb moisture containing the virus.

over a year ago

"It’s not airborne it’s droplet spread - hence washing hands. If it was airborne almost everyone in the world would have it now

Honest question:

Masks dont protect the eyes, the mucous membranes there can absorb moisture containing the virus.

"

Time to get the swimming goggles out....

B

over a year ago

Honest question:

"

Thanks, I was reading this morning too that the type of mask that sits across your nose and mouth get damp with use and can also transmit the virus across the fabric that way

By *ohnjones3210Man
over a year ago

Chester

I think we should all go crazy, buy everything in shops, be sure to buy as many caskets as you can too.

Then we should shut the earth down for 3 months... And the moon, just incase space dust gets infected.

over a year ago

I have a friend in Milan. They are at max capacity with their ICU beds, having to make life and death decisions on who gets beds and who doesn't.

The Chinese hit this hard for a reason.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/03/20 10:45:29]

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

[Removed by poster at 12/03/20 10:44:34]

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I’ve cancelled my Italy holiday this morning it will take months for them to be clear of the virus and, apart from that we don’t know what will happen in the UK over the next few months so I might not even be able to get out of the uk to get to Italy

It’s cyclic ... it will arrive, peak and go and return a short time after in lesser virility and fade....

over a year ago

"I’ve cancelled my Italy holiday this morning it will take months for them to be clear of the virus and, apart from that we don’t know what will happen in the UK over the next few months so I might not even be able to get out of the uk to get to Italy

It’s cyclic ... it will arrive, peak and go and return a short time after in lesser virility and fade.... "

Did you get your money back...and if so was it via your insurance?

over a year ago

"I have a friend in Milan. They are at max capacity with their ICU beds, having to make life and death decisions on who gets beds and who doesn't.

The Chinese hit this hard for a reason. "

over a year ago

im alright, im from Scotland, we are immune, pickled in alcohol

over a year ago

"im alright, im from Scotland, we are immune, pickled in alcohol"

Get yourself to aldi mate as they have reduced corona lager

over a year ago

"im alright, im from Scotland, we are immune, pickled in alcohol

Get yourself to aldi mate as they have reduced corona lager "

It should always be reduced.

over a year ago

"im alright, im from Scotland, we are immune, pickled in alcohol

Get yourself to aldi mate as they have reduced corona lager "

corona lager is spanish not that its necessarily brewed in Spain

By *adyinred696969Couple
over a year ago

Brecon

Honest question:

Thanks, I was reading this morning too that the type of mask that sits across your nose and mouth get damp with use and can also transmit the virus across the fabric that way"

Mart was a CBRN Instructor in the Army.

If you want to protect your face, nose, mouth and eyes, do what the Army do, use gasmasks.

over a year ago

Honest question:

Thanks, I was reading this morning too that the type of mask that sits across your nose and mouth get damp with use and can also transmit the virus across the fabric that way

Mart was a CBRN Instructor in the Army.

If you want to protect your face, nose, mouth and eyes, do what the Army do, use gasmasks."

Out of the bedroom?!?! Are you mad woman??!!???!!!!

Post new Message to Thread