Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Managing my new manager

Jump to newest

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

I have recently moved teams in the office and my new manager is already putting in 1 hour lunch meetings from 12.30 to 1.30

Now don’t get me wrong I am a flexible but when you have 3 of these put in one week, and then have back to backs after I am trying to work out when to have lunch.

Then I noticed she has put it at the other London office so I have to have lunch and travel 30 mins for a 12.30 meeting now don’t get me wrong that’s taking the piss

Now I want to raise it without sounding like I am not overreacting or not flexible which I am not. I am tempted to say ohhh I have to eat at regular times to ensure that I eat properly. Also I have blocked lunch out in my diary

What do others think

My lunch is an hour long and I like to go out either for a walk or fresh air and lunch

Now I don’t want to appear as I am being akward but want to put a stop to it as soon as possible

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Simple, just say something like "any chance we could look at the meeting schedules that clash with our dinner breaks?"

over a year ago

"Simple, just say something like "any chance we could look at the meeting schedules that clash with our dinner breaks?""

Or tell her to fuck off.

over a year ago

"Simple, just say something like "any chance we could look at the meeting schedules that clash with our dinner breaks?"

Or tell her to fuck off."

My manager has told me I need to start watching what I say so I'm giving it a try

So far I don't like it

By *edMan
over a year ago

cambridgeshire

In your contract it probably says

1 hour, unpaid, for lunch

So, if it's not paid, why would you

I had similar and just said " its ok if I justove my lunch as I need to eat properly..

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

"Simple, just say something like "any chance we could look at the meeting schedules that clash with our dinner breaks?""

This But get someone else to say it ...lol

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Sorry not kidding around is there a senior member of the team with the same opinion as it would be so much better from established member of the team ..

over a year ago

"In your contract it probably says

1 hour, unpaid, for lunch

So, if it's not paid, why would you

I had similar and just said " its ok if I justove my lunch as I need to eat properly..

"

Exactly this. Chances are your manager just hasn't realised its clashing with your breaks.

Just go talk to them. They're only people

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Stockport

My last place did this so on those days I just went to lunch at 11:30 for the hour! But blocking your hour for lunch stating unavailable, away from desk is a good idea then they can’t book meetings

Good luck.

(My new job is much better as they know I avoid meetings and I’ve encouraged them to just talk to me during the working day so there’s never needs for actual 1to1’s now!)

Mrs J x

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Turn up for lunch meetings with lunch. Fish is always good, strong cheese, curry, garlic salad..you get the picture. Always answer or contribute with your mouth full & put greasy marks on any paperwork and/or furniture. Ensure a supply of crumbs remain at the end.

over a year ago

"Turn up for lunch meetings with lunch. Fish is always good, strong cheese, curry, garlic salad..you get the picture. Always answer or contribute with your mouth full & put greasy marks on any paperwork and/or furniture. Ensure a supply of crumbs remain at the end."

Yes, this! Ignore my last advice

100% this!

By *corpio67Man
over a year ago

hillingdon

Take your lunch into the meeting and make sure it's a very smelly curry.

That should do the trick!!

over a year ago

"Simple, just say something like "any chance we could look at the meeting schedules that clash with our dinner breaks?"

Or tell her to fuck off.

My manager has told me I need to start watching what I say so I'm giving it a try

So far I don't like it"

Do they want you to write it down on a piece of paper and hand it to them?

over a year ago

Or tell her to fuck off.

So far I don't like it

Do they want you to write it down on a piece of paper and hand it to them? "

Not quite to that extent. But I've been told I should stop swearing at my colleagues when they do something wrong

By *rghYeTimbersMan
over a year ago

Ipswich

Remember to leave smelly food containers in you managers desk bin at the end of lunchtime meetings.

over a year ago

"Turn up for lunch meetings with lunch. Fish is always good, strong cheese, curry, garlic salad..you get the picture. Always answer or contribute with your mouth full & put greasy marks on any paperwork and/or furniture. Ensure a supply of crumbs remain at the end.

100% this!"

Egg sandwiches stink the whole building out. I had a manager that used to eat them daily and it smealt like somebody had shit themselves.

over a year ago

"Turn up for lunch meetings with lunch. Fish is always good, strong cheese, curry, garlic salad..you get the picture. Always answer or contribute with your mouth full & put greasy marks on any paperwork and/or furniture. Ensure a supply of crumbs remain at the end.

100% this!

Egg sandwiches stink the whole building out. I had a manager that used to eat them daily and it smealt like somebody had shit themselves."

And try eating with your mouth open at all times.

over a year ago

I'd be very tempted to tell him that, as you hadn't been able to take your lunch break, you will be leaving an hour early.

over a year ago

Egg Sarnies in your meeting, crack that lunch box open everytime it starts

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

You could try confirming with your new boss that the travel time to the other office for these meetings is conside_ed to be on company time.

It's a bit passive-aggressive but if she says no then it puts her in the position of having to justify why she gets to tell you what to do in your lunch break.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Go to lunch at 13:30

over a year ago

Lunch? Lunch? What is this strange phenomenon. I get to take lunch out of the office about once a month if I am lucky.

over a year ago

"I have recently moved teams in the office and my new manager is already putting in 1 hour lunch meetings from 12.30 to 1.30

Now don’t get me wrong I am a flexible but when you have 3 of these put in one week, and then have back to backs after I am trying to work out when to have lunch.

Then I noticed she has put it at the other London office so I have to have lunch and travel 30 mins for a 12.30 meeting now don’t get me wrong that’s taking the piss

Now I want to raise it without sounding like I am not overreacting or not flexible which I am not. I am tempted to say ohhh I have to eat at regular times to ensure that I eat properly. Also I have blocked lunch out in my diary

What do others think

My lunch is an hour long and I like to go out either for a walk or fresh air and lunch

Now I don’t want to appear as I am being akward but want to put a stop to it as soon as possible "

Imagine getting an hour lunch break mind and moaning about it.

I get 5 minutes at the top of the scaffolding if i'm lucky

over a year ago

I block my lunches out I got sick of declining them, you need a break at lunch, I do anyway !

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I’d ask if there was a particular reason why meetings were being held at lunchtimes when there is the rest of the working day to utilise? And that maybe if they couldn’t fit meetings in at any other times that maybe they need to work on their time management skills.

But do it in a really loud innocent way with a “what the actual fuck?” edge to your voice.

Then mention you’re diabetic and need to eat and at regular times.

And if they don’t give you an answer you like, take it up with HR.

Just because some folk can exist on a 2 second lunch of fresh air, doesn’t mean it should become the norm.

And if you don’t raise it, they will think it’s ok and carry on doing it.

Tell them you get hangry

Post new Message to Thread