Back to The Lounge

Covid 19

Jump to newest

By *lder A Wiser Passion OP   Woman
over a year ago

morecambe

Who thinks like me it getting out of hand

There is lock down in Italy 16m of them in it

They were saying it could be three weeks on the TV before we could be in lock down our selfs

what do folk think and are folk like me buying in food just in case

So come on what do folk think

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think that this kind of panicked response is a bad thing.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

OP I think you need to chill

over a year ago

I wish people would realise its just the flu and get on with their lives

over a year ago

"Who thinks like me it getting out of hand

They were saying it could be three weeks on the TV before we could be in lock down our selfs

So come on what do folk think"

Italian government locks down cities so people cant leave. But allows flight to continue operating from the same cities.... says it all really

over a year ago

life goes on

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I think it's escalated quickly in Italy so potentially could here to.

Be prepa_ed!!!!

over a year ago

Italian government locks down cities so people cant leave. But allows flight to continue operating from the same cities.... says it all really "

Also they've allowed cafes and bars to stay open so I'm not sure how locked down this lock down actually is

over a year ago

"I wish people would realise its just the flu and get on with their lives "

By *ohnjones3210Man
over a year ago

Chester

I think it's full of shit. Just like BSE, turd flu, Russia's nuclear weapons, etc. Deal with it on the day, if that day comes init?

That being said, I wish the Chinese would take it more seriously. As much as I can't be arsed with this media fuelled hype, I do with they'd atleast try to prevent these illnesses from breaking out. Better management of animals, etc.

These issues really are a pain in the arse now.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

To be fair... if EVERYONE was quarantined for a few weeks, the whole thing would be over.

over a year ago

I work in a hospital with confirmed cases, why is the NHS not panicking?...because it's being blown out of proportion by the media.

Not that long ago we had SARS and H1N1 same attitude off the media forgotten about 3 months later

By *ohnjones3210Man
over a year ago

Chester

Italian government locks down cities so people cant leave. But allows flight to continue operating from the same cities.... says it all really

Also they've allowed cafes and bars to stay open so I'm not sure how locked down this lock down actually is"

I wonder if Italy has run out of pasta, like we have?

Ohhhh a fuckaaa, disa coronaaa virusa isa cominnnnng. Letssa buys some passssssta!

over a year ago

I’m more wondering why you’d seek opinion on it here...surely theres an NHS forum for folks like the OP & other folks to find even more folks who might be worried about it & their...folks

over a year ago

"I work in a hospital with confirmed cases, why is the NHS not panicking?...because it's being blown out of proportion by the media.

Not that long ago we had SARS and H1N1 same attitude off the media forgotten about 3 months later "

Thank you!

over a year ago

At least it's stopped everyone banging on about Brexit.

By *sm265Woman
over a year ago

Shangri-la

Panicking about it certainly isn't going to change anything.

No, I'm not rushing out to load my shopping trolley to the hilt. Nor am I losing sleep over something that ultimately I have very little control over.

I'm washing my hands with soap , covering my mouth if I cough, using tissues if I sneeze etc, just as I always have done. Beyond that I am carrying on with life exactly as normal.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"I work in a hospital with confirmed cases, why is the NHS not panicking?...because it's being blown out of proportion by the media.

Not that long ago we had SARS and H1N1 same attitude off the media forgotten about 3 months later "

I don't remember hearing very much about them at all tbh.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I am not sure why everyone blames everything on the media. Countries must think it is an issue or they wouldn't be having locked downs and us having contingency plans and cobra meetings

over a year ago

Not that long ago we had SARS and H1N1 same attitude off the media forgotten about 3 months later

Thank you! "

its annoying SARS was a strain of corona virus, hand gels antibacterial products for cleaning etc state on them kills Coronavirus it is not a new virus.

By *estofbothCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

I think people are going to cause more of a problem than the virus.

We are being a bit more cautious with travelling, but we always use plenty of hand sanitiser and common sense anyway.

Everywhere in Europe we’ve been the last few weeks everything seems normal, we are following the government advice and using a bit of discretion, we don’t want to be responsible for infecting anybody vulnerable.

However the people putting the vulnerable at risk are the ones panic buying and clearing supermarket shelves. What are the elderly who rely on a once weekly shop to eat meant to do, how do the poor that budget their food so closely cope when they suddenly need to travel further or find their usual stuff sold out.

There’s plenty to sustain everyone if we just be sensible. It’s not going to happen though, assholes will continue to panic buy, vulnerable people will be left without, and Janet will spend the next 6 months with 400 toilet rolls and 1000 dust masks in her living room unused.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I’m more wondering why you’d seek opinion on it here...surely theres an NHS forum for folks like the OP & other folks to find even more folks who might be worried about it & their...folks "

The same reason as people talk about Fray Bentos pies, it is the lounge where anything goes

By *heffmMan
over a year ago

sheffield

the next world shattering event will be upon us once this clears up

over a year ago

I am not sure why everyone blames everything on the media. Countries must think it is an issue or they wouldn't be having locked downs and us having contingency plans and cobra meetings

"

I appreciate your views and yes you are correct,it is protocol when a new strain of virus enters a country,the same thing happened with H1N1 and aviation flu(bird flu). I just dont think it's fair to worry and upset the general public unessecary,if individuals are at risk of complications from the virus then they will already have been made aware of this and precautions to take.

over a year ago

"I think people are going to cause more of a problem than the virus.

We are being a bit more cautious with travelling, but we always use plenty of hand sanitiser and common sense anyway.

Everywhere in Europe we’ve been the last few weeks everything seems normal, we are following the government advice and using a bit of discretion, we don’t want to be responsible for infecting anybody vulnerable.

However the people putting the vulnerable at risk are the ones panic buying and clearing supermarket shelves. What are the elderly who rely on a once weekly shop to eat meant to do, how do the poor that budget their food so closely cope when they suddenly need to travel further or find their usual stuff sold out.

There’s plenty to sustain everyone if we just be sensible. It’s not going to happen though, assholes will continue to panic buy, vulnerable people will be left without, and Janet will spend the next 6 months with 400 toilet rolls and 1000 dust masks in her living room unused. "

I hate Janet, always have.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I appreciate your views and yes you are correct,it is protocol when a new strain of virus enters a country,the same thing happened with H1N1 and aviation flu(bird flu). I just dont think it's fair to worry and upset the general public unessecary,if individuals are at risk of complications from the virus then they will already have been made aware of this and precautions to take."

But that isn't down to the media, our own Government is saying these things, they are just being repeated .

over a year ago

Think its quite hilarious that a new strain of flu has come out and people are going to starve themselves to death in their own home surrounded by toilet paper

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Think its quite hilarious that a new strain of flu has come out and people are going to starve themselves to death in their own home surrounded by toilet paper"

No, they won't starve. They have lots of Fray Bentos pies. Those will also ensure the toilet paper comes in handy too

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Think its quite hilarious that a new strain of flu has come out and people are going to starve themselves to death in their own home surrounded by toilet paper"

What is it with the toilet paper thing? I really don't get it...it isn't Norovirus where you might need them

over a year ago

"Think its quite hilarious that a new strain of flu has come out and people are going to starve themselves to death in their own home surrounded by toilet paper

What is it with the toilet paper thing? I really don't get it...it isn't Norovirus where you might need them "

I've no idea. I'm struggling to come up with a correlation myself

over a year ago

I appreciate your views and yes you are correct,it is protocol when a new strain of virus enters a country,the same thing happened with H1N1 and aviation flu(bird flu). I just dont think it's fair to worry and upset the general public unessecary,if individuals are at risk of complications from the virus then they will already have been made aware of this and precautions to take.

But that isn't down to the media, our own Government is saying these things, they are just being repeated . "

yes the same government who has repeatedly lied to the country for numerous years and acted on very little,the media repeats with copious amounts of exaggeration within their stories I am merely saying as part of a medical team that the NHS is not panicking,microbiologists professors work tirelessly to find out about strains vaccines cures etc and prevent pandemics of new viruses and are not concerned by this particular strain. I personally do not want to see people worried and anxious unless there is true need to be.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Think its quite hilarious that a new strain of flu has come out and people are going to starve themselves to death in their own home surrounded by toilet paper

What is it with the toilet paper thing? I really don't get it...it isn't Norovirus where you might need them

I've no idea. I'm struggling to come up with a correlation myself"

I am gonna look a right tool today as I need to buy some

over a year ago

I am gonna look a right tool today as I need to buy some "

I know what you mean, I always buy a big multipack, but I think I'll just buy a small pack until this blows over

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

But that isn't down to the media, our own Government is saying these things, they are just being repeated . "

Yes, the media repeats what the government is saying. They also embellish and exaggerate as much as they can.

The very fact they never provide recovery rate numbers along side their overuse of "death from the killer/deadly virus" just goes to show they make the most of the chaos.

If it's in the media it is likely true, but be sure as hell the information has been spun to give the largest impact as possible without full facts or being very selective with what information is provided, be it negative or positive (negative focused headlines and stories have the largest impact). It is all psychological manipulation. Number one skill of a reporter.

over a year ago

"I’m more wondering why you’d seek opinion on it here...surely theres an NHS forum for folks like the OP & other folks to find even more folks who might be worried about it & their...folks

The same reason as people talk about Fray Bentos pies, it is the lounge where anything goes"

I’m more referring to the point that if you’re really concerned wouldn’t it be better to ask for some expert advice or some random folks with their bits hanging out?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

But that isn't down to the media, our own Government is saying these things, they are just being repeated . yes the same government who has repeatedly lied to the country for numerous years and acted on very little,the media repeats with copious amounts of exaggeration within their stories I am merely saying as part of a medical team that the NHS is not panicking,microbiologists professors work tirelessly to find out about strains vaccines cures etc and prevent pandemics of new viruses and are not concerned by this particular strain. I personally do not want to see people worried and anxious unless there is true need to be."

So are you saying the Government is lying over this? So the statements that have been made from them are all scaremongering? Should they not have contingency plans incase it turns into half the country needed treatment from an already stretched NHS?

I know people who work in the NHS are worried for the extra work they may be needed to do.

Disclaimer...I am not worried and I don't know why people are buying toilet rolls. I am just going on what the PM has said and it seems they are trying to prevent because if they don't there could be a problem in the coming months

By *estofbothCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

"I am merely saying as part of a medical team that the NHS is not panicking,microbiologists professors work tirelessly to find out about strains vaccines cures etc and prevent pandemics of new viruses and are not concerned by this particular strain. I personally do not want to see people worried and anxious unless there is true need to be."

We were in Amsterdam end of last week, and played in a club with some friends, one of which is a doctor and her partner a lab technician that supports a university doing “crispr” research on the modification of bacteria. We obviously discussed the covid situation, their advice was to observe good hygiene and obviously avoid heavily infected regions, they weren’t overly alarmed though. As you said, there’s some very clever people working on this situation, and the worst thing we can do is panic and make things worse. People buying out supermarkets are the biggest risk to the vulnerable right now.

over a year ago

I've no idea. I'm struggling to come up with a correlation myself"

I'm assuming that people are worrying that if they are quarantined the need to wipe their arse somehow trumps all the other far more logical concerns that come with being quarantined

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I'm going shopping in a minute for coffee and birthday cake. There better not be a queue

over a year ago

But that isn't down to the media, our own Government is saying these things, they are just being repeated . yes the same government who has repeatedly lied to the country for numerous years and acted on very little,the media repeats with copious amounts of exaggeration within their stories I am merely saying as part of a medical team that the NHS is not panicking,microbiologists professors work tirelessly to find out about strains vaccines cures etc and prevent pandemics of new viruses and are not concerned by this particular strain. I personally do not want to see people worried and anxious unless there is true need to be.

So are you saying the Government is lying over this? So the statements that have been made from them are all scaremongering? Should they not have contingency plans incase it turns into half the country needed treatment from an already stretched NHS?

I know people who work in the NHS are worried for the extra work they may be needed to do.

Disclaimer...I am not worried and I don't know why people are buying toilet rolls. I am just going on what the PM has said and it seems they are trying to prevent because if they don't there could be a problem in the coming months"

I am not saying they are lieing I am saying that they are causing unnecessary panic amongst the public. I dont think that it will come to a major problem in the coming months. I also specialised in my field and work within the NHS corona virus has been present for many years and the odds of fatalities are no higher than the influenza virus which also kills from secondary infections.

over a year ago

"I am merely saying as part of a medical team that the NHS is not panicking,microbiologists professors work tirelessly to find out about strains vaccines cures etc and prevent pandemics of new viruses and are not concerned by this particular strain. I personally do not want to see people worried and anxious unless there is true need to be.

We were in Amsterdam end of last week, and played in a club with some friends, one of which is a doctor and her partner a lab technician that supports a university doing “crispr” research on the modification of bacteria. We obviously discussed the covid situation, their advice was to observe good hygiene and obviously avoid heavily infected regions, they weren’t overly alarmed though. As you said, there’s some very clever people working on this situation, and the worst thing we can do is panic and make things worse. People buying out supermarkets are the biggest risk to the vulnerable right now.

"

Thankyou this is all I'm trying to say that the public shouldnt be panicked by information given on what might happen

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I'm assuming that people are worrying that if they are quarantined the need to wipe their arse somehow trumps all the other far more logical concerns that come with being quarantined "

Mind blowing

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Disclaimer...I am not worried and I don't know why people are buying toilet rolls. I am just going on what the PM has said and it seems they are trying to prevent because if they don't there could be a problem in the coming months I am not saying they are lieing I am saying that they are causing unnecessary panic amongst the public. I dont think that it will come to a major problem in the coming months. "

Yes, the initial info is coming from the Government. On the one hand I agree with you, people go into panic mode and buy toilet rolls but if they didn't give the info we would be complaining then

All the experts seem to think it will be a problem if it isn't contained

over a year ago

Italy has a much older population than us that's why you are seeing so many cases there depending on numbers some schools may close and people might be encouraged to work from home but I don't think it will get to the point of lockdown

over a year ago

We are all Doomed, Doomed I tell ya... The end is neigh!

over a year ago

Look at Italy, they ain't gonna fuck the economy up for nothing. If it were 'just flu' then this wouldn't be hitting the economy.

I'm not panicking, just realising that when it gets hold it will push the NHS to the brink, this after 9 years of austerity have shafted it

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I'll tell you what I think....

I wish I was a shareholder in Andrex

By *atex and KinkCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

In the simplest of terms.

"Stop being manky bastards! And wash yer hands properly humans...."

over a year ago

"

They had all sorts of committees set up for the millennium bug which turned out to be bollocks

By *atex and KinkCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

They had all sorts of committees set up for the millennium bug which turned out to be bollocks"

I am sure that is sarcastic humour. But I'll bite anyway.

You are aware the millennium bug was computer related not medical related right....

over a year ago

Just hearing on the radio, an intensive care doctor has warned about how hard it is to treat Covid 19 patients.

They are becoming overwhelmed, running out of equipment and beds. What you have to remember is, that will impact the whole of society. The Italian health system is much better equipped than ours!

Sure,if you are fit and healthy, no need to worry. It's the knock on effects that it will have on the wider economy and our health service. I think these things work on a fine balance, a lot of infections where people need intense care, will have repercussions for is all.

I really hope it Italy is just a severe case.

over a year ago

"Just hearing on the radio, an intensive care doctor has warned about how hard it is to treat Covid 19 patients.

They are becoming overwhelmed, running out of equipment and beds. What you have to remember is, that will impact the whole of society. The Italian health system is much better equipped than ours!

Sure,if you are fit and healthy, no need to worry. It's the knock on effects that it will have on the wider economy and our health service. I think these things work on a fine balance, a lot of infections where people need intense care, will have repercussions for is all.

I really hope it Italy is just a severe case."

Italian intensive care doctor, that should read

By *edMan
over a year ago

cambridgeshire

"In the simplest of terms.

"Stop being manky bastards! And wash yer hands properly humans...."

"

Sit in a hospital and see how many people ignore the hand sanitisers..

And the amount of times stood at the urinal and seeing guys come out from the bog and walk out without washing their hands

Not everyone is getting the message..

By *ohnjones3210Man
over a year ago

Chester

But that's not quite true.

Our government is just stating facts - it's not being extreme in any way that I can see. I agree with whoever is blaming the media. They're always exaggerating things! Ofcourse, dull stories don't sell. "We're all going to die!" Would make money!

over a year ago

The media of course has to report the news, but they are guilty of making panic buying inevitable just by the photographs they use. The standard photo accompanying a panic buying story is empty shelves in a supermarket, thus people get the idea they had better stock up fast. Who would have thought toilet roll would be so photogenic.

By *ine of BootyCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow/ Manchester

It’s global and it’s very serious, over the weekend John Travolta was even taken in with a suspected case!

Turns out his was just a Saturday Night Fever.....

over a year ago

If they could tag the shutdown onto the easter school hols that would be great!

over a year ago

It's just a bloody flu bug. It's hardly Contagion stuff.

over a year ago

"It's just a bloody flu bug. It's hardly Contagion stuff. "

It's not. They model flu numbers every year, this they can't model, it's an evolving situation.

If you are fit, no need to worry, it's the knock on effects for our health service you need to be aware of.

over a year ago

over a year ago

"

This came up on my news feed today from the metro "100,000 people in uk could die from covid worst case scenario" that's why the media are blamed this is what's making people panic

over a year ago

This came up on my news feed today from the metro "100,000 people in uk could die from covid worst case scenario" that's why the media are blamed this is what's making people panic "

we have confirmed cases where I work there are no isolation units at hospitals just side rooms that are taped off and barrier nursing in place 100,000 people is slightly extreme

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

But that isn't down to the media, our own Government is saying these things, they are just being repeated .

But that's not quite true.

Our government is just stating facts - it's not being extreme in any way that I can see. I agree with whoever is blaming the media. !"

That same person is saying the government is" causing unnecessary panic amongst the public" on a further post

I agree the media can exaggerate and do ( I don't know if they have in this case ) but the information still has come from the Government

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Just popped in Tescos for something for dinner. There was a couple unloading their trollies, on the next till. They had trays of tins of beans, soup and vegetables. Packets of pasta and loads of jars of sauce. Pathetic and selfish A supervisor came over and said they could only have 5 of each item, they were not amused. Plenty of toilet rolls, no paracetamol.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Happy to report sensible shoppers where I've just been, and plenty of stock. And no queues

By *ilth500Man
over a year ago

Merseyside

Paris st german European game to be played behind closed doors

Paris euro Disney still open apparently. strange that

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

"Look at Italy, they ain't gonna fuck the economy up for nothing. If it were 'just flu' then this wouldn't be hitting the economy.

I'm not panicking, just realising that when it gets hold it will push the NHS to the brink, this after 9 years of austerity have shafted it "

Yes

All we can do is our own part to help slow it down, keep taking precautions and be aware of the elderly, support the NHS by being responsible.

over a year ago

"Look at Italy, they ain't gonna fuck the economy up for nothing. If it were 'just flu' then this wouldn't be hitting the economy.

I'm not panicking, just realising that when it gets hold it will push the NHS to the brink, this after 9 years of austerity have shafted it

Yes

All we can do is our own part to help slow it down, keep taking precautions and be aware of the elderly, support the NHS by being responsible."

over a year ago

No, they won't starve. They have lots of Fray Bentos pies. Those will also ensure the toilet paper comes in handy too "

Did you know they do a cheese and onion Frays Benton pies

By *rghYeTimbersMan
over a year ago

Ipswich

Probably better to get this one than the next what ever (if you're under 50).

It may shake up the housing market over the next two years.

Things are going to hurt for a bit and business will suffer.

Hopefully it will all be over in time for summer.

over a year ago

I think most people already have some tins in the cupboard, some frozen stuff in the freezer and enough bog roll to last a week or two. It's embarrassing the way they're carrying on.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/03/20 18:27:24]

over a year ago

"I think most people already have some tins in the cupboard, some frozen stuff in the freezer and enough bog roll to last a week or two. It's embarrassing the way they're carrying on."

No sunglasses here mate...over 50 (fab age) my planned holiday in may looks highly unlikely.

Just looking at Italy on the news and theres over a hund_ed more dead in just today...so hardly like your common flu big as many seem to say, and I hardly think that is hype from the media.

I get that a lot on here are younger people hence the lack of fear to this.

In reality we are only 2 weeks behind italy and though this will most likely get shot down...yeah I'm worried.

Ps not a rant at you mate...I just needed a recent comment to get me started

over a year ago

I genuinely need to go food shopping and I could do with some bog roll but I don't want to go and it look like I'm a looser thats panic buying so might just go to the pub for a shit and have my tea there might do that every night untill this all blows over good excuse to go to the pub.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

"I think most people already have some tins in the cupboard, some frozen stuff in the freezer and enough bog roll to last a week or two. It's embarrassing the way they're carrying on."

It doesn't seem that people keep stock items anymore. The suspicion is people have not been able to stock foods, or keep a pantry because they can't afford to spend on stock foods/pantries

I suppose with so many needing food banks that having a cupboard full of tins/flour/pasta is a luxury they don't have.

Post new Message to Thread