Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How long could you live..

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

On what food you currently have in your house?

Just got me thinking with the current situation. Should shops end up closing due to staff sickness, or any other reason really.

I live in a rural area and so when I shop I shop in bulk and I batch cook also. I have a pantry that looks like a little shop lol. I reckon if there were no food to buy, that I could ration and stretch my food out for approximately 4 months. (guestimation)

I know people who literally only keep in what they will eat for the next 3 to 4 days.

I'm not saying people should stockpile or think the worst, just interested in how long your current food could last you and your household.

So

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

7 weeks max I reckon

By *ackandJill1Couple
over a year ago

Leeds

I've a freezer full of meat and fish but little in other long date food so once the fridge stuffs gone I'm getting scurvy for sure! A couple of months before everything gone maybe

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

Does this include cannibalism?

I reckon I could get a few weeks out of the sprogs

By *emma HoldenTV/TS
over a year ago

Ramsey

3 weeks. Longer if I tape the kids mouths shut to stop them scoffing crisps & biscuits between meals. 3rd week would be odd meals though, mix & match the remnants!

over a year ago

Done a £100 shop yesterday.

So maybe 16 hours

By *urvyandCurious999Woman
over a year ago

Hiding from twats

A couple of months. I don't think the kids would be best pleased with all the rice and lentils and pulses though.

over a year ago

Haha loving the responses. Yes the nearer the end of your supplies it wouldn't be proper meals, it's bits and pieces lol.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Ages, although the meals would get kinda weird and very lacking in fruit/veg, which we buy fresh. Plenty of random tins of stuff and a freezer full of bulk buys, slow cooker batch cooking and leftovers frozen for a quick tea

over a year ago

I can’t live if living is without you

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

"Done a £100 shop yesterday.

So maybe 16 hours "

Hope it was not all soap and loo rolls

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/03/20 22:35:54]

over a year ago

I've had to wait a day longer for my delivery this week and it's been a nightmare.

I'd like to think I'd be good in a survival scenario (I've played a lot of Fallout), but I need a decent meal and a big comfy bed or it's just not worth living.

So 8-9 days before I go savage.

x

over a year ago

If bog roll was edible about 6 months

over a year ago

Honestly, about a day... sadly it has to last 2 weeks, oh well my jeans are getting tight anyway

over a year ago

"Done a £100 shop yesterday.

So maybe 16 hours

Hope it was not all soap and loo rolls"

There was literally no hand soap available in asda, they sold out of it all because of the Corona virus

By *emma HoldenTV/TS
over a year ago

Ramsey

They were sticking up notices limiting customers to 3 of each of certain items. Place was packed. I only did my usual weekly shop. There isn't even a single confirmed case of the virus on the island yet! Utter lunacy. No soap left & I only wanted one bottle!

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

The way my kids go through food? I give it two days max.

Although we have a chest freezer i’m sure the food at the very bottom is from 2015 so it might be ok....

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

About a couple of weeks, but I have deliberately been running ma freezer down cos it needs defrosting

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It would depend if we knew we needed to make it last. Two weeks normal eating, four weeks if we had to make it last possibly a bit longer.

I think most of us could manage on 75 to 50% of what we eat now if we had to

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Not long unless i eat the dog food.

By *reeman76Man
over a year ago

oldbury

"Does this include cannibalism?

I reckon I could get a few weeks out of the sprogs "

Bit weird

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Probably a couple of months at a push. A lot of our meals would consist of crisps though.

By *arialoueWoman
over a year ago

bradford

I reckon about 3 months coz there's only me to feed

By *ornyhappyCouple
over a year ago

perth

Probably 2 or 3 weeks. Would involve some creative recipes & unusual combinations though!

K

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

Bloody ages. My freezers are packed.

I'm good at buying frozen food, but rarely use it. I mostly cook with fresh ingredients,about all I use from the freezer are prawns and peas!

The total collapse of civilization will be a good excuse to use up all those portions of frozen sausage casserole...

By *inky SpiceWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

About 6 - 8 weeks probably. I'd start fasting, that would make the food go further!

By *inky SpiceWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

For those saying they can't get handsoap in their local shops just fill up your soap dispensers with shower gel, it's basically the same thing. Failing that try liquid dish detergent. Make do and mend peoples! This is war!

over a year ago

Probably 3 weeks worth

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

About a month

over a year ago

About three weeks. I have deliberately run down the freezer, the fridge and cupboards because I was sick of sitting on stock that can sit in supermarket warehouses instead.

By *emma HoldenTV/TS
over a year ago

Ramsey

"For those saying they can't get handsoap in their local shops just fill up your soap dispensers with shower gel, it's basically the same thing. Failing that try liquid dish detergent. Make do and mend peoples! This is war! "

I figured the shower gel thing earlier today but to the marauding hoards in the supermarket it simply HAS to gave antibac on the label to panic buy it. Nobody realises it's the hot water that kills the germs off. Muppets!

over a year ago

I’d say about three weeks

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

I spend half my week in hotels, so long as the kitchen is open I'll be OK.

over a year ago

2 weeks.

If it was the case that I would starve to death without an option of getting more, I could ration it to 4 weeks.

I shop fresh mostly but always have "reserves" like a bit of frozen and tinned stuff

over a year ago

Food wise 3 to 4 weeks

Alcohol... 2 wks.. Eck I better buy more wine.. PANICCCC

over a year ago

Well i survive 3 weeks eith a apple a day when someone rob all my money from my house and run away ..my landlord triw mw in the streets he was made with the guy who stole all my money..so i reckon 3 to 4 weeks

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

I don't think I'm gonna starve any time soon.

One advantage to being a fat git.

By *arakiss12TV/TS
over a year ago

Bedford

Don't worry the goverment have contingency plans, food and cleansing kits to give free of charge to people in home quarantine.........don't they? Somebody?

Uncle Ben's rice is a good one to store long term, good variety too. Dried milk or Coffee mate in case of milk shortage.

My fave is Golden Veg. if anyone in the goverment is reading. Oh and chicken noodle soup, if you can throw in a lippy and mascara too, cheers.

My current supplies should last about a week or two. Thinking of doing some geurilla planting, peas, carrots and pots.

Anyone seen Naked and Afraid?

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

About a week and a half.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Two or three weeks out of the fridge, pantry and freezer. After that it's trapping squirrels from the garden. When all the squirrels are gone, it's gonna be magpies and eventually rats...

By *kbull2000Man
over a year ago

Carluke

Maybe 6 months. I've lived in some pretty remote places in the world so am pretty prepared by nature.

Diesel generator, a couple of methods for purifying water, plenty of tins, grains and pulses.

You soon dismiss fridges and freezers when forced to live through extended power cuts.

I do need to get some long life milk, though. I can get right cranky when without my coffee.

By *hloevtTV/TS
over a year ago

norwich

37 minutes, I'm a gready girl !! X

over a year ago

Having my own live stock and 3 shared freezers full of meat I reckon I could last a fair while on the atkins diet and could even probably stick to a strict keto diet for about 6-9 months maybe more if I cut portion size

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

We have a large cheat freezer full of food and kitchen cupboards full so we would last quite a while. We would miss fresh veg though.

By *hedevilKTWoman
over a year ago

milton keynes

Went shopping today so a fair while I’d say but it was madness half selves empty all soap and loo roll gone I got last pack. Was rammed with ppl panic buying stuff I just got normal shop with few extra tinned items as having had a death in mk already and me having Underlying illness not taking chances lol

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Several weeks, I’ve got various tins in the pantry and a load of catering sized tins. I’d have to develop a taste for beans though. Got a massive sack of rice and pasta too. Plus, have three fields around me growing vegetables, cauliflower can do anything!

By *arakiss12TV/TS
over a year ago

Bedford

"We have a large cheat freezer full of food and kitchen cupboards full so we would last quite a while. We would miss fresh veg though."

I grew potatoes in grow bags a few times. Dead easy. Trouble is they take forever, April to September.

By *rincesouthMan
over a year ago

south

I think I could last about 5hrs...

over a year ago

Probably 10days maybe 2 weeks at a push.

over a year ago

Probably about 3 months with everything I have in and no I’m not sharing

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

As I'm moving currently about a week in my cupboards as I've run everything down, if it got serious and into lockdown situations we wouldn't run out as the farm provides all that we need so we would probably have the army as lodgers

over a year ago

"As I'm moving currently about a week in my cupboards as I've run everything down, if it got serious and into lockdown situations we wouldn't run out as the farm provides all that we need so we would probably have the army as lodgers "

And me if you make a roast every day

over a year ago

"On what food you currently have in your house?

Just got me thinking with the current situation. Should shops end up closing due to staff sickness, or any other reason really.

I live in a rural area and so when I shop I shop in bulk and I batch cook also. I have a pantry that looks like a little shop lol. I reckon if there were no food to buy, that I could ration and stretch my food out for approximately 4 months. (guestimation)

I know people who literally only keep in what they will eat for the next 3 to 4 days.

I'm not saying people should stockpile or think the worst, just interested in how long your current food could last you and your household.

So"

I'm away so as long as i couldn't eat

over a year ago

I don't do a big shop, little weekly ones for me. I find I have too much waste if I do big shops and I struggle to plan. So I would say not very long, naybe a month if I really had to push it.

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

It would last a while, I was a girl guide, I’m good at making something out of not much.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

A couple of days..then I'll have to start killing the neighbors for there food...that will teach them with there panic buying..

over a year ago

Some of you will be resorting to desperate measures lol.

I've just posted 2 toilet rolls to a friend in need!

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Not long. We’ve been running the cupboards & freezer down

over a year ago

I was just wondering what I had in my bottom cupboards and I have 24 army ration pack meals nearly two years out of date.but they selling out of tins beans is really silly . They still have everything else.

over a year ago

About a month or so

By *irm hand LukeMan
over a year ago

Berkshire/West Oxfordshire

I'm amazed how long people could last. I'd say somewhere between a week or 2 and that's with what I consider a well stocked freezer. Although it's well stocked for a single guy which could be the difference

By *ndrew CareyMan
over a year ago

Peterborough, Cambridgeshire & Lincolnshire

So"

I don't live in a rural area but I always bulk shop, something my mum taught us to do.

So, I'm good for just over 3 months. I can also bake so can make bread and cake if needed.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Maybe a week for just the 2 of us. If the "kids" are included about 2 days.

over a year ago

"

I don't live in a rural area but I always bulk shop, something my mum taught us to do.

So, I'm good for just over 3 months. I can also bake so can make bread and cake if needed."

I can't bake to save my life but I can make flat breads using just yogurt and flour which would do. Though once the yogurt ran out...

over a year ago

So"

You pulled am skint and got weeks worth food when can I move in.

Xx

By *he Little Fuck MachineMan
over a year ago

Co.Antrim

4 months

over a year ago

6 hours omg I'm dead

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

Not long, I shop every few days so there is hardly anything in my cupboards and I don’t freeze food, I could do with losing several stone anyway

By *ympho6969Woman
over a year ago

glasgow

I could easily feed myself for 4 to 6 weeks. Would run out of fresh stuff, cereal and snacks but I'm good for meals.

Would have been over 2 months but one of my freezers decided to defrost itself at the weekend

By *ndrew CareyMan
over a year ago

Peterborough, Cambridgeshire & Lincolnshire

"

So, I'm good for just over 3 months. I can also bake so can make bread and cake if needed.

I can't bake to save my life but I can make flat breads using just yogurt and flour which would do. Though once the yogurt ran out... "

I also bought some milk powder, so will do some experimentation.

In theory, it should work provided the yoghurt starter is available

over a year ago

"Not long, I shop every few days so there is hardly anything in my cupboards and I don’t freeze food, I could do with losing several stone anyway "
lose several cupboards too you don't need them

over a year ago

I get a few meat parcels in every month which means I only have to shop for fruit and veg daily. On the basis that I just gotta survive, I've probably got another 20 pieces of meat in the freezer along with pasta, rice and tinned beans and soup. At a guess I'd say i could last another 4 weeks before i started eating the leg of one of my housemates

over a year ago

I got loads kicking about in the freezer and loads of tins of soups, and abundance of pasta but I’d go nuts without fresh milk.

In a zombie apocalypse you’re supposed to fill your bath tub with water so you have water to drink when everyone else is dead and no one to man the reservoirs shutting off your supply. Then you’re to knock out your stairs cos zombies can’t climb or jump apparently.

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

7-10 days max I reckon. Probably closer to 7.

over a year ago

"Not long, I shop every few days so there is hardly anything in my cupboards and I don’t freeze food, I could do with losing several stone anyway "

Pretty much the same here

Post new Message to Thread