Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Breaking the habit.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

No not the linkin park song even though it is great.

At 7pm yesterday I put out my last cig (again) so I've entered the I'm quitting stage (again) last time I managed just short of 9 months and then life broke me, I really want make it to a whole year at least, so who's got tips or possible coping mechanisms to help me?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Start sucking cock instead so you always have something in your mouth

But good luck! X

over a year ago

"Start sucking cock instead so you always have something in your mouth

But good luck! X"

Chance would be a fine thing.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We gave up over 30 years ago. We listened to Alan Carr on cassette (yes, that long ago) and stopped, dead. I still dream I've accidentally started smoking again and still occasionally crave a smoke. My tip is to just stop. I do understand that doesn't work for everyone

By *ylvie 888Woman
over a year ago

Cleethorpes

Life is a bit better now isn't it... so just keep looking forward and moving forward.

I'll try to be about to chat to on here if needed.

Try not to inhale the contents of your fridge!

Take care of you and your 3 rings xx

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Well done

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"We gave up over 30 years ago. We listened to Alan Carr on cassette (yes, that long ago) and stopped, dead. I still dream I've accidentally started smoking again and still occasionally crave a smoke. My tip is to just stop. I do understand that doesn't work for everyone"

No she doesn't mean the buck toothed comedian and chat show host.........

over a year ago

"We gave up over 30 years ago. We listened to Alan Carr on cassette (yes, that long ago) and stopped, dead. I still dream I've accidentally started smoking again and still occasionally crave a smoke. My tip is to just stop. I do understand that doesn't work for everyone

No she doesn't mean the buck toothed comedian and chat show host........."

I really thought she did

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I stopped 15yrs ago by chewing the nicotine gum and then just normal gum. Life got stressful a few years back so now vape.

over a year ago

"Well done "

Not yet I need to make it stick, but thank you

over a year ago

Take up a hobby that will keep your hands occupied. My father took up road cycling and now he even competes in events.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"We gave up over 30 years ago. We listened to Alan Carr on cassette (yes, that long ago) and stopped, dead. I still dream I've accidentally started smoking again and still occasionally crave a smoke. My tip is to just stop. I do understand that doesn't work for everyone

I really thought she did "

The cat's grandmother?

over a year ago

"Life is a bit better now isn't it... so just keep looking forward and moving forward.

"

Life is peachy right now, if not a little lonely and boring. Got my permanent contract from work this week too so I can rest easy knowing that everything is a little more secure. The rings have gone, I've got 3 bars for now

Thank you, you're ace

over a year ago

I really thought she did

The cat's grandmother?"

Oops, sorry

By *oneyjule65Couple
over a year ago

Halifax

I gave up 7 years ago now vape...it's physiological as well as physical. The worst thing you can think is that you are never going to smoke again...take it a minute at a time...I kept a pack for a couple of years & occasionally had a sniff of them but never lit one...in the end I forgot I had them....it's the best thing I did my skin is better,I smell & taste better...good luck...you can do this...

By *uicylucy76Woman
over a year ago

thornton cleveleys

Next wk I’ve stopped for 3 yr!

I read a book called stop smoking for dummies... its fantastic and changes your mindset.

Ok.... I miss smoking so much but I had really bad asthma and was literally dying smoking... I feel so much better and don’t use any inhalers at all anymore.. I value my life more than smoking now x

over a year ago

"I stopped 15yrs ago by chewing the nicotine gum and then just normal gum. Life got stressful a few years back so now vape."

I'm doing it with vape, but dont want to get stuck on them like I did last time.

over a year ago

"Next wk I’ve stopped for 3 yr!

I read a book called stop smoking for dummies... its fantastic and changes your mindset.

Ok.... I miss smoking so much but I had really bad asthma and was literally dying smoking... I feel so much better and don’t use any inhalers at all anymore.. I value my life more than smoking now x"

Ooh I'm going to seek out that book

over a year ago

My brother is stopping smoking. He takes these pills. They actually work to. He's been on them two days and he already is not liking taste of them. Speak t your doctor or ring NHS help line. Good luck man

over a year ago

"My brother is stopping smoking. He takes these pills. They actually work to. He's been on them two days and he already is not liking taste of them. Speak t your doctor or ring NHS help line. Good luck man"
Taste of cigs not the pills

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I really thought she did

The cat's grandmother?

Oops, sorry "

Google the Alan Carr method and don't substitute one addiction with another

over a year ago

"Take up a hobby that will keep your hands occupied. My father took up road cycling and now he even competes in events. "

My worst part and trigger is after food, the intense cravings last about 20 mins. But yeah I'm keeping my hands busy

over a year ago

"I stopped 15yrs ago by chewing the nicotine gum and then just normal gum. Life got stressful a few years back so now vape.

I'm doing it with vape, but dont want to get stuck on them like I did last time."

Vapes are worse than cigs

over a year ago

I really thought she did

The cat's grandmother?

Oops, sorry

Google the Alan Carr method and don't substitute one addiction with another"

On it now thank you

over a year ago

"I stopped 15yrs ago by chewing the nicotine gum and then just normal gum. Life got stressful a few years back so now vape.

I'm doing it with vape, but dont want to get stuck on them like I did last time. Vapes are worse than cigs"

I know which is why I want it as a short term fix, plus I mix my own liquids so I'm only 1mg of nicotine.

over a year ago

"No not the linkin park song even though it is great.

At 7pm yesterday I put out my last cig (again) so I've entered the I'm quitting stage (again) last time I managed just short of 9 months and then life broke me, I really want make it to a whole year at least, so who's got tips or possible coping mechanisms to help me? "

make it a competition in your mind that you never want to lose, stay away from things that attract you habitually, play more sport

over a year ago

"My brother is stopping smoking. He takes these pills. They actually work to. He's been on them two days and he already is not liking taste of them. Speak t your doctor or ring NHS help line. Good luck man"

I've used prescribed methods before and the dont like me, they fuck with your head, I'm not allowed them anymore.

By *rumguy1980Man
over a year ago

stechford

"I stopped 15yrs ago by chewing the nicotine gum and then just normal gum. Life got stressful a few years back so now vape."

What mod you got?

over a year ago

"No not the linkin park song even though it is great.

At 7pm yesterday I put out my last cig (again) so I've entered the I'm quitting stage (again) last time I managed just short of 9 months and then life broke me, I really want make it to a whole year at least, so who's got tips or possible coping mechanisms to help me? make it a competition in your mind that you never want to lose, stay away from things that attract you habitually, play more sport "

I hate sport , I've downloaded a smokefree app that tracks your progress and informs you of the benefits etc, that should help with the competition idea

By *rumguy1980Man
over a year ago

stechford

I'm doing it with vape, but dont want to get stuck on them like I did last time. Vapes are worse than cigs"

Oh foolish man lol do you not read anything vaping is 95% healther that cigs as cigs have over 7000 chemicals in them 69 that cause cancer amd vaping only 5 chemicals none that cause cancer so vaping is the safer way to go

By *ylvie 888Woman
over a year ago

Cleethorpes

"Life is a bit better now isn't it... so just keep looking forward and moving forward.

Life is peachy right now, if not a little lonely and boring. Got my permanent contract from work this week too so I can rest easy knowing that everything is a little more secure. The rings have gone, I've got 3 bars for now

Thank you, you're ace "

Bars!!!! Hmmm....

over a year ago

I'm doing it with vape, but dont want to get stuck on them like I did last time. Vapes are worse than cigs

Oh foolish man lol do you not read anything vaping is 95% healther that cigs as cigs have over 7000 chemicals in them 69 that cause cancer amd vaping only 5 chemicals none that cause cancer so vaping is the safer way to go "

Oh foolish man, do you learn anything from history? Cigs were given to soldiers to help calm their nerves, a medical marvel if you will, it's only now years down the line that we now know how bad they are for you, nobody can possibly say with any conviction that vaping is safer as we dont have the wealth of studies to prove nor disprove how dangerous it is.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/03/20 21:07:03]

over a year ago

Thank you, you're ace

Bars!!!! Hmmm....

"

Do behave

By *erryxxxWoman
over a year ago

manchester

I'm doing it with vape, but dont want to get stuck on them like I did last time. Vapes are worse than cigs

I know which is why I want it as a short term fix, plus I mix my own liquids so I'm only 1mg of nicotine."

I did it with nicotine lozenges, they still take the edge off the cravings but break the hand-to-mouth habit.

And you can pop em anywhere.

I found them much easier to give up once I’d broken the habit part of it.

over a year ago

I know which is why I want it as a short term fix, plus I mix my own liquids so I'm only 1mg of nicotine.

I did it with nicotine lozenges, they still take the edge off the cravings but break the hand-to-mouth habit.

And you can pop em anywhere.

I found them much easier to give up once I’d broken the habit part of it. "

yeah I'm going to get some of them when I get paid, I cant get addicted to cuppa chup lollies again.

over a year ago

I did patches stopped for 10yrs now best thing Iv done, no more a slave to nicotine and never thought of one since. Just keep goin you’ll be fine

By *aven RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Good luck OP. I gave up not long ago, I use a vape to help. I slip when I have a drink though. It's still hard but keep at it x

over a year ago

"I did patches stopped for 10yrs now best thing Iv done, no more a slave to nicotine and never thought of one since. Just keep goin you’ll be fine "

I know I can do 9 months, I've got some patches, they help but dont fully work for me

over a year ago

"Good luck OP. I gave up not long ago, I use a vape to help. I slip when I have a drink though. It's still hard but keep at it x"

Ooh that's the toughest when you've had a drink. But I can happily take or leave alcohol so I might even knock that on the head for a bit.

over a year ago

"I did patches stopped for 10yrs now best thing Iv done, no more a slave to nicotine and never thought of one since. Just keep goin you’ll be fine

I know I can do 9 months, I've got some patches, they help but dont fully work for me "

They take the edge off and break the hand to mouth habit needs lots of willpower

over a year ago

"I did patches stopped for 10yrs now best thing Iv done, no more a slave to nicotine and never thought of one since. Just keep goin you’ll be fine

I know I can do 9 months, I've got some patches, they help but dont fully work for me

They take the edge off and break the hand to mouth habit needs lots of willpower "

Willpower or there lack of is where I fall down, I am weak and feeble, but I'm kinda relying on my stubbornness to see me through

over a year ago

I went cold turkey in 2008 after a 5 day stint in hospital after being diagnosed with malignant hypertension. I stopped the day I was admitted and never smoked again. I stopped thinking I was giving up a pleasure and thought about it as stopping something that was killing me and imagined living without the debilitating effects of a smoker’s cough, better cardiac fitness and lower blood pressure. It worked. The cravings were minimal and I never felt the inclination to smoke again. It was like I’d flicked a switch. Instead of being an expert in giving up and starting again, I stopped and swore I’d never smoke again. I haven’t and love being a non-smoker.

I’ve also lost weight, got in the gym, become fitter and healthier than I had been since my early 20s and reversed the left ventricular hypertrophy that 10 years of high blood pressure had caused.

Just Stop It!

I wish you the very best in stopping for good.

over a year ago

Well today has been a testing day and reminded me why I smoked so much also reminded me why I dont like people too, but I'm home not with my feet up and still smoke free

over a year ago

*Home now

over a year ago

The first 3 days are the hardest I’d say. After that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. Once you’ve done that you should be ok.

Good luck to you

over a year ago

"Well today has been a testing day and reminded me why I smoked so much also reminded me why I dont like people too, but I'm home not with my feet up and still smoke free "

Well done. Keep going. One day at a time

over a year ago

"Well today has been a testing day and reminded me why I smoked so much also reminded me why I dont like people too, but I'm home not with my feet up and still smoke free

Well done. Keep going. One day at a time "

I'm going to nail it this time, I'm in a good place mentally this time

over a year ago

My smokefree app has just informed me that I've done 5 days

Happy panda. I like that app it's like a daily pat on the back

Post new Message to Thread