FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

They are going to stop culling badgers, YAY!!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

They are going to vaccinate the cattle instead. Badgers are so lovely, this is great news

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"They are going to vaccinate the cattle instead. Badgers are so lovely, this is great news"

From someone thats family are farmers & farms now and again this is great news. Weve been vac'ing cattle rather than badger culling

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/03/20 15:30:43]

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I've only ever seen a badger once and I couldn't believe how large it was. They look about the size of a chihuahua on telly. The one I saw was more like the size of a spaniel.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"They are going to vaccinate the cattle instead. Badgers are so lovely, this is great news"

A long time overdue!

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

Not what it would seem. The devil is in the detail.

"The government will also begin an exit strategy from the intensive culling of badgers, while ensuring that wildlife control remains a tool that can be deployed where the epidemiological evidence supports it. As soon as possible, we intend to pilot government-funded badger vaccination in at least one area where the four-year cull cycle has concluded, with simultaneous surveillance of disease.

Our aim is to identify an exit strategy from culling in those areas that have completed the four years of intensive culling by deploying vaccination to the remaining badger population.

While the government must retain the ability to introduce new cull zones where the disease is rife, our aim will be to allow future badger culls only where the epidemiological evidence points to a significant reservoir of the disease in badgers. We envisage that any remaining areas would join the current cull programme in the next few years and that the badger cull phase of the strategy would then wind down by the mid to late 2020s, although we would need to retain the ability to cull in a targeted way where the epidemiological evidence requires it."

By *raceytvcdTV/TS
over a year ago

mansfield

Sadly though this will lead to more road casualties as they roam for territory's

over a year ago

Yay

They do smell though

#JustSaying

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

Oh that's great news!

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Great stuff

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"I've only ever seen a badger once and I couldn't believe how large it was. They look about the size of a chihuahua on telly. The one I saw was more like the size of a spaniel. "

I was quite shocked likewise when I first saw one; More like a very small bear (and it lumbered off much like one to!)

over a year ago

best news ever for badgers. I follow mr lumpy on Facebook and love seeing him and his friends visiting

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

The government have realised that they fucked up. They've wasted loads of money on something that was proven to not work instead of doing the thing that was proven to work.

Roll on 5 years and now they're trying to step back gracefully from it.

Well, better late than never I say.

I've not read the news about this but someone mentioned vaccinating cattle. Is this a good thing that's come from Brexit?

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"Sadly though this will lead to more road casualties as they roam for territory's "

And more songbirds and other wildlife continuing to be decimated. They aren`t the fluffy, cuddly and totally blameless things that most people think they are!

By *iddlesticksMan
over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

I think badgers would be better served by being taught how to cross the road.

They could then perhaps teach the pheasants too.

over a year ago

So I won’t be able to wear my badger skin jacket?!

over a year ago

"Sadly though this will lead to more road casualties as they roam for territory's

And more songbirds and other wildlife continuing to be decimated. They aren`t the fluffy, cuddly and totally blameless things that most people think they are!

"

They are quite blameless.

To be fair.

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

"Sadly though this will lead to more road casualties as they roam for territory's

"

Badgers don't eat song birds, as a rule. They eat worms and berries mainly.

By *na WintersTV/TS
over a year ago

woodford halse

"

Unfortunately, that's called nature.

You'd rather we needlessly murder 1 species of animal so that it doesn't eat others?

By *na WintersTV/TS
over a year ago

woodford halse

Badgers don't eat song birds, as a rule. They eat worms and berries mainly."

Not strictly true, they've been known to eat all sorts.

By *pforfun1234562016Couple
over a year ago

leamington spa

Most badgers at side off roads havnt been killed by vehcles bastard baiters do it

over a year ago

Have they now got another target in sight,of the Corana virus type

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Not strictly true, they've been known to eat all sorts."

The words "as a rule" were key in my statement. They will eat eggs and carrion if they find it on their travels but up to 90% of their diet is earthworms.

over a year ago

The words "as a rule" were key in my statement. They will eat eggs and carrion if they find it on their travels but up to 90% of their diet is earthworms."

Very true _mber, they keep foces at bay which is great for our farm life. They arnt pests at all, and as for eating song birds... very very rarely theyre lazy animals they eat whats infront/they come across, animals live in a "dog eat dog world' its a natural cycle

over a year ago

Finally, the logical answer.

How long did it take them, and how much of our tax money, did it take them to figure it out?

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Bodger will be pleased, and it's good news for the mashed potato industry.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Great, more badgers on the road.

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

The words "as a rule" were key in my statement. They will eat eggs and carrion if they find it on their travels but up to 90% of their diet is earthworms.

Very true _mber, they keep foces at bay which is great for our farm life. They arnt pests at all, and as for eating song birds... very very rarely theyre lazy animals they eat whats infront/they come across, animals live in a "dog eat dog world' its a natural cycle "

over a year ago

"Great, more badgers on the road. "

You can eat them

over a year ago

Badgers don't eat song birds, as a rule. They eat worms and berries mainly."

They do eat hedgehogs though

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Does the vaccination end up passed down the food chain ?

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

They do eat hedgehogs though "

Again, not really. There is plenty of evidence that shows that badgers and hedgehogs live side by side very well, sharing food sources with no issue.

over a year ago

Again, not really. There is plenty of evidence that shows that badgers and hedgehogs live side by side very well, sharing food sources with no issue."

Yes really, they’re a natural predator to hedgehogs.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

They are trialling a new reaction test for the cattle, as they couldn't differentiate between tb positive and bcg vaccinated cattle, also trialling that the badgers are going to be vaccinated as well, a good step forward hope it works for both sides

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Again, not really. There is plenty of evidence that shows that badgers and hedgehogs live side by side very well, sharing food sources with no issue.

Yes really, they’re a natural predator to hedgehogs.

"

As stated before. Hedgehogs aren't really on their preferred food list. They're opportunists, if they are hungry and find a weak hedgehog they may well have a go. But, as a rule, they don't bother. This is quite well documented.

A badger's diet is 90 % earthworms.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

We eat the cattle.

I’m pleased for the badgers

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Again, not really. There is plenty of evidence that shows that badgers and hedgehogs live side by side very well, sharing food sources with no issue."

I live next door to open fields and woodland. They come through my paddock and kill hedgehogs directly under my window. They favour flipping them upside down and tearing them out of their skin. Leaving me with an almighty mess to clean up before.

I love watching Badgers play in the very early hours while they hoover my lawn of worms but they are not soft and cuddly for sure.

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

I live next door to open fields and woodland. They come through my paddock and kill hedgehogs directly under my window. They favour flipping them upside down and tearing them out of their skin. Leaving me with an almighty mess to clean up before.

I love watching Badgers play in the very early hours while they hoover my lawn of worms but they are not soft and cuddly for sure. "

They're not soft and cuddly. They're apex predators.

I'm sad for your hedgehogs. Sounds like your badger clan have developed a taste and technique.

But, it's nature. That's what wild animals do.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I love watching Badgers play in the very early hours while they hoover my lawn of worms but they are not soft and cuddly for sure.

I'm sad for your hedgehogs. Sounds like your badger clan have developed a taste and technique.

But, it's nature. That's what wild animals do."

I don’t disagree. I’m surrounded by the circle of life. Only things I tend to deter in my garden is when magpies come along my hedgerows and strip them of hatched nesting birds. Then I tend to intervene.

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

But, it's nature. That's what wild animals do.

I don’t disagree. I’m surrounded by the circle of life. Only things I tend to deter in my garden is when magpies come along my hedgerows and strip them of hatched nesting birds. Then I tend to intervene. "

I'd probably intervene then too with some arm waving. Problem is we (humans) have shifted everything out of line in terms of ecology and balance.

Your garden sounds fantastic. I'm jealous.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well I am glad Bertie Badger can live in peace besides his neighbour, Ermintrude the cow.

I thought that pasteurised milk was safe to drink but unpasteurised carried a risk of transmitting bovine TB to humans. Not sure but that's what I have read. Shame because apart from that risk, unpasteurised milk has health benefits

By *raceytvcdTV/TS
over a year ago

mansfield

"Well I am glad Bertie Badger can live in peace besides his neighbour, Ermintrude the cow.

I thought that pasteurised milk was safe to drink but unpasteurised carried a risk of transmitting bovine TB to humans. Not sure but that's what I have read. Shame because apart from that risk, unpasteurised milk has health benefits

"

they will dig young kits out of their nests ,once found a Jenny Owens nest at the bottom of a decaying tree,2days later the nest was pulled out claw Mark's all over,probably Brock ?

By *raceytvcdTV/TS
over a year ago

mansfield

"Well I am glad Bertie Badger can live in peace besides his neighbour, Ermintrude the cow.

they will dig young kits out of their nests ,once found a Jenny Owens nest at the bottom of a decaying tree,2days later the nest was pulled out claw Mark's all over,probably Brock ?"

Jenny Wren that is lol

Post new Message to Thread