Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Who actually gives a

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Fuck about COVID-19.

I never thought I would make a post about it but I may aswell jump on the bandwagon. Aaannnd I'm genuinely interested.

It is hardly world ending so why has it caught the worlds attention?

Is the number of deaths scary simply because it can affect us (unlike hunger, civil war ect)?

Is it being sensationalised? Is it an excuse to be more wary of others in the current political climate? Do people genuinely fear the repercussions the virus may have?

Some ideas to get the cogs turning.

What do you think? Explore the human psyche as you see fit (except maybe take a more academic approach to it).

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

As Public Enemy said "Dont believe the hype"

over a year ago

Er because there hasn’t been an illness that has the same potential to harm people and the global economy, which could lead to civil unrest in multiple counties, in one hundred years?

over a year ago

"As Public Enemy said "Dont believe the hype" "

I’m “harder than you think”

over a year ago

"Er because there hasn’t been an illness that has the same potential to harm people and the global economy, which could lead to civil unrest in multiple counties, in one hundred years? "

*whispers* the Spanish Flu.

over a year ago

Depends, if you have elderly or immuno suppressed relatives, then it's worrying. The most worrying aspect for most of us will be economic. It could finish a lot of small to medium businesses if it goes worst case scenario.

By *exy4youxxWoman
over a year ago

Pontefract

It's still life threatening and at the rate its spreading yes it's scary and a potential risk so yes we should all be worried and try stop it spreading more by listening to advice... xx

over a year ago

"Er because there hasn’t been an illness that has the same potential to harm people and the global economy, which could lead to civil unrest in multiple counties, in one hundred years?

*whispers* the Spanish Flu.

"

Yeah that’s my point

over a year ago

"Depends, if you have elderly or immuno suppressed relatives, then it's worrying. The most worrying aspect for most of us will be economic. It could finish a lot of small to medium businesses if it goes worst case scenario."

So from an economical perspective, the effect on local businesses are the ones who could suffer. Probably due to the lack of income to cover overheads during a purchase slump.

Do you think it will get that far? If so, do you think it will artificially be sped up by the fear of the general population?

over a year ago

I’ll worry about it if I get it until then i don’t need to change the way i live.

Why waste time worrying about something that may never happen!

over a year ago

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Maybe take a look at this. You might not be worried but figures make it all a bit more realistic.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I almost want to catch it already to get it out the way.

I say that but I’m extremely unlucky so would probably end up making part of the bad percentage up.

over a year ago

"Depends, if you have elderly or immuno suppressed relatives, then it's worrying. The most worrying aspect for most of us will be economic. It could finish a lot of small to medium businesses if it goes worst case scenario.

So from an economical perspective, the effect on local businesses are the ones who could suffer. Probably due to the lack of income to cover overheads during a purchase slump.

Do you think it will get that far? If so, do you think it will artificially be sped up by the fear of the general population?"

Look what it's gonna do to the Italian economy.....be a good indication

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I certainly beleive it will hit, maybe kill some unfortunate folk.

Will put added strain on the NHS and is another concern to add to all the others.

I'm not one for worrying about stuff out of my control but am aware..how can one not be!

..I don't necessarily believe in the hype and I'll worry about it if and when it impacts me and mine.

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

"Er because there hasn’t been an illness that has the same potential to harm people and the global economy, which could lead to civil unrest in multiple counties, in one hundred years? "

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

We were saying earlier while we were raiding shelves in the supermarket that with other viruses we've never felt the need to get a stash in like we do this time. Why is that?

More media coverage perhaps?

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Depends, if you have elderly or immuno suppressed relatives, then it's worrying. The most worrying aspect for most of us will be economic. It could finish a lot of small to medium businesses if it goes worst case scenario.

Do you think it will get that far? If so, do you think it will artificially be sped up by the fear of the general population?"

I think irrational fear and overreaction are the biggest dangers.

Yes, Corvid-19 can be lethal but the vast majority of people who catch it have very mild symptoms.

It isn't a flu but is a virus, so some people are better able to fight it.

Not sure why this is causing such a panic, given that flu is far more prevalent and a much bigger killer. Is it the media and social media?

over a year ago

"Er because there hasn’t been an illness that has the same potential to harm people and the global economy, which could lead to civil unrest in multiple counties, in one hundred years?

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless "

This virus has already surpassed all those in its transmission through the world...

By *abasaurus RexMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

It happens every year. It’s called the flu.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Apparenly

On average if the death rate is at 2% then we will all know two people who will die. Could be the postman but it could be a close or distant relative..

Wake Up Wake Up Peoples

over a year ago

Do you think it will get that far? If so, do you think it will artificially be sped up by the fear of the general population?

Yes, Corvid-19 can be lethal but the vast majority of people who catch it have very mild symptoms.

Not sure why this is causing such a panic, given that flu is far more prevalent and a much bigger killer. Is it the media and social media?"

Covid19 has been estimated to have double the mortality rate of flu eg 1% vs 2%

And the flu has been circulating long enough that some of the population has immunity.

This is a novel virus that appears to be effectively infecting the global population. So it’s a big deal if it kills 2% of a huge number of people in a short span of time eg months.

I agree that we shouldn’t be fear mongering and keep calm and carry on will help damage limitation. But it seems apparent there will be significant damage. It’s not just the media who are concerned. The WHO and medical community are very concerned.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

This virus has already surpassed all those in its transmission through the world..."

No, it hasn't..

Spanish flu is estimated to have infected over a quarter of the world's population at the time.

They also lacked vaccines and 21st century medicine.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It happens every year. It’s called the flu. "

Of course for flu we cancel rugby internationals,

By *abasaurus RexMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Apparenly

On average if the death rate is at 2% then we will all know two people who will die. Could be the postman but it could be a close or distant relative..

Wake Up Wake Up Peoples"

No thanks. Please stop with the wake up stuff as if everyone else is uninformed and you have some vision the rest of us don’t.

over a year ago

It happens every year. It’s called the flu. "

I’m sorry but this comparison to the flu is ill informed and unhelpful. It’s well documented now that this is different to the flu. More deadly. Totally new, no herd immunity. No longer contained and clearly infecting most of the global population at an impressive rate.

over a year ago

"

It was actually cancelled because of the poor entertainment value.

over a year ago

"We were saying earlier while we were raiding shelves in the supermarket that with other viruses we've never felt the need to get a stash in like we do this time. Why is that?

More media coverage perhaps?"

I was just thinking about that really. The Spanish flu is largely ignored. Partly due to the lack of media coverage. It coincided with the end of the First World War and thus fatalities were occurring in parallel to other, more well known diseases such as Cholera. Therefore the reaction, either out of lack of attention or simply the inability too, was relatively non-existent.

In hindsight, the scale of death was shocking (between 17 and 100 million) and yet here we are today, over 100 years since the start of the outbreak.

Why do we feel the need to raid the supermarket? What brings out the inner prepper?

over a year ago

Tom, remember the bit about patronising people....

over a year ago

"Apparenly

Wake Up Wake Up Peoples"

Er. You're wrong.

By that reckoning EVERYONE will get it. EVERYONE.

By *abasaurus RexMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I’m sorry but this comparison to the flu is ill informed and unhelpful. It’s well documented now that this is different to the flu. More deadly. Totally new, no herd immunity. No longer contained and clearly infecting most of the global population at an impressive rate."

At which point did you see me draw a direct comparison outside of the fact that the flu routinely kills people every single year in large numbers!

It is not unhelpful nor uniformed. The 2% is an estimate based on extrapolation of a relatively (in global terms) small dataset with many assumptions, Unknown’s and caveats.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It was actually cancelled because of the poor entertainment value. "

over a year ago

And in response to the OP I'm honestly not bothered yet. I think that, if you take away all the coverage on social media (as every single news source I follow on Facebook is talking about it constantly) there would be a hell of a lot less panic as that's what it is. I work in a job where I could catch ten people's different germs in one go by just collecting glasses.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

This virus has already surpassed all those in its transmission through the world...

No, it hasn't..

Spanish flu is estimated to have infected over a quarter of the world's population at the time.

They also lacked vaccines and 21st century medicine. "

We have no vaccination and many countries do not have a widespread health system.. ours won't cope imo

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Tom, remember the bit about patronising people...."

Are you following me around...it's like having a parrot on my shoulder..

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

No, it hasn't..

We have no vaccination and many countries do not have a widespread health system.. ours won't cope imo"

We don't have a vaccine yet. There are labs testing them already though.

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

"Apparenly

Wake Up Wake Up Peoples"

Want do you want us to do ? Personally, I am just continuing as normal.

By *abasaurus RexMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I think there’s a lot of people who just get excited and let their minds run away with things personally. Whether they get a kick out of stirring the pot/trying to unnecessarily scare people, I don’t know. The cynic in me says yes. The media will always stir as much as possible to get people to consume their content. It’s how they make money after all.

The government will to a certain degree act in response to public sentiment I think - even if only to paying lip service - with a view to keeping opinion polls up.

over a year ago

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

No, it hasn't..

We have no vaccination and many countries do not have a widespread health system.. ours won't cope imo"

Sorry I didn’t mean to include Spanish flu. I made reference to that in my first reply..

over a year ago

Not sure why this is causing such a panic, given that flu is far more prevalent and a much bigger killer. Is it the media and social media?

And the flu has been circulating long enough that some of the population has immunity.

This is a novel virus that appears to be effectively infecting the global population. So it’s a big deal if it kills 2% of a huge number of people in a short span of time eg months.

I agree that we shouldn’t be fear mongering and keep calm and carry on will help damage limitation. But it seems apparent there will be significant damage. It’s not just the media who are concerned. The WHO and medical community are very concerned."

Yes, but let us break down the numbers further. If the 2% is spread out randomly, yes the fallout will be significant but wil most likely a blip in the history of humanity.

However the death rate is skewed to the elderly and ill. From a purely rational perspective, the fallout will be minimal due to the nature of the workforce spread (by age).

It is nearly impossible to format the data quickly on the forum but research the spread of death by age groups.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

No, it hasn't..

We have no vaccination and many countries do not have a widespread health system.. ours won't cope imo

Sorry I didn’t mean to include Spanish flu. I made reference to that in my first reply.."

I agree with the others. They turned out to be far less of an issue than the media hype.

over a year ago

Number of deaths ain't that scary 3,200 dead 90,000 infections 55,000 already recovered not that bad if you are unlucky enough to get it chances are it will be mild

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I agree that we shouldn’t be fear mongering and keep calm and carry on will help damage limitation. But it seems apparent there will be significant damage. It’s not just the media who are concerned. The WHO and medical community are very concerned.

Yes, but let us break down the numbers further. If the 2% is spread out randomly, yes the fallout will be significant but wil most likely a blip in the history of humanity.

However the death rate is skewed to the elderly and ill. From a purely rational perspective, the fallout will be minimal due to the nature of the workforce spread (by age).

It is nearly impossible to format the data quickly on the forum but research the spread of death by age groups.

"

The biggest actual impact from a workforce point of view, will probably be the NHS.

over a year ago

"Tom, remember the bit about patronising people....

"

I actually commented on this thread first then surprise surprise, you pop up telling people to 'wake up' again..... patronising people yet again!!!!!

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I actually commented on this thread first then surprise surprise, you pop up telling people to 'wake up' again..... patronising people yet again!!!!!"

I will accept your label...I am a patroniser ..I take ownership of that ..

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I actually commented on this thread first then surprise surprise, you pop up telling people to 'wake up' again..... patronising people yet again!!!!!

I will accept your label...I am a patroniser ..I take ownership of that .. "

Let the debate continue

over a year ago

To some it brings a whole new reality to the term "coffin dodger"...

over a year ago

I actually commented on this thread first then surprise surprise, you pop up telling people to 'wake up' again..... patronising people yet again!!!!!"

Nip this in the bud please. I dont want it to get personal. It takes away from the thread and its purpose.

I'm trying to keep it as sober and pragmatic as possible.

over a year ago

If you have a significant proportion of the population of one country (never mind multiple countries throughout the world) hospitalised all at once, it will have huge ramifications for NHS, provision of healthcare in general, closures of GPs, cancellations of any non urgent procedure, redirection of police, school closures, and loss of economic productivity.

This virus can have an impact much larger than the seasonal flu.

I don’t think we should panic. I do think the media are encouraging panic (when don’t they?) but I also think that people should be taking this seriously.

I guess we will see where we are in a couple months .... I hope it is all a massive over reaction.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"To some it brings a whole new reality to the term "coffin dodger"..."

I am a salad dodger..

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

This virus has already surpassed all those in its transmission through the world..."

We don't actually know how bad it is though. The mortality rate quoted of 2% is based on confirmed cases and it is known that many people show little or no symptoms so the actual truth is we have no idea how many people have had the disease nor what percentage die from it, anymore than we do normal seasonal flu. Some years flu kills many tens of thousands, other years far less.

Road deaths world wide are well over 1 million/year, over a million people die every year from mosquitoes transmitted diseases. Some statistics say that nearly 3 million people die each year from diseases caused by obesity - certainly more people die from being over-weight than underweight. The point of these numbers is that there are many many ways to die in this world, Corona (at present) is just one of many other mass killers - it's scary because the media ram it in our face and because we believe it could affect us. We've learnt to switch off to things like malaria (only happens to poor foreigners), road deaths (won't happen to me I'm a good driver and look where I'm going) obesity/smoking related diseases (yeah I know they kill people but I feel fine, no need for me to change my behaviour). We just need to learn to stop panicking over everything the news demands we be scared of.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Nip this in the bud please. I dont want it to get personal. It takes away from the thread and its purpose.

I'm trying to keep it as sober and pragmatic as possible."

Your thread OP. I am.out of here

over a year ago

I'm trying to keep it as sober and pragmatic as possible."

Telling people to 'wake up' is just downright patronising..... especially after the umpteenth time.

over a year ago

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

We don't actually know how bad it is though. The mortality rate quoted of 2% is based on confirmed cases and it is known that many people show little or no symptoms so the actual truth is we have no idea how many people have had the disease nor what percentage die from it, anymore than we do normal seasonal flu. Some years flu kills many tens of thousands, other years far less.

Road deaths world wide are well over 1 million/year, over a million people die every year from mosquitoes transmitted diseases. Some statistics say that nearly 3 million people die each year from diseases caused by obesity - certainly more people die from being over-weight than underweight. The point of these numbers is that there are many many ways to die in this world, Corona (at present) is just one of many other mass killers - it's scary because the media ram it in our face and because we believe it could affect us. We've learnt to switch off to things like malaria (only happens to poor foreigners), road deaths (won't happen to me I'm a good driver and look where I'm going) obesity/smoking related diseases (yeah I know they kill people but I feel fine, no need for me to change my behaviour). We just need to learn to stop panicking over everything the news demands we be scared of."

So the experts are saying you will be ok as long as you dont have any underlying illnesses. Some do...

over a year ago

Don't worry about what you can't control.

over a year ago

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

Road deaths world wide are well over 1 million/year, over a million people die every year from mosquitoes transmitted diseases. Some statistics say that nearly 3 million people die each year from diseases caused by obesity - certainly more people die from being over-weight than underweight. The point of these numbers is that there are many many ways to die in this world, Corona (at present) is just one of many other mass killers - it's scary because the media ram it in our face and because we believe it could affect us. We've learnt to switch off to things like malaria (only happens to poor foreigners), road deaths (won't happen to me I'm a good driver and look where I'm going) obesity/smoking related diseases (yeah I know they kill people but I feel fine, no need for me to change my behaviour). We just need to learn to stop panicking over everything the news demands we be scared of."

All road crashes in a year don’t happen all within a short space of time, affecting multiple countries simultaneously, requiring weeks of ventilators support for the serious cases, and they don’t put a stop to public gatherings, transport....

It is the potential for sudden overwhelming morbidity within multiple worldwide populations.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I will be very happy if it's not as bad as the media hype. I don't know the stats, but I do know some members of my family are not the fittest, this is my major concern.

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

I’m getting totally fed up of hearing about it !!!

What will be will be !!!

I’ll just carry on as normal

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I'm still more worried about others reactions to the threat of the virus than the virus itself.

Like I've done a little bit of extra shopping... I've got extra toilet rolls... uht milk... big bag of pasta and rice.. but above that I've not really done much.. but all of that is in response to panic buying I've seen both abroad in the past 2 weeks and at home.

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I’m getting totally fed up of hearing about it !!!

What will be will be !!!

I’ll just carry on as normal "

This

over a year ago

Swansea

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

Road deaths world wide are well over 1 million/year, over a million people die every year from mosquitoes transmitted diseases. Some statistics say that nearly 3 million people die each year from diseases caused by obesity - certainly more people die from being over-weight than underweight. The point of these numbers is that there are many many ways to die in this world, Corona (at present) is just one of many other mass killers - it's scary because the media ram it in our face and because we believe it could affect us. We've learnt to switch off to things like malaria (only happens to poor foreigners), road deaths (won't happen to me I'm a good driver and look where I'm going) obesity/smoking related diseases (yeah I know they kill people but I feel fine, no need for me to change my behaviour). We just need to learn to stop panicking over everything the news demands we be scared of.

All road crashes in a year don’t happen all within a short space of time, affecting multiple countries simultaneously, requiring weeks of ventilators support for the serious cases, and they don’t put a stop to public gatherings, transport....

It is the potential for sudden overwhelming morbidity within multiple worldwide populations."

Well, they do. Road deaths occur in every country all the time. If we ignore deaths and assume that those unfortunate people all die at the side if the road without taking up hospital time, we still have an even worse statistic. 20 to 50 million people suffer injuries that require hospital treatment. That's half a million to a million injuries that require hospital admissions worldwide every week. This virus has absolutely nothing like that level of impact. Road accidents cost approximately 3% of GDP worldwide and are the leading cause of death in children and young adults. Every one of those deaths is just a big a personal tragedy as any caused by Corona.

I'm not saying Corona isn't a problem, nor do we have the faintest idea how big a problem it will/won't become. What I am saying is the panic over it has absolutely no effect on its spread whilst simultaneously ramping up the adverse psychological and economical effects.

The simple fact is convincing the 30% of obese adults in this country to lose weight, the 4% of adults who drink a dangerous amounts of alcohol to stop drinking or the 15% of smokers to stop smoking would save many many times more lives than convincing them all to wear face masks. It would free up all the hospital beds needed for virus sufferers but no, let's go and buy a mask. It's much easier to believe in a simple easy to carry out 'cure' than make significant life changes even if the experts tell us the one is ineffectual while the other will almost certainly improve our chances of living into old age.

over a year ago

So I was in the chemist and I said to the assistant

“What gets rid of coronavirus?”

She said "Ammonia cleaner."

I said "Oh sorry, I thought you worked here...”

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

"So I was in the chemist and I said to the assistant

I said "Oh sorry, I thought you worked here...”"

over a year ago

I think the biggest worry for the world is because it's a zoonamic flu it has the potential to mutate very quickly. We have understandings about it but don't know enough about it to create a vaccine or failsafe anti viral. NHS wouldn't spend on average 30k per trust to create testing pods if it was not a ongoing concern.

But on the same note you need to live your life, regular handwashing that people should do anyway and protect yourself and others If you get symptoms

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"

Thank god you wrote this. My boss told me it today and I didn’t get it. It’s bugged me for 12 hours.

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

Ha ha ha , yes sometimes only when their written down you understand them

Thank god you wrote this. My boss told me it today and I didn’t get it. It’s bugged me for 12 hours. "

over a year ago

Thank god you wrote this. My boss told me it today and I didn’t get it. It’s bugged me for 12 hours. "

Always happy to help

over a year ago

Swansea

" NHS wouldn't spend on average 30k per trust to create testing pods if it was not a ongoing concern.

"

Personally I never take the amount of money government departments spend as any indication of how important something is - it only ever indicates how important they think it is to be seen to be doing something.

We can find billions for anti terrorism which causes a few deaths a year but try finding money for mental health or domestic violence that kill hundreds ....

over a year ago

As a fit, not so old person that this actually would kill absolutely as have an underlying condition ... I don't understand the all out full scale panic tbh. The impact this would have on my business which I would be more worried about as I couldn't afford to live if this became a local threat meaning I quite literally wouldn't be able to leave my house or see anyone "just in case" But I'll cross that bridge if it occurs ... worry or panic is worth diddly squat and won't change a thing!

over a year ago

More people have probably been run over by a buffalo than this virus

over a year ago

To be honest non of the cool kids are bothered about it so I'll probably wait for COVID20 to be released and then get 19 cex

over a year ago

"To be honest non of the cool kids are bothered about it so I'll probably wait for COVID20 to be released and then get 19 from cex "

over a year ago

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

It is the potential for sudden overwhelming morbidity within multiple worldwide populations.

Well, they do. Road deaths occur in every country all the time. If we ignore deaths and assume that those unfortunate people all die at the side if the road without taking up hospital time, we still have an even worse statistic. 20 to 50 million people suffer injuries that require hospital treatment. That's half a million to a million injuries that require hospital admissions worldwide every week. This virus has absolutely nothing like that level of impact. Road accidents cost approximately 3% of GDP worldwide and are the leading cause of death in children and young adults. Every one of those deaths is just a big a personal tragedy as any caused by Corona.

I'm not saying Corona isn't a problem, nor do we have the faintest idea how big a problem it will/won't become. What I am saying is the panic over it has absolutely no effect on its spread whilst simultaneously ramping up the adverse psychological and economical effects.

The simple fact is convincing the 30% of obese adults in this country to lose weight, the 4% of adults who drink a dangerous amounts of alcohol to stop drinking or the 15% of smokers to stop smoking would save many many times more lives than convincing them all to wear face masks. It would free up all the hospital beds needed for virus sufferers but no, let's go and buy a mask. It's much easier to believe in a simple easy to carry out 'cure' than make significant life changes even if the experts tell us the one is ineffectual while the other will almost certainly improve our chances of living into old age. "

No one is going to sort their obesity problem in time to free up beds for this pandemic.

And the world is equipped for car crashes. My point is there will be a sudden spike in population morbidity.

China struggled... we think other countries won’t?

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"As a fit, not so old person that this actually would kill absolutely as have an underlying condition ... I don't understand the all out full scale panic tbh. The impact this would have on my business which I would be more worried about as I couldn't afford to live if this became a local threat meaning I quite literally wouldn't be able to leave my house or see anyone "just in case" But I'll cross that bridge if it occurs ... worry or panic is worth diddly squat and won't change a thing! "

I thought about the possible consequences of this where I work and it would be a sad state of affairs if it hit them. I'm not worrying about it for now and hopefully it doesn't come to it.

over a year ago

Personally for me, the only thing that worries me is the nature of the virus.

COVID-19 is zoonotic meaning it species jumped. This coupled with it's high transmission rate highlights how successful the virus is at mutating.

Simply, this means a viable vaccine will take far longer to produce as it will have to work across all potential strains.

As a result, the extended time between vaccine distribution and now will lead to a larger chance of unrest across global sectors which, in turn, will lead to a longer normalisation period.

We probably wont feel the effects though as they will be on the macro scale rather than micro. This is where curiosity gets me. I think the best way to describe it would be through the eyes of a history class 100 years from now working on a "what if" scenario.

In layman's terms, I am not worried. Simply curious. However, I would prefer it if it was taken more seriously in a pragmatic sense.

over a year ago

Thank god you wrote this. My boss told me it today and I didn’t get it. It’s bugged me for 12 hours.

Always happy to help "

Ok. Not scare mongering but...

The worst case scenario is 80% infection (govt figure). Even with a 1% mortality rate, that would result in roughly half a million UK deaths.

With just 40% infection that's still 250,000 dead. That's a lot of bodies.

WHO have put the mortality rate at about 3.4%.

That's possibly one reason why it seems to be being taken seriously by the people out there who seem to know what they are talking a out?

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Personally for me, the only thing that worries me is the nature of the virus.

COVID-19 is zoonotic meaning it species jumped. This coupled with it's high transmission rate highlights how successful the virus is at mutating.

Simply, this means a viable vaccine will take far longer to produce as it will have to work across all potential strains.

As a result, the extended time between vaccine distribution and now will lead to a larger chance of unrest across global sectors which, in turn, will lead to a longer normalisation period.

We probably wont feel the effects though as they will be on the macro scale rather than micro. This is where curiosity gets me. I think the best way to describe it would be through the eyes of a history class 100 years from now working on a "what if" scenario.

In layman's terms, I am not worried. Simply curious. However, I would prefer it if it was taken more seriously in a pragmatic sense."

To be fair, genetic analysis of COVID-19 samples taken before Christmas and then several times since from different parts of the world have shown exceptionally small levels of mutation. The current theory is that it isn't mutating particularly rapidly. They've also found significant similarity in the surface proteins of this virus as the coronavirus that caused SARS. There were drugs being developed against SARS but didn't get finished because the virus seemed to burn itself out. They are looking at making use of the drug development done for SARS to try and target COVID-19. Wouldn't be a cure (we can't cure any viral illnesses really) but would certainly slow down viral replicating and likely reduce the duration and severity of symptoms.

By *ayabandonTV/TS
over a year ago

Exeter

Covid 19 is now a Notifiable Disease ,so knowingly sharing it makes the sufferer culpable ~ something to bear in mind if you're determined to attend a social/group meet ,but you're feeling a bit iffy~ you'll probably be in the first fortnight when you have it but don't know you have it...

over a year ago

The only reason it worries me is I have a respiratory illness and it’s noted it affects those with this badly ...

The economy is going to suffer so bad aswell

over a year ago

Given the nature of my job (that I will not disclose publicly on fab)

I come into close contact on a daily basis with the backbone of our beloved NHS, the people on the front lines the docs and nurses etc, and given that they are supposedly the ones "in the know" I can tell you this much... they aren't overly concerned about it just yet, now dont misinterpret what I'm saying they know it has the potential to be very serious but everyone I've spoken to have all pretty much said that there is a media over reaction to it. So until I see them panicking I'm just going to carry on regardless.

That being said, I do think it is best that we all take extra precautions to protect ourselves, that's why I'm adding this phrase to my profile "I will not meet anyone who has potentially contracted Corona virus, not being prejudice, just my preference"

over a year ago

Always happy to help

Ok. Not scare mongering but...

The worst case scenario is 80% infection (govt figure). Even with a 1% mortality rate, that would result in roughly half a million UK deaths.

With just 40% infection that's still 250,000 dead. That's a lot of bodies.

WHO have put the mortality rate at about 3.4%.

That's possibly one reason why it seems to be being taken seriously by the people out there who seem to know what they are talking a out?

"

And to all them who quote the flu death rate. It is 0.095%....a drop in the ocean compared to the 3.4% that is expected from corona...

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Fuck about COVID-19.

I never thought I would make a post about it but I may aswell jump on the bandwagon. Aaannnd I'm genuinely interested.

Is the number of deaths scary simply because it can affect us (unlike hunger, civil war ect)?

Is it being sensationalised? Is it an excuse to be more wary of others in the current political climate? Do people genuinely fear the repercussions the virus may have?

What do you think? Explore the human psyche as you see fit (except maybe take a more academic approach to it)."

So why make a thread about it?

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Fuck about COVID-19.

What do you think? Explore the human psyche as you see fit (except maybe take a more academic approach to it).

So why make a thread about it?"

The OP happens to be an academically minded young gent who wished to have an intelligent debate about something that interests him. Why not?

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Fuck about COVID-19.

So why make a thread about it?

The OP happens to be an academically minded young gent who wished to have an intelligent debate about something that interests him. Why not? "

Just asking?

over a year ago

I work for the NHS and as it was said further up in a post. It is not a concern with medical staff. The media seem to be printing their own opinions and theorys on the matter. We had the same fear factor put amongst us with SARS and the H1N1 virus and they passed quicker than they became apparent.

By *orgeouslyyoursWoman
over a year ago

essex just looking around

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless "

The strange thing is people keep comparing it to flu

Its a type of viral pneumonia

Breathing coughing fever symptoms

Not sneezing aches and snotty noses

By *orgeouslyyoursWoman
over a year ago

essex just looking around

Hence why the elderly and those with weakened immune systems are more vulnerable...

87 uk cases compared to 465k std cases, 600k to 1m norovirus and the 500k plus flu victims a year in the UK doesn't make it plague level.

All the above can have devastating effects on the same groups of people.

Be hygienic and careful always not just for coronovirus

over a year ago

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

The strange thing is people keep comparing it to flu

Its a type of viral pneumonia

Breathing coughing fever symptoms

Not sneezing aches and snotty noses "

it is a respiratory virus but so was H1N1 and SARS which was a strain of Coronavirus. As with those people with conditions affecting the cardiovascular, cardiothoracic system and individuals who have immunosuppressive disorders are at high risk of severe complications.The media is scaremongering the general public whereas medical professionals within the NHS are not concerned as yet regarding this.

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

Unlike Ebola you mean?

Or Spanish flu?

Or Hong Kong flu?

Or bird flu?

The list is endless

No it hasn't. Where are you getting your information from?

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

The number of cases is not large yet. BUT it is currently increasing at an exponential rate. Every couple of days the number of new cases on this country doubles. Today there were 36 new cases reported. On Friday there will be something like 60 new cases. Next Monday over a 100 new cases. Next Wednesday 200. Next Friday 400. A week later about 3000 cases. Another week 25,000 cases. And continuing growing.

It takes something like 10 days before symptoms show, but corona seems to be contagious before the symptoms start, so there is a reasonable expectation that the 36 cases today have already infected a very high percentage of all the people they have met during the last week.

This is what an epidemic looks like in the early stages, and there is a high likelihood that unless the government takes drastic measures a major proportion of the population will be infected with three months.

China has managed to slow the increase by stopping travel, forbidding public gatherings etc. They haven't stopped it though, and the number of people infected is not reducing. It's just increasing more slowly.

I will be delighted if it proves that I'm wrong, and the current measures do contain the infection. In the mean time though, i won't panic. But i will avoid large crowds of people, i will avoid places where large numbers may pass through, and I'll try to avoid touching things that lots of people might have touched.

Post new Message to Thread