Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Genesis Reunion Tour

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I’ve just been on the O2 priority presale page for this - tickets for their Glasgow gig start from £68 to £186 - this includes a £10 service charge

How can these bands get away with this ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hloevtTV/TS
over a year ago

norwich

"I’ve just been on the O2 priority presale page for this - tickets for their Glasgow gig start from £68 to £186 - this includes a £10 service charge

How can these bands get away with this ? "

Get away with what ? Making shit music ? X

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

"I’ve just been on the O2 priority presale page for this - tickets for their Glasgow gig start from £68 to £186 - this includes a £10 service charge

I looked at celine Dione and she was £300 cheapest seat

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Get away with what ? Making shit music ? X "

Very much this.

T

By *heffmMan
over a year ago

sheffield

time to self quarantine I think

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Go see Steve Hackett instead. I've seen him a few times over the last twenty years, he always includes some of the classic Genesis material that he wrote amongst his more recent solo work. Several times he has performed specific "Genesis Revisited" concerts, if anything improving on the original albums. I get the impression that Steve tours because he still loves the music and the performing. And he's not shy about meeting the fans after the show.

Whereas i might be just cynical, but I can't help thinking that the new Genesis tour could be all about topping up their pension funds...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Without Peter Gabriel they're just a pop band..

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"Go see Steve Hackett instead. I've seen him a few times over the last twenty years, he always includes some of the classic Genesis material that he wrote amongst his more recent solo work. Several times he has performed specific "Genesis Revisited" concerts, if anything improving on the original albums. I get the impression that Steve tours because he still loves the music and the performing. And he's not shy about meeting the fans after the show.

Whereas i might be just cynical, but I can't help thinking that the new Genesis tour could be all about topping up their pension funds..."

I don’t think they need to worry about a pension. Phil Collins estimated worth - 203 million

over a year ago

"Without Peter Gabriel they're just a pop band.. "

I thought some of the early post Gabriel stuff was good but yes in the 80s it was just pop

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Concert tickets have shot up in price since I was young. My first concert (at the Wembley Arena 30 years ago) was £18. Now it's more like £70 as a starting price. Even adjusting for inflation that's a hefty hike.

It's pretty simple. If people pay it, tour organisers will charge it. That's how open markets work. There's no point in blaming bands. If you could get somebody to pay £100 for something would you really charge them £20? If anything blame the people who buy the tickets. If people didn't pay high prices they wouldn't get charged high prices.

Bear in mind Genesis put in a huge amount of money to put on shows. The staging, lighting and screening cost an absolute fortune. Moving it all around is hugely expensive. It wouldn't surprise me if the band members don't make nearly as much as you think. They already have stacks of money, but they still want to put on a good show.

In the old days, tours were to promote albums. The real money was seen to be in album sales so they wanted to get lots of people going to concerts. Keep the price affordable, get people through the door and hopefully people buy the album before or after. Nowadays, physical album sales are plummeting. Most is streamed or pirated which substantially drops income. The way to make money is through ticket sales for concerts so they will maximise it.

If they charged less than they could get (which they do) you just end up with a black market (which there is). People who have nothing to do with putting on the shows cream off a load of profit by buying low and inflating the price.

IMHO the real criminals are companies like Ticket master who monopolise ticket sales.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Without Peter Gabriel they're just a pop band..

I thought some of the early post Gabriel stuff was good but yes in the 80s it was just pop "

Agreed, just after they were still OK but then went too mainstream for myself..

over a year ago

I'm surprised they are getting back together considering Phil Collins health isn't good these days.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"I'm surprised they are getting back together considering Phil Collins health isn't good these days.

"

Maybe they're just in a Land of Confusion

over a year ago

Definitely going!

Those prices arnt bad tbh petshop boys tickets were £536 each. I managed to get a pair for slightly less of a friend that cant go.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Go see Steve Hackett instead. I've seen him a few times over the last twenty years, he always includes some of the classic Genesis material that he wrote amongst his more recent solo work. Several times he has performed specific "Genesis Revisited" concerts, if anything improving on the original albums. I get the impression that Steve tours because he still loves the music and the performing. And he's not shy about meeting the fans after the show.

Whereas i might be just cynical, but I can't help thinking that the new Genesis tour could be all about topping up their pension funds..."

He is playing Edinburgh and his YouTube concert clips look brilliant but his lead singer Nad Sylvan I think his name is - he’s a weird bloke

But I am going to see a brill Genesis tribute band called The Musical Box next February- they are playing The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in full

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Whereas i might be just cynical, but I can't help thinking that the new Genesis tour could be all about topping up their pension funds...

He is playing Edinburgh and his YouTube concert clips look brilliant but his lead singer Nad Sylvan I think his name is - he’s a weird bloke

But I am going to see a brill Genesis tribute band called The Musical Box next February- they are playing The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in full "

I saw Musical Box doing the Lamb a few years ago. Yes, very excellent.

By *ndy64hMan
over a year ago

Plymouth

If you really want to see them, you pay it, they will have no problems selling out their tour.

If everyone boycotted the first day they went on sale, it might send them a message.

By *uffymayfairCouple
over a year ago

vera playa, Almeria

Now I'd love to see Peter Gabriel in concert with genesis again, lived the watcher of the skies, lamb on Broadway etc era

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Did anybody try to get tickets? I just attempted it but they were sold out within an hour.

They are only doing two shows in London at the O2. That's a very low number of tickets compared with what they could sell. Maybe they will add more dates.

I'm guessing they didn't want to put on the huge stadium spectacle they have done in the past and an arena tour is less expense I've and less work, and that's fair enough.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I think they will add more dates. The market people will be testing the water. The trouble with today's music industry is that years ago the band's made their money out of LP sales and the your was there to promote the album. Now they make bugger all out of CD, downloads because of copying etc. They have to make their money out of touring.

over a year ago

I’ve got front row for the Manchester Arena. I thought I’d missed out and just as Ticketmaster crashed out I looked for other dates and a second date appeared I got straight in and got front row seats. I’m well chuffed.

My favourite band of all time even if they did lose their way a bit during the 80s. I still loved them and their poppy stuff was always a guilty pleasure. I was a Phil Collins fan as well so hardly surprising really.

Last time I saw them was 1980 in the Duke tour at Liverpool Empire, just after Liverpool won the League. Phil came on wearing Kenny Dalgish’s shirt. Kenny was just behind me in the audience with some of his Liverpool teammates. A fabulous night and I look forward to saying goodbye in what will likely be the last opportunity to see them.

over a year ago

Long time fan and when I was a teenager went to see them in Hammersmith and got myself on the road crew bus to next gig in Paris - played Collins kit at soundcheck- even had a genesis tribute band so very hard core - I’ll get to the point shall I? Completely agree .. try 350 quid a ticket for shit seats ! But let’s be honest Collins’s voice has gone now and because of so many injections to keep his voice going and his bones are shot as a result..sadly it will not be a good gig!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I won't go to concerts.

I like performers for their music not a birds eye view of their bald patches or a panoramic view of a stadium farrrrrrrrrrrr awayyyyyyyyy from the stage.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

"I’ve got front row for the Manchester Arena. I thought I’d missed out and just as Ticketmaster crashed out I looked for other dates and a second date appeared I got straight in and got front row seats. I’m well chuffed.

My favourite band of all time even if they did lose their way a bit during the 80s. I still loved them and their poppy stuff was always a guilty pleasure. I was a Phil Collins fan as well so hardly surprising really.

Last time I saw them was 1980 in the Duke tour at Liverpool Empire, just after Liverpool won the League. Phil came on wearing Kenny Dalgish’s shirt. Kenny was just behind me in the audience with some of his Liverpool teammates. A fabulous night and I look forward to saying goodbye in what will likely be the last opportunity to see them."

Lucky you! I hope you enjoy it.

over a year ago

"I’ve got front row for the Manchester Arena. I thought I’d missed out and just as Ticketmaster crashed out I looked for other dates and a second date appeared I got straight in and got front row seats. I’m well chuffed.

Last time I saw them was 1980 in the Duke tour at Liverpool Empire, just after Liverpool won the League. Phil came on wearing Kenny Dalgish’s shirt. Kenny was just behind me in the audience with some of his Liverpool teammates. A fabulous night and I look forward to saying goodbye in what will likely be the last opportunity to see them.

Lucky you! I hope you enjoy it. "

Thank you. I will

By *ust ClareTV/TS
over a year ago

Settlewick!

Concert ticket prices are shocking these days but as others have said,there's no money to be made on record sales.A band of Genesis stature should and would be expected to put on a good show which costs a lot of money to stage and travel around the continent.To compare, Madonna tickets were £500 so it's a bargain, relatively speaking.

I follow a band called British Sea Power, obviously not as big as the artists I've just mentioned but have had chart success,TV appearances,their music often turns up as background on all sorts of programs from Springwatch to drama via Nigel Slater cookery programs!

Why do I mention this? They are having to crowdfund recording their new album and average gig tickets cost £18 There is very little money to be made in the music business these days compared to how it used to be.The kids just don't buy music,hence the dreadful state of the charts.So pay your money to see Genesis,you'll probably never get another chance!Band tours of that magnitude will pretty soon be consigned to history and the kids will pay to watch holograms of Rihanna and Justin Bieber

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Last time I saw them was 1980 in the Duke tour at Liverpool Empire, just after Liverpool won the League. Phil came on wearing Kenny Dalgish’s shirt. Kenny was just behind me in the audience with some of his Liverpool teammates. A fabulous night and I look forward to saying goodbye in what will likely be the last opportunity to see them."

Genesis and pink floyd were massive in liverpool in the 80s

over a year ago

Got my Glasgow tickets for the added date after the initial sell out. Yes, they were expensive, but the last time I saw Genesis was in Munich so at least this time no flights required. So looking forward to it!

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Get away with what ? Making shit music ? X "

over a year ago

Genesis reform, is that really necessary?

over a year ago

I wanted to go see them but cheapest ticket is crazy money

Surely older bands don’t need the money

over a year ago

"I wanted to go see them but cheapest ticket is crazy money

Surely older bands don’t need the money "

Alimony, it's a killer.