Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Hotel staff

Jump to newest

By *revaunance OP   Couple
over a year ago

Exeter

If you worked in a hotel, would you tell people on Fab that you worked in a hotel they planned to stay in?

Would people want to know that their personal data such as names, phone numbers and email addresses can be seen by someone on Fab, through a works computer?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nah, I'd find that creepy to be fair, unless it was someone I knew and was happy with them knowing that shiz.

P

over a year ago

Well I would assume that the person follows confidentiality procedures for their job role. But why someone would say it anyway is a bizarre question

over a year ago

I worked in a hotel before.

Why would I want to discuss anyone's personal information..?

over a year ago

I wouldn't expect fab to be a factor in hotel staff treating my data with the confidentiality I expect and the law expects.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

No surely that's gross misconduct due to disclosure...

On the other side I'd love to have a swinging hotel if my 6 numbers ever came up

over a year ago

"I wouldn't expect fab to be a factor in hotel staff treating my data with the confidentiality I expect and the law expects.

"

Totally agree.

Btw where did u do ur naked run?

over a year ago

"I wouldn't expect fab to be a factor in hotel staff treating my data with the confidentiality I expect and the law expects.

Totally agree.

Btw where did u do ur naked run?"

A naturist club in Kent. They have 2 a year - brilliant fun

over a year ago

"If you worked in a hotel, would you tell people on Fab that you worked in a hotel they planned to stay in?

Would people want to know that their personal data such as names, phone numbers and email addresses can be seen by someone on Fab, through a works computer?"

omg I'd love it

over a year ago

Totally agree.

Btw where did u do ur naked run?

A naturist club in Kent. They have 2 a year - brilliant fun"

Ahhh i did one in San Francisco!

over a year ago

I already do.

And God no. Data is kept securely and there's laws against it, we actually have regular training for it. To misuse someone's data in any way would be gross misconduct and wouldn't be worth losing my job over.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

How would they know you were on Fab unless you told people here the name of the hotel and room number?

By *revaunance OP   Couple
over a year ago

Exeter

Seems that no one else is concerned, so it must just be us

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"If you worked in a hotel, would you tell people on Fab that you worked in a hotel they planned to stay in?

Would people want to know that their personal data such as names, phone numbers and email addresses can be seen by someone on Fab, through a works computer?"

As a Hotel manager with over 40 years expertise, with specific emphasis on Front of House Operations which includes all aspects of Reception your fears are groundless.

Hotel systems, whether computerised or manually organised, are protected by a series of preventative measures which pre-date all the protective measures we know of today (eg Data Protection Act etc)

It's been enshrined in Hotel Management since the early 1900's, that hotels cannot legally divulge any details of any guest to anyone who asks for them.

Even Police Officers can't ask unless they are investigating a crime but have to provide information to justify their request for guest's details.

Solicitors or lawyers are not allowed to have guest details either.

Yes, there could be a rogue staff member who copies data or sells it on, but in my 40+ years, I've only heard of 2 instances where staff misused data. One was a Front of House manager who got caught; he earned himself a 3 year prison sentence, plus a fine of at least £25k!!

Plus, though it's a huge business, when it comes down to misuse of data, theft etc, it becomes a "very small world" and it closes rank on offenders. These people NEVER work in the business again!

Even for using Credit / Debit cards belonging to Customers, I've had to sit tests, to show I know how and what to do, regarding Security of people's cards.

By *aven RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"How would they know you were on Fab unless you told people here the name of the hotel and room number?"

I'm surprised no one else picked up on this. How on earth would anyone know you were on fab and associate you with your fab name x

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

So many people update their profiles with what hotels they are staying in, it wouldn't be hard to work out.

I guess.

By *incloudukMan
over a year ago

Medway

I work in hotel and everything to do with that is private. We don’t share any details, even to parents if they know u staying but you haven’t told us they can know.

over a year ago

Hotel workers especially Front Office go through a lot of training especially regarding data protection

over a year ago

"Well I would assume that the person follows confidentiality procedures for their job role. But why someone would say it anyway is a bizarre question"

Totally agree, I am in an industry with huge data sets available to certain people and I would never dream of accessing it for personal use. I think maybe vet the people you are speaking to if you have this concern

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'd only tell close friends where I work but would support any customer enjoying the hotel, in the same ways that I would as a customer, whilst respecting their dignity and anonymity.

over a year ago

I have friends that work in a certain hotel that looks right across to a certain swing club lol - they have some stories that's for sure lol

By *incloudukMan
over a year ago

Medway

"I'd only tell close friends where I work but would support any customer enjoying the hotel, in the same ways that I would as a customer, whilst respecting their dignity and anonymity. "

Yes that’s exactly what we do. I will be discrete as that’s my job. Also if they needed help I’d offer my assistance

By *ommenhimCouple
over a year ago

wigan

Would people want to know that their personal data such as names, phone numbers and email addresses can be seen by someone on Fab, through a works computer?

As a Hotel manager with over 40 years expertise, with specific emphasis on Front of House Operations which includes all aspects of Reception your fears are groundless.

Hotel systems, whether computerised or manually organised, are protected by a series of preventative measures which pre-date all the protective measures we know of today (eg Data Protection Act etc)

It's been enshrined in Hotel Management since the early 1900's, that hotels cannot legally divulge any details of any guest to anyone who asks for them.

Even Police Officers can't ask unless they are investigating a crime but have to provide information to justify their request for guest's details.

Solicitors or lawyers are not allowed to have guest details either.

Yes, there could be a rogue staff member who copies data or sells it on, but in my 40+ years, I've only heard of 2 instances where staff misused data. One was a Front of House manager who got caught; he earned himself a 3 year prison sentence, plus a fine of at least £25k!!

Plus, though it's a huge business, when it comes down to misuse of data, theft etc, it becomes a "very small world" and it closes rank on offenders. These people NEVER work in the business again!

Even for using Credit / Debit cards belonging to Customers, I've had to sit tests, to show I know how and what to do, regarding Security of people's cards. "

Twaddle! Brenda the temp because sally is off being pregnant can see personal details, Brenda can do what she likes with that information .... though faces problems if she’s caught. Brenda signed the piece of paper after 15 mins of GDPR training online .... the agreement that Brenda won’t phone mr Smith after she’s been drinking is pretty obvious.... but it doesn’t stop brendas use of the data. 3 years in prison .... I imagine the guy didn’t have a drink then phone mr smith or Brenda but committed more serious crime?! And the very small world.... when applying to the hotel in Torquay the ‘offender’ doesn’t mention his previous history .... and brendas going on maternity after her night with mr Smith.... he knows the system .... you’re hired! Oh and you may struggle with background checks .... due to GDPR...

Post new Message to Thread