Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Viking blood

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was born with abnormally short tendons, it's not much of a problem but it does mean i'm not very flexible. The most obvious manifestation is that when i bend my wrist back to 90 degrees i can't straighten my fingers.

My yoga buddy tells me it's because i have strong Viking DNA, being a Yorkshireman i guess that's possible though i've a feeling she may just be being kind.

Anyone else have this or am i just a freak?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I was born with abnormally short tendons, it's not much of a problem but it does mean i'm not very flexible. The most obvious manifestation is that when i bend my wrist back to 90 degrees i can't straighten my fingers.

My yoga buddy tells me it's because i have strong Viking DNA, being a Yorkshireman i guess that's possible though i've a feeling she may just be being kind.

Anyone else have this or am i just a freak? "

Never heard of this before. Try joining a circus.

over a year ago

"I was born with abnormally short tendons, it's not much of a problem but it does mean i'm not very flexible. The most obvious manifestation is that when i bend my wrist back to 90 degrees i can't straighten my fingers.

Never heard of this before. Try joining a circus."

It's not much of a trick.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

There is some research that indicates that people with tendon problems have Viking ancestry. There's a condition called Viking finger which is something to do with fibrous tissue and tendons. It doesn't sound like your problem though

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"

"

Get yourself off to the carnie freak boy.

Though it appears to be a fairly common occurance.

I have a malformed ankle joint, discovered from recent xray after fracturing it.

over a year ago

It's not much of a trick. "

If you've ever been to a circus they need all the help they can get. You don't see elephants and they don't fire midgets from cannons anymore.

You could be the amazing 90 degree mam.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Anyone else have this or am i just a freak? "

There is a fair chance I have a little angle Saxon. Golden blond hair sparkly blue eyes and good bone structure

Not sure about short tendons as to my knowledge it's the muscles that permit the mobility not the tendon

I'm pretty flexible yet strong but then iv been practising yoga and gymnastics for 35 + years

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

I was told I have Viking blood yesterday but I am also hyper flexible with a high pain threshold. None of which I realised

over a year ago

Sounds like the worst super power ever.

over a year ago

There is a fair chance I have a little angle Saxon. Golden blond hair sparkly blue eyes and good bone structure

Not sure about short tendons as to my knowledge it's the muscles that permit the mobility not the tendon

I'm pretty flexible yet strong but then iv been practising yoga and gymnastics for 35 + years"

Maybe, but the tendons connect the muscle to the bone, if they're shorter than they should be i can see how that could cause a problem. As for the yoga, it probably is possible to undo it but i'm new to the practise.

And i always thought i was more Anglo Saxon too, i guess you can't really tell these things from the outside.

over a year ago

"Sounds like the worst super power ever. "

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I'm pretty flexible yet strong but then iv been practising yoga and gymnastics for 35 + years

Maybe, but the tendons connect the muscle to the bone, if they're shorter than they should be i can see how that could cause a problem. As for the yoga, it probably is possible to undo it but i'm new to the practise.

And i always thought i was more Anglo Saxon too, i guess you can't really tell these things from the outside. "

Think about it you have tendons on both side of the joint!

The length of the fixed point is relatively unimportant it's the potential length of the muscle

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

"There is some research that indicates that people with tendon problems have Viking ancestry. There's a condition called Viking finger which is something to do with fibrous tissue and tendons. It doesn't sound like your problem though"

The problem with that theory is that viking settlement took place at the latest about a thousand years ago so roughly thirty generations. Going back thirty generations we all have over a billion ancestors. Which is far more than the population of the world at that time (various degrees of in breeding account for that). Hence it is virtually certain that everyone alive today in the UK has some degree of viking ancestry.

It's always puzzled me when people talk about their viking ancestry with pride that they haven't worked out the basic maths

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"There is some research that indicates that people with tendon problems have Viking ancestry. There's a condition called Viking finger which is something to do with fibrous tissue and tendons. It doesn't sound like your problem though

The problem with that theory is that viking settlement took place at the latest about a thousand years ago so roughly thirty generations. Going back thirty generations we all have over a billion ancestors. Which is far more than the population of the world at that time (various degrees of in breeding account for that). Hence it is virtually certain that everyone alive today in the UK has some degree of viking ancestry.

It's always puzzled me when people talk about their viking ancestry with pride that they haven't worked out the basic maths "

Mingled with rather a lot of French, and Italian, well European blood

over a year ago

"I was told I have Viking blood yesterday but I am also hyper flexible with a high pain threshold. None of which I realised "

I used to know a young lady who suffered from hyper flexibilty. It's where the ligamemts are too stretchy and her joints would randomly dislocate for no reason. It's an incredibly painful and debilitating condition. You have my sympathy.

over a year ago

"There is some research that indicates that people with tendon problems have Viking ancestry. There's a condition called Viking finger which is something to do with fibrous tissue and tendons. It doesn't sound like your problem though

It's always puzzled me when people talk about their viking ancestry with pride that they haven't worked out the basic maths

"

I hadn't realised i sounded prideful, my bad, and there's a lot of Nordic DNA in the French.

over a year ago

It's not much of a trick.

If you've ever been to a circus they need all the help they can get. You don't see elephants and they don't fire midgets from cannons anymore.

You could be the amazing 90 degree mam."

They dont fire midgets from canons no more ??? ..since when ... ???? ....

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

I hadn't realised i sounded prideful, my bad, and there's a lot of Nordic DNA in the French."

I wasn't meaning you specifically, another one is pride in having Royal blood. There's an article somewhere that establishes that everyone of European descent in the UK has a 99.9% chance of having King Edward III (1327 - 1377) as one of their ancestors.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It's always puzzled me when people talk about their viking ancestry with pride that they haven't worked out the basic maths "

OK well let's just say it's more common in those of nordic descent.

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

OK well let's just say it's more common in those of nordic descent. "

That's everyone in the UK more or less

Post new Message to Thread