Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Outraged rate payer!

Jump to newest

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Just read from a social media platform, a local council in the Midlands is considering buying electric bikes for its parking officers and park rangers. What is a park ranger by the way?

When I pointed this out they tried to justify it by saying it will save walking and they could possibly get a grant or sponsorship.

Is it me?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Yes. Its you.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Yes. Its you."

Fair enough. I really shouldn’t let things like this bother me.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

How fucking dare they try to improve peoples working conditions... the cheek

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"How fucking dare they try to improve peoples working conditions... the cheek"

But it’s not their money

over a year ago

"How fucking dare they try to improve peoples working conditions... the cheek

But it’s not their money"

Well ya technically it is.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I think that you will find that Councillors and council staff pay Council Tax as well.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

its not yours either really your contribution will be tiny

over a year ago

"Just read from a social media platform, a local council in the Midlands is considering buying electric bikes for its parking officers and park rangers. What is a park ranger by the way?

When I pointed this out they tried to justify it by saying it will save walking and they could possibly get a grant or sponsorship.

Is it me? "

They have workers rights like we all do, think you're ready for a holiday op

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Assuming the bikes are for them to use at work to do their job more quickly and efficiently I really don't understand why you'd be bothered.

What next fire officers walking carrying buckets of water and the police roller blading whilst shouting nee naw at the top of their voice?

over a year ago

" the police roller blading whilst shouting nee naw at the top of their voice?"

That would be worth any rates

over a year ago

A Park Ranger: Defined by their ranging around out on the range all day doing nothing but riding. A modern day cowboy!

By *nexpectedExplorerMan
over a year ago

Gower

"Assuming the bikes are for them to use at work to do their job more quickly and efficiently I really don't understand why you'd be bothered.

What next fire officers walking carrying buckets of water and the police roller blading whilst shouting nee naw at the top of their voice?"

Your replies are as attractive as your pics

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Assuming the bikes are for them to use at work to do their job more quickly and efficiently I really don't understand why you'd be bothered.

What next fire officers walking carrying buckets of water and the police roller blading whilst shouting nee naw at the top of their voice?"

Don’t be stupid!

By *d59michelleTV/TS
over a year ago

walsall

Rate payer ? That's going back a bit

over a year ago

You should steal them

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

What next fire officers walking carrying buckets of water and the police roller blading whilst shouting nee naw at the top of their voice?

Don’t be stupid! "

Don't be rude

By *ylvie 888Woman
over a year ago

Cleethorpes

The individual will probably have to get their bike through the 'ride your bike to work' scheme...

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Your replies are as attractive as your pics "

I was unsure if this was a compliment or not....then the OP told me that I'm stupid.

Yes, the same OP that's annoyed because someone's work place is purchasing a vehicle to allow them to do their job.

So either my photos are stupid or I am or he's wrong.

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Don’t be stupid! "

I'm sorry. You are correct. They should all walk. I will not show my stupidity in public again!

By *r Average69Man
over a year ago

Thanet

Reply of the year!!

over a year ago

Working in the Public Sector, my wages came from taxpayers contributions. I am also a taxpayer, therefore I pay my own wages, therefore I am actually self-employed..

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Reply of the year!! "

Why thank you!

By *nexpectedExplorerMan
over a year ago

Gower

I was unsure if this was a compliment or not....then the OP told me that I'm stupid.

Yes, the same OP that's annoyed because someone's work place is purchasing a vehicle to allow them to do their job.

"

Just to clarify your pics are absolutely wonderful, you are beautiful and that should give you some indication of whether I think your reply is stupid or not

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Just to clarify your pics are absolutely wonderful, you are beautiful and that should give you some indication of whether I think your reply is stupid or not "

I thank you for the shower of compliments.

over a year ago

Oh no, someone refund OP the 5p it’s probably gonna cost him personally in taxes to fund the electric bikes

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"The individual will probably have to get their bike through the 'ride your bike to work' scheme..."

I wish. I’ve no problem with that . Anything to encourage more people to ride a bike has to be good.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"

I think you’ve missed the point. I never said you were stupid and what does any of this have to do with your photos? I thought you made a stupid comment. Let’s say instead it was an attempt at humour?

Any cost effective way of increasing efficiency should be applauded. However, issuing traffic wardens and park wardens (rangers?) with expensive electric bikes when a normal push bike would suffice is crazy.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Oh no, someone refund OP the 5p it’s probably gonna cost him personally in taxes to fund the electric bikes"

I think you’ve missed the point.

over a year ago

Whats the actual issue? Park rangers work in pretty shit conditions most do it out of love for the environment also many do it voluntarily. Good on them for improving their conditions

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

I think you’ve missed the point. I never said you were stupid and what does any of this have to do with your photos? I thought you made a stupid comment. Let’s say instead it was an attempt at humour?

Any cost effective way of increasing efficiency should be applauded. However, issuing traffic wardens and park wardens (rangers?) with expensive electric bikes when a normal push bike would suffice is crazy. "

I still don't get your issue. It's a bike that you pedal but helps you to go up hills so you don't have to pedal so hard.

You asked if the issue was yours. I (and I think everyone else) has agreed that it is.

If someone can get from A to B more quickly and do their job more efficiently ....issue more tickets, stop more congestion whatever else traffic wardens do then the extra £500 will be negated in hardly any time.

Councils waste money frequently, get a bee in your bonnet about that instead.

I'd say this is a decent use of my taxpayer contribution.

PS....it wasn't me that brought my photos into the conversation. You'll have to all the person that did.

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

If they can be more efficient at doing their jobs then surely the value for money will be far greater tbh. Sometimes better to work smarter than harder

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"Just read from a social media platform, a local council in the Midlands is considering buying electric bikes for its parking officers and park rangers. What is a park ranger by the way?

Is it me? "

Park rangers are what used to be known as Park Keepers, effectively, they look after parkland, areas of recreation, and in some areas, beauty and wildlife spots, checking on water features, wildlife welfare etc. Anything to manage their Council owned area.

over a year ago

OP it's called smart working, ensuring that they can get their job done quickly and efficiently, yes push bikes would suffice, for a short term, but the amount of distance those poor buggers cover in a day they would be exhausted.

We live in the age where you can work smarter not harder.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"OP it's called smart working, ensuring that they can get their job done quickly and efficiently, yes push bikes would suffice, for a short term, but the amount of distance those poor buggers cover in a day they would be exhausted.

We live in the age where you can work smarter not harder. "

That would make sense in the Dales or the Peaks, but this is Warwick and Leamington Spa. The local parks.

over a year ago

Give them pedal bikes to help keep them fit.

You watch them electric ones get stolen.

If they don't like walking around or using a pedal bike resign and do something else.

Lazy

over a year ago

This reply ends the discussion for me - very well made!

over a year ago

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Give them pedal bikes to help keep them fit.

If they don't like walking around or using a pedal bike resign and do something else.

Lazy "

Thank you.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

This reply ends the discussion for me - very well made! "

How can you equate the emergency response of police and the fire service to the needs of rushing to issue a parking ticket or (hopefully) picking up litter in the local park? Clearly it was a humorous response.

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

How can you equate the emergency response of police and the fire service to the needs of rushing to issue a parking ticket or (hopefully) picking up litter in the local park? Clearly it was a humorous response. "

I was taking the piss.

I think I'm funny. Some would disagree.

I'm here all week!

over a year ago

How can you equate the emergency response of police and the fire service to the needs of rushing to issue a parking ticket or (hopefully) picking up litter in the local park? Clearly it was a humorous response. "

Simply that to do a job an employer provides an employee the facilities to do that job.

Ember gave you examples that highlighted her point very well, but it could have been that refuse collectors get a lorry with better capacity or a post man gets a van rather than a cart.

What the example is does not change the fact that an employer is supplying an employee with better facilities to do their job.

I won’t even start on the ’my money’ comments.

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"Give them pedal bikes to help keep them fit.

Lazy "

That’s one way of looking at it. Another would be from the employer’s:

They need to recruit people to do a job, it’s working outside all day and you need to travel from place to place. Will you get a wider range of applicants if you offer them a pushbike or an electric bike?

If it’s to offer an electric bike and it saves you a few hours on the recruitment process because you can choose the best person rather than the one who wants to pedal all day, the extra cost is already paid for.

Post new Message to Thread