Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Electric cars.

Jump to newest

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man
over a year ago

salisbury

How long do they last? And what's the depreciation rate like?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Depends

over a year ago

salisbury

Looking for one that should last 10-15 years.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

We have a Lexus hybrid same drivetrain as Toyota Prius and they are known to go on a very long time.

Ours is economical and reliable.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Looking for one that should last 10-15 years. "

The problem with electric cars is the battery, you need a new one every 4-5 years I think

By *he Devil rides outMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Last longer than your average car as less to go bang eg no clutch head gasket gearbox etc. Depreciation depends on what you buy really I look on mine as along term thing

By *he Devil rides outMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Looking for one that should last 10-15 years.

The problem with electric cars is the battery, you need a new one every 4-5 years I think"

Nope mines 3 years old and no degregation what so ever

over a year ago

I had a 63 plate Prius hybrid. Maybe due to my driving style I used to only get 54-57mpg.

I can get up to 70mpg in my diesel now.

over a year ago

salisbury

I generally don't pay anymore than 2 grand for a car. So trying to work out which cars i should be looking for in 5 to ten years time.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

The problem with electric cars is the battery, you need a new one every 4-5 years I think"

Nooooo they will last at least 10 years

over a year ago

salisbury

The problem with electric cars is the battery, you need a new one every 4-5 years I think

Nooooo they will last at least 10 years "

Then what happens? What's the value you of ten year old prius these days.

over a year ago

Nooooo they will last at least 10 years "

Ah ok, I knew they had to be changed every so often, just didn't know the interval

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Ah ok, I knew they had to be changed every so often, just didn't know the interval "

I think maybe some manufacturers give at least a 5 year warranty on their batteries

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

OP check out the Speakev forums

over a year ago

salisbury

Ah ok, I knew they had to be changed every so often, just didn't know the interval

I think maybe some manufacturers give at least a 5 year warranty on their batteries "

Is the value of the car effected much after the warranty expires?

over a year ago

salisbury

How many sets of batteries would an EV be expected to go through in its lifetime? With less moving parts and more plastic panels, id assume the car would last longer than an internal combustion powered car, right?

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I think maybe some manufacturers give at least a 5 year warranty on their batteries

Is the value of the car effected much after the warranty expires?"

Perhaps in the case of vehicles like the Nissan Leaf for example.

over a year ago

I have a bmw i3 which i bought in 2014 ive washed it once... its a pig of a car to look at but i use it every other day. I only got it because at the time i was working in london and wanted to beat charges and cheap running costs (i drive v8s the rest of the time so its a good balance using electric every other day)

Its ugly, its dirty, but its bloody brilliant its on 276,000 miles and has never let me down, never have the batteries needed tampering with, never has it failed mot.

By *an For YouMan
over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Batteries last about 7 years then about £7k to replace

over a year ago

"Batteries last about 7 years then about £7k to replace"

Nah you can have single cells replaced now, they test the individual cells and replace them for £40ish per cell, my sister has the rubbish vw etron and its constantly breaking down due to nackered cells, shes had afair few replaced.

over a year ago

salisbury

"I have a bmw i3 which i bought in 2014 ive washed it once... its a pig of a car to look at but i use it every other day. I only got it because at the time i was working in london and wanted to beat charges and cheap running costs (i drive v8s the rest of the time so its a good balance using electric every other day)

Its ugly, its dirty, but its bloody brilliant its on 276,000 miles and has never let me down, never have the batteries needed tampering with, never has it failed mot. "

That sounds good. I'll look out for them in ten years or so.

over a year ago

"I have a bmw i3 which i bought in 2014 ive washed it once... its a pig of a car to look at but i use it every other day. I only got it because at the time i was working in london and wanted to beat charges and cheap running costs (i drive v8s the rest of the time so its a good balance using electric every other day)

Its ugly, its dirty, but its bloody brilliant its on 276,000 miles and has never let me down, never have the batteries needed tampering with, never has it failed mot.

That sounds good. I'll look out for them in ten years or so. "

If it was me id lease one... if you want new.

That was what id initially done as getting a railfair for 3 years was dearer than leaseing it. I should have handed it back at 3 years old but i went 120k miles over the mileage limitations (it should have been handed back on 24k miles it had done 145k miles the cost of the miles extra i had done it meant it was cheaper to buy the thing at the end of the lease.

over a year ago

Its ugly, its dirty, but its bloody brilliant its on 276,000 miles and has never let me down, never have the batteries needed tampering with, never has it failed mot. "

You charge it twice a day then on your 200+ miles every other day trip then. Must do a lot of hanging around at your charge points.

over a year ago

You charge it twice a day then on your 200+ miles every other day trip then. Must do a lot of hanging around at your charge points. "

Not really it stays on charge overnight mine isnt long range but i drive over manchester & rotherham weekly wack it on charge when i get there (free parking) not a issue really. I do london often and not being long range i stop at a services for a 30 min lunch break and its completes the trip. Mines a really early one i did have a new one went mine went in for service and it did london and back on a full charge but that was a new long range model.

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

It’s between 5 to 8 depending on the make but the replacement costs far outway any resale value.

over a year ago

salisbury

That sounds good. I'll look out for them in ten years or so.

If it was me id lease one... if you want new.

That was what id initially done as getting a railfair for 3 years was dearer than leaseing it. I should have handed it back at 3 years old but i went 120k miles over the mileage limitations (it should have been handed back on 24k miles it had done 145k miles the cost of the miles extra i had done it meant it was cheaper to buy the thing at the end of the lease. "

No, i never want to be in debt for a car, (hp is debt imo) hence why i don't spend more than a couple of grand on them.

By *an For YouMan
over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Get a second hand V8. Can’t beat that growl

over a year ago

salisbury

"Get a second hand V8. Can’t beat that growl"

Not sure that would do a month of commuting for 60 quid like i get at the moment.

By *an For YouMan
over a year ago

belfast/holywood

"Get a second hand V8. Can’t beat that growl

Not sure that would do a month of commuting for 60 quid like i get at the moment. "

Definately wouldn’t but it would put the biggest smile on your face every time you drive it

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

I’m going to a talk on Monday about electric cars. I may have the answer lol.

over a year ago

salisbury

Not sure that would do a month of commuting for 60 quid like i get at the moment.

Definately wouldn’t but it would put the biggest smile on your face every time you drive it"

One of my other cars is a v6, I'll stick with for the mo. but i agree, you can't beat the v8 sound.

over a year ago

salisbury

"I’m going to a talk on Monday about electric cars. I may have the answer lol. "

Most IC cars can last 20 years. So id expect longer from an EV to reduce environmental damage.

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

The average full charge for say a Nissan Leaf costs £5.16.

Yes, cheaper than any petrol / diesel but it will be worth next to nothing in 6 years so you do the maths.

over a year ago

Personally id go down the route of a second hand cheap hybrid you see 2 grand toyota prius taxi's with 300+k miles on theyre cheap to tax, battery cells are cheap to replace, and petrol wont be super taxed unlike diesels about to be. 100% electric isnt the answer the grid cant cope and quite honestly theyre far far too expensive. Im a v8 man my others a american v8s the only reason for holding onto my i3 is its just not worth selling its got sky high mileage and at a guess its worth 2 grand, i just see it as free transport and free parking and free tax

over a year ago

salisbury

"The average full charge for say a Nissan Leaf costs £5.16.

Yes, cheaper than any petrol / diesel but it will be worth next to nothing in 6 years so you do the maths."

I'll keep my panda.

By *emma HoldenTV/TS
over a year ago

Ramsey

It is reckoned that the environmental impact of making & then dealing with the scrapping & disposal of an electric car is about 4 to 5 times that if a conventional petrol car. But nobody tells you that. End if life electric cars are parked up with hazardous waste stickers on them & left lying in compounds cos nobody knows what to do with them. It's a massive con & hydrogen will supercede electric in no time.

over a year ago

salisbury

"It is reckoned that the environmental impact of making & then dealing with the scrapping & disposal of an electric car is about 4 to 5 times that if a conventional petrol car. But nobody tells you that. End if life electric cars are parked up with hazardous waste stickers on them & left lying in compounds cos nobody knows what to do with them. It's a massive con & hydrogen will supercede electric in no time. "

Trouble is hydrogen produces water vapour which is by far a greater green house gas than co2.

By *an For YouMan
over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Plus I guarantee electric cars will kill far more pedestrians than normal cars. So many people cross roads / car parks by listening for the approach of a car without necessary looking

over a year ago

salisbury

"Plus I guarantee electric cars will kill far more pedestrians than normal cars. So many people cross roads / car parks by listening for the approach of a car without necessary looking "

They're a devil in car parks for sure.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Our lexus has a 100k or ten year warranty with the hybrid batteries.

It's almost ten years old still drive's like a brand new car and even with heavy driving style return's 55/60mpg more if drive carefully.

Used daily and comfy as hell

over a year ago

"Our lexus has a 100k or ten year warranty with the hybrid batteries.

It's almost ten years old still drive's like a brand new car and even with heavy driving style return's 55/60mpg more if drive carefully.

Used daily and comfy as hell"

whats it like off-road

over a year ago

Definately wouldn’t but it would put the biggest smile on your face every time you drive it"

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Our lexus has a 100k or ten year warranty with the hybrid batteries.

Used daily and comfy as hell

whats it like off-road "

Well probably shit lol

By *avenTinaCouple
over a year ago

Southport

Ah a fellow v8 fan, get something nice and you won't want to listen to the radio

By *il FiskMan
over a year ago

sefton

Only electric car I want is made by Scalextric!!

By *vcarolTV/TS
over a year ago

kilmarnockish

"I’m going to a talk on Monday about electric cars. I may have the answer lol. "

Remember Iceman looks after Maverick!

The cost for an electric cell is a tenth of what it was 10 years ago. The actual full cost of a EV has in most cases purchase/ running / depreciation/ environmental impact has now surpassed that of a conventional fuelled car although some are somewhat behind still.

The USA has invested c.$5. Billion in new plays and research on EV.

I would be thinking it’s just a bit too early to switch to electric, but just hold off for two years, the story will be much different.

7% currently of the worlds car production is EV, this is due to rise to 25% in 2022. Predictions by some take this to nearly 50% by 2025.

Lie ion battery tech will significantly change in the next two years.

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

Nice Porsche Tican

By *iggstimpyCouple
over a year ago

South East

Definately wouldn’t but it would put the biggest smile on your face every time you drive it

One of my other cars is a v6, I'll stick with for the mo. but i agree, you can't beat the v8 sound. "

I have a 5.5 AMG V8..... and while it sounds good (to anyone over 40) it is blown away by the Tesla I have coming next month. The merc would not know which way the Tesla went! It’s a dinosaur in comparison. And my kids think it’s 10 times cooler. The future is electric I’m afraid.

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

One of my other cars is a v6, I'll stick with for the mo. but i agree, you can't beat the v8 sound.

I have a 5.5 AMG V8..... and while it sounds good (to anyone over 40) it is blown away by the Tesla I have coming next month. The merc would not know which way the Tesla went! It’s a dinosaur in comparison. And my kids think it’s 10 times cooler. The future is electric I’m afraid. "

Like most Tesla owners take a look at the bottom of the number plates.

Strangely a lotvseem to make reference to the other really environmentally friendly RRSVR that most will use from Friday through to Monday.

over a year ago

Apparently Ford are guaranteeing the new Mustang Mach-E battery for 8 years

Still can't get over them using the Mustang name on this monstrosity though. Got no problem with an electric Mussie, but not a SUV FFS

over a year ago

Battery tech is changing so fast, these cars will be obsolete in 5 years

over a year ago

salisbury

I have a 5.5 AMG V8..... and while it sounds good (to anyone over 40) it is blown away by the Tesla I have coming next month. The merc would not know which way the Tesla went! It’s a dinosaur in comparison. And my kids think it’s 10 times cooler. The future is electric I’m afraid. "

Certainly for those who can afford it. The rest of us will be forced off the road. I guess that's the "Green Plan".

over a year ago

The motor itself only has one moving part so they should be more reliable, it’s the batteries that degrade over time that I would worry about, weigh that up with the cheaper running costs

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I hope you haven't jinxed it now

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

We had a Nissan leaf at work.

The battery charge wouldn't last a 12 hour shift, but then we drove everywhere at 20 mph, we didn't get the benefit of clawing back some power under deceleration.

This was an early model, the thing had 100 miles range to a battery fully charged.

By *emma HoldenTV/TS
over a year ago

Ramsey

Nissan Leaf cars require special eco tyres to keep the range up that cost £250 each at the moment. They don't last long cos the sheer weight of the car scrubs them down fast. It won't negate the fuel saving but it's something to be aware of. What the Lord giveth in one hand, he taketh away in the other lol.

over a year ago

The cars are only going to get better and better, especially since the electric deadline was moved.

Charge points will have to be made more available and they have 10 years to do it.

No point moaning about it all.

Give it time and all the manufacturers will be fighting over each other with great (or goodish) electric models.

over a year ago

I have a Tesla MX for 7 months and beat car I’ve ever driven.

It’s long range and full charge gives me 329 miles.

over a year ago

"I have a Tesla MX for 7 months and beat car I’ve ever driven.

It’s long range and full charge gives me 329 miles.

"

Best car, sorry cars excite me

over a year ago

Hydrogen: one word: Hindenberg. No need to say anything else is there?

over a year ago

Do anyone know if you can charge an electric car at home and if so how much do I cost?

over a year ago

"Do anyone know if you can charge an electric car at home and if so how much do I cost? "

I have a charger for mine and for about 5 quid I get a full charge.

over a year ago

"Do anyone know if you can charge an electric car at home and if so how much do I cost?

I have a charger for mine and for about 5 quid I get a full charge. "

How far can you drive on that full charge?

over a year ago

"Do anyone know if you can charge an electric car at home and if so how much do I cost?

How far can you drive on that full charge? "

Sorry, just seen 329 miles, very good

over a year ago

"Hydrogen: one word: Hindenberg. No need to say anything else is there? "

Oh, the humanity

over a year ago

Sorry, just seen 329 miles, very good "

Yes, I think it’s the highest range for an EV.

over a year ago

Yes, I think it’s the highest range for an EV. "

That is very good

This is swaying me now

over a year ago

"The cars are only going to get better and better, especially since the electric deadline was moved.

Charge points will have to be made more available and they have 10 years to do it.

No point moaning about it all.

Give it time and all the manufacturers will be fighting over each other with great (or goodish) electric models."

I will stick to my little 500cc teo stroke bike, you can't beat the smell of two stroke oil in the morning.

over a year ago

Yes, I think it’s the highest range for an EV.

That is very good

This is swaying me now "

Test drive a Tesla, maybe a model 3? Or an X

Amazing cars

Post new Message to Thread