FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Corona Virus - should I still go on holiday?

Jump to newest

By *unguy_4_u OP   Man
over a year ago

Kettering

Hi All,

I'm a seasoned traveller but now slightly nervous about a holiday to Phuket I have booked for the end of March.

My concerns are travelling on planes and through airports (especially Dubai or Bangkok) which must be an epicentre contamination and the fact that I might have to self isolate on my return (being away from work for potentially 4 weeks in total)

Anybody have any thoughts or are in a similar situation?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Can we have like a medical or paranoia forums already?

This is really the Brexit thing over and over again.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"Hi All,

I'm a seasoned traveller but now slightly nervous about a holiday to Phuket I have booked for the end of March.

My concerns are travelling on planes and through airports (especially Dubai or Bangkok) which must be an epicentre contamination and the fact that I might have to self isolate on my return (being away from work for potentially 4 weeks in total)

"

I'd say Phuk-Et and go

over a year ago

if you are that worried about catching flu, then best not go outside, ever

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

My work place has already issued me with a laptop, mobile and VPN, so I can work at home. Nobody is panicking but I have been told if I go to Cambodia as I plan in July I may have to work from home for two weeks, depending on the situation.

Must admit flight prices are quite low at the moment as I'm traveling through Bangkok, so tempted to say sod it and book them

By *elly72Woman
over a year ago

glasgow

Anywhere else I’d say yes but on this one no chance would I go

By *jangoMan
over a year ago

Plymouth

I'd still go. Be cautious, mask, wash hands carry sanitiser. I'm off on holiday the 9th March.

over a year ago

Cancelled it , forget the cost your health us more important , if you slip by accident on purpose your insurance may cover your cost for cancelling

over a year ago

What does the Foreign Office advise?

Or your travel/flight operator?

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I understand you have fear, my question is what are you going to do when it is here in bigger numbers stay in? All we can do is take precautions and keeps as healthy as we can in our lives as they are.

By *hezuMan
over a year ago

London

My flight to Philippines got cancelled cause of corona virus

over a year ago

All advice is given as worse case scenario, it's ridiculous how this is being blown out of context.

Worse case scenario if i walk under a bus is death, am I likely to walk under a bus and die? No!!

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"All advice is given as worse case scenario, it's ridiculous how this is being blown out of context.

Worse case scenario if i walk under a bus is death, am I likely to walk under a bus and die? No!! "

You don't look short enough to walk under a bus

over a year ago

"All advice is given as worse case scenario, it's ridiculous how this is being blown out of context.

Worse case scenario if i walk under a bus is death, am I likely to walk under a bus and die? No!!

You don't look short enough to walk under a bus "

Could be an off roading monster bus!

Ultimately OP, it's your health, your life, you do what you think is right. If you're not happy about something don't do it

over a year ago

"I understand you have fear, my question is what are you going to do when it is here in bigger numbers stay in? All we can do is take precautions and keeps as healthy as we can in our lives as they are."

I get that but I get where the OP is coming from.

If I'm going to get it, I'd rather get it here than in another country.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I don't think I'd go but check your insurance before you cancel ~ you may not get your money back.

By *onestjohn1962Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

I’m off to Malaysia and Thailand before Easter. If the government don’t stop me from going then I’m off.

I was in Milan 3 weeks ago ffs! And flew in and out through Paris and Brussels so I think I would have caught it by now.

And it only kills poorly or old people. You have about as much chance of dying of rabies.

YOLO

Go for for it

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I am going out to Singapore flights permitting.

I have however got myself and my travelling companion a rather serious mask.

It’s a little more worrying than people think

over a year ago

"Hi All,

"

no cancel its the only way to survive

over a year ago

"I’m off to Malaysia and Thailand before Easter. If the government don’t stop me from going then I’m off.

I was in Milan 3 weeks ago ffs! And flew in and out through Paris and Brussels so I think I would have caught it by now.

And it only kills poorly or old people. You have about as much chance of dying of rabies.

YOLO

Go for for it"

Hang on what does that mean?

So it doesn't matter because only sick and old die!

That is exactly why healthy people need to do everything in their power to help stop the spread.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"I understand you have fear, my question is what are you going to do when it is here in bigger numbers stay in? All we can do is take precautions and keeps as healthy as we can in our lives as they are.

If I'm going to get it, I'd rather get it here than in another country. "

If I got it I'd rather get it here also. If the number of cases increases and lots of pilots end up self quarantined, how do you get back? I'm not overly concerned about getting the virus as such, quarantined with small kids does or getting stuck somewhere I'd rather not.

over a year ago

"

And it only kills poorly or old people. "

What about the doctor who first alerted us about the virus, he wasn't old or poorly, he was young and fit but he still died

By *hezuMan
over a year ago

London

"I’m off to Malaysia and Thailand before Easter. If the government don’t stop me from going then I’m off.

YOLO

Go for for it

That is exactly why healthy people need to do everything in their power to help stop the spread. "

Well china was using it as population control..

over a year ago

Honestly, we’re all going to die eventually.

Do you have fear every time you jump in your car to go on a journey? How about every winter when you know the common flu is going around?

Sure, I’d say the media is even understating the severity of it! But, you can’t live your life in fear...

I’ve got to travel every month this year for work, in & around Europe. I couldn’t care - if I catch it, I catch it.

over a year ago

YOLO

Go for for it

That is exactly why healthy people need to do everything in their power to help stop the spread.

Well china was using it as population control.."

Who do you work that out! About 2500 people in China have so far died and the new cases are going down every day. That doesn't make any sense.

By *hezuMan
over a year ago

London

YOLO

Go for for it

Well china was using it as population control..

Who do you work that out! About 2500 people in China have so far died and the new cases are going down every day. That doesn't make any sense. "

The virus came out of a biochem lab in wuhan, the whistleblower was one of the first to die, google it

over a year ago

"I don't think I'd go but check your insurance before you cancel ~ you may not get your money back."

Regarding most standard travel policies:

If you cancel outright of your own free will based on the notion that you heard about a risk existing, it will be regarded as disinclination and won’t be settled. That said if you travelled and succumbed to the risk you’d get covered under the medical elements required for treatment, and repatriated if necessary.

If however bookings have been cancelled by the hotel or airline it could be recoverable but even then you could get another hotel or another flight assigned.

I asked an insurance broker

over a year ago

I know I had a memo for a meeting next Monday about wages and illness from holidays and government advice..

seem's and I say seem's as I wont be sure until the meeting that if you go against government travel advice then you wont get sick pay even for isolation periods

By *latinumkittenWoman
over a year ago

from Home Counties to Middle Earth

"I don't think I'd go but check your insurance before you cancel ~ you may not get your money back.

If you cancel outright of your own free will based on the notion that you heard about a risk existing, it will be regarded as disinclination and won’t be settled. That said if you travelled and succumbed to the risk you’d get covered under the medical elements required for treatment, and repatriated if necessary.

If however bookings have been cancelled by the hotel or airline it could be recoverable but even then you could get another hotel or another flight assigned.

I asked an insurance broker "

This ^

I did a webinar on it the other day.

To put this media-led frenzy into perspective, c. 650,000 died of influenza last year (which is about average, annually), and 20% of those had their flu jabs

By *latinumkittenWoman
over a year ago

from Home Counties to Middle Earth

"I don't think I'd go but check your insurance before you cancel ~ you may not get your money back.

I asked an insurance broker

This ^

I did a webinar on it the other day.

To put this media-led frenzy into perspective, c. 650,000 died of influenza last year (which is about average, annually), and 20% of those had their flu jabs"

I would still travel

over a year ago

ive got a really sharp knife in my kitchen, should i go in there?

over a year ago

"ive got a really sharp knife in my kitchen, should i go in there?"

Yes but first you must wrap yourself in cotton wool, bubble wrap and find a giant hamster ball. Make sure you put pillows all around the knife and only touch it whilst being supervised by twelve people through a one way mirror.

By *layfull pairingCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

the biggest unknown is that various countries or airlines etc all have a panic attack and start to close borders or cancel flights and you can’t get home again...

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Hi All,

"

I travel through Dubai most weeks but would avoid Bangkok right now. I’m also using Birmingham instead of Heathrow

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

WORLDWIDE - Covid-19 – latest update

This is a developing situation and some information may change at short notice.

? 82,585 cases of Covid-19 reported; 49 countries including China are now

affected. 4,071 cases identified outside of China. 33,247 cases have

recovered. The death toll has risen to 2,814. Data provided by worldometers

? Italy: The FCO advise against all but essential travel to 10 small towns in

Lombardy (Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano) and one in Veneto (Vo’ Euganeo)

? South Korea: 1,766 confirmed cases. Local transmission in Daegu and Cheongdo; limited transmission in Seoul. Please check with your R&M team for the latest updates as airlines continue to reduce or suspend flights

? Kuwait: Passengers originating from China, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Thailand, Italy and Iran will be refused entry to Kuwait until further notice, according to latest FCO advice

? Bahrain prohibits entry to foreign nationals who have visited China, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea & Iran 14 days prior to their arrival

? Saudi Arabia (KSA): Umrah visa and Visit visa are suspended; tourism visa is suspended for travellers arriving from designated countries. All Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) nationals must use a passport to enter/depart KSA

? Israel: Effective from 1 March 2020, travellers entering Israel from Italy will be required to self-quarantine at home for two weeks

? Hong Kong: Effective from 25 February 2020, entry is denied to all foreign nationals who have visited South Korea within the previous 14 days

? Japan: Entry ban extended to foreign nationals who have travelled to Daegu and Cheongdo in South Korea within the previous 14 days

? Singapore: Effective from 27 February 2020, Singapore bans foreign passengers who have travelled to Daegu and Cheongdo in South Korea. Singapore continues to ban foreign travellers who have visited mainland China in the previous 14 days; the ban also applies to all Chinese passport holders

MALAYSIA

Nationwide demonstrations are likely to continue amid ongoing political uncertainty. Large gatherings are possible in Kuala Lumpur near government buildings and public squares. Expect increased security and roadblocks at short notice.

THAILAND

Severe air pollution - attributed to fires set by farmers to clear undergrowth - is still causing widespread low visibility and disruptions to ground and air transportation, despite government policies to prevent the fires. Air quality issues are likely to continue for several days.

INDIA

Northeast Delhi – Travellers should note there are ongoing violent confrontations against the recently passed Citizenship Amendment Act. Increased security measures will continue in Delhi, Gurgaon and Noida and may include road closures and checkpoints.

EGYPT

Following the death of former President Hosni Mubarak on Tuesday 25 February 2020, security measures have increased nationwide, particularly at sensitive sites including government offices and public areas. The country will remain under a state of emergency until at least April 2020.

FORTHCOMING STRIKES & DISRUPTIONS

UK

Kings Cross Train Station will be closed to all rail services during 29 February-1 March as major work continues as part of the East Coast Upgrade

Scotland: Rail passengers will face widespread disruptions travel for journeys between Edinburgh and Aberdeen/Inverness and from Edinburgh to Dundee/Fife during most weekends in March 2020. Please check Scotrail for the latest updates

Scotland: Edinburgh Airport – Until 29 March, check-in will close 60 mins prior to departure due to ongoing Terminal improvement works

France

Air France's regional subsidiary HOP! will continue planned strike action every Thursday between 06:00 to 18:00 (local time) through to Thursday 30 April 2020

Italy

24-hr nationwide rail strike starting at 21:00 local time on Sun 8 March 24-hr nationwide aviation strike during 9 March; details to be announced

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

You aren’t going until the end of March, a lot can change in a month. Why not wait and see what the situation is by then.

over a year ago

I'm worried because I'm going to the Motogp in Italy in Sept_mber

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"You aren’t going until the end of March, a lot can change in a month. Why not wait and see what the situation is by then. "

My first thoughts were fuck it go, but this is better advice

over a year ago

"ive got a really sharp knife in my kitchen, should i go in there?"
no you could cut yourself and bleed to death and not even realise you had died

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Honestly, we’re all going to die eventually.

Do you have fear every time you jump in your car to go on a journey? How about every winter when you know the common flu is going around?

Sure, I’d say the media is even understating the severity of it! But, you can’t live your life in fear...

I’ve got to travel every month this year for work, in & around Europe. I couldn’t care - if I catch it, I catch it."

This pretty much sums up my view.

I'm offered the flu vaccine every year as I'm in the at risk group. I'm more likely to catch flu from my grandchildren than a stranger in the supermarket.

A colleague returned from Thailand last week and had her temperature taken at the airport, that's it. Another left for Thailand Thursday. My boss was due to go to Italy Monday but was waiting for FO advice as insurance won't cover cancellation if they don't advise against travelling.

My sister lives in Milan and says schools and colleges are closes as are most public places. Her husband has been advised to work from home. She went shopping yesterday and said it was quite, but not as depicted in the Daily Mail.

She says the areas in lockdown are places off the beaten track where people don't go. She said it's akin to saying London in lockdown as corona virus in Bellingham and Belvedere. Bet most reading wouldn't have heard of them.

I'm hoping this is contained soon as I'm planning to visit my sister at Christmas!

By *aastyKnixWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I just got back from Thailand, travelled about a bit from north to south. All the airports, railway and bus stations have temperature screenings of all passengers, just about everyone is wearing surgical masks (they help prevent the wearer from spreading germs rather than catching them) and hand sanitizer is freely available everywhere.

On the train from Manchester to Liverpool there were at least 3 people coughing and sneezing without covering their mouths or making any attempt to limit the spread of their mucus.

Personally I felt quite safe on my travels,including in international airports. I got chatting with an Australian lady who told me she is "in infectious diseases" (I presumed she meant for work) and she wasn't at all concerned either.

I was far more worried about the air pollution in Bangkok,crossing the road and the bout of D. and V. I picked up from eating badly cooked seafood.

I wouldn't cancel my travel plans and I'd go back tomorrow if I could, the only difference being that I'd be more wary on British public transport.

over a year ago

Honestly I'm just thinking that there might be some cheap flights to be had!

over a year ago

"Honestly I'm just thinking that there might be some cheap flights to be had! "
their are but the pilots are all flu ridden

over a year ago

"I understand you have fear, my question is what are you going to do when it is here in bigger numbers stay in? All we can do is take precautions and keeps as healthy as we can in our lives as they are.

this.

I am a frequent flyer, but will not be flying abroad until this is under control

I have no spleen so my immune system is already lowered, I will do all I can to avoid this until a good vaccination is found

over a year ago

"Honestly I'm just thinking that there might be some cheap flights to be had! "

cheap skate, anything to save a buck

over a year ago

I'm not going on holiday in march i refuse to but mays ok

over a year ago

Travel insurance is an absolute must! Can't imagine being caught up with that virus abroad

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

If the Foreign Office/Health Ministry change their advice about overseas travel then travel insurance will be worthless.

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

"My work place has already issued me with a laptop, mobile and VPN, so I can work at home. Nobody is panicking but I have been told if I go to Cambodia as I plan in July I may have to work from home for two weeks, depending on the situation.

Must admit flight prices are quite low at the moment as I'm traveling through Bangkok, so tempted to say sod it and book them "

Sounds like a bloody good reason to book it I say! Cheap flights and you'll have to work from home, in the summer.

over a year ago

I'm off to Phuket in April, I wish I booked the flights now though because I'm sure that I would of got a pretty good deal

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Wait for the progress, including government advice.

Always follow the simple steps to reduce infection potential, wherever you are.

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"If the Foreign Office/Health Ministry change their advice about overseas travel then travel insurance will be worthless."

No it won’t. If you have the cover and have booked to a place that then becomes designated by FCO as “no travel” or “essential travel only” you will be covered.

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

So a question for those that travel a bit (outside Europe) or are intending to:

How’s your vaccination record for everything else?

Typhoid

Yellow Fever

Hep

Tetanus

Quite a few others depending upon where you’re going.

I have my yellow vaccination record card inside the back cover of my passport listing everything to showI’m up to date. Some are life cover, others I need to check in advance of flying and get boosters as needed.

By *ecks74Woman
over a year ago

wrexham

I’m off to Thailand end of March, I have to work from home for 2 weeks when I get home but I’m still going

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"

And it only kills poorly or old people.

What about the doctor who first alerted us about the virus, he wasn't old or poorly, he was young and fit but he still died"

But what killed him?

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"

And it only kills poorly or old people.

What about the doctor who first alerted us about the virus, he wasn't old or poorly, he was young and fit but he still died

But what killed him?"

If you worked 16-18 hours a day in a physically and emotionally demanding crisis .....and had the weight of the world’s media on you shoulders..... AND had an authoritarian government watching your every step; then it’s fairly conceivable that you would have a weakened immune system due to stress and exhaustion

over a year ago

"Hi All,

"

It's not the self isolating it's all of the people you come into contact with on your journey shedding cells everywhere you go .

as long as people keep on traveling it will keep on spreading.

it's like any other virus types and there are 1,000's of them they will make some sick short time and kill off the weak just the same as flu ect.

over a year ago

"I’m off to Thailand end of March, I have to work from home for 2 weeks when I get home but I’m still going "

and if you catch it you will be sharing it with everyone you meet or even touch the same serfaces .

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

Travel in a hazmat suit and pack a spare one, keep 100 meters from every body else and you will be just fine....

By *ooskiMan
over a year ago

south coast

Just go.......

By *ild n NaughtyMan
over a year ago

south Cheshire

"I’m off to Thailand end of March, I have to work from home for 2 weeks when I get home but I’m still going "
well wish I could work from home can not being the outdoors inside with my job

over a year ago

Honestly, I wouldn't think twice about going on holiday. I'm hoping there will be some travel bargains to be had soon

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I will wait until it all returns to normal...I don't want to be stranded abroad

over a year ago

That is suggesting our healthcare is better than other countries. I have it on good authority Malta is excellent and better than my local.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I read a post somewhere else asking if it was safe to travel to a country in Europe, if the supermarkets would still be open. They've had under ten cases.

The OP was met with derision.

Asia... I'm less sure about.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I read a post somewhere else asking if it was safe to travel to a country in Europe, if the supermarkets would still be open. They've had under ten cases.

The OP was met with derision.

Asia... I'm less sure about."

The OP is always met with derision..

By *onestjohn1962Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

Well we had tears last night as we decided that it was not safe to go to Kuala Lumpur on Friday.

Travelling through 3 international airports and sitting in planes for 14 hours before I meet my 1 year old grandson was no longer an option.

I think UK will close the borders and we could get stuck for months.

Very sad now !

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"Well we had tears last night as we decided that it was not safe to go to Kuala Lumpur on Friday.

Travelling through 3 international airports and sitting in planes for 14 hours before I meet my 1 year old grandson was no longer an option.

I think UK will close the borders and we could get stuck for months.

Very sad now !"

This is the latest from Malaysia. Apologies if it’s a long read;

Movement Control Order 18/3/2020 - 31/3/2020

This control order is made under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 and the Police Act 1967. This Movement Control Order includes;

1. General prohibition of mass movements and gatherings across the country including religious, sports, social and cultural activities. To enforce this prohibition, all houses of worship and business premises should be closed, except for supermarkets, public markets, grocery stores and convenience stores selling everyday necessities. Specifically for Muslims, the adjournment of all religious activities in mosques and mosques including Friday prayers is in line with the decision of the Special Mental Health Committee meeting on March 15, 2020.

2. Sanctions cover all Malaysians traveling abroad. For those who have just returned from overseas, they are required to undergo a health check and to do a quarantine (or self quarantine) for 14 days;

3. Restrictions on the entry of all tourists and foreign visitors into the country;

4. Closure of all kindergartens, government and private schools including daily schools, boarding schools, international schools, tahfiz centers and other primary, secondary and pre-university institutions;

5. Closure of all public and private higher education institutions (IPTs) and skills training institutes nationwide;

6. Closure of all government and private premises except those involved in essential services (water, electricity, energy, telecommunications, postal, transportation, irrigation, oil, gas, fuel, lubricants, broadcasting, finance, banking, health, pharmacy, fire, prison, port, airport, safety, defense, cleaning, retail and food supply.

- Prime Minister of Malaysia(Special live telecast 16th March 2020)

I am supposed to be going in May. I don’t mind getting stuck there but not in a transit country where I don’t know anyone.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

"Hi All,

"

Your not going...

By *hedevilKTWoman
over a year ago

milton keynes

Your choice might be out of your hands if airports close I’d say for now think yes but be be aware it could be taken out of your hands

Post new Message to Thread