Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cycling Gurus.

Jump to newest

By *ick_and_Bicker OP   Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

I'd like to ask for you advice on a bike please.

A new job means I have access to the cycle to work scheme and I'd like to take advantage of it.

I have short arms and long legs so need a more upright posture to ride. I'll be doing short road commutes and although I'm a confident cyclist and take prime position, I've not cycled for over 7 years after my sons life was altered by a wanker driver and to say I'm nervous about it is an understatement.

However, the stars have aligned and I'm starting a job close to home and it's all a flat and easy ride.

I wont be cycling for pleasure.

I have a good helmet, lock and high viz but that's about it!

I'm looking at around the £300 mark but I've absolutely no idea where to start.

What tips, advice or knowledge would you like to share?

T.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *linyMan
over a year ago

Manchester/London

Get yourself over to Leisure Lakes cycle shop and let them know exactly what you put here. I’ve heard good things about them and they’re known within the biking community. Sit and try out bikes in the showroom as they can adjust the reach for you, length of stem and check your fit on a bike that would be best suited to you. Also if your helmet is a few years old it may be worth getting a new one, technology has improved massively with helmets such as MIPS and you can’t put a price on protecting your head. They are quite a big company aswell so may be able to discount a better quality bike to fit your price range on the cycle to work scheme.

And hopefully Welcome back to 2 wheels!!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Quite honestly for what you want nip to halfords and look at boardman 'hybrid' bikes theyre fantastically specced for the money. When you start and look at bigger brands such as specialized ect you need to really spend strong money to get a decent build.

over a year ago

I'm not a cycling guru far from it

But I cycle to work every day and use the bike for shopping etc ..

I went to Halfords and got a mid price range womens Carrera.

I also got a £20 care plan so whenever I need anything done to the bike - even if it's to change a puncture the service is free - I just pay for any parts needed which is usually inexpensive.

I slid on some mud in Thursday and came off my bike on my way to work

Luckily I was on a bike path and I wasn't badly injured - but I'm pretty bruised and grazed and hurt all over.

Go slow and careful x

By *linyMan
over a year ago

Manchester/London

Sorry I wouldn’t trust Halfords to inflate my tyres never mind buy a bike from them

over a year ago

^ that them carrera not boardman (boardman are out that price bracket) i ride a carbon specialized and quite honestly it does everything my carrara tdf did the carrera was afew hundred quid the specialized was afew grand its just more refined and quicker on the specialized

Just look at hybrids as they are a good cross over between mountain bike and road bikes. Roadbikes can be teadious for comuting through traffic ect due to seat positioning and mountainbikes are clumbersome for commuting. A hybrid typically has large wheels, road gearing, short travel shocks and skinny tyres

over a year ago

Nottingham

"Get yourself over to Leisure Lakes cycle shop and let them know exactly what you put here. I’ve heard good things about them and they’re known within the biking community. Sit and try out bikes in the showroom as they can adjust the reach for you, length of stem and check your fit on a bike that would be best suited to you. Also if your helmet is a few years old it may be worth getting a new one, technology has improved massively with helmets such as MIPS and you can’t put a price on protecting your head. They are quite a big company aswell so may be able to discount a better quality bike to fit your price range on the cycle to work scheme.

And hopefully Welcome back to 2 wheels!! "

Thanks

I'm actually Brighton way so sadly they are too far away.

over a year ago

Nottingham

"^ that them carrera not boardman (boardman are out that price bracket) i ride a carbon specialized and quite honestly it does everything my carrara tdf did the carrera was afew hundred quid the specialized was afew grand its just more refined and quicker on the specialized

Just look at hybrids as they are a good cross over between mountain bike and road bikes. Roadbikes can be teadious for comuting through traffic ect due to seat positioning and mountainbikes are clumbersome for commuting. A hybrid typically has large wheels, road gearing, short travel shocks and skinny tyres "

Are skinny tyres easier to ride? Lighter?

over a year ago

Nottingham

"I'm not a cycling guru far from it

But I cycle to work every day and use the bike for shopping etc ..

I went to Halfords and got a mid price range womens Carrera.

I also got a £20 care plan so whenever I need anything done to the bike - even if it's to change a puncture the service is free - I just pay for any parts needed which is usually inexpensive.

I slid on some mud in Thursday and came off my bike on my way to work

Luckily I was on a bike path and I wasn't badly injured - but I'm pretty bruised and grazed and hurt all over.

Go slow and careful x

"

Thanks. I used to cycle everywhere but since what we have all been through I'm about as nervous and anxious about it as I can be. I will bloody do it though!

over a year ago

"^ that them carrera not boardman (boardman are out that price bracket) i ride a carbon specialized and quite honestly it does everything my carrara tdf did the carrera was afew hundred quid the specialized was afew grand its just more refined and quicker on the specialized

Just look at hybrids as they are a good cross over between mountain bike and road bikes. Roadbikes can be teadious for comuting through traffic ect due to seat positioning and mountainbikes are clumbersome for commuting. A hybrid typically has large wheels, road gearing, short travel shocks and skinny tyres

Are skinny tyres easier to ride? Lighter?"

Yes much quicker to ride but have slight tread so good on road/gravel ect its a good comprimise

This would be more than good enough for you. Personally id go for the next model up at £350 but this would be just fine

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-1-mens-hybrid-bike---s-m-l-frames-641200.html

By *linyMan
over a year ago

Manchester/London

Are skinny tyres easier to ride? Lighter?"

Try Rayment or Baker St they both have good stock and excellent reviews.

Skinny tyres have less rolling resistance so are easier to peddle but a hill is still a hill of you’re peddling!

over a year ago

For the budget you have I'd suggest trying bikes out at the bike shops and then finding the same bike 2nd hand as you'll be able to get a higher spec bike and stay within your price range

over a year ago

Witnessing how easily bike locks can break or be pick locked I can say there are no good bike locks .

over a year ago

"Personally id go for the next model up at £350 but this would be just fine

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-1-mens-hybrid-bike---s-m-l-frames-641200.html"

I have this bike - but a womens one.

I've had it for nearly 2years now without any problems - it's a good bike for my needs

over a year ago

If you got access to the Cycle to Work scheme then you’ll be spreading tue cost of it all over 12months, the more you spend the more you save.

I did the scheme myself a fee years ago, they allow you to include bike locks & everything you’ll need in the package. I spent about £700 but got s quality D-Lock & security bolts for my wheels & seat.

As for bike specifications/sizes you’ll need to trial a few to be sure what fits.

And as for your fears of cycling, i find that giving yourself plenty of time, never rushing & not trying to compete with cars has always served me well

over a year ago

"Witnessing how easily bike locks can break or be pick locked I can say there are no good bike locks .

"

Not facts.

I’ve had the same bike/d-lock combo for 4 years, i forget the brand name but they’re orange & unbreakable.

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

All locks are vulnerable, you just need to make your bike more difficult to steal that the one next to it.

But I wouldn’t leave my nice bike anywhere remotely dodgy. I have a snotter for social rides.

over a year ago

Nottingham

"All locks are vulnerable, you just need to make your bike more difficult to steal that the one next to it.

But I wouldn’t leave my nice bike anywhere remotely dodgy. I have a snotter for social rides. "

What’s a snotter?

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

In this case my another is a 10yr old 20 speed road bike with a lot of paint damage and mismatched wheels ??

It’s still a light and capable bike, it’s just had a life.

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

*snotter not “another”. Feckin autocorrect.

I’ve seen too many pride and joys damaged in domino topples outside cafes, unclipping fails causing pile-ups, etc.

over a year ago

"Witnessing how easily bike locks can break or be pick locked I can say there are no good bike locks .

Not facts.

I’ve had the same bike/d-lock combo for 4 years, i forget the brand name but they’re orange & unbreakable."

Kryptonite, it took a guy 10 seconds to pick it. They can also be broken within seconds using an angle grinder or hydraulic spreader bar that fits in someone's pocket.

over a year ago

Not facts.

I’ve had the same bike/d-lock combo for 4 years, i forget the brand name but they’re orange & unbreakable.

Kryptonite, it took a guy 10 seconds to pick it. They can also be broken within seconds using an angle grinder or hydraulic spreader bar that fits in someone's pocket."

Really?! Oh shit....

Runs off to check on his bike!!

I’ve been lucky then because in london every other bike rack has a skeleton of a bike d-locked to it...RIP

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

May have already been said but best value for money is Boardman for bikes and based on what you said then I’d go for a hybrid b ur whatever you do get it fit the properly as it will cause injuries otherwise. Stay away from cheaper makes such as Carerra as the group sets they use (brakes, gears etc) tend not to be so good and they also can be heavier bikes

By *ranfondoMan
over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

Best bikes for commuting are Dutch bikes,Gazelle,Cortina,Sparta,Batavus and Union...most have roller brakes or coaster for the rear, all have hub gears of 3,5,7 or 8 even. I do have a customer with a Cube Hyde on 8 speed alfine and belt drive(was £1000 new mind) but all the bikes I have mentioned are pretty much maintenance free apart from an annual service and... the Dutch ones are not hot property for the light fingered element of society

By *orning woodMan
over a year ago

lincolnshire

I’m a mountain biker and would recommend using your local bike shop for advice, tell them your requirements and any decent shop will advise you correctly and sell you the bike that suits your needs and sizing. If you have any problems they will usually sort them for free

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/03/20 18:14:44]

over a year ago

"I’m a mountain biker and would recommend using your local bike shop for advice, tell them your requirements and any decent shop will advise you correctly and sell you the bike that suits your needs and sizing. If you have any problems they will usually sort them for free "

Agreed, support your LBS (Local Bike Shop). So long as it's a good'un, and most are, they'll give you the best after service too (repeat servicing and help etc.) Find a local cycling FB forum to ask the same question as above and ask which the best LBS' are in your area.

over a year ago

I have several bikes for different occasions.

I ride a 650b hardtail on tracks, pumptracks and what not.

I have a jump bike for jumping.

I have a fixed gear bike for commuting.

And like someone said above - I have a bike built from random spares that I use if i know i'm going to be locking my bike up - if it gets nicked id be more annoyed about having to walk home.

Personally id avoid halfrauds, their workmanship is not great at all (im a qualified cycle mechanic) the range of bikes they sell are overpriced for what they are. Your local smaller bikeshop will have something far more suited to you, at a decent price for the spec. Hybrid would probably be your best bet - or if you live in a pretty flat place go for one of those singlespeed vintage looking ladies bikes with the basket on the front.

over a year ago

Hi I am self-employed. I have a Wiggle Grater Charqe(ATB-Road) with Schwalbe Marathon Tyres.The bike for late Autumn to early Spring.It has a carrier and panniers with kryptonite locks.I recommend Decathlon BTWN Triban bikes,clothing etc.I always visit Decathlon Stockport if I buy I bike.They allowed me to ride in the store- bike adjustments etc.LED lights.Why not try an Audax various routes/miles against the clock.Cyclists helping cyclists

By *d59michelleTV/TS
over a year ago

walsall

Not facts.

Kryptonite, it took a guy 10 seconds to pick it. They can also be broken within seconds using an angle grinder or hydraulic spreader bar that fits in someone's pocket.

Really?! Oh shit....

Runs off to check on his bike!!

I’ve been lucky then because in london every other bike rack has a skeleton of a bike d-locked to it...RIP"

Just googled it they can be opened with a ball point pen or frozen then broken with a hammer as well as the obvious angle grinder if they want your bike they'll have it

Post new Message to Thread